As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GOG] Good Games, Cheap Prices, No DRM. Independence War Deluxe!

• Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    D: Damnit just bought a bunch of games there too with their most recent Codemasters sale. They really should send out an email, especially when they get their solution to let people re-download up so we can all backup everything.

EDIT: Although looking at stuff it appears a lot of people are convinced it's a poor marketing stunt.

I dunno it would be one hell of a bad PR stunt if it is, whoever thought it up would be a massive dickhead.

http://kotaku.com/5642141/what-happened-to-good-old-games

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FUUUUUCK FUCK fuck fuck fuck fuck

fuck

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After re-reading the first paragraph on their website, I'm thinking it's a really, really shitty PR move. After all, wasn't what we thought of as GoG just the beta version of the service?

At least, I really, really hope so.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mother FUCKER. I never got around to buying Arcanum.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow that sucks. Really liked that site. I too was planning to pick up Kings Quest 7 from them eventually as the Steam version doesn't work on 64bit windows.

EDIT: There seems to be some speculation that this is a publicity stunt. If it is it is the worst PR move ever, because no one is going to trust them to be there in the future now.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    Mother FUCKER. I never got around to buying Arcanum.

:whistle:You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...:whistle:

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FUCK! As soon as Steam started grabbing up some tastey old games I knew gog.com was in trouble. And the fact their top 10 requested games had remained just that; requested for the past year or so I knew they were in trouble.

I held out hope though. That's a shame, they started something and they deserve all the credit and $$ in the fair world for it. Too bad the world isn't fair. :-(

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    FUCK! As soon as Steam started grabbing up some tastey old games I knew gog.com was in trouble. And the fact their top 10 requested games had remained just that; requested for the past year or so I knew they were in trouble.

I held out hope though. That's a shame, they started something and they deserve all the credit and $$ in the fair world for it. Too bad the world isn't fair. :-(
    Yeah, that requested list read like a list of the games that would get me to actually buy into the service. Great service and potential, but the games never were quite there. Still, I would've bought more stuff if not for this.

Darlan on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There were games on the request list I'd buy for $15-20.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    hobokenthobokent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright guys theres a stream right now of the gog guys announcing that they're re-opening gog with new features and games.

http://www.transmisjeonline.pl/gogconference

hobokent on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basically they had to take the site down for a couple of days to do some upgrades and launch Baldur's Gate on the service and decided to pull a publicity stunt instead of just "We're taking the site down soon, if you need to download stuff do it now. Get ready for a big announcement as well!"

freakish light on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    THREAD TITLE REMAINS IN EFFECT

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I'm done using GoG services. This marketing stunt has been bullshit of the highest order.
    GoG wrote:
    We really are sorry to those who felt deceived. It was done with the best of intentions, hopefully we can make it up to you.

I don't believe you. I wonder why.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No bullshit of the highest order would be using a real dead goat filled with offal to promote your video game

Or maybe having advertisements of your game put on tombstones in a real graveyard

This was fucking kindergarten shit right here, you wanna talk about marketing bullshit, you talk to people who worked at Acclaim

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Anyone who isn't going to use GoG anymore is probably going to miss it. Why bother because of one PR stunt? GoG hasn't made any mistakes before this.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone who isn't going to use GoG anymore is probably going to miss it. Why bother because of one PR stunt? GoG hasn't made any mistakes before this.

Half the people that were upset have a small right to be. The other people that are upset never bought anything from GOG anyways.

solsovly on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A hoax usually should be more lighthearted than "WERE DEAD TO YOU!"

mrt144 on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    A hoax usually should be more lighthearted than "WERE DEAD TO YOU!"
    I have a feeling this is something they understand now.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna buy the shit out of Baldur's Gate. I wonder how it holds up?

JJ on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JJ wrote: »
    Well, for what it's worth I quit playing Dragon Age halfway through to go replay BGII, and ended up finishing that playthrough and enjoying it far more.

I never did get through BGI, though. I wonder if it'll be a four pack of both games and their expansions like that DVD from a while back.

Darlan on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't see this as a big deal.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Baldur's Gate 2 holds up incredibly well, and is still Bioware's best and most ambitious game, as far as I'm concerned. Though it does take time getting used to the sheer open-ended nature of the character systems and structure - 2nd edition is literally ass-backwards.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »

me neither, but I didn't own a lot of gog games and have them all saved on my HD so I was at no risk.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    JohnDoe wrote: »

me neither, but I didn't own a lot of gog games and have them all saved on my HD so I was at no risk.

you were never at risk anyway.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would care about Baldur's Gate, but I heard Torment was better, anyway. And I didn't like Torment, so I don't know where that leaves me.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if you didn't like the combat system in torment BG2 does it much better.

Jars on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Well, for what it's worth I quit playing Dragon Age halfway through to go replay BGII, and ended up finishing that playthrough and enjoying it far more.

I never did get through BGI, though. I wonder if it'll be a four pack of both games and their expansions like that DVD from a while back.

And for what it's worth, I played Dragon Age to completion and enjoyed the hell out of it, and tried to play Baldur's Gate II for the first time a few years back and couldn't even get out of the first dungeon because I hated the UI and controls so much

So I guess... give it a shot?

Or just buy Dragon Age

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've never tried Baldur's Gate, but I have been interested in it for awhile. Maybe I'll take a break from Reach and celebrate gog.com's return with a new game. Although, it would be cooler if they gave all the people who bought games from them during their beta one on the house. :winky:

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How daunting is BG to someone who's not familiar with D&D rules whatsoever? I've always heard about the massive manual.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    How daunting is BG to someone who's not familiar with D&D rules whatsoever? I've always heard about the massive manual.

Have you played dragon age, or even kotor? If so, you should be able to figure it out.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I haven't watched all the videos and stuff yet.

Are they still DRM-free?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    So, I haven't watched all the videos and stuff yet.

Are they still DRM-free?

Yes.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vegan wrote: »

It has an outdated and complicated combat system but it is understandable once you get the basics. It's a variation on the old D&D Second edition rules so they are basically very close to later D&D style games with a few key differences that one quickly notices.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to hold someone down and beat the stupid out of them.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    BG and PST are two of those games that are worth *enduring* the flaws in order *know* the awesome parts.

I can still play any infinity engine game without a hitch, I love them all so much.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I probably won't pick up BG1 until they have BG2 up, so I can install BGT and go to town.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, the servers were up for all of five seconds before getting hammered into oblivion.

That's what you get for using a countdown timer.

subedii on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope you all enjoyed tapping that. But the scheduled maintenance line makes me think they didn't plan ahead for people swarming them at that hour.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope you all enjoyed tapping that. But the scheduled maintenance line makes me think they didn't plan ahead for people swarming them at that hour.

Yeah, what with people frantically trying to download every game they own at the same time to make backup copies and other people buying and downloading Baldur's Gate, GOG's poor servers don't stand a chance regardless of what improvements they've made to the site. :lol:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The schedule maintenance pic is just a generic placeholder they already had and put up now.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png