As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HBO's Generation Kill: Whopper Jr.

LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
hbo.com/generationkill

Generation Kill, from the makers of The Wire, which I understand is a good show, and based on the same-titled book. A seven part miniseries on HBO on Sunday nights.

First episode "Get Some" aired last night, and I watched it three times. I don't know what to think about it yet. I've never served in the armed forces, don't think I'd make it, but its hard to watch without being conflicted. How do you react to the marine who goes on at length about how they're a merciless killer praying for war? As an American, you want to feel good that your guys are badass motherfuckers, but as a human being, you feel bad that we feel a need to make these men the way they turn out, and have to unleash them on the world, sometimes for little, bad, or no reasons. If you want to say that their "defending our freedoms," then I would have to say, they're in the wrong country, as the 4th amendment just got killed last week by our own government...but I digress.

Hopefully it helps those people in this country who don't really think about the armed forces abroad focus on their situation a bit more. As someone who has family out there, I'm also glad that they're focusing on telling people what the guys need from us in terms of everyday needs. I hope the show does well.

LightRider on

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm amazed it's not about videogames.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    Oh, I remember reading a bit of that book at B&N when it came out. Will definitely be checking this out.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Enlist or Officer? :|

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    IIRC, most of the quotes he had were from enlisted men he was embedded with.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm guessing they are trying to go for a band of brothersish vibe here. I watched it last night and it was pretty good. Although the amount of times the word "dawg" was used got a little absurd. I did hear that one of the cast is playing himself so maybe its that guy and that's just the way he talks.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm guessing they are trying to go for a band of brothersish vibe here. I watched it last night and it was pretty good. Although the amount of times the word "dawg" was used got a little absurd. I did hear that one of the cast is playing himself so maybe its that guy and that's just the way he talks.

The guy playing himself is fruity rudy, the buff weird guy talking about moving to san francisco so he doesn't have to deal with fat people.

This miniseries is off to a promising start. So many random funny moments that really makes you empathize with the characters. Loved the little hitler walk in the background and the jlo bit in the beginning. Though two of the guys looked way too similar (iceman in the humvee and the officer guy).

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shit this has Lee Tergesen?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just finished watching this. I really liked it, even though I can't tell most of the cast apart yet. Some of the scenes, especially the ending and whenever they were talking about the supply situation, felt a lot like "The Wire: Iraq Edition".

Cantide on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The commercials make it look like a show designed to make marines look like assholes.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, remember, a lot of the plot lines for The Wire came from David Simon's time as a reporter for the Baltimore Sun, and this is based on a book written by a reporter, so it's natural that they are going to have the same vibe.

So far it seems pretty accurate to me. In the scene where they're berating the FNG because he's not wearing his watch cap, that's exactly the type of dumb shit guys in the military think up when they're bored. In fact, the same exact thing happened in my unit--one day every enlisted guy's wearing a black watch cap and everyone's like, "Wiskey tango foxtrot?!?"

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The commercials make it look like a show designed to make marines look like assholes.

Well, it's kind of the goal to turn Marines into cocky assholes. Mild-mannered introspects don't really make the best fighters.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ManticMantic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

To be completely honest, they probably toned it down. Watching this just gave me alot of flashbacks to when I was in.

Mantic on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

Well, it's kind of the goal to turn Marines into cocky assholes. Mild-mannered introspects don't really make the best fighters.

Hey! I bet the denizens of Penny Arcade would have at least and 50/50 shot at besting France in war.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The guy who wrote the book was embedded with a group of marines. My guess is, this is probably the most accurate portrayal of a combat brigade ever.

I bet conservatives shit bunnies over this.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It was decent. I'll probably check out the next episode, but I'm not really blown away by it or anything.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Look up Audie Murphy sometime. The old enlisted days had a lot of badass mild-mannered introverts.

wishda on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Murphy was a Texan, always an exception to the rule. :)

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Hey! I bet the denizens of Penny Arcade would have at least and 50/50 shot at besting France in war.

50/50? What is your name, son? Renee?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Watched it last night with the roommate. Was enjoyable, slightly different then the book but they surely couldn't do it the same unless they went with a narration. Speaking of the book, its a good read for those who would like to get a small look at how it is, especially the stupid shit that seems to happen.

By the by, don't think Iv ever hung out with a Marine you would call an 'introspect'.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    wishda wrote: »

Look up Audie Murphy sometime. The old enlisted days had a lot of badass mild-mannered introverts.
    He's got his own hospital here in San Antonio. Even had a movie, To Hell and Back, I think it is. Amazing guy.

LightRider on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LightRider wrote: »
    you want to feel good that your guys are badass motherfuckers

Speaking as ex-army (UK), you want to know that your guys are professional, competent and tough (physically and emotionally).

You do not want them to be violent psycopaths.

