As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hatred, Hope, and Happiness: the trifecta of MMO emotions

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bigity wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Grammar is not an issue if they do not have time to type shit between pulls.

Winner here.

Even my guild mates complain from time to time on how fast I pull. If you are over half mana and it's not a hard pull, they are already on the way.

If you stand up for 5 seconds after the last mob dies and is looted, I assume you don't want to drink/eat/rebuff and they are on the way.

Course, they don't complain at the end when we finish like 45 minutes earlier than an average run.

Yessssss, I love people who know how to pace a fucking run, drinking to full every god damn pull is retarded. Much <3 goes out to people like you when I'm not playing the tank class myself.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    riz wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Wait....throw shield...duck behind object if needed...rinse and repeat. How is that hard?

Well... It's not that so much as not having all the patrol paths memorized and trying to pull somewhat quickly. So occasionally I'd do something like grab an extra giant robot. Which is fine with our usual half main/half alt groups but with this group everything was sketchy.

No biggie, it's just an lesson in "Kill shit faster and I won't need to stress you out with chain pulls..." also...body pulling is a time honored tankadin art. Back in the day all we had was body pulls....and grenades. Hmm...grenades...

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    riz wrote:
    Wait....throw shield...duck behind object if needed...rinse and repeat. How is that hard?

Well... It's not that so much as not having all the patrol paths memorized and trying to pull somewhat quickly. So occasionally I'd do something like grab an extra giant robot. Which is fine with our usual half main/half alt groups but with this group everything was sketchy.

No biggie, it's just an lesson in "Kill shit faster and I won't need to stress you out with chain pulls..." also...body pulling is a time honored tankadin art. Back in the day all we had was body pulls....and grenades. Hmm...grenades...

Well, we were doing the best we can, but this was a pretty motley crew. Just having one tank, 2 healers, and 7 dps online that aren't already saved to a Karazhan this late in the week was a pretty major feat in itself. We had a feral dps, me dpsing on my priest with my +600 shadow damage, some more dps that was PvP specced, one or two decent alts, a healer in T2 and blues, and one mage main who was probably as much of a hindrance as a help in some spots.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Charus wrote: »
    riz wrote:

Well, we were doing the best we can, but this was a pretty motley crew. Just having one tank, 2 healers, and 7 dps online that aren't already saved to a Karazhan this late in the week was a pretty major feat in itself. We had a feral dps, me dpsing on my priest with my +600 shadow damage, some more dps that was PvP specced, one or two decent alts, a healer in T2 and blues, and one mage main who was probably as much of a hindrance as a help in some spots.

Sorry, I meant that more as a joke then a crack on the skills of those involved. :lol:

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Conflicted; so we take 3 hours clearing 4 bosses (including an hour+ on Archimonde) last night. People needed gear, and we have new people to test out, gear and get acclimated to our crew.

We started at 7 (well, 7:30 by the time we were actually in combat) and finished that around 10, and then the question went out "what next"? BT was clear, MH was clear, Sunwell was not looking promising with either our class balance or composition of several new members.

On one hand, I knew we should get time in and start working together, on the other hand, we spent 4 hours wiping on Kalecgos last week, and I just wasn't sure if I had more hours of wiping in me, so the officers batted it around and we decided to call it and let people enjoy and early evening off.

I'm honestly unsure about how to proceed at times like this, and recognize there is no good answer. Catch-22, "no win situation" style; if you call it early, you relieve some people who are dreading more time possibly wasted (chances of patterns dropping aside), and give people more time to rest and relax before hitting the rougher stuff, but at the same time, not doing the high end stuff can frustrate the die hard folks, and those who are utterly done with lower content, and the last thing you want to do is dishearten your hardcore raider base.

I do think time off was the right call, but it's like the decimation of a hefty part of our crew is finally hitting people. We're not so far back that Sunwell is completely out of our reach or anything, but I think people got used to chewing through at least the first 3 without too much trouble, and struggling with Kalecgos (mostly timing the demon kill and then finishing off the dragon) and Brutallus (admittedly, a gear check where we now have some people that fail said gear check) is kinda harsh.

Plus, summer malaise, upcomming expansion malaise, etc.

Though one thing I find funny; if you look at the rares found in the initial WLK instances; many of them are on par or crappier than current level 70 rares. I know that like WLK, people are expected to end up there at 68 or so, but new instance weapons that are worse than stuff we've had access to for going on 2 years makes me go "Hrm?".

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Happy: 1038 agility, if only for a second or two. Now to get a screenshot.

dylman on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I still hate the fact that my highest +shadow screenshow is only 1940, instead of 2000 :(

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Conflicted; so we take 3 hours clearing 4 bosses (including an hour+ on Archimonde) last night. People needed gear, and we have new people to test out, gear and get acclimated to our crew.

We started at 7 (well, 7:30 by the time we were actually in combat) and finished that around 10, and then the question went out "what next"? BT was clear, MH was clear, Sunwell was not looking promising with either our class balance or composition of several new members.

On one hand, I knew we should get time in and start working together, on the other hand, we spent 4 hours wiping on Kalecgos last week, and I just wasn't sure if I had more hours of wiping in me, so the officers batted it around and we decided to call it and let people enjoy and early evening off.

I'm honestly unsure about how to proceed at times like this, and recognize there is no good answer. Catch-22, "no win situation" style; if you call it early, you relieve some people who are dreading more time possibly wasted (chances of patterns dropping aside), and give people more time to rest and relax before hitting the rougher stuff, but at the same time, not doing the high end stuff can frustrate the die hard folks, and those who are utterly done with lower content, and the last thing you want to do is dishearten your hardcore raider base.

I do think time off was the right call, but it's like the decimation of a hefty part of our crew is finally hitting people. We're not so far back that Sunwell is completely out of our reach or anything, but I think people got used to chewing through at least the first 3 without too much trouble, and struggling with Kalecgos (mostly timing the demon kill and then finishing off the dragon) and Brutallus (admittedly, a gear check where we now have some people that fail said gear check) is kinda harsh.

Though one thing I find funny; if you look at the rares found in the initial WLK instances; many of them are on par or crappier than current level 70 rares. I know that like WLK, people are expected to end up there at 68 or so, but new instance weapons that are worse than stuff we've had access to for going on 2 years makes me go "Hrm?".

Something that always worked for us was to do something as a fun bonding activity. It helps merge the team and can be a nice stress blow off. Some of the stuff that's worked for us:

Level 1 raid on Hogger with 25+ people.
    Level 1 gnome death race to Stormwind.
    Raid on opposing faction's city.
    25 man AV raid.

It all kind of depends on how much time you're looking at. The goal is that you create something fun that becomes a common reference point to build community around.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Forar wrote: »

Something that always worked for us was to do something as a fun bonding activity. It helps merge the team and can be a nice stress blow off. Some of the stuff that's worked for us:

Level 1 raid on Hogger with 25+ people.
    Level 1 gnome death race to Stormwind.
    Raid on opposing faction's city.
    25 man AV raid.

It all kind of depends on how much time you're looking at. The goal is that you create something fun that becomes a common reference point to build community around.

We did similar stuff actually. What we did was do City raids. Man is that shit fun after a night of wiping and people are pissed off. It lets off alot of steam.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Heh that sounds like an awesome option. Half of my raid would probably go "fuck that I have arenas to do / my seventh 70 to level / whatever" and log off though.

We have that same issue constantly though. Nothing is worse than ALMOST having the right raid for Sunwell, but not quite, and you know it's not worth anyone's time going to trying X boss with Y classes in the raid, but all the other people just look and see "more than six healers" and "several tanks" and ask why we're going to Hyjal. Yeah the last thing I want to do is go to Hyjal again, but a few people need things and we're not about to kill Felmyst for the first time down healers and priests...

riz on
  • Options
    strahd618strahd618 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Happy - My wife and I had our first child :)
    Hope - My mother in law leaves soon
    Hate - my itch to play pvp made me re-open my WOW account, I also hate that my shiny honor earned season 1 gear looks pale next to everyones Season 2 gear.

strahd618 on
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Hope: That Blizzard won't turn WoW into a steaming pile of shit with the release of WoTLK. Revamping stats is NOT cool!
    Hate: That I haven't gotten any T6 yet.
    Happy: That I'm in a good raiding guild and will be able to do raids like Black Temple and Sunwell Plateau before WoTLK comes out.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What's wrong with revamping stats? It's not like they haven't already done it a million times.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    What's wrong with revamping stats? It's not like they haven't already done it a million times.

Eh, it's my first time being a player before the revamp. I like the stats the way they are now.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Then how do you know it's not cool?

815165 on
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    strahd618 wrote: »

Congratulations! :)

dylman on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    strahd618 wrote: »

Major Congrats on the baby!

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It wasn't cool the first time they did it!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On the topic of stat revamping: I don't like it either. I remember when Resilience was brand spanking new. Now Expertise, Armor Pen, and Haste are the hot flavor for the month. Adding in new stats and changing them on a whim just makes a hard balance issue with classes. I remember when rogues stacked agility for crit and +crit and +ap didn't really exist on items. Back when spirit was a useful stats and some tanks had a good amount to lesson the stress on healers by having a high amount of health per 5 seconds (this was way back when Scholo was a hard place and needed a raid).

I understand it's Blizzard's game and they're just going to do what they want, but dammit, I'm tired of having to re-itemize every few months because Blizzard decides it doesn't like a stat. Or I could take the route I already take and not care about any new stats.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    CidonaBoyCidonaBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On the topic of stat revamping: I don't like it either. I remember when Resilience was brand spanking new. Now Expertise, Armor Pen, and Haste are the hot flavor for the month. Adding in new stats and changing them on a whim just makes a hard balance issue with classes. I remember when rogues stacked agility for crit and +crit and +ap didn't really exist on items. Back when spirit was a useful stats and some tanks had a good amount to lesson the stress on healers by having a high amount of health per 5 seconds (this was way back when Scholo was a hard place and needed a raid).

I understand it's Blizzard's game and they're just going to do what they want, but dammit, I'm tired of having to re-itemize every few months because Blizzard decides it doesn't like a stat. Or I could take the route I already take and not care about any new stats.

I really don't understand why they are merging some stats and at the same time making new ones, but I can only assume they know what they are doing, resiliance worked out very well.

I dunno, I LIKE my paladin, but the sound of the revamp... I don't want to look at my paladin afterwards and find I just have a warrior with mana instead of rage. I like it the way it is now.

CidonaBoy on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    riz wrote:

I've had to re-learn how to body pull since I respecced to 0/40/21. I haven't had to do it since before level 50. I guess I can Mana Tap mobs that have mana, but its become quite difficult to pull some packs without a ranged pull.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Happy? - So now that KJ is dead I quite literally have nothing to do but level alts. Our 3-day raid week is great on paper, but is boring as sin in application.

Hope - I get a beta key so I have something to do.

Annoyed - As with finishing the game, people have started to quit (either entirely or the guild), but the people quitting are the people that have every single drop out of SW, for multiple specs, beyond things they're like 5th in line for simply because he haven't seen them drop.

Annoyed part 2 - The fact that we already know who is going to stick around to raid 3 days a week till Wrath finally comes out and instead of quitting, people who are kinda bad, are just sticking around to leech gear so they can leave later on. It would be better if people just quit now so we know who to replace instead of over-recruiting for a 3-day a week raid schedule just to have people sit out.

... part 3 - People we were hoping would quit want to stick around so we might just tell them to fuck off after our roster stabilizes a bit.

