As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Piracy dilemma: Solved

FalxFalx Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I run an internet cafe, and I just a few minutes ago had some... ah "words" with a customer. He says the website he was downloading music from is in fact a legit site, as he was paying for all his downloads.

I say he forgot to wear his pirate hat and eyepatch.

Is there any way I can check this website to see if it is infact a legal place to download music from? I'm not going to post a link to the site for obvious reasons, but if it is needed to determine if it is legal, please mods just let me know.

The fact that the url ends with .ru is pretty suspicious to me already.

Falx on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Let me preface this with a good old "I am not a lawyer".
    It's your cafe.
    If it looks suspicious, you're well within your rights to boot his ass out, seeing as how it's your ass on the line if it is breaking the law.

As for checking out the website, I'd imagine the RIAA or similar groups have a list of websites that give them money for music. I'd like to think they'd make such a list available publicly.

see317 on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If the URL is all(words).ru it is technicly legit, though contested. The songs there are way cheaper, because they're sold under the russian license. I don't think the RIAA is overly happy with them, but I'm not sure they've done anything about it.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's Russian, there is no way in hell that the money the guy might be paying to the Russians is getting to the music companies who own the music.

Tell him to stop.

Daxon on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If I were you I wouldn't get bogged down into discussion of what is piracy and what is not. Neither of you are lawyers, publishing industry reps or anything like that. Just tell him you reserve the right to terminate access to your facilities at any point to any person and you are now doing so with him. Give him a refund if he has prepaid.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They've tried, but failed. Russian copyright is different and there are some legal sites that exploit it. See the news on the attempted shutdown of allofmp3.com

Just tell him you reserve the right to terminate access to your facilities at any point to any person and you are now doing so with him. Give him a refund if he has prepaid.
    Win. For one thing it means no arguements.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man it turns out the asshole ripped a mouse cable out in his childishness without me noticing, if he ever comes back he's getting more than an argument on piracy.

But thanks anyway guys, I'm marking this solved.

Falx on
This discussion has been closed.