Ever.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As i've said before on this board: Most US soldiers are teenagers/early twenties. They're from the age/hormone level/disposition that you get frat boys from. They just have less beer/weed and more ammo. That's about it. Remember that when you start judging their antics.
    trevellian wrote: »
    you want to feel good that your guys are badass motherfuckers
    Speaking as ex-army (UK), you want to know that your guys are professional, competent and tough (physically and emotionally).

You do not want them to be violent psycopaths.

Ever.
    You're right to a point, but UK soldier training is a bit different than US training. Your boys were always pretty damn buttoned up in comparison to us. I think you all still let loose, just off duty. Nevertheless, no... you don't want to have crazy people with guns running around... that's a myth, whether you're dealing with grunts or special forces. Despite all the "you're a weapon" type of thing drilled into us, they never engendered chaos.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So anyone see Cradle of Civilization, the latest ep? These poor guys get shit from the enemies AND bullshit from their superiors. Thats pretty damn tough.

LightRider on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cantide wrote: »
    I just finished watching this. I really liked it, even though I can't tell most of the cast apart yet. Some of the scenes, especially the ending and whenever they were talking about the supply situation, felt a lot like "The Wire: Iraq Edition".

Hey, it's kinda like the real military. Seriously, I couldn't tell like 50% of my battalion apart, even after a year.

I'll definitely have to check this out, though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    CrimthaanCrimthaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While I havn't seen the show yet I can say that I have read the book and am currently serving in the US Marines *granted I am a reservist*.

Addressing what the first poster said, this book is set during the intial invasion of Iraq in 2003. At that point every Marine I knew wanted to go out and "get some". Not everyone had been sent to Afghanistan and many of us wanted our taste of battle and warfare...not because we were blood thirsty tyrants and killers *though unfortunatley there are a fair sure of bastards and sick fucks in the US military* but because we wanted to prove to ourselves and the generations of warriors adn Marines before us that we were just as good. You'll see later on that at the Battle of Nasiriya when we took our first bloody nose, many marines were brought back to reality. The US military isn't invincable, it can be hurt, it does bleed, it does die.

Another thing to keep in mind while watching this show...is that this is a recon unit. "First Suicide Battalion". These fuckers were ordered to trip ambushes so that they could be taken out by heavier units moving up behind. Recon guys are wierd, bat shit crazy, and full of themselves even more then regular Marines.

Crimthaan on
    "Veni, Vedi, Volo redum redire" I came, I saw, I want to go home.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Crimthaan wrote: »
    While I havn't seen the show yet I can say that I have read the book and am currently serving in the US Marines *granted I am a reservist*.

Addressing what the first poster said, this book is set during the intial invasion of Iraq in 2003. At that point every Marine I knew wanted to go out and "get some". Not everyone had been sent to Afghanistan and many of us wanted our taste of battle and warfare...not because we were blood thirsty tyrants and killers *though unfortunatley there are a fair sure of bastards and sick fucks in the US military* but because we wanted to prove to ourselves and the generations of warriors adn Marines before us that we were just as good. You'll see later on that at the Battle of Nasiriya when we took our first bloody nose, many marines were brought back to reality. The US military isn't invincable, it can be hurt, it does bleed, it does die.

There's that, and I know for a lot of us Army guys it was just about wanting to actually put some of the (often years) of training we had endured to use. Going to the field and "playing Army" is all well and good, but it was amazing at the time to think that we might get to actually do it "for real."

Made it all seem a lot less pointless.

Of course, most of us that deployed in later rotations had already lost that attitude before we even hit the ground...and had it's corpse pissed on while there. Except for some of your crazier bastards, like snipers and what not.
    Another thing to keep in mind while watching this show...is that this is a recon unit. "First Suicide Battalion". These fuckers were ordered to trip ambushes so that they could be taken out by heavier units moving up behind. Recon guys are wierd, bat shit crazy, and full of themselves even more then regular Marines.

Truth. Crazy fuckers, nearly all of them.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm watching and loving this show. I find these types of shows, the mini-series war drama types that is, with a focus on accurate portrayal (band of brothers-ish) fascinating. It's good to hear from you guys here that they are showing this pretty accurately to how it really is over there. It's also REALLY fascinating that we can get something like this so soon after it happened...and hell, the war is still going on so even more impressive/enlightening/possibly mind-blowing when it's all said and done. We had to wait, what, 50+ years for BoB to show us WWII like this (though I'm sure there were other movies/books/etc that did a good job of it too, BoB was just my personal exposure to it).

I also really like the way this has been filmed so far. The build-up to when they finally saw some action last night has been fantastic...there were so many tension moments where you felt like something was going to happen, then it didn't, just to the point where it was starting to get frustrating. It was actually to the point where I was expecting them to roll right through town w/ nothing happening, again, then shit/fan/etc... And hell if they didn't whup some ass there too...damn. Eagerly awaiting next week...

