As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Cosplay (and Cool Gear) Thread <3

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    Ravenclaw movie version or Ravenclaw book version?

Either way, I know there's a harry potter costume shop in Los Angeles. If you're looking for something quicker/easier... check local thrift stores, Macy's usually has a good selection of ties... Do you have TJ Maxx/Ross/Marshall's down there?

Your price range makes a difference, but a lot of those places you can look at the online catalog, and call the store to see if they have the matching item.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!

I ordered from a web retailer on BrokenAngel's advice in the Triwizard thread. It's the "officially licensed" one, which is the movie version and what I was looking for anyway. Except I don't recall seeing the house crests on the ties in the movie. Unimportant, that bit should be hidden under a sweater anyhow.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    AznTranquilityAznTranquility Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I posted this over in the Triwizard Drinking thread, but I think I might have better luck here.

So, granted, this is a bit last minute, but does anyone know where I can get my hands on a tie that matches the Ravenclaw pattern? Something I can pick up at the mall or somewhere similar would be preferable, I'm not sure I trust shipping to get it to me in time at this point.

get the base color tie at a thrift store for cheap.
    buy the stripe color fabric paint (about a $1.50)
    use masking tape to make a border of where the stripes will be
    paint them on...
    it's what i did for slytherin cosplay and depending on how careful you are with the stripes, the results can turn out real good.

AznTranquility on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My wife and I are probably going to try to dress up friday. She'll be going as V for Vendetta, at least with the mask and hat. I'll be attempting a Dark Knight Joker with a cheap suit of almost-right colors, but it should be fun nonetheless. Long as I can make my old halloween make-up work to make a good smile.

Dyrwen66
    Costume: Joker, friday, maybe saturday.
    Events: I'll probably be at the Exhibition halls each morning.
    Status: About 90%. I've got a 50$ suit off Amazon that's almost the right color purple. I'll use those pants, maybe the jacket. Otherwise I've got a blue collared shirt, a green vest, and a tie. No gloves so far. Might manage to turn my hair into the right look with some gel, but it won't be blond-ish at all. Depending on the make-up quality I might still be wearing my glasses.
    Notes: Amazon.com used sections were used for all my gear. Including my wife's mask/hat.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Suggestions for replicating an AMT hardballer that neither get me shot by enforcers nor look completely tacky?

I guess I could always just bring some piano wire, but I've gotta admit, with my rampant ADD, I like shiny things.

Loser4Now on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Where is Lyanth?

Has anyone spoken with after August 7th (the last time she was on these forums)? Has she been in the IRC chat?

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ack, that's a good question: with the pre-PAX chaos, I didn't realize she had disappeared! =( =( Where you at Lyanth?

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lyanth is moving residences and changing jobs and all sorts of heavy, time-consuming stuff. It is not surprising that her time-wasting on the forums is curtailed.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ahh... =( Will she be at PAX?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lyanth is moving residences and changing jobs and all sorts of heavy, time-consuming stuff. It is not surprising that her time-wasting on the forums is curtailed.

Last time I checked, that is better than being murdered. Which is what I was thinking because I often imagine
    the worst. I am glad that she is not dead.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She'll still be there, just busy during the run-up.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Who isn't busy right now?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

I'm not really all that busy.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

I'm chill.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    KryptaraKryptara Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woot! My costume is nearly done! My belt buckle is done and awesome, I'll post photos later. It's a gold colored skull. All that's left to do attach the buckle to my belt and finish the thigh strap connectors. It's looking very cool. I'm super excited about PAX; just a few short days away! :D

Kryptara on
  • Options
    GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I just got back from day 2 of my local anime convention and man should I say there are tons of cosplayers here and there. If anyone wants to see pictures I'd be willing to link the sets here but it won't be here tomorrow since I've got another day to attend and about at least 150 pictures from day 1.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • Options
    JambnineJambnine Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I'm a little shocked that the cheap red trucker's hat didn't catch fire during the iron-on transfer process (I bought 2, just in case) but it seemed to come out just fine. My Carl (the Deep Crow Exterminator) costume is now 100% complete. I can't wait to see everyone next weekend!
    2792400626_31eba99649.jpg

Jambnine on
    ~Jambnine
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ahh... =( Will she be at PAX?

