As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ottogi brand instant [chat]!

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The banana thing is so dumb. Five minutes of surfing the net utterly destroys it.

Or, you know, logical thought.

Woah, woah. Don't get all radical on me with your godless, humanist, pinko commie anarchist ivory tower intellectual elitist "logical thought." I mean, if you pray on it, this "logical thought" thing is really a religion too, eh?

:lol:

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    I've seen the banana thing, but nothing about peanut butter.
    Evolution tells us that at some point someone would open up a jar of peanut butter and find a chimpanzee.

Wait, seriously? Are you joking, or is that the actual argument?

Peanut Butter: the Atheist's Nightmare

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    The banana thing is so dumb. Five minutes of surfing the net utterly destroys it.

What's the counter argument that's based purely on logical thought and not uncommon knowledge?

There are a huge variety of bananas. They picked the farmed, seedless variety, which would otherwise utterly fail if left without human interference.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do I want to know what Kirk Cameron does with a banana?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »

Woah, woah. Don't get all radical on me with your godless, humanist, pinko commie anarchist ivory tower intellectual elitist "logical thought." I mean, if you pray on it, this "logical thought" thing is really a religion too, eh?

:lol:

You laughin' at me, boy? Get the hell off my lawn!

Alecthar on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

What's the counter argument that's based purely on logical thought and not uncommon knowledge?

There are a huge variety of bananas. They picked the farmed, seedless variety, which would otherwise utterly fail if left without human interference.
    How many different types of banana is the average (I don't know if I should qualify "American" here) person exposed to?

Bama on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Not everybody knows about the origin or cultivation of the yellow seedless banana. Most people assume it just grows wild like every other plant.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    He does whatever the fuck Ray Comfort tells him to.

Bama on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

That's diiirty.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Like a lot of Comfort's stuff, it shows a lack of understanding at best and total dishonesty at worst.

I keep coming back to this idea, but shit only streches so far for me. It's only so reasonable to suggest that somebody is that fucking stupid before you have to question what they actually do know, and whether or not they're deliberately, knowingly hiding facts so they can manipulate people.

It goes from "he's just stupid" to "he's Cheney-evil" for me pretty quickly.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Fuck being the operative word here, of course.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

How many different types of banana is the average (I don't know if I should qualify "American" here) person exposed to?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it wrong if I bring my Xbox to school (and I have a roommate, and a suite with a total of 8 people including me) and I don't let anyone else play it because I barely have enough time to play videogames and I don't want people distracting me from my work?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Like a lot of Comfort's stuff, it shows a lack of understanding at best and total dishonesty at worst.

I keep coming back to this idea, but shit only streches so far for me. It's only so reasonable to suggest that somebody is that fucking stupid before you have to question what they actually do know, and whether or not they're deliberately, knowingly hiding facts so they can manipulate people.

Is this where I invoke Hanlon's Razor? Do you really think that most of these folks bother to educate themselves on evolutionary theory? It's really no different that the way folks cherry-pick from the bible; you just look for something you can use and ignore the rest.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Is it wrong if I bring my Xbox to school (and I have a roommate, and a suite with a total of 8 people including me) and I don't let anyone else play it because I barely have enough time to play videogames and I don't want people distracting me from my work?

No.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Everybody knows Cavendish bananas, but I'd assume that most people are familiar with plantains and the variety of bananas you can get in Latino food.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

That's not logic. It's knowledge.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Morally speaking, I'm gonna say no. Does it make much sense? Absolutely not. I mean, if you aren't going to use it, and they aren't allowed to use it, what's the point? Just put more ramen in the box where that hulking console was going.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How is someone playing x-box going to distract you? Unless it's in your room or something. Not letting other people play because you can't is lame. If it distracts you from your studies then its a good enough reason.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No, I'm going to use it, just I don't want people being like, do you wanna play with me now, please?

And this would be in my room
    On my desk since I don't have a TV and only have a computer monitor

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, i just realized, once we get these sonicwalls installed, i'm probably going to lose acces to PA. LAME

JPants on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Is this where I invoke Hanlon's Razor? Do you really think that most of these folks bother to educate themselves on evolutionary theory? It's really no different that the way folks cherry-pick from the bible; you just look for something you can use and ignore the rest.

I don't think most people are evil, no, and I do assume ignorance in most cases, but when it comes to people like Ray Comfort, Mr. Confrontational Asshole Christian, I really do wonder if he's not got some ulterior motive for his shit.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    stilist on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I'd say it's not wrong, but it's kind of dickish. If you don't want it distracting you, don't bring it.

Feral on

• Options
    edited July 2008

IF you've eaten a banana, surely you've noticed that it doesn't have any seeds. I've always assumed that those things were specially grown becuase of their lack of seeds, just like navel oranges.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're worried about people distracting you while studying just tell them they can play it if you're not but not to ask you to play while you're studying?

JPants on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The AmPol thread keeps reminding me why I hated grade school recess. They'd literally kick us out of the classrooms, and even when I tried to stay in to read, do homework, or look at chapters we weren't doing yet the teacher pushed me out the door. :(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    I've seen the banana thing, but nothing about peanut butter.
    Evolution tells us that at some point someone would open up a jar of peanut butter and find a chimpanzee.

Wait, seriously? Are you joking, or is that the actual argument?

Peanut Butter: the Atheist's Nightmare

Even if the theory of evolution could be boiled down to matter+energy=life, the notion that opening a thousand (or even a few hundered thousand) jars of peanut butter disproves something that (in theory) has been occuring ever so slightly for the last million billion years (and longer), and has happened once (well, relatively, and that we know of), is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Honestly, the complexity, time, scale, and outright luck that something like evolution (and the creation of life) takes sounds pretty damn godlike to me. It astounds me that "religion" and "science" are viewed as polar opposites by the majority of the population.

Jesus, the stupidity of that video is making my brain explode. I keep thinking of more and more to type out but...Jesus.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No, I'm going to use it, just I don't want people being like, do you wanna play with me now, please?

If it's in your room you have every right to tell people that you don't want them in your room while you're studying.

I thought you meant that you'd hook it up in the common area in your suite or something.

No, there's nothing wrong with keeping it in your room and telling people that you don't want them distracting you with video games while you're trying to do work.

Feral on

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I don't think most people are evil, no, and I do assume ignorance in most cases, but when it comes to people like Ray Comfort, Mr. Confrontational Asshole Christian, I really do wonder if he's not got some ulterior motive for his shit.

KEEP GIVING MONEY TO MY CHURCH

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    IF you've eaten a banana, surely you've noticed that it doesn't have any seeds. I've always assumed that those things were specially grown becuase of their lack of seeds, just like navel oranges.

I haven't eaten a banana since I was like 5. So, I don't really recall their seed status.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I'd say it's not wrong, but it's kind of dickish. If you don't want it distracting you, don't bring it.

It's not wrong at all. I don't even think it's particularly dickish.

The Xbox is yours and you decide whether anyone gets to put their grubby paws on it. They shouldn't be distracting you from your work in the first place, much less with your own stuff. You're bringing it to school, not making it public property.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

If it's in your room you have every right to tell people that you don't want them in your room while you're studying.

I thought you meant that you'd hook it up in the common area in your suite or something.

No, there's nothing wrong with keeping it in your room and telling people that you don't want them distracting you with video games while you're trying to do work.
    Yeah, I don't mind if like, my roommate played while I wasn't there. But I wanna be able to be like, no, without being a cock

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Off to the doctors

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I haven't eaten a banana since I was like 5. So, I don't really recall their seed status.

You should eat bananas. Great for energy, so tasty.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Interestingly, that's part of the problem with them, you can't make new Cavendish banana plants by any means other than propogation, so all Cavendish banana plants are genetically identical. This does not make for a disease resistant plant.

japan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    japan wrote: »

Interestingly, that's part of the problem with them, you can't make new Cavendish banana plants by any means other than propogation, so all Cavendish banana plants are genetically identical. This does not make for a disease resistant plant.

Yeah, they were talking about that on NPR the other day. Also how alternative banana crops are becoming increasingly popular as a result of the money lost from pestilence on Cavendish crops.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bananas are an unpleasant food.

stilist on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like bananas the most when they're ever-so-slightly green.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.