As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Worse kept secret confirmed. KOTOR MMO by Bioware.

CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Fuck Ewoks.
"We've got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development," said Riccitiello. The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. "And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it."

Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? "Yes," he said.

There you go.

Everyone happy now?

Cade on

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They should get SOE to make it IMO

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Worst Kept Secret indeed.

A terrible idea.

Sueve on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait, huh?
    Today, two-thirds of the game industry is console systems and dedicated handhelds. "We expect in 2011 for it to be fifty-percent," Riccitiello said.

That sounds backwards to me or something...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    BarcaBarca Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll be happy as long as there is a separate KOTOR 3 to finish up the storyline of the first two games.

Barca on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait, huh?
    Today, two-thirds of the game industry is console systems and dedicated handhelds. "We expect in 2011 for it to be fifty-percent," Riccitiello said.

That sounds backwards to me or something...

They expect the iPhone to do really well as a gaming platform.

I can handle a KotOR MMO as long as it isn't anything like World of Warcraft. I know this is repeated a lot, but I don't want to grind wamp rats until I get Force Lightning at level 10.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    boooooooo! hisssss.

And here I was hoping for a completely new property that I might actually care about.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The big boss finally spilled the beans. I think if anyone is going to make a Star Wars MMO good it's going to be in the KOTOR universe. Also I've loved everything BioWare has made so I'll play it.

Drool on
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really don't see how something like KOTOR can work as a MMO. Seems like it's kinda pointless next to SWG.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Werewulfy wrote: »
    I really don't see how something like KOTOR can work as a MMO. Seems like it's kinda pointless next to SWG.

Maybe they can do a Star Wars MMO right, instead of kind of right and then changing it to be completely terrible.

captaink on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope I not reading this right, but
    But EA is firmly on that path now, with a KOTOR MMO, which would sidestep the consoles owned by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. "Increasingly, people are going to be talking about direct-to-customer in our business," said Riccitiello. "I think we'll be talking about it louder than most."

reads to me like PC only. Which would suck for me as I don't have a gaming PC.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As long as it is out of Sonys hands and Lucas keeps his mouth shut the game should be alright.

Cade on
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just wish they would hurry up and finish it so Simutronics can finally get their own game out.

TurnpikeLad on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Werewulfy wrote: »

That implies that there's a point to SWG currently.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    As long as this isn't KOTOR3, don't care.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Son of a bitch. Okay, so concept wise I think we know how bad this can be. There's only room for it to be better than we think (or not as bad as we think, if you want to be picky about words), right?

Henroid on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    According to all the same rumors there is going to be a single player KOTOR3 and this MMO.

Makes sense to me since each one could hype the other one up.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Son of a bitch. Okay, so concept wise I think we know how bad this can be. There's only room for it to be better than we think (or not as bad as we think, if you want to be picky about words), right?

BioWare have not made a bad game. Period.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

This is true it can only be better then SWG and the rest of SOE's shitty MMOs.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Look, I know to give them that much credit. But it's an MMO installment for a great series. The story telling elements are gone, or cut back a LOT due to the nature.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    According to all the same rumors there is going to be a single player KOTOR3 and this MMO.

Makes sense to me since each one could hype the other one up.

Depends. You could eb about to strike the final blow on the final boss when it cuts away to...

"Next time on KOTOR, will PC finally kill Darth Villainus? How about Carth Anasasi. Can he continue to survive despite intense player hatred? All htis and more, when you pay for a subscription to KOTOR MMO! Cya there!"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    20060329.jpg
    And this was back in 2006.

I have faith in Bioware to make a good MMO and the KOTOR setting might be the best for a Starwars MMO. I suppose we can only sit and wait. . . and bicker.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I have shit out things better than Star Wars Galaxies.

Seriously, like that time when I was eight and swallowed a plastic sword that came with my Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtle.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TenelTenel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    anyone who is a skeptic as to how much pure win there is in this... just darwin awards yourself please?

Bioware + Kotor + MMO = winning formula.

Tenel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Seriously, like that time when I was eight and swallowed a plastic sword that came with my Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtle.

Ouch. My colon just spasmed.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Gyral wrote: »

To be fair I did down it to take out Shredder, which I had swallowed an hour earlier.

Shredder never came out, so I can only assume he was vanquished.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My boss could have meant anything when he said "Yes." I don't know how things work around your neck of the woods, but a flat "Yes" isn't considered explicit confirmation down in Austin.

takyris on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Look, I know to give them that much credit. But it's an MMO installment for a great series. The story telling elements are gone, or cut back a LOT due to the nature.

They've said that the whole point is basically finding ways to put story telling into an MMO. And since it is a BioWare game I don't see them approaching it any other way.

Drool on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know it will be good, probably even great, but I don't care for Star Wars so I am instantly turned off. If it was Mass Effect, though...all my dicks.
    I realize I'm in the minority but this is the internet so I will pretend my thoughts matter.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

To be fair I did down it to take out Shredder, which I had swallowed an hour earlier.

Well at least you took out that bastard Shredder.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Drool wrote: »

They've said that the whole point is basically finding ways to put story telling into an MMO. And since it is a BioWare game I don't see them approaching it any other way.

If they can pull it off, they will have put themselves in a position of unquestioningly greatness. I guess you can say I'm scared for them. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I guess that scene of Casey Jones turning on the garbage compactor should be altered to him hitting the handle on a toilet.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yeah but Bebop and Rocksteady are still at large.

Who knows what I will have to swallow to stop them.

Also, I agree with Accualt. Star Wars, I feel it has been leeched of all interest. Mass Effect MMO perhaps, but the game is so story driven around Shepard it might be a little bad as an MMO. But like Star Wars, an infinite universe of possibilities is a perfect setting for an MMO.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    takyris wrote: »
    My boss could have meant anything when he said "Yes." I don't know how things work around your neck of the woods, but a flat "Yes" isn't considered explicit confirmation down in Austin.

But but but . . . I think you just love crushing my soul.

Joystiq says this: [Update: We've just spoken with N. Evan Van Zelfden, the writer of the report, who told us that when asked specifically if this game was "KOTOR Online", Riccitiello responded unequivocally, "Yes." So, there you have it – sounds like we can take off our skeptical glasses.]

Drool on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

If they can pull it off, they will have put themselves in a position of unquestioningly greatness. I guess you can say I'm scared for them. :P
    And there's still gonna be KOTOR3 so it's not like it matters too much about the story in the MMO. They could just spend all their time making story lines that just intersect plot points in the single player games and be set for life.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited July 2008

And there's still gonna be KOTOR3 so it's not like it matters too much about the story in the MMO. They could just spend all their time making story lines that just intersect plot points in the single player games and be set for life.

KotOR3 is still going to be a separate project? Oh, okay, phew. I always wanted to see how this Revan shit comes to a close.

Henroid on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Awesome! I can't wait for every douche on the internet to complain until the entire game is nothing more than a Jedi simulator at the expense of every other class.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    An MMO is a horrible continuation of the KOTOR series. KOTOR is about decisions you make that affect the galaxy. MMO's are about being able to do the same thing over and over again, without making a difference in the universe.

It's just a bad idea.

Heffling on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

"Is the rumoured game you're making a Knights of the Old Republic MMO?"
    "Yes."

What ELSE could he have been saying yes to? In our neck of the woods, that's a pretty explicit confirmation there.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Heffling wrote: »
    An MMO is a horrible continuation of the KOTOR series. KOTOR is about decisions you make that affect the galaxy. MMO's are about being able to do the same thing over and over again, without making a difference in the universe.

It's just a bad idea.

Well there's that. Also the almost complete lack of Jedi during the KOTOR era. And Sith.

Say what you want but people want to play as Force users.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

"Is the rumoured game you're making a Knights of the Old Republic MMO?"
    "Yes."

What ELSE could he have been saying yes to? In our neck of the woods, that's a pretty explicit confirmation there.

Yeah really. That doesn't leave to much room for interpretation to me. Unless someone asked him if he wanted a Vodka Martini right after the first question was asked and the "yes" was for that instead.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.