We're sharing a room and she hasn't said otherwise.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ahh, phew, good dealin' =)

Also, great job Jambnine! It looks fantastic!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jambnine wrote: »
    I'm a little shocked that the cheap red trucker's hat didn't catch fire during the iron-on transfer process (I bought 2, just in case) but it seemed to come out just fine. My Carl (the Deep Crow Exterminator) costume is now 100% complete. I can't wait to see everyone next weekend!

This rocks so hard. Can't wait to see you at PAX

...I wonder if someone is going dressed as a Deepcrow, and will be there to swoop you away? Then you can confuse it with a detachable thumb trick....

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to finish gluing the key portion back on the Keyblade (i had to redo it because it was too flimsy) and come up with shoes. Zephyril will be down to the wire.. while practicing for the SSBB tourney (that aparently we are now doing), he noticed that there were 3 pieces he had not done yet...

**sigh**

it's getting there. :D

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    KryptaraKryptara Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    runwiled wrote: »
    Jambnine wrote: »

This rocks so hard. Can't wait to see you at PAX

...I wonder if someone is going dressed as a Deepcrow, and will be there to swoop you away? Then you can confuse it with a detachable thumb trick....

I've been making him practice the detachable thumb trick, but it's really hard in gloves! I can barely do it normally. But someone dressed as the deeprcrow would be awesome. Or maybe just a feather boa would do. :P

Kryptara on
  • Options
    softlydeftlysoftlydeftly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so i'm going to be sonic, this is my first time at pax, will sonic the hedgehog be cool or totally lame?
    I also may not have anyone to gowith if there are any kirkland girl pax attendees going who want some company... I'm 21...uh...female.... uh... going on saturday...dressing up....uh yeah :)

Costume: Sonic the hedgehog, saturday all day
    Events: not sure.. .probably be at the bungie booth a lot
    Status: need the paint for the bod and hair...got the boots and gloves..
    Notes: I hope it won't be totally inappropriate and/or lame! and I hope I won't be all alone...

softlydeftly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, that's awesome softly! Excellent! =)=)

It's going to be great! =)

It would only likely be inappropriate if you're doing it by going naked and covering yourself head to toe in blue bodypaint. Aside from that, if you have some level of clothing it'll be fine! In fact, it'll be awesome! =)=)

(Granted, some might argue that if you go naked THAT would be awesome as well (we no doubt will hear from them in responses soon =) ), but it might get you kicked out of PAX =) )

And you should come to the Pre-PAX dinner to meet people if you're concerned about not knowing anyone! It's going to be an awesome event, and a good way to meet people before the BIG crowd =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've decided that while it'd be fun, I'm not going to cosplay (this year)
    The closest thing I might end up doing is wearing my Chef's jacket, and no, I'm not bringing my knife set.
    If I'm lucky (which is unlikely) I'll make a set of Halo armor within the next year, probably not, I'm taking college classes next year for High School/College Credit, so I'll be REALLY busy, but you never know, But If I somehow manage to do it, I'm SO wearing it to PAX next year.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I have a sonic screwdriver.

And a tie.

So I'm going to go as the 11th Doctor.

Also, I wear heelys.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HI GUYS! I'M BACK!

Since about 5 new pages of thread have popped up since I disappeared about two weeks ago, I will make a more official post in a bit. Just poking in to say hi before I go and do OP-updating stuffs. But I want you all to know that I've missed you and I am muchos excited to see you all in a few days!

<3<3<3<3<3

[Edit] Moe, did you mess with my OP? :( sad, i've been away so long that a mod had to intervene. /sigh

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, I'm double posting. Get over it Moe. (and also, i'm making up for all the posts I missed.)

So! After about two hours of work, I got the OP in working order again. IF YOUR INFORMATION ON THE OP IS INCORRECT, MISSING, OR OUT OF DATE, PM ME WITH THE PROPER INFORMATION AND WHERE YOU ARE LISTED SO I CAN FIND YOU AGAIN. I mean really, that thing is hard to navigate when the spoilers are text only >.< Otherwise, seems like you guys have done fine without me :/

So, in exchange for my story, will someone PM me with whats been going on in the forum? I'm talking about the important stuff: Whats the meet-up spot/time for the pre-pax breakfast? Wheres the Button PDF? Is someone not coming to PAX that we thought was? etc etc etc

m(_ _)m <<< bows in thanks

So here's why I haven't been around:
    I moved yesterday. My apartment is great and the move went roughly smooth-ish. However, with the move I had to find a new job. So last week I spent two whole days in seattle job hunting. I got a temp job at a smoothie place, which is great (I start tonight). However, this put me two days behind on my Zero-Suit. the wig is finished (yay!) but the actual suit needs A LOT of work. So right now I'm trying not to freak out about the fact that I may have to work on it thursday night in the hotel room. Or not even wear it at all. At which point I would probably cry all PAX, all things considered.
    In another fun note, I won't be bothering about hooking up my apartment with internet until after PAX (cardinal sin, I know), due to having to deal with everything else. Hence, I will be using the computers here at school, so sadly I won't be online at the drop of a hat. I should be back tomorrow and Thursday mid-morning, though.

So if you need me or anything, PM ME! The last time I'll be online before PAX should be Thursday, 8/28! (probably around 11 am)

Keep up the awesomeness!

[Edit] I had pictures of my finished wig for you guys, but I haven't even put my computer back together, let alone try to figure out how to get them to the school computers. and no, I don't have anything even similar to a thumb drive. I'm not as cool as these people.

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Welcfome back Lyanth! It's really good to hear from you again! I'll PM you after work with juicy gossip! Er... well, maybe not juicy gossip, but I'll PM you =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I'm basically done with the Waldo.

I tried to find those really round glasses that he always wears, but no go. I might just goto the dollar store and see if I can't snag a pair of those really big bug-eyed sunglasses and just pop out the lenses. If not, I already wear glasses, so I hope it's close enough.

anyway... here's The primary outfit:
    2797768425_b7cf8c4883.jpg

And I also have a back-up shirt in case some food finds Waldo:
    2798613518_405c8f3a2e.jpg
    I know it doesn't look as Waldo-ish as the primary shirt, but I think it will work enough if an emergency arises.

Also, if nobody objects, I'm actually going to be wearing the same shirt and pants all 3 days to cut down on the amount of things I have to drive cross-country.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    YES!! Lyanth is baaaack. Lyanth is baaaack.

*Does the Ghettofied White-Washed Cabbage Patch*

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It'll do well Qs! It looks good!

If you need the second shirt, you can say it's waldo's "trendy new look". =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm from kirkland and I'm going to PAX saturday dressed/painted (hopefully) as Cortana - someone convinced me to switch from sonic to her - and no one I know will go with me so basically I was wondering if there were any other girls going who'd want to meet up or ride together... I know people who are going to be there but to be honest I don't really want to walk in on my own. So yes, in case you were still wondering, this IS just a pathetic post from someone too pathetic to have the kind of friends to go to PAX with. And holy crap will I feel like even more of an idiot if no one replies. : )

softlydeftly on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Probably not, cosplay in general isn't that big a feature at PAX. I wouldn't worry about there being too many other Cortanas.

Aydr on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I don't want you too feel like an idiot so I'll post but I'm unlikely to be much of a help.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fear not!

...for I have replied.

edit: You will rue this day, randomfool!

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HotSake wrote: »
    Fear not!

...for I have replied.

edit: You will rue this day, randomfool!

Mwhahaha! I am victorious!

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    thanks guys...thanks a lot.

softlydeftly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You were missed hun. Glad you are alive and all :D

See ya in 2 days!!!

Whytmage on
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    thanks guys...thanks a lot.

Are you coming to the pre pax dinner?

Whytmage on
  • Options
    NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have some pieces to fix but dressing up for a day might be enjoyable.
    Nightingale
    Costume: Summoner Yuna (FFX) Saturday (possibly other days)
    Events: BYOC
    Status: 90% It is recognizable but due to several years in storage, it requires touch-ups
    Notes: I wore this in Bellevue for PAX 2005. I unfortunately was not able to complete my costume of choice for PAX 2008.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.