As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Knight

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you have a flower garden.

now go away and tend to it.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    you have a flower garden.

now go away and tend to it.

That's better.

The Dark Hillbilly on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    The Dark Knight dropped to number three behind Tropic Thunder and Star Wars: The Clone Wars this weekend, but it also jumped into #2 on the all-time chart, behind Titanic, and it'll probably stop there.

Until people factor in inflation, at which point it needs to make roughly 1.2 quadrillion dollars, or some shit.

apparently factoring in inflation it is number 6 of all time

gone with the wind is number one at 1.4 billion dollars on that scale

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    Titanic is a great movie

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    no it isn't

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2008
    you're just jealous because it's big and you're tiny

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    keith I have more mass than you and you know it.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    not something to be proud of shawty

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    keith you are not taller than me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    titanic sucks and celine dion sucks and keith sucks and tlb sucks end of discussion

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i am so taller than you

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    no you aren't

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    titanic sucks and celine dion and keith and tlb sucks end of discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVKv6PdBR-I

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you're the same height, be quiet

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    geebs

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    titanic sucks and celine dion and keith and tlb sucks end of discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVKv6PdBR-I

the best version of this song was performed by a mummy in a disney channel original movie

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looking at the box office reports for the end of '97, the only other big budget movies that came out around Titanic were Tomorrow Never Dies and The Postman, both of which were terrible. The only critically acclaimed movies out then were As Good As It Gets (dec) and Good Will Hunting (Jan). Everything else was crap like Mr. Magoo, Home Alone 3, and Mouse Hunt.

Forgetting the fact that millions of young women were still in love with Leo from Romeo+Juliet the year before, and that thousands of young men would sit through the whole film for Kate Winslet's tits it doesn't surprise me that Titanic was #1 for two months straight - there was nothing else worth seeing.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whoa. Did you just call Mouse Hunt crap?

I will murder you.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here is my problem with the approach that they are taking with Batman.
    It's too "real world"
    Let me explain. Road to Perdition or History of Violence. Both movies based on comic books, but in a real world setting. I have NO problem with them. But when you take a movie like Batman which is based on fantastical elements, an iconic comic book character and you take away those more fantastical elements it loses something for me. Example: making Joker just a psycho without getting his skin bleached out by chemicals.
    I mean they way they are approaching the movies could you picture Superman crossing over with Batman? Or what about characters like Clayface, or Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy, or Killer Croc?
    I could see them doing a Poison Ivy as a femme fatale, with poison on her lips or nails but not commanding plants and so forth. Killer Croc would be a psycho with a skin condition. In a way I think they are limiting themselves.

As far as COMIC BOOK movies are concerned I think that Marvel hitting closer to the mark.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy the film,I thought Ledger did a great job with the Joker and overall enjoyed the film immensely!

MAD! on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Whoa. Did you just call Mouse Hunt crap?

I will murder you.

Which terrible movie did you like more, Mouse Hunt or Clone Wars?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MAD! wrote: »
    It's too "real world"
    Let me explain. Road to Perdition or History of Violence. Both movies based on comic books, but in a real world setting. I have NO problem with them. But when you take a movie like Batman which is based on fantastical elements, an iconic comic book character and you take away those more fantastical elements it loses something for me. Example: making Joker just a psycho without getting his skin bleached out by chemicals.
    I mean they way they are approaching the movies could you picture Superman crossing over with Batman? Or what about characters like Clayface, or Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy, or Killer Croc?
    I could see them doing a Poison Ivy as a femme fatale, with poison on her lips or nails but not commanding plants and so forth. Killer Croc would be a psycho with a skin condition. In a way I think they are limiting themselves.

As far as COMIC BOOK movies are concerned I think that Marvel hitting closer to the mark.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy the film,I thought Ledger did a great job with the Joker and overall enjoyed the film immensely!

You're right, Clayface, Freeze & co wouldn't work - but that's why they would change them to fit. There's nothing wrong with another interpretation of Batman, a character whose work has spanned the goofy happiness of Dick Sprang to the grim rat-eating of Frank Miller.

Lux on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Titanic is a great movie on VHS, because the iceberg hits at the start of tape 2, so you can throw tape 1 out, aside from the brief clip of boobies.

Fix't.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I heard a comedian explain Titanic best this way: "Teenage girls finally found their 'Star Wars'"

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Titanic is a great movie on VHS, because the iceberg hits at the start of tape 2, so you can throw tape 1 out, aside from the brief clip of boobies.

Fix't.

I ain't watching Titanic for the titties

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Fix't.

I ain't watching Titanic for the titties

There are two reasons to watch Titanic: titties, and Billy Zane. Choose wisely.

Actually there is no unwise choice.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's too "real world"

I disagree, the removal of the fantasy elements is exactly what comic book movies need. I wouldn't want to see some broad commanding plants in a batman movie or see supes fly around. I think Dark Knight shows that the superhero genre can produce some truly enjoyable films that aren't just popcorn-munching blockbusters. Besides, the thing that makes Batman so popular is that he is a normal dude, no powers, mo magic, no gammarays/spider-radiation, etc. He shows what a man could accomplish with enough determination (and money). To put him up against real-world elements such as organized crime and, a corrupt police force, and a psycopathic, anarchist, murderer stresses that he is a normal dude. The viewer can relate to:
    fighting a guy that didn't care that you were knocking the shit out of him

The viewer can not relate to fighting a shape-changing mud monster.

