Options

PA Model UN- Signups (Currently 86 Members)

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    An Angel wrote: »
    mtvcdm gets bonus points if he puts a little icon of a nation's flag next to people's names in the OP.
    Find me a place to hotlink 'em because no way I'm saving 200 of those things to Photobucket.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    dlinfiniti- Taiwan

woooo independence baby wooooooo!!!!
    First Hong Kong, then you! All Chinese shall bow before the might of the Gold Star!

pfft why don't you talk to visible howl about that little carrier group he is deploying into the strait. Once he gets there, then we'll see who is bowing, you pinko commie bastards.

P.S. Free tibet! boycott olympics!!!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dlinfiniti- Taiwan

Fencingsax will have something to say about that.

James on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus - Finland

no particular reason.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    By the way, as of post 82, I have no Africans north of South Africa, India's the closest thing to Southeast Asia, and Brazil is the only member of South or Central America.

And of course, Israel is still available.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dlinfiniti- Taiwan

First Hong Kong, then you! All Chinese shall bow before the might of the Gold Star!

pfft why don't you talk to visible howl about that little carrier group he is deploying into the strait. Once he gets there, then we'll see who is bowing, you pinko commie bastards.

That carrier group is just executing some routine training exercises.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Someone take Freedonia!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    mtvcdm gets bonus points if he puts a little icon of a nation's flag next to people's names in the OP.
    Find me a place to hotlink 'em because no way I'm saving 200 of those things to Photobucket.

http://www.clickfire.com/content/graphics/favicons/flags_icons.php

Looks like this allows you to.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Someone take Freedonia!

I'd have taken Sealand but I don't think it counts.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would have taken Israel if I felt knowledgeable enough to represent it, but I don't.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I change mine to Atlantis?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I've always wanted to know, what's the worst country in the world, statistically and with pretty much no redeeming factors?

An Angel on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've always wanted to know, what's the worst country in the world, statistically and with pretty much no redeeming factors?

North Korea's population is slowly starving to death while its leader lives a life of extravagant wealth and cheesey American horror movies. It's a candidate.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Democratic Republic of Congo I thought. It doesn't even have nukes. Although NK is pretty much exactly like 1984. DRC possibly lowest per capita GDP?

Sudan is pretty good for a mess of a place choice right now.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    dlinfiniti- Taiwan

That carrier group is just executing some routine training exercises.

sweet
    psst... are you interested in selling some abm technology or a coupla f-22s? We'll give you some sweet deals on motherboards....

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Chake99 wrote: »
    DRC

This, too.

Hachface on
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Hachface wrote: »

North Korea's population is slowly starving to death while its leader lives a life of extravagant wealth and cheesey American horror movies. It's a candidate.

They at least have a military and stuff.

I mean a country thats a complete shit hole, probably somewhere in Africa. Congo?

An Angel on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DR Congo, listed in Our Dumb World as "Like A Zoo You Get Killed At".

Now watch as DR Congo is one of the next off the board.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ergandar-Peru

Will this be a general assembly or..?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    No I don't.
    Well, pick something else or that's what you're getting.
    Nothing. If I wanted a real country I would have posted it rather than play silly buggers.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Ergandar-Peru

That is how it will start, a majority-rule General Assembly. We'll build off of that base.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    We need to hold an election for Secretary-General.

Edit: And I apparently have no idea how the UN works. Whoops!

Hachface on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I remember joining Model UN in my last year of high school. I went to the MUN conference that they had in 2004 at the UN. It was pretty awesome. My group represented Tuvalu and Comoros, and one of my classmates was awarded some form of prize on the last day. All in all it was a fantastic experience.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Here's the election:

I makes the UN, I gets to be Secretary General.

Just like the real UN! The creators get to give themselves whatever powers they want!

Gosling on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Here's the election:

I makes the UN, I gets to be Secretary General.

Just like the real UN! The creators get to give themselves whatever powers they want!

We can still vote you out after we start, right, I mean, if we want to?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    All Secretary-General election procedures must be initiated by the Secretary-General.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i am also a card carrying member of the league of nations

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Ergandar-Peru

That is how it will start, a majority-rule General Assembly. We'll build off of that base.

I fail miserably at reading the OP.

Which topics will we be discussing, or will this be a free-for-all of political machinations?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some resources that we used, if you guys wanted or needed it

http://www.unausa.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKRI8MPJpF&b=482843 That's Model UN 101, in case you don't know what you're doin'.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html This is what we used to get a sort of preliminary look at information on the countries we were representing.

I'll add more when I can remember em.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What topics we'll be discussing:

I like one of the previous posts' suggestions: we'll get some serious stuff in, and mix in some less-than-serious topics as well.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All Secretary-General election procedures must be initiated by the Secretary-General.

So... we get to vote you out if you want, then.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Elldren wrote: »

So... we get to vote you out if you want, then.
    That or it's an out for me if I later decide I can't keep up.

Gosling on
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I change from Japan to Israel? I figure you might need an actual Jew to be Israel. It'd be a nice touch.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    For the first week of my summer this year, I wrote a model UN conference paper on rising food prices.

I thought the horror was over.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    If you'd like I can take Israel (as an Israeli).

edit: oh, a guy above beat me to the punch. It's up to you if you'd still like to roll forward with it. Other than America I don't know enough about any country to feel comfortable being a representative, so if you'd like to keep Israel (you beat me to it, so you can if you'd like) I'll not participate.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Israeli > Jew from Canada

I'll stick with Japan then.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No, it's yours. Since you live there, or hail from there, it's better you do it.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    If you'd like I can take Israel (as an Israeli).

edit: oh, a guy above beat me to the punch. It's up to you if you'd still like to roll forward with it. Other than America I don't know enough about any country to feel comfortable being a representative, so if you'd like to keep Israel (you beat me to it, so you can if you'd like) I'll not participate.

that depends on if you'd support taiwan

ITT: taiwan sets up its own hegemony even before the first meeting

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    OK fair enough.

On Taiwan: that depends. Are bribes in play? :winky:

Organichu on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular