As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ottogi brand instant [chat]!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man the Chloe Marshall thread just makes me feel bad that I've not really been working out for the past 6 months, and good that I am now starting to do it again. Having highly visible abs was awesome, though I mostly miss my aerobic fitness.
    I find it odd how so many people are always 'ewwwwwwww size 10/12+ girls are gross' and then when they see an actual fatty (and she is pretty damn fat) they suddenly change tune and talk about how pretty she is. :|

Janson on
    edited July 2008
    And hey, I have a 2ii. :P Although I'm pretty proud of that because I had a pretty terrible third year, was really unhappy, went to about 1 week's worth of lectures and then had to redo every project in the final two weeks.

Janson on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    Man the Chloe Marshall thread just makes me feel bad that I've not really been working out for the past 6 months, and good that I am now starting to do it again. Having highly visible abs was awesome, though I mostly miss my aerobic fitness.
    I find it odd how so many people are always 'ewwwwwwww size 10/12+ girls are gross' and then when they see an actual fatty (and she is pretty damn fat) they suddenly change tune and talk about how pretty she is. :|

I don't think she's pretty. But that has more to do with her face being not pretty as opposed to her weight. She's a little too overweight for my preferences but one can be very attractive given the right facial features and have extra meat on the bones. She just isn't hot.

MikeMan on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And hey, I have a 2ii. :P Although I'm pretty proud of that because I had a pretty terrible third year, was really unhappy, went to about 1 week's worth of lectures and then had to redo every project in the final two weeks.
    From his first class ivory tower, Mojo looks down upon ALL. ALL!

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Talking of grades, just found out that I got a 2i for my first year, including a high enough score to get a 1st in one of my modules. Feeling pretty great I've got to admit. Especially given how little I revised.

Leitner on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why are we talking about fat "ii"s? What is going on here? *confusedandbefuddledlook*

Haphazard on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    UK degree classifications.
    It goes 1st, 2i, 2ii, 3rd, ???,

2i is read as two-one and 2ii as two-two (meaning that some people call them a desmond)

Mojo_Jojo on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bamboo grows rapidly.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited July 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Why are we talking about fat "ii"s? What is going on here? *confusedandbefuddledlook*

I'm as confused as you are.

What i've gathered is you get different degrees. 2ii is apparently the worst degree indicating the worst performance? 2i is a better degree?

No clue.

MikeMan on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    that makes no sense to me.

Dynagrip on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Is there any reason to worry about my grades (other than pride) if I'm not even sure if I am going to go to grad school

Do I want to go to grad school?

How good do my grades need to be?

Because I was going up, up and then dooown
    Is pride not good enough? If you're looking to slack I don't think other people are going to go justify it for you.
    Pride is good enough, but I stress out about my grades to the point where it probably hurts me. I talked to the therapist person about this... I dunno, if I make a mistake on a test I spend so long thinking about it and how dumb it was and how if I hadn't made it I'd have this grade, or yadda yadda. Or writing papers, I spend so long thinking about writing a good paper that I don't end up writing a good one or kill myself in the process.

I feel like if I thought less about grades I would probably end up with better grades... but it's so hard, when I was used to having such an easy time in HS and am surrounded by tons of people smarter than me now.

I pooped my finals this last semester and had like a 3.7 which I thought was poopy and bad and I worried about it, and people told me it's fine... I think I set too high standards for myself.

And my dad, trying to calm me down when I am spazzing out asks me "what the hell are you going to do with those grades anyway?"

Which is a good question

Which is why I asked
    Ok, I mis-guessed your motivation. You need to relax, not slack. Like Nerissa said, a 3.7 is fine (that should be an honors degree, right?).

Bama on
    edited July 2008
    oh now it's been explained.

still is weird.

MikeMan on
    edited July 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

2i is read as two-one and 2ii as two-two (meaning that some people call them a desmond)

The ??? is just a pass. :)

Of course...degree classifications aren't the be-all and end-all. The university you attended and subject you took matter, too. Architecture was quite tough - not that it's an excuse, but there were some brilliant people in my year and just one person got a first.

Janson on
    edited July 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    In the land of the uneducated, the man with 2i's is king?

edit: Why did you have to explain that it was read differently after I try to make a pun?

Bama on
    edited July 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    oh now it's been explained.

still is weird.
    Not as weird as not really having classifications. Our system lets you know immediately if somebody is scum!

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited July 2008

The ??? is just a pass. :)

Of course...degree classifications aren't the be-all and end-all. The university you attended and subject you took matter, too. Architecture was quite tough - not that it's an excuse, but there were some brilliant people in my year and just one person got a first.
    Yeah, it gets weird around the 3rd area though. They do things like give you an "ordinary" degree rather than one with honours and other such weirdness.

And yes, the only place I've noticed classification mattering is that you can't do a PhD with a a 2ii or lower and most graduate schemes ask for a second class of one type or other.

Generally though being a Master Of Physics is more important to people than exactly how good my marks were. It's a bit like how GCSEs are worthless so long as you get the 5 C's needed to stay at school.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited July 2008
    Bamboo shoots are pretty good, but I’ll not be eating my plant.

The carrots handled moving quite poorly, and for the past month-and-a-half have been primarily occupied with dying.

stilist on
    edited July 2008
    I never even attempted to get a degree, what does that make me, Jojo? Am I somehow classified as being under scum? What... what am I?

Haphazard on
    edited July 2008
    I want to plant some bamboo so I can have wild pandas. Sadly I don't have a garden.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited July 2008
    I never even attempted to get a degree, what does that make me, Jojo? Am I somehow classified as being under scum? What... what am I?
    Oh sure, now you try to get educated.

Bama on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want to plant some bamboo so I can have wild pandas. Sadly I don't have a garden.

You don't think that pandas not being native to your part of the world might be a hindrance to your plans?

Nerissa on
    edited July 2008

I'm not trying to...
    Oh...

Haphazard on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    windbit should post in this thread.

God damn you Dyna.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited July 2008
    Vermin. You have to wear khaki so we can spot you and avoid you while we fly in our helicopters and chew our sex hormone chewing gum.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited July 2008
    Probably makes you 10 x richer than the rest of us :P

Gah...my 19 year old cousin who at one point was a high school drop out and addicted to cocaine is now earning twice as much as I am through an apprenticeship. I mean, I'm pleased for him really, because hell he's pulled himself together and he's also a really excellent father to his little girl, but still. He's 19, a father, has a job and is even saving up to buy a house!

Heck, I've heard of two non-university-attending 20 year olds earning enough to be able to afford a house in London.

Janson on
    edited July 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

You don't think that pandas not being native to your part of the world might be a hindrance to your plans?
    If I plant it, they will come. Or I'll raid a zoo. Either way, I'm having some damn pandas.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited July 2008
    I’m awful at bamboo. About every two months there’s a burst of new leaves, which I manage to kill in the proceeding three months.

My consolation is it was only $1 for the plant, and it’s survived about two years despite my ineptitude.

stilist on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Gah...my 19 year old cousin who at one point was a high school drop out and addicted to cocaine is now earning twice as much as I am through an apprenticeship. I mean, I'm pleased for him really, because hell he's pulled himself together and he's also a really excellent father to his little girl, but still. He's 19, a father, has a job and is even saving up to buy a house!

Heck, I've heard of two non-university-attending 20 year olds earning enough to be able to afford a house in London.

Yeah, after going through the whole post-secondary thing and then working fucking security and THEN Shopper's Drug Mart before landing my current job, which I got because I knew the guy doing the hiring, not because of my schooling, I find the pressure to go to post-secondary, well, retarded.

Nova_C on
    edited July 2008

I'm not trying to...
    Oh...
    Class dismissed.

Bama on
    edited July 2008

You could always join the darkside and be an investment banker. A degree has made me poor though, but this is largely as I decided to do a PhD rather than sell myself.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited July 2008
    I have no money problems, yes. Which is a good thing.
    But rich? Hell no, I'm not and will probably never be.

Haphazard on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

edit: Why did you have to explain that it was read differently after I try to make a pun?

To punish you for making a pun.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2008
    Drez wrote: »

To punish you for making a pun.

Who does that? A pundit?

Haphazard on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm a high school graduate who couldn't make it through college, after waiting 5 years. Who now wishes he would of. :(

DeShadowC on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This year I will resolve not to stress about grades
    I will do my work
    I will get what I get

And I will ignore the fact that all these crazy neurotic people go to my school and make me go crazier

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited July 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    would of.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree...

MikeMan on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    fireworks2.jpg

There is officially more evidence for the Flying Spaghetti Monster than there is for God.

Premier kakos on
    edited July 2008
    would of.

Normally I'd be all over someone for making that mistake, but it seemed like it would be kicking a man while he was down.

Bama on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    fireworks2.jpg

There is officially more evidence for the Flying Spaghetti Monster than there is for God.

This is pretty clearly Esper Terra fighting Ultros.

Frosteey on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    would of.

jerk

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.