It just seems that the mindset of "embrace the fantastical" when dealing with superhero movies is what led to the fantastic four flicks, the sand monster scene in spider-men 3, x-men 3, etc.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Besides, the thing that makes Batman so popular is that he is a normal dude, no powers, mo magic, no gammarays/spider-radiation, etc.

Actually, I'd argue that Batman definitely has a super power in the new movies.
    It's Lucius Fox.

the creation of his character is probably what I despise the most about the nolan films.

Guek on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    lucius fox wasn't invented for the films sweetie

Tube on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    Besides, the thing that makes Batman so popular is that he is a normal dude, no powers, mo magic, no gammarays/spider-radiation, etc.

It's Lucius Fox.

the creation of his character is probably what I despise the most about the nolan films.

Yea... Lucius has been around for a while. Apparently he was first introduced in 1979. Which means he has probably been around longer than you.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited August 2008

d'oh

either way, I hate what his inclusion does to the batman character in the movies. because of Fox, batman has little need to be any sort of competent scientist or even a detective.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

It's Lucius Fox.

Yea... Lucius has been around for a while. Apparently he was first introduced in 1979. Which means he has probably been around longer than you.

now that you mention it, i feel like even more of a doof since I remember his character being in the bruce timm animated series. still, while I understand the need to give batman a realistic way to obtain all his tech, i dislike how they down play batman's intellectual side.

Guek on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

d'oh

either way, I hate what his inclusion does to the batman character in the movies. because of Fox, batman has little need to be any sort of competent scientist or even a detective.

Batman does some pretty sweet detectiving with the ballistics tests and piecing the bullet together (although I'm not sure how the Joker assumed he would do all that, but hey, whatever).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

d'oh

Batman does some pretty sweet detectiving with the ballistics tests and piecing the bullet together (although I'm not sure how the Joker assumed he would do all that, but hey, whatever).

didn't he essentially cut out the block from the wall, scan it, and then give it to fox to figure out? or am i not remembering correctly?

Guek on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

d'oh

didn't he essentially cut out the block from the wall, scan it, and then give it to fox to figure out? or am i not remembering correctly?
    I'm pretty sure you're misremembering. He cut the block out, then shot a bunch of similar blocks in the batcave to test the different bullets, then scanned the right one to figure out how the bullet shattered. I'm sure he got help from Fox since I think they used the sonar gadget to scan the bullet pieces, but the tests were definitely done in the batcave.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think Lucius and the R&D division of Waynetech helps to humanize Batman in the new flick. It takes away the near-god-like level that he is often portrayed as having in the comic. Bats obviously has extremely high deductive reasoning skills, but to also make him so tech-savvy that he can single-handedly design and construct a plethora of post-military grade equipment and technology is unbelievable- -especially considering how young he is the Nolan movies.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He's actually older in the movies than he is in most comics. He's 31 in The Dark Knight.

In a recent Batman issue (I think the first issue of RIP), Jezebel Jet says, "You're over 30 years old!", which someone really only says when the person is in their early 30s (otherwise it'd be "You're almost 40 years old!"), so they're pretty similar in age, I guess (also i think Batman in the comics being younger than 40 is bullshit)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He's actually older in the movies than he is in most comics. He's 31 in The Dark Knight.

In a recent Batman issue (I think the first issue of RIP), Jezebel Jet says, "You're over 30 years old!", which someone really only says when the person is in their early 30s (otherwise it'd be "You're almost 40 years old!"), so they're pretty similar in age, I guess (also i think Batman in the comics being younger than 40 is bullshit)

Yeah that line made me chuckle a bit. Guy sure has been busy to just be in his thirties.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yeah, that'd make sense. he turned 30 in begins and DK takes place a year afterwards.

I agree with the silliness of him being under 40 in the comics. Then again, I never really keep up with canon, so what actually has or has not happened to him, I don't know.
    batman_alexross.jpg

I imagine him this old.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    there's not a lot of age indication in that picture

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's too "real world"

I disagree, the removal of the fantasy elements is exactly what comic book movies need. I wouldn't want to see some broad commanding plants in a batman movie or see supes fly around. I think Dark Knight shows that the superhero genre can produce some truly enjoyable films that aren't just popcorn-munching blockbusters. Besides, the thing that makes Batman so popular is that he is a normal dude, no powers, mo magic, no gammarays/spider-radiation, etc. He shows what a man could accomplish with enough determination (and money). To put him up against real-world elements such as organized crime and, a corrupt police force, and a psycopathic, anarchist, murderer stresses that he is a normal dude. The viewer can relate to:
    fighting a guy that didn't care that you were knocking the shit out of him

The viewer can not relate to fighting a shape-changing mud monster.

It just seems that the mindset of "embrace the fantastical" when dealing with superhero movies is what led to the fantastic four flicks, the sand monster scene in spider-men 3, x-men 3, etc.

No, terrible scripts and shitty directors are what led to those scenes. There were good movies about superheroes with powers, and there were terrible movies about unpowered heroes. Style and tone are independent from quality.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif