As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goozex thread: free game no longer avaliable, also: European network starting up

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Supposedly I've still got the new CoD4 in the mail to me, along with Tales of Vespiria now. Neither have used a Tracking Number. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just finished my first trade and now I have 450 points but I can't decide on a game to get! Maybe gta IV or splinter cell: DA?

How/when do the point decreases happen? Is there any warning?

Points are adjusted on supply/demand and retail price, among other factors. A game might gain or lose points; I've had a game on my watch list for a long time and I've seen it go from 100 points to 450 over the course of however long it's been there. You don't get advance notice of point decreases, just an email with the previous balance, the new balance, and the change.

tl;dr no, you never know when one's gonna happen, and it might go up.

freakish light on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Supposedly I've still got the new CoD4 in the mail to me, along with Tales of Vespiria now. Neither have used a Tracking Number. :P

Eh, I never enter the number and I always get one. It's just delivery confirmation anyway, and I think you'll probably be able to tell when it's delivered.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually, point changes do happen on a fix schedule. Whether a particular game will rise or drop is determined by supply and demand. Point changes happen early Monday morning (that is if they stick to the 8 day schedule again).

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Finally got rid of Force Unleashed. Bought it for 14.99 new at GameCrazy a couple of weeks ago when they were having their sale.

I played it for a couple of hours, got about halfway through the game and decided it wasn't too much fun. Thankfully, at 450 points I made a little bit of profit off of it.

The DVD and BluRay news sounds good to me. I wonder what how they'll set up the point values for those.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Too bad there's more DLC coming for Force Unleashed, eh?

Houn on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Not really. I don't usually buy DLC. :P

Aside from the possible point increase, I just wanted to get rid of it ASAP.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    unpurposed wrote: »

Not really. I don't usually buy DLC. :P

Aside from the possible point increase, I just wanted to get rid of it ASAP.

Yeah, I was mostly just making conversation. Not trying to really convince you that you're a bad person for getting rid of awesome games.
    <3

Houn on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm really excited to see how the DVD trading works as I've got a bunch of old anime that I never watch that I'd love to turn into games.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't mind getting a working copy of Army of Darkness, Alien Quadrilogy an maybe trade the Riddick Trilogy and get 3-pack instead of having 3 seperate cases taking up space.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There are so many different "versions" when it comes to DVDs, that I imagine they'll have to use some sort of USBN system.

If I want a copy of a certain movie on DVD, I don't want just any copy. I want a specific run, specific format, specific features included, etc.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    F yeah. I got a copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 for 100 points. Took about a week from the time I put my request up. The copy looks like it's never even been played too.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    There are so many different "versions" when it comes to DVDs, that I imagine they'll have to use some sort of USBN system.

If I want a copy of a certain movie on DVD, I don't want just any copy. I want a specific run, specific format, specific features included, etc.

If you notice, they already have a thing where you can search for games by UPC code. I imagine it'll be the same for movies, though people listing them could do it wrong. I imagine they'd encourage people to just type in the UPC to register it with the system.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So, I keep putting Katamari on hold (partly because I wanted Shady to get it, and partly because I didn't have the money to ship it until I got my paycheck), and every time it comes back up it's the same dude wanting it.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ha ha. I was wondering what happened with that. I guess you're the only one with a full copy at the moment and he always gets first dibs. It's an endless cycle.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    F yeah. I got a copy of Metal Gear Solid 2 for 100 points. Took about a week from the time I put my request up. The copy looks like it's never even been played too.

Once, I got a complete copy of Sons of Liberty in perfect condition for 100 points, and then traded in my disc-only copy for 150 points, because the value went up.

It was awesome.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Prototype PS3 goin' up! Because I'm done with it.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I got it in just in time for my 360 to die. D:

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, I should probably put infamous up down that I've platinum-ed it, before it starts dropping in value

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, I should probably put infamous up down that I've platinum-ed it, before it starts dropping in value

With 260 active requests you've probably got a few days before that happens. :P

adytum on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guh, I think I might be putting up Mass Effect within the week. I've had it for awhile but I just started it. I don't think I like it very much, especially the combat. I was not aware that this was a shooter in RPG's clothing.

I'll give it some more time though, I might be able to get into it but I dunno...although I kind of don't want to waste the strategy guide I recently bought, though it was only a few bucks.

Schide on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I keep putting Katamari on hold (partly because I wanted Shady to get it, and partly because I didn't have the money to ship it until I got my paycheck), and every time it comes back up it's the same dude wanting it.

This is the system working as intended! You aren't meant to be able to screw with the queue so your buddy gets the game over the poor sap who put himself in line and has been waiting patiently.

You won't get matched up with Shady until someone else puts a copy up for trade so just let the poor guy get your Katamari and Shady will get the next one in line. Shady won't get his any quicker with your faffing and meanwhile this guy is being made to wait unnecessarily.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got my trade credit, and 600 points, any suggestions? (360, PC)

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Got Tales of Vesperia today; works great, everything's in great condition, and he threw a pack of Guardians cards in as a freebie. Pos + Tip.

