Options

PA Model UN- Signups (Currently 86 Members)

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And a Libertarian advisor for the three of us to make fun of.

To the Ron Paul thread!

Kilroy on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dibs on India

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think I'll hire the actual Ron Paul for my internet UN advisor.

It's not like he's doing anything else now that he's not running for president anymore.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    What format should our proposals take? Resolutions? Who gets a vote? Do NGOs and UNOs get votes? What's the structure of debate? The MUN conferences I attended in high school all utilized parliamentary procedure, as the UN does, and that seems ill-suited to an internet forum. Given this, how is order to be preserved, redundancy avoided, and a subject to be adhered to without derailment?

Also, notice I said that "if" the Security Council forms, I already hedged bets for you.
    OP says on who gets a vote:
    *Any UN member nation is eligible for selection. For laughs, let's also tack on the Vatican, Palestine, Cook Islands, Niue, Taiwan and Western Sahara if that's what you want to do. (None are official members, but have varied amounts of recognition or lack of same.)
    Everyone in our UN will get as much a vote as everyone else.

For debate rules, we're starting with the D&D ruleset as our base. Build off that. I'm the peacekeeper, but I'm not a mod. That doesn't mean mods aren't around to preserve true order, however. Remember one of the mods took South Africa and can shift from South Africa Delegate to Penny Arcade Mod at the drop of a hat.

For resolutions and proposals, that's a challenge for you. I've seen things like this online where perfectly good proposals left one little thing out and it got leaped on. If you're proposing something, write the proposal in a manner in which you can get it passed. If you're somewhat against it, try and get it amended so you do like it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes!

Now somebody pick Pakistan so that I can be a dick to you all the time.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What exactly are we going to be proposing? Stuff like "impose sanctions on Iran for blah blah blah"?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, how serious are we to take this? Being an internet forum full of people who are both intelligent and humorous, I would love to see a mix of serious resolutions and sometimes unrealistic resolutions, though approached from an in-character perspective.

For instance taking a resolution about giving cookies to everyone in the world to make them happy. Then we can debate about how that would give an unfair economic advantage to wheat and cocoa producing countries, and how it would negatively impact the already growing obesity problem in some countries... etc.

That was a bad example, but I find it enjoyable to occasionally have "serious" (i.e. in-character) debates about not-as-serious topics.

Just wondering what the tone will be.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Saudi Arabi

How much do you want to pay for crude?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I call Brasil! I'm not living there right now, but I am a native. If someone else who is Brazilian and lives there comes along, I may or may not give up the seat.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What exactly are we going to be proposing? Stuff like "impose sanctions on Iran for blah blah blah"?
    I would love to see a mix of serious resolutions and sometimes unrealistic resolutions, though approached from an in-character perspective.
    That works for me.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Also, how serious are we to take this? Being an internet forum full of people who are both intelligent and humorous, I would love to see a mix of serious resolutions and sometimes unrealistic resolutions, though approached from an in-character perspective.

For instance taking a resolution about giving cookies to everyone in the world to make them happy. Then we can debate about how that would give an unfair economic advantage to wheat and cocoa producing countries, and how it would negatively impact the already growing obesity problem in some countries... etc.

That was a bad example, but I find it enjoyable to occasionally have "serious" (i.e. in-character) debates about not-as-serious topics.

What people really need is the resources and infrastructure to make cookies themselves. Handouts do nothing to solve problems in the long term.

James on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    James wrote: »

What people really need is the resources and infrastructure to make cookies themselves. Handouts do nothing to solve problems in the long term.

Exactly! We need to give everyone in the world cookie factories.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    James wrote: »

Especially if they're agricultural handouts that you are unable to grow yourself due to genetic modification and patents.

But that's another subject... and possibly one I should start in this forum.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know, my best memory of Model UN was in our sophomore year in high school. Those of you who have participated in MUN, especially in California, may know that the bigger conferences are basically weekend-long good times for the delegates, especially in Anaheim (cough). Unless you're the serious sort.

We had a varied delegation for that conference (in Mission Viejo, I believe). I think our 'big hitter' was Spain, but we had various others, including the Seychelles (for which I was the sole representative, naturally), some Eastern European goodies, aaaaaand a little Mesopotamian country named Iraq.

The year was 1990. It was the first week of August. And as Iraqi troops took an unscheduled road trip to Kuwait, our weekend of screwing around with water guns and ice buckets went south with a quickness.

The Iraq GA delegates found themselves getting kicked out of the General Assembly (olol high schoolers), and our team pulled a collective all-nighter to draw up a response. I don't think I'd ever seen our social studies teacher quite so fired up before; in retrospect, that might have had something to do with his students shelling out $30/head and not being able to participate, but hey, everyone was caught up in the moment--best thing to happen to MUN in a decade, really.

The next day, my buddy (lead Iraqi delegate) went before the GA and gave his speech. It was a rousing appeal to Iraqi sovereignty and just crazy enough to sound like the real thing, by all accounts; the efforts won our school the 'best delegation' award for the conference.

Of course, they didn't let them back into the GA. olol high schoolers.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love Model UN. Was in it all throughout high school and university.

I'm in. Put me down for Japan.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TrueHereticX - Australia

DIBS

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh shit yes, I want the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

And yes, I did need to type out the full name just cause.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    ElJeffe - Iran

I will fight against the vile Jew menace.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hacksaw - Switzerland

In essence, I will completely useless unless you're looking for chocolate, cuckoo clocks, and/or nifty pocket knives.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RonaldoTheGypsy - Poland

Well actually I didn't forget Poland.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quid - Latveria

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Latvia, you mean.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No I don't.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Quid - Latveria

Hello, how is Doctor Doom doing?

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dlinfiniti- Taiwan

woooo independence baby wooooooo!!!!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Grr, why are China, North Korea, and Iran already taken?

i'll put my name down for Taiwan (observer status, no voting rights right? So I just whine like a little bitch and talk about right to self-determination while China/Russia/Spain ask me to shut up? Can do.)

If someone else wanted Taiwan I could switch to Belarus/Palestine if they would be a better delegate.

Heheh, In another window I'm writing my application for a school trip to Montreal for a M.U.N. Also are we using proper procedure? E.g. points of order, speaker's list, resolutions w/ friendly and unfriendly amendments? How will that work exactly on a forum? I can see it working IRC but it would be impossible to get everyone online for that...

dlinfiniti: (curse my luck. WHY DID I HAVE TO MAKE MY POST SO LONG. If I had just written Taiwan it would be first...) do you have any special expertise on the subject of Taiwan?

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quid - Latveria

HE WILL DESTROY YOUR PATHETIC DEFENSES AND SUBJUGATE YOU AND YOUR PATHETIC BELIEFS IN PATHETIC HEROES.

He is well.

Quid on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    Who's going to do Czechoslovakia?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, will PMs be utilized to help with communication/remind of upcoming issues? I'm not one of those popular folks with a full inbox, so I would appreciate (despite my daily forum usage) perhaps some form of reminder or something. I guess I could just subscribe to the thread.

EDIT: I was really battling between Poland and Czech, since those two countries make up most of my ancestry. In the end, I had to choose Poland because it gives me a good excuse to read up on the country.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Whoa, all this because I wanted to see what a model UN thread looked like. Might as well join in.

An Angel- Cuba

An Angel on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quid - Latveria

HE WILL DESTROY YOUR PATHETIC DEFENSES AND SUBJUGATE YOU AND YOUR PATHETIC BELIEFS IN PATHETIC HEROES.

He is well.

Man, don't make me send Captain Britain to fuck your shit up.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quid - Latveria

I don't think we can use fictional countries.

James on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    dlinfiniti- Taiwan

woooo independence baby wooooooo!!!!
    First Hong Kong, then you! All Chinese shall bow before the might of the Gold Star!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ireland.

Hachface on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How do we feel about good ol' Me-hi-co?

Or the Federated States of Micronesia... ?

Twinkie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No I don't.
    Well, pick something else or that's what you're getting.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Who's going to do Czechoslovakia?

McCain of course.

Couldn't let that slow pitch go unanswered.

Edit: Also have to add that I loved MUN in high school. Won best delegate in General Assembly for the United Kingdom one year.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Chake99, Belarus and Palestine are both available for you.
    Twinkie, Mexico and Micronesia, both available.

Gosling on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ouch. I'll take Palestine *shakes fist at dlinfiniti* (in the same minute too...)

Someone needs to take Israel. Srsly. It wouldn't be the UN without Israel/US-bashing.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm gets bonus points if he puts a little icon of a nation's flag next to people's names in the OP.

An Angel on