As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hatred, Hope, and Happiness: the trifecta of MMO emotions

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What were the troubles?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mostly melee not getting out of the way of fire in time, and people being stupid on airbursts.

Really what it was is people were having a hard time breaking the habit of it being a DPS race rather than a survival test.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hate: Pretty much all officers except the RL deciding that nah, you don't need positions for M'uru phase 2. All you need is "to grow a brain and watch out". Best try was 8% (but never a kill). Others were mostly in the 25-40 region.

So we had several wipes where people clump over time and then get gravity balled at the same time. Just keep on calling it bad luck.

Happy: Out of 18 tries last night, we reached p2 8 times, only botched the transition 2x of those. Not bad considering you need 6 minutes of near perfect play to get there.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In theory during "spread out" fights people shouldn't NEED to be given specific positions, a general "someone is next to me, we should move" is usually a valid strat if people aren't being dumb and pretending they don't see those people next to them. I remember trying specified positions for Gruul back in the day, and Archimonde, never stuck...

Sounds like you're getting there, though, so grats.

Hope: Decent raid for Sunwell tonight. Nothing is more demoralizing than heading to farm content on the first night of the raid week.

riz on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The problem is that M'uru p2 is an insane DPS check. This means that people will move as little as they think they can get away with. Now since there are effects that trigger movement, without a position to run back to people just naturally clump up in the middle over time, a gravity ball spawns near the clump and wipe. This was a direct cause for 3 wipes last night.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Excited for 10 mans... exactly how many "lol spread out!" fights can they make with the same instance and less than half the players?

Mgcw on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Hope: Decent raid for Sunwell tonight. Nothing is more demoralizing than heading to farm content on the first night of the raid week.

Sunday night we didn't have the DPS, last night we didn't have Healers/Tanks.

Totally random happiness though: Years behind, I finally picked up the pattern for Rich Purple Silk Shirts.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Excited for 10 mans... exactly how many "lol spread out!" fights can they make with the same instance and less than half the players?
    "lol spread out more!"

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    "lol spread out more!"

Hahaha, true, I didn't think of them just upping the range that at which attacks chain :lol:

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Totally random happiness though: Years behind, I finally picked up the pattern for Rich Purple Silk Shirts.

Hahah. You don't have that addon that tells you what percent of all the available patterns for your crafting profession you've learned, do you? Some people (all women, go figure) in my guild are obsessive about it. One warlock actually bought a BT healing shoulders pattern from the bank so she'd have it learned in her tailoring pane.

Some professions it's next to impossible to get 100% though, because of random drop patterns in MC or AQ40, etc. And I wonder about the old Naxx FrR patterns... I should get my lock attuned and go learn those just to have them. >.>

riz on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hate: Didn't spend any time on my triple xp druid and shaman combo yesterday. And here I was hoping they'd be 60 by now so I could start up on some other combo (tentatively Hunter/Mage), and then boost a fifth character up to 60 (tentatively a warrior, because fuck leveling warriors).

Happy: I didn't play them because enough important people in SO got new alts to 70 that they actually ran a Kara on Monday. Usually they do this on nights when I'm at work so by the time I'm on my weekend and want lots of badges, everyone online is already saved to one.

Hate/Amusing: The Kara was fail-tastic, which was both horrendous and hilarious.

We had the GL tanking this on his main, and everyone else was either an honorary member or an alt. It took somewhere between 3 and 4 hours. We wiped once on Maiden(!!), Nightbane, Illhoof, and Aran. The highlight of the night had to be the co-RL (as featured here and here, among other places) on his rogue alt managing to die on pretty much every boss besides Attumen and Prince, sometimes within the first ten seconds of the fight. My T4 Gloves didn't drop (Hero again D: ), and neither did the Stabilized Eternium Scope, but I guess the badges were nice, and I finally finished my SSC attunement.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    riz wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Hahah. You don't have that addon that tells you what percent of all the available patterns for your crafting profession you've learned, do you? Some people (all women, go figure) in my guild are obsessive about it. One warlock actually bought a BT healing shoulders pattern from the bank so she'd have it learned in her tailoring pane.

Some professions it's next to impossible to get 100% though, because of random drop patterns in MC or AQ40, etc. And I wonder about the old Naxx FrR patterns... I should get my lock attuned and go learn those just to have them. >.>

I'm not that bad, the only thing I was obsessive about was shirts. I can now make every color, including the seasonal ones.... My shit needs to match! (The irony of this is I pretty much never ever wear shirts) I haven't seen the pattern up in ages, the last I saw was going for 1,000g which... No, just no. But for less than an epic gem sells for? Sure.

Speaking of: I just learned last week that there's an epic gem vendor in Shatt by the portal. I'd been going to the isle all this time. :X Such a fool I am...

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hate: I couldnt go ten steps last night in ashenvale (with my Rogue) without getting ganked. I just needed to get to fucking Zoram strand and every time I would rez and start running I wouldnt get out of view of my last chalk outline before getting smushed again. The attackers were always different too. So I logged as my warrior and found a couple of them. Killed a couple of innocent bystanders for good measure. I hate when Im on a roll questing and have to log onto my main to teach someone a valueable lesson in name recognition.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Conflicted: I was in 1K Needles on my priest, down by the racetrack. Saw a gnome mage at my level fighting a basilisk, and decided to gank him. Thing is, he out-PVP'd me, and I went oom. I stopped and bowed, and he also stopped and went for a drink. I had a decent amount of health, and by this time had regained a significant amount of mana. :|

Yep, mind blast, SW:P, fearbomb, mindflay. I felt bad, but he was a gnome, you know?

TL DR on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hate:
    Blue wrote:
    Players at level 80 will also have the opportunity to compete in two new Arenas featuring challenging new layouts, terrain hazards, and moving obstacles.

Pretty sure I'm not happy to hear that at all.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    They discussed all that at WWI. There's a Dalaran arena with a water hazard and an Orgrimmar arena with spikes n' shit.

edit: http://www.wowwiki.com/Dalaran_Arena http://www.wowwiki.com/Orgrimmar_Arena

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sounds awful.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sounds -fun-, mind control some jackass and drown him in the water.

Edit: Jesus christ it's a battledome! Fucking awesome.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just had lots of bad experiences with Line-of-Sight shenanigans on my hunter in the past. I'm not looking forward to them exacerbating that.

In other news...

Incredibly Happy:
    Blue wrote:
    I totally agree. It's depressing to see how excited a 5-player group gets with a paladin tank just because they know they're going to get a good experience.

There are plenty of excellent warrior tanks out there -- don't get me wrong. But we think we can make the experience a little more fun for both the warrior and his or her group.

Generating a little more dps will help.
    Not being rage starved all the time will help.
    Being able to generate enough threat on groups will help a lot.
    Having a few more fun buttons to push certainly wouldn't suck either.
    We would also love, love, love to be able to merge and pack some of the mitigation talents together so that you have enough points to get some more fun talents*, so long as we can avoid any nerf to warrior survivability when tanking.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hate: I couldnt go ten steps last night in ashenvale (with my Rogue) without getting ganked. I just needed to get to fucking Zoram strand and every time I would rez and start running I wouldnt get out of view of my last chalk outline before getting smushed again. The attackers were always different too. So I logged as my warrior and found a couple of them. Killed a couple of innocent bystanders for good measure. I hate when Im on a roll questing and have to log onto my main to teach someone a valueable lesson in name recognition.

You can see how this is a circle of hatred can't you?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »

*evil voice*

Excellent, excellent...

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »

Pretty much. I can't resist the urge to get revenge now that I have a decently geared 70. This option wasnt there when I was levelling elcidd... I just had to stand there in ghost form and watch them camp and teabag my corpse until they got bored. Now I am a bitter, angry orc who drinks to much and yells at kids who step on his lawn in orgrimmar.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Conflicted: I was in 1K Needles on my priest, down by the racetrack. Saw a gnome mage at my level fighting a basilisk, and decided to gank him. Thing is, he out-PVP'd me, and I went oom. I stopped and bowed, and he also stopped and went for a drink. I had a decent amount of health, and by this time had regained a significant amount of mana. :|

Yep, mind blast, SW:P, fearbomb, mindflay. I felt bad, but he was a gnome, you know?

Yeah that was pretty much a super dick move

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it a dick move to watch an alliance rogue and shaman (resto) duel outside of Shattrath city, wait for the rogue to lose... and then moonfire them and run off laughing?
    What if the rogue's name was "Sefferoth"?

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Yeah, seriously wtf. I really should have made my Warrior a Gnome instead of a Dwarf, I didn't know they fucking pissed people off that much. I'll just have to make a Gnome DK I guess.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Charus wrote: »
    Happy: I didn't play them because enough important people in SO got new alts to 70 that they actually ran a Kara on Monday. Usually they do this on nights when I'm at work so by the time I'm on my weekend and want lots of badges, everyone online is already saved to one.

Hate/Amusing: The Kara was fail-tastic, which was both horrendous and hilarious.

We had the GL tanking this on his main, and everyone else was either an honorary member or an alt. It took somewhere between 3 and 4 hours. We wiped once on Maiden(!!), Nightbane, Illhoof, and Aran. The highlight of the night had to be the co-RL (as featured here and here, among other places) on his rogue alt managing to die on pretty much every boss besides Attumen and Prince, sometimes within the first ten seconds of the fight. My T4 Gloves didn't drop (Hero again D: ), and neither did the Stabilized Eternium Scope, but I guess the badges were nice, and I finally finished my SSC attunement.

I wish I hadn't been having an argument with Zimi during that Kara so I could have stayed in the lobby and listened to Vent. It sounded AWESOME from my secondhand reports. Also I would not consider anyone in that run except Rokh "important people in SO with fresh 70 alts." ;)

The thing about Kara and when it's run is mostly dependent on tanks. I've been leveling my shaman so I haven't been pushing to tank a Kara every week on my alt, Magi already tanked one this week and I dragged Zimi into that one as ret, so that's three. Valaine was tanking them on her paladin alt but she's been super busy at work so not logging on for off-nights at all, it seems. And that is pretty much the extent of our "people willing to tank Kara" except for when someone convinces Az to respec.

riz on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I dont gun for gnomes, but Night Elves.... thats different. 90 percent of my gankings have been at the hands of night elves. Am I wrong for wanting to genocide them from my server?

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yeah, seriously wtf. I really should have made my Warrior a Gnome instead of a Dwarf, I didn't know they fucking pissed people off that much. I'll just have to make a Gnome DK I guess.
    When I'm on my Warlock, people get a real hardon for trying to gank me.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    Is it a dick move to watch an alliance rogue and shaman (resto) duel outside of Shattrath city, wait for the rogue to lose... and then moonfire them and run off laughing?
    What if the rogue's name was "Sefferoth"?

Doing this to people outside Org/IF is ok. Doing outside Shattrath is pretty dickish. However if he was called Sefferoth then your are legally obligied to kill.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

There is a consensus amongst my friends that Dwarves are the only cool alliance race. I try to avoid fighting them.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I take great joy at irritating people in PvP, this is why I think I should have rolled a Gnome. There's nothing quite like /laugh ing at people when you kill them and then have them chase you around the BG attempting to revenge kill you instead of getting objectives.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I take great joy at irritating people in PvP, this is why I think I should have rolled a Gnome. There's nothing quite like /laugh ing at people when you kill them and then have them chase you around the BG attempting to revenge kill you instead of getting objectives.

On that note the male gnome laugh is enough to stop me from whatever im doing at the time and attempt to silence the source of that horrible noise.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've rolled the female gnome with pink pony tails on a pvp server before. Usually with a cutsey name.

This was intended as bait.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I really want to be a gnome but all my friends are horde and I dunno if I could handle leveling up without my free golds from my 70s :(

Scroffus on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

On that note the male gnome laugh is enough to stop me from whatever im doing at the time and attempt to silence the source of that horrible noise.

The only thing worse is... well, anything that comes out of a blood elf's mouth.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The only thing worse is... well, anything that comes out of a blood elf's mouth.

Is it so wrong that I keep thinking of things to put into thier mouth?
    Things like a grenade.
    A Love grenade :winky:

Scroffus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just had lots of bad experiences with Line-of-Sight shenanigans on my hunter in the past. I'm not looking forward to them exacerbating that.

In other news...

Incredibly Happy:
    Blue wrote:
    I totally agree. It's depressing to see how excited a 5-player group gets with a paladin tank just because they know they're going to get a good experience.

There are plenty of excellent warrior tanks out there -- don't get me wrong. But we think we can make the experience a little more fun for both the warrior and his or her group.

Generating a little more dps will help.
    Not being rage starved all the time will help.
    Being able to generate enough threat on groups will help a lot.
    Having a few more fun buttons to push certainly wouldn't suck either.
    We would also love, love, love to be able to merge and pack some of the mitigation talents together so that you have enough points to get some more fun talents*, so long as we can avoid any nerf to warrior survivability when tanking.

You forgot the important last line of that.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Happy: finally got round to...

jhordylapforge.jpg

edit: managed to snag the name Thoridal for my belfadin on the new realm, yay for not being good at thinking up names

815165 on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    In Strat you at least have a chance at not getting the mount. While in Scholo there isn't a mount to not get.

Made perfect sense to me.

Happy: Did heroic SP for the daily and got me some Midnight Legguards for my little DPS warrior. Almost hit capped!

Are you a Slam-spec warrior? Because if you're dual-wielding and aiming for the hit cap... o_O

I'm a mix of arms/fury, with MS, sword spec, and flurry. WoWwiki says I need like, 142 hit, to never miss. This puts me at 100.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
This discussion has been closed.