We have more guild drama AFTER killing bosses than during killing them.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    cna i haev epix pls

i rly need them pls pls pls

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How much are you doing in a 3 day week? Is that just SW or is it all the t6 content?

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I've had to re-learn how to body pull since I respecced to 0/40/21. I haven't had to do it since before level 50. I guess I can Mana Tap mobs that have mana, but its become quite difficult to pull some packs without a ranged pull.

Man I have AS and I still pull with mana tap or exorcism in a lot of Kara. So many undead and demons plus instant and less room for "oops where is my shield going?" error.

Indescribably happy: DARK KNIGHT.

riz on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Indescribably pissed: LAST SHOWING OF DARK KNIGHT SOLD OUT, TRY AGAIN TOMORROW.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Indescribably happy: DARK KNIGHT.

I KNOW!

I've seen it twice already, and have yet to snag an Imax show.

So a third time is in the cards.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    How much are you doing in a 3 day week? Is that just SW or is it all the t6 content?

All of it.

SW is a 1-3 pull affair for all bosses except KJ. We can probably knock it all out in 1 night, even if we don't we'll do him and Hyjal the next day. BT the next day.

Basically, unless we start doing T5 content, there's literally nothing else to do.

This week was...
    Tues: 5/6 Sunwell
    Wed: KJ + Hyjal + Gruul
    Thurs: BT

We also managed to make something like 38,000g from selling drops that would otherwise be sharded in BT/Hyjal so that slowed those 2 instances down a LOT.

We also do 1-2 ZA bear runs per reset, 1-2 Kara runs for alts and people who need badges, Naxx on Saturday (I think we're moving this to Monday to fill the void a bit), and sometimes we even hit MC/BWL when we can get enough bored people online or /2 ringers that don't radiate stupidity as a function of existence (so almost never).

Like, we're fucking BORED.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    haha gruul run out of fuckin' nowhere!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Little Jim wrote: »
    haha gruul run out of fuckin' nowhere!

We've only been raiding since January and have seen a total of 2 DSTs, one of which was on our very first kill. Neither of them raid with us anymore.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    haha man that's so depressing

"get on your mains, we're doing gruuls for the guy with warglaives!"

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    5 growth Gruul, go!

Forar on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DSTlol

how hilarious is Gruul with Sunwell gear?

Shatter would be almost trivial with the kind of HP that t6 gear gives even clothie DPS, Gruul would get to, what, grow 2?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I went on a pug to Gruul's with my night elf rouge that had a warrior in tier 6 tanking him. He got to 25 growths before he died

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, even Gruul at grow 13-14 (wipe point for guilds learning him) only hits for about 6k, 9k crushes. A t4 tank can't take that kind of beating, but Gorefiend hits for 8k normal hits, Gruul doesn't hit that hard until grow 18ish if I remember correctly.

I may be remembering incorrectly though.

edit: i mean i myself tanked Gruul for a PuG that got to growth 19 before I dropped, and I'm nowhere near considered a t6 tank even if I'm wearing a few bits of gear from there.
    Funny part was they tried to blame me for not being geared enough to survive past growth 19.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tasty Beverage got KJ? Grats crip.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Well, I guess it would be from enjoying the way stats are right now. Do you like having the feeling that a hideous monster is going to be created with the upcoming expansion to the game you pay $14.99 a month to play?

I would guess not.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Well, I guess it would be from enjoying the way stats are right now. Do you like having the feeling that a hideous monster is going to be created with the upcoming expansion to the game you pay $14.99 a month to play?

I would guess not.

I hang with people who have no idea it is coming, I have no understanding of how it is going to work so I don't really worry about it. I will continue playing and enjoying myself and if this change makes the game unplayable for me I will cancel my subscription and move on.

Seg on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    man we did gruul with 6 or so grows in bt/mh gear.. it must be so fun in sunwell stuff

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some of our dudes tried to five man gruul the other week with a rogue tanking. It's pretty hilarious.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
This discussion has been closed.