As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ikariam On] kitten-poem-wielding pirate-based alliance

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes. At the moment, the biggest thing I've noticed is that those obnoxious plus signs are gone.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Baidol wrote: »
    those obnoxious plus signs are gone.

How else will you buy that precious Ambrosia??!?!!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have the power.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Is Greyskull involved in any manner, skars?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And how many complaints about pillaging piled up in your inbox while you were away?

Darian on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did they change gold income? I went from being -7k an hour to -14k for some reason.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have not noticed a change in finances, but I usually don't pay too close attention to that.

What I have noticed is that spies now have a chance of running away when they get caught, instead of being summarily executed.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My stone colony isnt producing stone, wood or research and its at -800 gold with a happy population.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Finances are shared across all your colonies, and costs for units are doubled while they are in the field. Did you recently build some units, or send a large number out on attack?

The easy way to double your upkeep is to send out all your units on some sort of action.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i have a few troops stationed from my main town in a secondary town, but not many. And i havent taken any military action in awhile.

edit: apparently i should look at the cost of doctors before i buy 20 of them. I have a really large military overall for my civ size, gonna shave off some extra swordsman/phalanx.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Actually you might be better off cutting some of those doctors. I only have about 20 with 4 cities and a 15k military.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Doctors shouldn't be kept sitting around; you only need cooks and doctors if you are actively attacking/being attacked.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    And how many complaints about pillaging piled up in your inbox while you were away?

My inbox was devoid of fun. :(

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Clearly, we're doing it wrong.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hah, now there is one! I wonder if they just get sent to neverland during vacation?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Possible; it certainly is the case that all messages are deleted after some period of time (I think somewhere between 4 and 7 days).

Edit:
    Oh, and we launched a semi-secret place for tactical discussions. You should already have access to it, though. If anyone else wants access, PM me in game or on here for details.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ah, braddley, how we've missed you.
    braddley wrote:
    i have a tip for you i used to be a small alliance leader then i acedently offered upax a peace treaty now whenever they are looking for some one to attack they attack me so dont offer peace treatys to big alliances inless you have a freind that is a higher up or something

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ah, braddley, how we've missed you.
    braddley wrote:
    i have a tip for you i used to be a small alliance leader then i acedently offered upax a peace treaty now whenever they are looking for some one to attack they attack me so dont offer peace treatys to big alliances inless you have a freind that is a higher up or something

Our legacy lives on.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so, have the greasemonkey scripts been fixed yet?

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Which ones broke?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I changed nothing in my towns but I just noticed all but the capitol lost some happiness. Amounts to about 100 population in each. Did the patch change some calculation or something?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Have you recently broken any treaties by attacking someone? That causes about a 2h happiness hit in all your cities.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I figured it out. I disbanded some troops, so they became townies again, and since all my towns were al equilibrium, they became unhappy till the extra peeps poofed. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    have they fixed the userscripts yet?
    i feel handicapped without em now

hellllllllllp

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Darian on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What scripts do you guys use? I feel like the only necessary one is the Score linker which, yes, still works.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I currently have access to slingers, phalanxes, sword men, archers, gyros, catapults, rams, cooks and doctors. I currently have nigh on no army because I ran out of gold after leaving it for a few days and I want to rebuild a balanced force, obviously phalanxes are going to be a big part of it but what should I concentrate for offence?

NB I've upgraded defence on phalanxes and swordsmen and offence on archers previously.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Did anyone actually get this to work?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ebz123 wrote: »
    I currently have access to slingers, phalanxes, sword men, archers, gyros, catapults, rams, cooks and doctors. I currently have nigh on no army because I ran out of gold after leaving it for a few days and I want to rebuild a balanced force, obviously phalanxes are going to be a big part of it but what should I concentrate for offence?

NB I've upgraded defence on phalanxes and swordsmen and offense on archers previously.

Phalanxes and Swords. Thats all one needs 'till the Steam Giants come around. I don't know if rams are working again, or more than likely still not working, but you'd only need them for/during sieges. Same with cooks and doctors.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like gunsmen too. Archers you can safely avoid.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yea, I have ~100 gunsmen, but I'm not sure if they are really worth it. Way low stamina, but they do add quite a bit of punch to your offense numbers

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Feels like interest is rapidly waning here; for those who might be interested in spicing things up, the Crew and DPX are working together on a series of military probes of each of the top 100 alliances. You can find details here. PM me if you might want to participate and I'll put you in touch with the right people.

Darian on
  • Options
    Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I saw an ad on facebook earlier for a cat poetry competition.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    CavDawgCavDawg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feels like interest is rapidly waning here; for those who might be interested in spicing things up, the Crew and DPX are working together on a series of military probes of each of the top 100 alliances. You can find details here. PM me if you might want to participate and I'll put you in touch with the right people.

I be the Crew's First Mate, and I be approvin' this here message.

I came here to be invitin' ye all, because ye be true pirates at heart, but I see Darian already jumped on it.

CavDawg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i'm still playing.. working on the resources to get lvl 4 governors in all my towns to get a corruption-free 4th colony

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    redfenix wrote: »
    i'm still playing.. working on the resources to get lvl 4 governors in all my towns to get a corruption-free 4th colony

I'm working on level 5's. It's awful. The required wine is really killing me.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've given up on my proxy for now and made another wine colony; it takes time to find new good wine pillages every few days.

Darian on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm mostly playing my Eta account at the moment. If someone can give me some instructions and advice on how to put my nation into more of a war footing instead of the resource gathering mode it's in right now, I'd be more than happy to help!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Get a sulfur supplier or island. Build many troops. Swordsmen early, gunners and steam giants late. Also get some navy, I like fireships then paddlewheel rams. Concurrently, build up your hideouts and spy network. Start small with a couple trial attacks, then move up to people closer to your size. Reinvest all the gold you get into new cargo ships. Be an ass, and fuck with people when they try to complain and get you to stop.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, the main needs for war footing are these:

1. A proxy colony. Either upgrade the palace to one beyond what you use for your standing colonies, or abandon an existing colony; the ability to launch attacks with 20 minutes notice rather than the x hours it takes them to travel from your colonies is indispensible for major offensives, at least until military treaties are properly implemented.
    2. Sulfur to build troops. During peacetime you build steam giants and phalanx, plus keep a small standing navy at each city. In wartime, swordsmen are your friends, with cooks (about one per 100 swords, 50 phalanx, 20 gunners, or 10 steamgiants is the ratio I've heard recommended).
    3. Gold to support the army. For this, you need good (high gold, low/no defense) pillage targets available, or you need regular trade (sell) partners. You could also simply turn down your production of goods, but if you can sell them for more than it costs to gather them, that would be better.

I can help with the sulfur if that is a need. If you need a nudge to be ready to have a proxy, I or we can probably help with that as well. There are also some good essays on war over in the public area of the DPX forums.

Edit: ^ what he said. So you need a navy as well; for the offensive-minded, that means mainly flamethrowers then paddlewheel rams. Also, the proxy is only needed for co-ordinated long distance attacks. If you're just pillaging the neighbors and your local farms, you don't need one.

Darian on