As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You are currently talking about Diablo 3

• Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    I only lurk in the D3 threads, so I don't keep up on 'em quite fast enough to have replied to him immediately.

I just think the PA forums should be a better place than one where a dissenting opinion from the majority means you're continually told to shut the fuck up over and over again, just in relatively polite language as compared to everywhere else on the net.

I'm trying to think of a hilarious ironic joke as a reply to your post but I'm failing. Help me come up with something so other's can appreciate it, too! :)

I think it may solidify your (somewhat correct) notion of our boards. Heh.

Monsty on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I only lurk in the D3 threads, so I don't keep up on 'em quite fast enough to have replied to him immediately.

I just think the PA forums should be a better place than one where a dissenting opinion from the majority means you're continually told to shut the fuck up over and over again, just in relatively polite language as compared to everywhere else on the net.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen, or say what you want to say and then that's the end of it. Nobody forces anyone to have a contrary opinion and keep discussing it if there is no further point to be made.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nobody forces you to have a consenting opinion and keep discussing it if there is no further point to be made either.
    If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen

lol (haven't heard that in a while)

Pot to kettle: you are black. Don't like that people disagree with you? Cope.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen, or say what you want to say and then that's the end of it. Nobody forces anyone to have a contrary opinion and keep discussing it if there is no further point to be made.

You're right, some people do that all of their own volition. :P

So how about those Diablos?

W2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pot to kettle: you are black. Don't like that people disagree with you? Cope.

I'm hardly the pot to the kettle, I have a very contrary opinion in the FO3 thread and yet I don't care if people flame me for it. I do not post what I think for other peoples approval or the edification of my opinions. I post what I think because it's what I think and I have X reason for why I think. At some point, there is nothing further to be gained from discussing something and it's time to move on to some other point (Eg the Child Killing argument).

There is nothing that can be said about the "Colour" argument in Diablo III. It is unlikely Blizzard are going to retexture and redesign the visual look of their entire game at this point in development, plus we haven't seen how all the environments look.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    simply discussing color makes you a bad bad person, regardless of which side you take.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    W2 wrote: »

so, Amazons.

Will you be able to play guys or just women and women with short hair cuts and flannel shirts?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »

so, Amazons.

Will you be able to play guys or just women and women with women with short hair cuts and flannel shirts?

Amazon sex slave?

:winky:

Aegeri on
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

so, Amazons.

Will you be able to play guys or just women and women with short hair cuts and flannel shirts?

obviously amazon women will be all kinds of sexy

amazon men will be disguised as women.... still sexy, but in a she-man kinda way

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Whether you like the art style or not, stuff like this:

Turner_Tintern1.jpg

Not cartoony.

Savant on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That ain't a screenshot of D3.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What do you mean, nothing that can be said? Nothing useful? Nothing that hasn't already been said? People have the right to voice their opinion even if other people have voiced that same opinion before, and realistically it's not like these threads are anything more than a continual rehash of the same information followed by group analysis of new info followed by further rehash. This isn't some PA groupthink D3 information compendium, it's a discussion about D3 where the same shit's been repeated a million times already. Who cares? That's the nature of a forum, and you put up with it because you still get a lot more entertainment out of it than you do out of watching some d3 video and discussing it with your cat.

Prior to the comment which elicited my post, and in general ever since the first too-bright-or-just-right argument, there's been a lot more complaining about people who dislike the art direction than there's been about the art direction itself. As observed by someone who's a lot more interested in D3 than he was in D2 and 1.

I find that this is a new trend in the forums. As big studios release sequels to games that fans are really anticipating, you basically get what amounts to software fanboys defending any choice their publisher makes to the death, arguing with software purists attacking any deviation from the norm of their previous beloved product.

Either way it just makes me want to poke someone in the eye. Let people bitch. Are you worried the net's going to run out of electrons?

edited to remove too many generallys!

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »

so, Amazons.

obviously amazon women will be all kinds of sexy

amazon men will be disguised as women.... still sexy, but in a she-man kinda way

so... they're all asian pop stars? o_O

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Either way it just makes me want to poke someone in the eye. Let people bitch. Are you worried the net's going to run out of electrons?

Then they need to suck it up and prepare to get shark tanked, or go off and cry about it. That's the way it works, if you have a contrary opinion be prepared to defend it or justify it. There are some things that irrevocably unchangable though and I don't think anyone can just edit all the art style and similar of Diablo III. Personally, I don't understand the colour argument, because to me the game looks very nice and the visual style of the game matters little compared to the gameplay. I didn't play Diablo or Diablo II for its graphics and I couldn't think of anyone else who did: it was the gameplay.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It looks nice to me too. I think D3 looks a lot better than D2/1 and the change to 3d makes me pretty excited to see how action looks in play, given the fluidity we'll get compared to sprite animations.

You'll note my post here was to a guy who said he 'almost thinks people should get infractions for thinking it looks cartoony. God.' I'm of the opinion he should have been ready to defend of justify that retarded opinion.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TheStig wrote: »
    I have yet to see a blocky sunday morning cartoon since reboot. There is no way D3's graphics would have been considered blocky 3 years ago. Quake wasn't considered blocky when it first came out yet the models have far fewer polys than anything in D3 and certainly no one said it looked cartoony. It's just a fact that blizzard makes games that you don't need a brand new $2000 computer to run so yes it may look blocky compared to those screen shots of the latest FPS that your 2 year old computer can't run.

Do you seriously want high poly characters when you have 100 skeletons on screen?

Also:
    I don't mind colors, really, I just wish the character models didn't make me think of this just Blizzard making a straight up Dota game. Like, fuck bases and armies, lets put you in control of one WarCraft hero and call it Diablo.

That's what the graphics look like to me. Keep the cartoony looking shit in the 'Crafts (because SC2 looks kinda cartoony to me as well).

You're the one who said it looked like warcraft3, not me.

I said D3 looks like WC3, not D2.

Honestly, alot of it's the art style, not just polygon count. All of their stuff just looks the same.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I already like the Witch Doctor more than the Necromancer. Needing corpses to do anything sucked hard against bosses. Just being able to summon out of the ground anywhere solves this annoyance.

P.S. Does anyone remember when revives lasted basically forever and had essentially infinite health?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Honestly, alot of it's the art style, not just polygon count. All of their stuff just looks the same.

So this:
    s08-large.jpg

looks like this:
    ss27-hires.jpg

I don't see it...

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oops double post.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Disruptor I want to punch you.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh burn.

JJ on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Apparently the words "stuff like" slipped by you.

If you think this is cartoony:
    ss27-hires.jpg

then I find your aesthetic sense to be dubious, which lowers the bearing of your opinion on this matter.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Savant wrote: »

Apparently the words "stuff like" slipped by you.

If you think this is cartoony:
    ss27-hires.jpg

then I find your aesthetic sense to be dubious, which lowers the bearing of your opinion on this matter.

It doesn't.

I think the dungeon screenshots look like Scholomance. Alot. And the character models look like warcraft. Because they do. Kind of a tired debate at this point though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So one dungeon in this game looks like another dungeon in another game made by the same company and the human models look similar to that other game and possibly many more games that have human characters.

Screw this cartoon bullshit. Let's start a petition!

TheStig on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

So this:
    s08-large.jpg

looks like this:
    ss27-hires.jpg

I don't see it...

The environments don't. In fact, the environments I've seen for D3 so far are really nice. The character models, however, do.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Diablo 2's characters looked more cartoony/WC3 to me:
    barbarian_thumb.jpg

The close up of the barbarian on the d3 site looks like one of the contruction guys working on my house at the moment. Only less beer belly.

TheStig on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

So this:
    s08-large.jpg

looks like this:
    ss27-hires.jpg

I don't see it...

The environments don't. In fact, the environments I've seen for D3 so far are really nice. The character models, however, do.

It actually looks more like a combination of Westfall and Azshara from WoW.

I don't know who said it looks cartoony, but that's not the issue. Said it before, and going to reiterate that colour palettes do, in fact, effect human emotion/mood. What Diablo 3 needs most is not colours that reflect real life but colours that reflect the horrible setting that is the Diablo universe.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Streltsy wrote: »

So this:
    s08-large.jpg

looks like this:
    ss27-hires.jpg

I don't see it...

It actually looks more like a combination of Westfall and Azshara from WoW.

I don't know who said it looks cartoony, but that's not the issue. Said it before, and going to reiterate that colour palettes do, in fact, effect human emotion/mood. What Diablo 3 needs most is not colours that reflect real life but colours that reflect the horrible setting that is the Diablo universe.
    Yes and? It's not like all colors have a single emotion or mood attached to them. You can use green without it looking like springtime and happiness.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Black is the only color that can invoke negative moods. I asked my emo friend, he told me.
    just kidding, I wouldn't be friends with an emo

TheStig on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
    Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together,
    Brighter than a lucky penny,
    When you're near the rain cloud disappears, dear,
    And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.
    :whistle:

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You guys compare shit to WoW wayyyyyyyy too much.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    WoW was the first and only game to use slightly blocky characters and a full pallet of colors. What else would we compare it to?

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The 90s?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Blizzard fanboys are so touchy.
    1214773495745.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fanboys in general are touchy.

But I can't tell if you're trying to have a legitimate difference in opinion or just trying to stir the shit.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

But I can't tell if you're trying to have a legitimate difference in opinion or just trying to stir the shit.

I just think D3 looks a hell of a lot like warcraft stylistically, and am not particularly enthusiastic about that. I'm sure you may think, given that this is internet, that I'm up in arms or something, as some people very well may be. I'm just hoping that the next couple areas we get to see give off more of a D1 vibe, or a D2 act 2 and 3 vibe, as those areas were my favourites to explore.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Nevermind, you answered me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Snork wrote: »
    Yes and? It's not like all colors have a single emotion or mood attached to them. You can use green without it looking like springtime and happiness.

Yes, but I think anybody but an avid Blizz fan boy would be hard pressed to say D3's colours are 'brooding' or 'despairing'. (I am Blizz major Blizz fan FYI, I just don't exempt them from criticism).
    Certain colours are associated with themes/moods/etcetera in our culture, I don't think this is unreasonable to say.

Black is the only color that can invoke negative moods. I asked my emo friend, he told me.
    just kidding, I wouldn't be friends with an emo

How would you even tell they are emo if they wore normal clothes, had normal haircuts, and didn't act all sad? If they wore any other colour they would be judged as less emo. Black is not the only colour to invoke these emotions, but its certainly one of the strongest as championed by many sad/mourning people (the ones that want everyone to know anyways).

BTW, calling you out for being a colossal dick, but I am pretty sure everyone already knew this.

EDIT:

I just think D3 looks a hell of a lot like warcraft stylistically, and am not particularly enthusiastic about that. I'm sure you may think, given that this is internet, that I'm up in arms or something, as some people very well may be. I'm just hoping that the next couple areas we get to see give off more of a D1 vibe, or a D2 act 2 and 3 vibe, as those areas were my favourites to explore.

This. Seriously, the biggest thing I will be disappointed by is if they don't bring corpse explosion back. Sure I am not particularly happy with the colours but its not like I'm a raving madman with my arms waving and mouth foaming.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Damnit Disruptor and your fucking edits now I can't be mad at you.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If they didn't act all sad they wouldn't be emos... And thank you for supporting me on the color issue. In return I will now stop discussing emo culture, it's clear I hit a nerve.

As for corpse explosion I think they put in the pet explosion as a sort of replacement... but who knows, it could still make it in I guess.

edit: I guess my main point with the colors is that yes, black is the depressing of all colors but if you start using it everywhere, even outdoor areas in the first and easiest act what the hell are you going to you when you get to the hard stuff?
    If we always played guitar with the amp on 11 what are you going to turn it up to when you need a little extra something?
    Save it for the really good stuff.

TheStig on
This discussion has been closed.