Options

PA Model UN- Signups (Currently 86 Members)

• Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    1.) Didn't Kim Jong's representatives claim that his first time golfing (EVER), he hit a -18? Hahahaha.

2.) I WANT IT TO START I WANT IT TO START I WANT IT TO START.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE GREAT KIM JONG IL! HE HIT A -32, CRETIN!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I guess the great nations of the South will just make out own club then.

-Syria

p.s. You're totally invited Brazil! Bring popcorn!

Stop fucking with Lebanon and we'll talk.

- Brazil

p.s. Really, stop fucking with them.

edit: p.p.s. You too Israel.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JohnProctorJohnProctor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    I guess the great nations of the South will just make out own club then.

-Syria

p.s. You're totally invited Brazil! Bring popcorn!

Stop fucking with Lebanon and we'll talk.

- Brazil

p.s. Really, stop fucking with them.

We are merely assisting territory ripped away by French aggression. Regardless, our troops are already withdrawn and ready to strike at a moment's notice.

-Syria

JohnProctor on
    3dflags_syr0001-000ea.gif Syrian Delegation to PA United Nations
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have noticed a lot of chatter on some other threads going 'I want to sign up but I don't know what I'm doing' or things like that.

Don't worry about it. I'm a first-timer myself. There are vets here; they've already shown themselves willing to help the rest of us along. Just take a breath, dive in, do your best. You can always pull back out later.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    You too Israel.

No.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    I have noticed a lot of chatter on some other threads going 'I want to sign up but I don't know what I'm doing' or things like that.

Don't worry about it. I'm a first-timer myself. There are vets here; they've already shown themselves willing to help the rest of us along. Just take a breath, dive in, do your best. You can always pull back out later.

:winky:

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It is a shame that Kim Jong Il has three syllables in his name, which makes it impossible to get the Bob Dole effect.
    Wait, what am I saying. That doesn't matter, Kim Jong Il gets the Bob Dole effect by virtue of his existence.
    Kim Jong Iiiiiil.
    Kim Jong Iiiiiil.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    (I've never done a Mock UN, but I thought it would be fun, I second guessed my signing up, but ... what the heck? It should be fun. What worried me more than knowing enough about the procedure was knowing enough about international politics in general, but maybe I vill learnen!)

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You too Israel.

No.

See? Israel is not respecting the UN. Whatever happened to my motion to censure the Israeli delegation? mtv?

(motion to censure, motion to not allow to speak for duration of the assembly)

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    If Wikipedia and Google-fu isn't enough I'm sure the natives and nerds (luckily I am twofold such!) will be happy to give little write ups of major talking points relating to their area of greatest knowledge.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I might be able to get a basic list of parliamentary motions for you, depends if I have one of the packets from one of the last Model UN conventions I went to.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I already know my sphere. I am taking up as much resources as I can, developing better energy sources as much as I can, urbanizing and modernizing, while at the same time, keeping a heavy hand on anti Chinese speech. Oh, also the Olympics!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have a very rudimentary grasp of most things. It might be somewhat helpful in this situation.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If Wikipedia and Google-fu isn't enough I'm sure the natives and nerds (luckily I am twofold such!) will be happy to give little write ups of major talking points relating to their area of greatest knowledge.

I've basically been researching and taking notes of my relations with various countries since I signed up.

They've been pretty good, except for a few disputes.

Also both Israel and Syria need to leave Lebanon alone.

James on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't expect everyone to be perfect. If we're debating, say, desertification and you've got Sweden, you're not going to have all that much to contribute. It's no problem.

I think what we'll do is this for debate:

*Remember that PM I got from Niceguy Myeye about time limits, where Model UN members each got 2 minutes and then they could trade amongst themselves? I made a rough approximation that 1 minute should equal 100 words. Maybe more, maybe less, but 100's an easy number to work with.
    *What we'll probably do is, each member gets 200 words of debate (the 2-minute equivalent). With a current 35 members, that equals a total 7,000 words of debate (not counting anything I add as Secretary-General). If you have no fucking clue on a debate, or your country doesn't, or whatever, hand off your words to someone that does. They can lead the charge.
    *After all debating members have exhausted their word allotment, we go to voting.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The most important motion is the motion to divide the question.
    NEVER FORGET THE MOTION TO DIVIDE THE QUESTION!

Picardathon on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think we might want to have a speaking list. That way if someone wants to introduce a motion they get on the list and wait for their turn, then debate happens on that motion. I was just thinking this might help simplify it for people who want to bring up their own issues.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think we might want to have a speaking list. That way if someone wants to introduce a motion they get on the list and wait for their turn, then debate happens on that motion. I was just thinking this might help simplify it for people who want to bring up their own issues.

We can submit resolutions to mtvcdm who will present the final version, I think.

James on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The hell with simplifying. After 13 pages of signups, we're way past that nonsense. At this point, I'm just hoping we don't end up with a whole damn subforum to keep track of speaking lists and time trading and rosters and alliances and let's not forget actual debates.

Gosling on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll sign up for Egypt.

They're still around right?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If you don't see it on the roster, and it's a UN member nation or one of the exceptions I allowed, it's available.

Gosling on
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I sign up for Italy?

I think I can probably RP them the best having lived there.

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Having lived there... I'll qualify you as a native.
    Remember, natives, if you see a country taken by a non-native, you can hop in and bump them out if you want. (FarseerBaradas, I'd likely watch yourself because I know we've got Brits around here and sooner or later one of them is going to want it.)

Gosling on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MadnessBA wrote: »
    Can I sign up for Italy?

I think I can probably RP them the best having lived there.
    I would make a mafia joke, but low-hanging fruit and all.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd like to take Russia (Native; born in Moscow, now living in America).

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Alecthar, you've been bumped. Gotta pick something else.

Gosling on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not a native of Ireland, but I am a citizen. What does that get me?

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Citizen is good enough. I use the term 'native' a tad loosely. You were born there, you're a native. You're a citizen, you're a native. You've lived a significant chunk of your life there, you're a native.

Gosling on
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    not sure if native is right as I only lived there for a year when i was young but I'll take it.

Hey, I am pretty damn corrupt and I have lots of problems. Also, I will never, ever give you a traffic ticket, ever.

-Italy

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Better than nothing. You will quickly find that I can be alarmingly lenient on things that require judgment calls.

Gosling on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't realize you guys were still taking comers. I'll jump on as Germany if it hasn't already been called. If it has, I'll jump on Spain.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    We're taking them at least until Captain Planet Phalla wraps up (and unless something absolutely crazy happens that should be tomorrow at noon US Central).

We are also waiting until signups dry out. I don't feel like trying to set things up while I'm still contending with new names to process.

And the signups are still going strong.

EDIT: Oh, yes, you'll get Germany. Gorilla Salad apparently had it for like five seconds and then made a takeback.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just minor change, I altered the title 'D&D Model UN' to just encompass the whole of the forums.

Just in case the scope of this whole endeavor gets much larger.

Gosling on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So...uh, anyone want some almonds?

--Jordan

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No. Want some guarana or cashews or sugar?

- Brazil

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have tea, anyone want tea?

-UK

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I will have that, yes.

Anyone want some maple syrup or poutine?

-Canada

James on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Never.

Also, we have coffee. And shoes, really awesome shoes. Better than Italy

- Brazil

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait, wait, wait, when did we start the next round of D&D Civ 4?

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You know, Elldren, just an aside.

You got offed on Day 1 and you've still got your player sig?

Gosling on