Still waiting on CoD4 #2. Tried to PM the guy; his account doesn't exist anymore. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    Guh, I think I might be putting up Mass Effect within the week. I've had it for awhile but I just started it. I don't think I like it very much, especially the combat. I was not aware that this was a shooter in RPG's clothing.

I'll give it some more time though, I might be able to get into it but I dunno...although I kind of don't want to waste the strategy guide I recently bought, though it was only a few bucks.

Give it another shot. The "Shooter" aspect of it is very, very mild. If you really don't want to bother with that side of it, turn the difficult all the way down.

Figgy on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, Mass Effect's shooting mechanics are weird until you understand them. Essentially, if something is in your reticule, you have a certain percent chance of hitting it. You raise your stats to increase that chance rather than aiming more precisely.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, it's not so much the exact mechanics of the shooting as it is that there's shooting at all. I just don't like shooting games for the most part, at least ones that control like this. I'm just not very good at them. I was hoping it was going to have combat more like KOTOR or something but oh well.

I suppose I can just treat it more as an adventure game and just play it for the story, which seems decent, and just keep playing and hope I get better at combat. I think I'll be ok at it, but on thing I've noticed is that I hate the ally AI because they keep standing right in front of me and don't seem to ever want to respond to the squad commands.

But this isn't the Mass Effect thread, so that's all I'm gonna say about it. I'll probably be putting it up on Goozex though, whenever I'm done playing it.

Schide on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God fucking damnit. One of my trades auto-closed. How much notice of that does it even give you?? I don't check the site for ONE DAY and I lose 250 points (I suspect he didn't ship it, because he has 3 auto-close positives and the only manual feedback was negative). Fucking christ.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    God fucking damnit. One of my trades auto-closed. How much notice of that does it even give you?? I don't check the site for ONE DAY and I lose 250 points (I suspect he didn't ship it, because he has 3 auto-close positives and the only manual feedback was negative). Fucking christ.

That's odd. You usually get two e-mails letting you know the trade is about to auto close. One at 5 days before the close and another at 2 days.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    E-mail Goozex and let them know, if you e-mail them the day it auto-closed, maybe they'll give you a break and reverse it for you.

When is auto-close? 21 days? I forget.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    21 days from the day you accept the trade.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I e-mailed Goozex asking what to do about the CoD4 that "shipped" from the guy who's account no longer exists. It's been 10 days since it "shipped" with no sign of it, and no way to contact the seller.

They sent me a copy paste response about how to leave feedback. Of course, that doesn't tell me if I can get my points back from an account that's no longer there!

I left a Neg now, just to be sure it doesn't roll.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Leave game not received feedback or "Disc broken" feedback with the comment "Goozex admin approved."

That's what it says, right? So go ahead.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rule of thumb is to always leave negative feedback if the account is closed or banned. It's almost guaranteed you aren't going to get anything when that happens.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some Goozexers are awesome, and some are weird.

I had a copy of the Dreamcast Seaman, without the manual and windscreen for the mic - but didn't want to list it as a disc only, figuring that people would then assume that I dont have a mic to send them (which you need to play), so I listed it as full package. I got matched instantly and e-mailed the guy, telling him my situation and saying I didn't want to mislead him at all, and that he'd be getting a working copy of the game, a working mic and a new case - just no manual. He thanked me and was really appreciative I listed it the way I did, because he didn't select anything other than 'full package' because he needed the mic. Great guy, great interaction.

I then got matched with someone for my Dreamcast Code Veronica, and because I was feeling nice, e-mailed him quick saying I had stickers on the jewel case, and normally would just swap cases out, but I dont have any spares that can hold a 2-disc game. He requested a cancel, saying he already had a perfect copy of the game, and was using Goozex specifically for a new jewel case for it. Ooooooook. Nice guy nonetheless though! Seems like a weird way to get a new case, however...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Rule of thumb is to always leave negative feedback if the account is closed or banned. It's almost guaranteed you aren't going to get anything when that happens.

And even if it does come, if the acount no longer exists, it's not like they'll be hurt by negative feedback

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't check the email Goozex sends reminders to, because it sends so many god-damn emails about point changes etc and I don't want that crap to fill up my real inbox.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I have an e-mail filter in gmail that labels it all as Goozex and archives it. I can easily see when they send e-mails, but it's not sitting in my inbox.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I don't check the email Goozex sends reminders to, because it sends so many god-damn emails about point changes etc and I don't want that crap to fill up my real inbox.

Really? It's one email a week at most, aside from the ones that tell you there is a game requested/on the way.

Figgy on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, Goozex encourages such poor decisions.

I got Dead Or Alive XTreme 2. In college we liked to play the first one. Have some beers, play the blackjack in it, and then play a decent arcadey style volleyball game with computer girls. Good times had by all.

The second one is so, so horrible. So horrible. I feel weird and wrong and it actually REMOVED being able to play volleyball against a real human sitting next to you. Goozex points dont feel like real money, so I said what the hell. I'm now 17th in the queue to get rid of it.

Real money makes me look up stuff I want to make sure its worth it. Goozex is dangerous.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow