Options

PA Model UN- Signups (Currently 86 Members)

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Native takes priority. Organichu, Israel is yours.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Darn, I was about to take Jordan to represent the moderates of the Middle Eastern anti-ursine movement.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I still get to shake my fist at North Korea. Hooray

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't forget Estonia guys. Its an awesome country home to many uber hackers of the world.

An Angel on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Reckless - Columbia. Let's have some good old family FARC fun.

Reckless on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Darn, I was about to take Jordan to represent the moderates of the Middle Eastern anti-ursine movement.
    I believe you still can. If you want it, it's yours unless a Jordanian native comes along.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am a native (well, my parents are). My concern is whether I have the time to actually take it seriously or not. If I don't, then I'd take the Seychelles, because seriously, the Seychelles.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    I am a native (well, my parents are). My concern is whether I have the time to actually take it seriously or not. If I don't, then I'd take the Seychelles, because seriously, the Seychelles.
    I'll put you down as a native. This will be an ongoing thing, and I do plan to be adding and subtracting people along the way, so anytime you think you can't do it anymore, all you have to do is say as much and you can leave Jordan to anyone else that wants it.

Gosling on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Canada does not recognize the honorable delegate of the Republic of China at this time.

James on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How will speech/time be recreated in the forum?

From what I remember, a lot of the model UN involved some wheeling and dealing to get yielded time to address the issues.

Will it be by characters or words, or will that mechanic be used at all?

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I don't want to feel like a dead weight so I'll say up front: I've never done this before. Israel is sort of a central facet of the geopolitical landscape, so I don't want to ruin the legitimacy of the activity with ineptness. I'm reading the primer now (and I'll do more research along the way), but for general knowledge- is it ok if I ask for some pointers/help along the way? Or are we supposed to be familiar with this paradigm of discussion?

Organichu on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, so I'm bored so I added flags next to peoples countries. Some of them I couldn't find hotlinking, so I may just end up using imageshack so that everyone gets one.

ROSTER:
    united-nations.gifSecretary General- mtvcdm, United States

DELEGATES (natives in bold):
    Australia- TrueHereticX
    Brazil- elldren
    canada.gifCanada- James
    china.gifChina- Fencingsax
    Cuba- An Angel
    finland.gifFinland- Daedalus
    france.gifFrance- Nocturne
    india.gifIndia- Harrier
    Iran- ElJeffe
    ireland.gifIreland- Hachface
    israel.gifIsrael- Organichu
    japan.gifJapan- I Am Not A Bear
    Jamaica- Kilroy
    North Korea- Picardathon
    palestine.gifPalestine- Chake99
    peru.gifPeru- Ergandar
    poland.gifPoland- RonaldoTheGypsy
    russia.gifRussia- Alecthar
    saudi-arabia.gifSaudi Arabia- chamberlain
    singapore.gifSingapore- saggio
    South Africa- Elki
    sweden.gifSweden- Musiqua
    switzerland.gifSwitzerland- Hacksaw
    taiwan.gifTaiwan- dlinfiniti
    u-k.gifUnited Kingdom- FarseerBaradas
    us.gifUnited States- visiblehowl

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm also flying blind, but figure I can learn as we go along.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do I not get to play? I just wanted to FARC around...

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Reckless wrote: »
    Do I not get to play? I just wanted to FARC around...

Clean up your own backyard or we'll do it for you.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How will speech/time be recreated in the forum?

From what I remember, a lot of the model UN involved some wheeling and dealing to get yielded time to address the issues.

Will it be by characters or words, or will that mechanic be used at all?
    First off: I've never done this either. We didn't have Model UN at my high school. We were lucky to get anything besides the sports teams. We lost the school newspaper after some teachers decided the articles didn't praise the teachers enough.

Secondly, you decide rules of debate amongst yourselves, whether you want to do it as one of those debate competitions which you should be aware we have never once actually completed, or more like a standard thread, or what.

Gosling on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pakistan.

Nuclear weapons, bitches.

And don't worry, we'll have free elections sometime in the next 100 years. I promise. Seriously.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    C'mon, Pakistan. See what having multiple free elections did for us? Net inflow! Woo!

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You guys have nuclear weapons? Wow, jealous. I wish we had those things.

:|

(note the poker face)

:|

(note it)

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pakistan.

And don't worry, we'll have free elections sometime in the next 100 years. I promise. Seriously.

Now come on Pakistan, don't make us suspend you from the commonwealth again.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    Liberal CrabLiberal Crab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zimbabwe!

Liberal Crab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Zimbabwe!

Great Zimbabwe or Lesser Zimbabwe?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pakistan.

Oh shit, really?

Whoops, looks like my opposition's leader just got totally accidentally killed.

Man, shit happens doesn't it.

Can I get back in now? :)

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    Zimbabwe!

Great Zimbabwe or Lesser Zimbabwe?

Zimbabwe, Republic of; formerly Southern Rhodesia. You know, the one with astronomical inflation and rigged elections ans Mugabe? I didn't know there was a little one. Are you thinking of the Congo or something? o_O

Liberal Crab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Administrative note: currently we stand at a 30-member body, with 7 natives.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pakistan.

Oh shit, really?

Whoops, looks like my opposition's leader just got totally accidentally killed and my puppets got elected with no opposition. Man, shit happens, doesn't it?

Sounds free and fair to me. Now, how about we suspend Zimbabwe?

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Great Zimbabwe

There isn't a lesser one, I was just being silly.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh, question.

Say I use a colloquialism that is common to Israeli-flavored English or Hebraic transliteration- would I just include an asterisk and explain at the end? Or should I not use any idiomatic terms? Am I reaching more for fluent communication or authenticity?

On second thought though I've never sat in on a UN session I'm sure representatives simply don't use phrases of those kinds. It'd probably be disruptive to the flow of conversation. Disregard this I guess.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    As long as you explain it, or can assume PA can understand it, go right ahead.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pakistan.

Oh shit, really?

Whoops, looks like my opposition's leader just got totally accidentally killed and my puppets got elected with no opposition. Man, shit happens, doesn't it?

Sounds free and fair to me. Now, how about we suspend Zimbabwe?

Spoken like a true colonial opressor. I can't help it if people spontaneously withdraw from runoff elections.

Liberal Crab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Niceguy Myeye PM'ed me a story about when he was in Model UN that I think would apply nicely here.
    When, I did it, it was sort of a cross between research, speaking, and roleplaying.

You would find out a lot about your country, put yourself in its shoes and try to speak with its voice.

Naturally, the funner countries to be were the ones that were normally considered the "bad guys."

Typically how it was done, was a resolution was crafted by the people who were running the conference, which would touch on certain global issues.

Then, they would pick a number of delegates to speak on it, naturally not everyone and everyone had about 2 minutes to speak. If someone didn't use all of their time, they could yield the remainder of it to another delegate.

The effect that this had was it made you have to really run around and make alliances and push for them just to get speech time. But, at the same time, if you were a country like Jordan, you wouldn't be caught dead yielding your time to Israel even if they agreed with you on this particular instance.

Maybe, we can check into and see if there's an online version of "Robert's Rules"

The way I would translate it to an online setting is to translate minutes into words, and you would have that many words to construct your argument. Such as, 1 minute = 100 words.

If that's a good number, or if we could FIND a good number, that may work for us.

Gosling on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The first preambulatory clause of my resolution will be that the UN sucks balls.
    The second preambulatory clause of my resolution will be that the UN sucks dong.
    The third preambulatory clause of my resolution will have something to do with fucking the League of Nations all night long, seeing as the League of Nations is the mother of the United Nations.
    North Korea: Where trolling is in character.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quit shooting missiles over our islands, you fuckwads.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Point of order: Those Gold Star stickers are a crime against my state. The trivialize our country, and should be done away with.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

We were totally aiming for the whales in the spot we were shooting at.
    Totally. Fucking whales. Bears of the sea, I tell you.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The first preambulatory clause of my resolution will be that the UN sucks balls.
    The second preambulatory clause of my resolution will be that the UN sucks dong.
    The third preambulatory clause of my resolution will have something to do with fucking the League of Nations all night long, seeing as the League of Nations is the mother of the United Nations.
    I see why you picked North Korea now.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Point of order: Those Gold Star stickers are a crime against my state. The trivialize our country, and should be done away with.

What he said!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Will we be able to create (alone or in coordination with other countries) and submit our own resolutions?

If so, would we be submitting them to the thread or to mtvcdm?

James on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

We were totally aiming for the whales in the spot we were shooting at.
    Totally. Fucking whales. Bears of the sea, I tell you.

Those are our whales. We need them to support our highly subsidized whaling industry. Go shoot whales somewhere else.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    I see why you picked North Korea now.

That, and I am certain that one topic will eventually be about me.
    Suck on that, Canayda.

Picardathon on