As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Teach Me! Simple How To Thread On!

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
While looking around H/A I noticed just how extremely helpful everyone here happens to be. I also thought that I have a bunch of questions, but none seem to suited for a full blown thread. So I made this thread that might blossom or wither away with the purpose of quickly answering people that just have a simple photoshop question, should I buy X, or ideas for school paper. Things of that nature I suppose. Ether way, if this helps more people than just me, awesome. If it just helps me...well, awesomely short lived.

I am looking at making some ad banners. I can make simple jpegs all day long, but I want to spice it up. I know it's rather simple but I just can't figure out where to start/what to do. Point is, I want to go from something like in my sig to something like the basic slideshowish type thing here:

westaspenbanner.gif

Or maybe something a bit more like this

lowerdefintion_thegreatestbanner140.gif

If this whole thing is a terrible idea just lock it. Well, after I get some help and advice of course :)

ps: Wow. This thread just makes it look like I am a spam bot or something.

projectmayhem on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First, what applications do you have on hand for graphic manipulation?

Slideshow .gifs are easy to make provided you have the right tools. A quick google search should bring up what you need.

After that you just need to make the different slides and animate them.

see317 on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    First, what applications do you have on hand for graphic manipulation?

Slideshow .gifs are easy to make provided you have the right tools. A quick google search should bring up what you need.

After that you just need to make the different slides and animate them.

I have photoshop cs/imageready/dreamweave/flash mx.

I think I am the only person who would lose at a google game. Maybe I just need to be more general in my searches.

After a little searching, I found some youtube links that are pretty good. However they all seem to be using a new version and I honestly cant make anything out but the mouse button.

projectmayhem on
  • RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Making gifs in Imageready is possibly one of the easiest things to learn. I basically clicked around for a while and it all just came together.
    My suggestion is to just go experiment with the program for a while. If not, you could try somewhere like Deviantart for tutorials on using Imageready [if google fails you].

My only piece of advice for using the program is that when saving the moving gif you need to use "File > Save Optimised as..." instead of just saving [that took me like 3 days to figure out my first time heh]

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png