As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New iPod: Product Replacement Plan or Apple Warranty?

Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A! I just purchased a sleek new iPod Nano from Best Buy, and I have 14 days to purchase Best Buy's 3 year product replacement plan. It costs me $30. It doesn't cover physical damage (screen cracking, etc.), but it covers pretty much everything else and they will give me a brand new iPod if mine goes bad.

Now, Apple has a limited 1-year warranty that covers pretty much the same thing. I could add AppleCare on top of it to extend the warranty to 2 years. The AppleCare is $40.

It seems to me like the product replacement plan would be a better way to go... what do you think, H/A? Does anybody have any experience with Best Buy's product replacement plans, specifically with the iPod?

TL;DR: Purchased iPod Nano at Best Buy, should I purchase a BB product replacement plan for $30, go with AppleCare for $40, or go with neither and just use Apple's one-year warranty for $0?

Thanks!

Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
Buddy Lee on

• Options
    supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It sounds like BB's plan is the better choice. I'm surprised though that they can offer it on ipods though.

supertall on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does the Best Buy plan include battery replacement?

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yes it does. So does Apple's included 1-year warranty... however, I haven't wore the battery down enough on my previously owned iPods in one year's time to warrant a replacement.

The Best Buy plan covers battery replacement for three years, I believe. That's a major plus.

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't bother with a warranty on a Nano since they use a flash drive and tend not to break. But if you must, go with the applecare. BB's warranty service is terrible. I bought it for my PS2 a few years ago and when I had to use it BB took more than a month to replace the thing.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    saltiness wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with a warranty on a Nano since they use a flash drive and tend not to break. But if you must, go with the applecare. BB's warranty service is terrible. I bought it for my PS2 a few years ago and when I had to use it BB took more than a month to replace the thing.

Did they fix your PS2 or did they just give you a new model? Because from what I understand, they just give out new models now.

Does anybody else have any experience with BB's Replacement Plans?

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's best to go with neither and save the money. Unless peace of mind is super important to you.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My iPod actually broke shortly before a year and under Apple's warranty, they replaced it with a refurbished model. So if Best Buy replaces it with a new iPod, I'd go with that.

Generally I agree with the sentiment that store warranties are a waste of money, but just a few days ago the TV in my bedroom (1 year and 1 month old) brokedown and that $40 warranty saved me $600.

Invisible on