As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You are currently talking about Diablo 3

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    you'd be hard pressed to find any game today that does not use normal mapping.

Unless they're 2D.

Every game with the "Blizzard" logo on it.

well let's some of the games Blizzard is coming out with these days:
    Starcraft 2: Normal Maps
    Diablo 3: Normals Maps

... anything else that's not running on four year old software?

Diablo 3 has no normal maps that I've seen. Honestly, now that I think about it, D3's graphics remind me a little bit of Guild Wars, in terms of the environment.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »
    i really thought my thread reading days would be enhanced by this diablo3 announcement. I couldn't have been more wrong. All you color fanatics can go straight to hell.

The time has come and so have I,
    I laugh last because you came to die.
    The damage, the pain subsides
    and I can see the fear clear when I look in your eyes.

I'll never kneel and I'll never rest,
    you can tear the heart from my chest.
    I'll make you see what I do best
    I'll succeed as you breathe your very last breath.
    Now I know how the angel fell,
    I know the tale and I know it too well.
    I'll make you wish you had a soul to sell,
    whe I strike you down and send you straight to hell.

My army comes from deep within,
    beneath my soul beneath my skin.
    As You're ending i'm about to begin,
    my strength's his Bane and I will never give in.

I tell you now Im one to survive
    You'll never break my faith or my stride
    I'll have you choke on your own demise
    make the Angels scream, and the Devils cry.
    :whistle:

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So Tyrael is actually
    A girl!
    wowscrnshot071608225536zo8.jpg

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Triple B wrote: »

Diablo 3 has no normal maps that I've seen. Honestly, now that I think about it, D3's graphics remind me a little bit of Guild Wars, in terms of the environment.
    Check the dungeon levels they all have normal maps. Keep in mind that normal maps don't equal super shiny with bloom.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KingMoo wrote: »
    i really thought my thread reading days would be enhanced by this diablo3 announcement. I couldn't have been more wrong. All you color fanatics can go straight to hell.

call me when they've all gone back to the WoW forums

o_O

You do realize that video games are made up of kinda 3 main things. Graphics, gameplay and story. We all don’t have much to talk about in terms of story unless speculating. Gameplay footage has been limited, so all we really have left to discuss is graphics.

And we do plan on going to hell, just not for a couple of years... Apparently Diablo is still napping. ;)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Everyone talking about an example for how Diablo 3's character models look like WoW, did you not see the barbarian? There's even a screenshot of his skin tinted green so he looks exactly like an ork, for fuck's sake.

Snork on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Snork wrote: »
    Everyone talking about an example for how Diablo 3's character models look like WoW, did you not see the barbarian? There's even a screenshot of his skin tinted green so he looks exactly like an ork, for fuck's sake.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzjbV-yTomY

JJ on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

You mean orcs are green people? Holy shit!

captaink on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    captaink wrote: »

Clearly this is unacceptable. TO THE PITCHFORKS!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

Clearly this is unacceptable. TO THE PITCHFORKS!

Oh my god parents have started to copy WoW for their babies.

For_the_Horde_.jpg

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So I just came across this article. I guess we can only bitch so much.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/no-turning-back-diablo-iii-art

Huge :( (others will be :lol: or :winky: but screw them :P)

Well since I think it looks like ass, there’s no real need for me to keep checking out the visuals, now I guess its time to wait for the review.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well since I think it looks like ass

You're completely blind. Did you even look at Diablo 2? There are so many things in that game that look plain terrible (especially certain monsters like the skeletons if they get cursed with being highlighter pink) that I cannot fathom such comments.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well since I think it looks like ass

You're completely blind. Did you even look at Diablo 2? There are so many things in that game that look plain terrible (especially certain monsters like the skeletons if they get cursed with being highlighter pink) that I cannot fathom such comments.

Yes, because Diablo 2 is so brand new that I almost forgot that it was released in 2000...

Pretty much any game you try to compare to, from 97-2000 to now is going to look "plain terrible".

But I'm pretty much done with even talking about D3 graphics, like I said, I'm just going to wait for the review. (Which I probably would of been a first day purchaser being in a huge fan of D1, playing in the D2 beta, and playing D2 for 2 years non-stop, if it wasn't for its current appearance)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It looked plain terrible on release to me. It wasn't even that great a graphical upgrade from the original Diablo and wasn't even that great for 2D art compared to the detail of say, Planescape Torment (which natively runs at 640x480 like Diablo 2 originally). Diablo II got a substantial visual improvement with the expansion bringing the resolution up to 800x600, but this doesn't change some of the creature models were beyond being plain ugly, even for it's time.

But whatever, Blizzard has decided to do what they are doing and they don't care about all the really silly (and quite frankly not even very convincing) arguments about colours.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Glad to hear they're not caving. They know what they're doing.

captaink on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Full interview:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/08/04/diablo-iii-designer-turns-tables/

I'm glad they're keeping to their own design and politely telling the overly emo petition kiddies to shut the hell up.

The game looks great and I'm sure the vast majority of the game, which we haven't even seen yet, looks better.

9/10 or more of those whiners will buy the game anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    D2 did look pretty ugly on release, compared to even D1. It was really pixelated. The higher resolution fixed that eventually.

Nightslayer.jpg
    214774722.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bickering aside, I actually like the fan modified images.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    D2 did look pretty ugly on release, compared to even D1. It was really pixelated. The higher resolution fixed that eventually.

Nightslayer.jpg
    214774722.jpg

I always liked nightslayer. We had a gnome with it, and he looked awesome.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    skace wrote: »

saturation - 50%

Film Grain > apply.

meh

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008

Exactly. I have no idea where these people get the idea Diablo 2 should be used as a model for anything visual. I literally couldn't play the game until LoD came out it was just so...ugly. Once LoD upped the resolution it was passable and from there on and with my discovery of hardcore mode I enjoyed the game very much, but not as much as the original. Like, I can't see myself wanting to stick a fork in my eyes when looking at those Diablo 3 shots and I feel they will stand the test of time.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

saturation - 50%

Film Grain > apply.

meh

Yet they still looked awesome. Technique doesn't matter, effect does.

Exactly. I have no idea where these people get the idea Diablo 2 should be used as a model for anything visual. I literally couldn't play the game until LoD came out it was just so...ugly. Once LoD upped the resolution it was passable and from there on and with my discovery of hardcore mode I enjoyed the game very much, but not as much as the original. Like, I can't see myself wanting to stick a fork in my eyes when looking at those Diablo 3 shots and I feel they will stand the test of time.

Ugly is as ugly does. Atmosphere and setting are important though, and people are complaining about the lack thereof in this game. Even though the game is essentially in pre-pre-pre-alpha. I still have hope for the game yet.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    and people are complaining about the lack thereof in this game

Because pixelated highlighter pink skeletons were so atmospheric in Diablo 2 right?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Because pixelated highlighter pink skeletons were so atmospheric in Diablo 2 right?

Duh. They screamed doom and destruction.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Of my eyes. MY EYES!!!!

I still have nightmares of highlighter pink skeletons chasing me in my sleep to this day. To this day.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

saturation - 50%

Film Grain > apply.

meh

I think technique does matter when any dipshit can apply a filter to a .jpg but that doesn't translate into being able to program a game to look the same.

And second, the didn't look awesome. They looked like every single other damn game nowadays. Grainy and "dark". Oooooooh, if it's "gritty" it must be good, right?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008

saturation - 50%

Film Grain > apply.

meh

I think technique does matter when any dipshit can apply a filter to a .jpg but that doesn't translate into being able to program a game to look the same.

And second, the didn't look awesome. They looked like every single other damn game nowadays. Grainy and "dark". Oooooooh, if it's "gritty" it must be good, right?

No, but if the subject matter calls for it, and the textures have more depth, feel, and detail, they can really add a whole deeper atmospheric feel for the game. I'm not saying Diablo II is gonna be fluff, but I am saying that some of the better screenshot edits look really great. And btw, those effects do transfer with correct texture and particle editing. You should see the things that can be done with mods now.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

saturation - 50%

Film Grain > apply.

meh

No, but if the subject matter calls for it, and the textures have more depth, feel, and detail, they can really add a whole deeper atmospheric feel for the game. I'm not saying Diablo II is gonna be fluff, but I am saying that some of the better screenshot edits look really great. And btw, those effects do transfer with correct texture and particle editing. You should see the things that can be done with mods now.

yes, but then you'd have to convince me, and you won't, that the sort of graphics in those screens fit Diablo better than the ones made by blizzard.

And even then it goes against the philosophy of Blizzard to produce a game that can run on peoples PC's across the spec board. Sure you can throw in every single trick in the book but in the end you have a game that only 5% of the PC owning population can even run.

Besides that in the interview Blizzard states explicitly that the sort of lighting effects the people imply in the "fan" made screenshots aren't really technically feasable right now, and I'm going to go with them instead of you, if you don't mind.

Regardless, again, it's not a foregone conclusion that those screens look better. As I stated, to me they look like 99% of the other tripe being produced these days and nothing about a film grain filter will make a game better.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The shear fact that one of the people who posted a "This is how goth the game should look" screenshot titled the unaltered original D3 screencap as "WoW Gayness" paints a pretty good picture to me as to the maturity level of the people signing that retarded petition.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As with anything consumer/business-related, you can only vote with your dollars. If you truly despise the new art direction, show some self-control and not buy it.

We all know most of the petition-signers will get it, anyways, which will only solidify Blizzard's "new art direction". Convictions, ahoy!

Monsty on
  • Options
    ModainModain Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From the interview:
    I think one of the things that these lack is if you stuck every one of these re-done shots right next to each other you would not be able to tell that they’re in different areas.

I did like some of the darker shots, but that's a very good point (along with all the others). Variety is nice and almost always makes games more enjoyable for me.

Modain on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Of my eyes. MY EYES!!!!

I still have nightmares of highlighter pink skeletons chasing me in my sleep to this day. To this day.

Fix your brightness or gamma, because those pink skeletons were supposed to be red.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fix your brightness or gamma, because those pink skeletons were supposed to be red.

Which means if Aegeri's gamma was that far off he probably doesn't even realize how dark Diablo 2 really is. I've actually been playing it since Diablo 3 was announced without any modifications to brightness or gamma and trust me, it's a dark fucking game. Having seen the D3 shots, then gone back to D2 for a month+ and now going back to the D3 shots, they really jump out at me as bright and cartoony.

Graphics however, is not a show stopper for me. I play ascii games so I've got a bit of tolerance. That's the reason I've been hesitant in getting into this argument because when it's all said and done I buy it either way.

Game play on the other hand... I do wish the Diablo team would do some soul searching in roguelikes like nethack before making the game. But that is more a pipe dream than anything else. There is so much of the roguelike genre that the hack n slash genre has simply not tapped into.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honestly in the interview they quite simply destroyed every single complaint and comment the "I hate colours!" crowd had. Their key point was when they said, "All the fan modified shots look the same, they could be the same area, in Diablo 2 you get a complete environment change every hour and a minor one every 15 minutes"

I also liked that they noted how the modified screenshots made all the monsters look the same, making them impossible to tell apart, and the only thing they liked (perfect soft blended shadows from mobile light sources) was nearly impossible to do in any engine which would run well.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They only fan-made shot I liked was the one with the witch doctor and the blood decals. And to replicate that would require serious light and shader effects and would probably be pretty impractical. Also, it might be impossible to see in motion, as implied by some of the comments in that interview.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Of my eyes. MY EYES!!!!

Actually there are quite a few outright pink skeletons. In the sewers.

I guess you could mess with your gamma to make them red but that'd fuck up all the rest of your colors.

Because, you know...they're pink.

And FFS; Diablo 2 isn't dark. Sure, the caves and dungeons are dark. Whoopde freaking do. What? A cave? Dark? no way!. Outside in every act it's bright as can be. Even in some of the dungeons it's not that dark.

In the end it doesn't matter because Diablo III will look like what it looks like because that's the way the people making the game want it. Everyone needs to quit whining and either move on or deal with it. Because you're not going to change a damn thing by keeping on bitching; particularly after it was just made abundantly clear by the devs that it would, under no circumstances, change.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008

Of my eyes. MY EYES!!!!

Actually there are quite a few outright pink skeletons. In the sewers.

Yep. They haunt me until this day.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has there been any news on the loot system? I hope it isnt like D2.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Has there been any news on the loot system? I hope it isnt like D2.

Creatures drop loot that only you can see and pick up. This does not mean they only drop things that are useful to you, but only stuff that you can pick up so nobody can go nicking your things. Once you've picked it up if you don't want it/want to trade it etc you can happily drop it for someone else to pick up.

Isn't that nice?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sounds lovely

Shifty_Calhoun on
This discussion has been closed.