Edit: oh yeah, remembered another thing I wanted to bring up. I love how they're showing the way modern warfare has changed these days with regards to communication...the ability to, during the actual fighting, request up to your superiors that you get the OK to change the engagement rules or whatever...I mean that's incredible.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Crimthaan wrote: »

There's that, and I know for a lot of us Army guys it was just about wanting to actually put some of the (often years) of training we had endured to use. Going to the field and "playing Army" is all well and good, but it was amazing at the time to think that we might get to actually do it "for real."

Made it all seem a lot less pointless.

Of course, most of us that deployed in later rotations had already lost that attitude before we even hit the ground...and had it's corpse pissed on while there. Except for some of your crazier bastards, like snipers and what not.

Truth. Crazy fuckers, nearly all of them.

I was in the Coast Guard and Army during the peaceful 90s and saw more action in the USCG. Anyways, I know all about the 'get some' that I never saw. All I know is I'd love to be in Iraq if I could. Ideally I'd like to put my life here at home on hold and be in Iraq for a max of two years!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The second episode was pretty intense, it's interesting to hear the thoughts of the BTDTs on how accurate the portrayal of life in and out of combat is. It sounds like this show hits close to the mark. The battle at Nasiriyah was an eye opener, considering it wasn't portrayed like that at all on the news. I'm curious if they'll address Fallujah, or if that's beyond the scope of this series.

Guys like Encino Man and the Sergeant Major are why I could never cut it in the military, there's no way I'd be able to keep my mouth in check when confronted with their idiocy.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not to mention Captain America. Dude's a fucking loose cannon. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been fragged yet.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Not to mention Captain America. Dude's a fucking loose cannon. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been fragged yet.
    Loose cannon, yes. Completely incompetent? Don't know yet.

I like the show so far. It's definitely different enough from Band of Brothers.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This show has probably the most annoying name for anything that I have ever seen.

Duki on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well it's hard to beat Shakespeare.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's impressive how close to the book they've kept it. I'm looking forward to the rest, there is some good shit coming.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So my roommate tells me that he sees a running theme of our armed forces mercilessly killing innocent civilians, trying to give an impression that we're the bad guys or something. I should mention he's a religious Fox Noise viewer and is probably willfully not understanding what's being depicted.

From what I understand, war is shitty thing where people are killed for no reason with shocking regularity. To say that the series is trying to make a point other than that seems pretty silly to me. Obviously the characters (at least most of them) have remorse for killing the innocents and strive to not do so. I don't think anyone in the millitary actually wants to kill people without reason...

Well, I hope not anyway.

LightRider on
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The second episode was pretty intense, it's interesting to hear the thoughts of the BTDTs on how accurate the portrayal of life in and out of combat is. It sounds like this show hits close to the mark. The battle at Nasiriyah was an eye opener, considering it wasn't portrayed like that at all on the news. I'm curious if they'll address Fallujah, or if that's beyond the scope of this series.

Guys like Encino Man and the Sergeant Major are why I could never cut it in the military, there's no way I'd be able to keep my mouth in check when confronted with their idiocy.

It's been awhile since I read the book, but I believe the book ends right before Fallujah, it just briefly mentions that a few of them went to that battle.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So my roommate tells me that he sees a running theme of our armed forces mercilessly killing innocent civilians, trying to give an impression that we're the bad guys or something. I should mention he's a religious Fox Noise viewer and is probably willfully not understanding what's being depicted.

From what I understand, war is shitty thing where people are killed for no reason with shocking regularity. To say that the series is trying to make a point other than that seems pretty silly to me. Obviously the characters (at least most of them) have remorse for killing the innocents and strive to not do so. I don't think anyone in the millitary actually wants to kill people without reason...

Well, I hope not anyway.

Nah, you're right. A lot of the older soldiers here sometimes go back in stories and how they just saw a silhouette of someone pumping rounds out and they took em down. Only to find out it was an 8 year old kid or something.

Or an insurgent using a house for cover, so they take down the house with a .50 cal turret to get the dude. Only to find it was populated with a family.

It's ugly shit, bro.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I actually read the book while I was deployed in Iraq. I thought it was funny that every character matched up perfectly to a person I knew in my unit. I guess I'll mention that it's pretty accurate, maybe not for alot of people in the military, but I did four years as a grunt and the show still shocks me sometimes when they seem to do the same shit our guys did. The singing in the humvee is the best.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    From what I understand, war is shitty thing where people are killed for no reason with shocking regularity.

I've never heard someone with combat experience disagree with this sentiment.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    From what I understand, war is shitty thing where people are killed for no reason with shocking regularity.

I've never heard someone with combat experience disagree with this sentiment.

For the record, I agree also. The thing I like most about the show (and to a lesser extent Jarhead) is that it's about a group of guys in a shitty situation. They have their bad days and see the horrible parts of war, but they make their own fun. And they are definetly not the same people from the band of brothers generation, the cruel jokes, the mistreatment of Iraqis and a fucked up chain of command is all pretty much spot on.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy