Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Deleting Vista Home Shadow Copies: A quick & dirty solution

autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machineRegistered User regular
So I've wondered, is there an easy and comfortable way to delete the volume shadow copies in vista home professional?
And am I right in assuming that deactivating the volume shadow copy service has no negative effects, or is it not a good idea because other windows tools need it too?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
autono-wally, erotibot300 on

• GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I've wondered, is there an easy and comfortable way to delete the volume shadow copies in vista home professional?
    And am I right in assuming that deactivating the volume shadow copy service has no negative effects, or is it not a good idea because other windows tools need it too?

Up to you, I think it may break windows update though. If an update goes wrong it relies on shadow copies to my knowledge. (I think)
    I believe it'd also break system restore too, so if you use system restore you won't be able to use it.

I'll boot into my vista partition later and check.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hm, ok
    So how do I delete the files and where are they stored? I think the shadow copies are taking up about 20GB, and all that for files which I have already on backup disks

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anything? shadow explorer allows me to view the files, but I would like to delete these absolutely unecessary backups altogether
    edit: apparently, running "vssadmin" in an admin dosbox lets me change the max size and various other settings of the volume shadow service
    hmm..
    vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=300MB

apparently resizes the vss storage space to minimum size and deletes all files. I did that and then set the size back to 30GB.
    Got 30 GB Hdd space back :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Start>Disk Cleanup>Advanced>System Restore and Shadow Copies

Azio on
    edited July 2008
    that advanced tab doesn't exist in the vista home versions unfortunately, it was my first google result :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow that's ridiculous, surely there is some way to enable it.

Azio on
    edited July 2008
    eh, that command seems to do the trick.. but yeah, having an official way to do that would be kinda.. better
    anyone got an idea?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I made a .bat file called vssdelete.bat and put these two lines in it
    vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=300MB
    vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=30GB

Running it as admin will basically delete everything but the most recent system restore point
    Change the "/MaxSize=30GB" part to whatever "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (again running cmd as admin) tells you you have set before, or don't use that line if you want it to stay that small and not waste hdd space

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg