As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canon HG10 (AVCHD) on Mac

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
My family bought my brother-in-law a Canon HG10 for his birthday (and I'm so jealous), but he's having trouble getting the thing to work on his Mac. I know the HG10 uses the new AVCHD format, and it seems EVERYONE is being quite lazy about adopting this new format that's been out for at least 3 years in just about all HDD camcorders that I see, but there's got to be an easy solution for it somewhere.

I have no idea about Macs though, and he's not the most computer literate person in the world. Could someone give me a step-by-step on what he needs to check/buy/upgrade to get this thing to work? I do know that he has newer Macs, I think they're all Intel-based.

I know iMovie '08 supports it, but is there anything else he needs, or something a bit more powerful but not $500?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If imovie can import the video then I don't see any issue, I mean for basic home video stuff isn't imovie fine?

I suppose if he's wanting something better but still relatively cheap he could go for something like Final Cut Express.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How do macs work when detecting files though? I'm a strictly PC owner, so I have no idea, but currently his mac won't even see/transfer the files off his camcorder. Once he gets one of the newer editors, will the Mac suddenly know what to do with them and transfer them off?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png