As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii] Core Games AOC - After October Conference - Games? GAMES!! [56k GTFO]

• Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OP utterly fails for not even mentioning Wario Land Shake It. The only Wii game I'm looking forward to. It looks amazing and the Wario Land series are the best platform games ever made. Especially 3.

Arceus on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    OP utterly fails for not even mentioning Wario Land Shake It. The only Wii game I'm looking forward to. It looks amazing and the Wario Land series are the best platform games ever made. Especially 3.

The OP is only listing Third Party games.

But maybe at this point it'd be a good idea to list all the first party ones as well.

slash000 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Isn't Harvest moon: Tree of Life due out this year, come to think of it?
    Not one I'd been watching, so I'm unsure.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it's supposed to come out next month.

In the US.

It might be on the Wii 2 in Europe. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    MadWorld and Conduit are coming out in 2009. 2009 is going to be so awesome.

Fixed.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think people are putting an awful lot of faith into The Conduit just because the developers said nice-sounding things.
    It still looks a little generic.
    You want to look at pushing the Wii graphically? Look at Deadly Creatures.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I think people are putting an awful lot of faith into The Conduit just because the developers said nice-sounding things.
    It still looks a little generic.
    Well the IGN guys are pretty ga ga over the game, maybe that's where that faith is coming from? I'm not saying you should listen to IGN, but a lot of people do so that may be why it's getting so hyped.

Opium on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Glad to see it's not just me looking forwards to De Blob.
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    Space Invaders RTS

Come again?

[awesome_pictures]

Wow, that looks really cool...

Alright, so I translated the page Lewie linked, dug around some more, and found this:
    Wiifanboy wrote:
    Just a few days after the first scan, Taito has released a few screens of the new Wii Space Invaders game, Space Invaders Get Even. In this "from the Invaders' perspective" game, swarms of glowing 8-bit Invaders take down 3D cities. The player uses the Nunchuk to control the elusive UFO, and the Wii Remote to direct 300 Invaders. The stages are broken into three areas each, and there are forest, city, military, and other types of stages.

We still don't know how the three types of Invader differ, but we can at least see that they can be directed at separate targets, even outside of their traditional formation. We also don't know if "DOOOOOOM!" is the sound of an explosion, or a description of the humans' fate, or if GIR is in one of the ships.

Very cool. It seems like an RTS-lite kind of design, which Kotaku guessed as a Pikmin-Rampage mash-up. I don't buy the Rampage connection, but I think it'll be an arcade-style game with many different levels with their own objectives to complete. Not really a traditional RTS, but still sounds promising.

The translated page says a Summer 2008 release, which obviously is for Japan. I just checked IGN which has a December 31st, 2008 WiiWare release in Japan, so... I think it'll be a while before we see it in the Americas.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't know the Sam and Max compilation thing was dated already.

I'll be picking that up then.

Rotam on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

In the US.

According to Wiki, we're getting it just four days later. No date for the Australians, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

In the US.

According to Wiki, we're getting it just four days later. No date for the Australians, though.

An HM game isn't out until it is in my hands, or at the very least on store shelves. :P

Besides, it was a Magical Melody joke.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If we are talking first party games, the Mario Baseball game is out soon, could be quite good if you like baseball.

LewieP on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SNK Arcade Classics comes out this week, for those of us SNK fans.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    SNK Arcade Classics comes out this week, for those of us SNK fans.

Bah, I was just about to mention that. Anyway, according to Play Asia
    The sixteen games included in the package are: Art of Fighting, Baseball Stars 2, Burning Fight, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters '94, King of the Monsters, Last Resort, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Samurai Shodown, Sengoku, Shock Troopers, Super Sidekicks 3, Top Hunter and World Heroes
    That doesn't sound too bad for $30.

Also, MLB Power Pros 2008 drops on the 28th. I never got around to playing the first one, although I really want to. From what I've heard and read the first one was really good.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alright, I've done a substantial update to the OP but there still might be more too add :P

Plus i've added a section for 2009 wii games. Nintendo games aren't included on this list because this thread is about 3rd party only.

Guek on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Glad to see it's not just me looking forwards to De Blob.
    Space Invaders RTS

Come again?

sige1lu2.jpg

sige2ya7.jpg

More here

Oh my God yes.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    Alright, I've done a substantial update to the OP but there still might be more too add :P

Plus i've added a section for 2009 wii games. Nintendo games aren't included on this list because this thread is about 3rd party only.

The Crystal Bearers in '09? Really? For some reason I doubt it'll be that soon, if at all.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Sam and Max Season 1 and Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People. Long live the point and click adventure!

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TheBosZ wrote: »
    Personally, I'm really looking forward to the Sam and Max Season 1 and Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People. Long live the point and click adventure!

You're my kind of peoples.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That video on the front page sold me on Deadly Creatures.

It seems like one of the more original games of the generation.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guek wrote: »

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play by Tiburon and EA - August 26, 2008

If you're anything like me and you were expecting some bitchin motion control golf action back when the wii launch, you were likely sorely disappointed with what Tiger Woods 07 had to offer. Thankfully, this new version looks to deliver on a lot of our golfing hopes. With much better controls, tuned up visuals, online play, new modes (annoying ball battle action, HOOOO!), this iteration might end up satisfying those of us looking for the perfect drive.
    Definitely interested in this one. I haven't really enjoyed a golf game since Links on the Oxbox. I've been itching for a decent one to take its place. Maybe this will fit the bill.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Why Lucasarts hasn't approached Nintendo with a SCUMMVM for Wii towards VC distribution of old adventures is a mistery. Am I the only one who thinks it's a no-brainer? Even the 480i display is perfect for it.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    TheBosZTheBosZ Wut? Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    NoelVeiga wrote: »

Why Lucasarts hasn't approached Nintendo with a SCUMMVM for Wii towards VC distribution of old adventures is a mistery. Am I the only one who thinks it's a no-brainer? Even the 480i display is perfect for it.

There's some home-brew solutions for it, but it would be very nice to have something official. MmMMmmmm..... The Dig... Maniac Mansion... Monkey Islands.... ... ... um... excuse, me I have to go now.

TheBosZ on
    3DS Friend Code - 4468-1117-6397
    Let me know if you add me, and I'll add you back. (I'm also on the Roster)
  • Options
    edited July 2008

There's some home-brew solutions for it, but it would be very nice to have something official. MmMMmmmm..... The Dig... Maniac Mansion... Monkey Islands.... ... ... um... excuse, me I have to go now.

You couldn't fit The Dig on the internal flash memory (though I'd buy it on a disc, anyway), but the older ones, from Maniac Mansion to Fate of Atlantis (no speech version) would be just fine as VC games.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm pretty sure you can compress the shit of The Dig.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Remember Myst? That game that pioneered CD gaming? It's on the DS.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    Remember Myst? That game that pioneered CD gaming? It's on the DS.

Have you played the DS version? It's near unplayable and every transition and animation has been left off.

Anyway, The Dig's dialogue might be compressed down to VC size, but the game used pre-recorded videos extensively. Even with today's compression techniques, and given the Wii's hardware limitation, I don't think you can turn The Dig into a 20 meg, or even 50 meg download.

DS cartridges, for reference, go all the way up to 128 megs, which is way above what Nintendo is letting devs put on VC and WiiWare.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can you imagine doing the turtle puzzle with a touch screen?

Hurgargalbalargh.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not going to lie Monster Lab looks fucking awesome. Day 1 for me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I see Monster Lab as a darker, bleaker, yet still kid-friendly enough alternative to Pokemon battling.

If they can sell Monster Lab as the darker bleaker Pokemon battler, I think they have a win here.

Basically, don't sell it from the RPG or Wii-play perspective, but approach it as a much better version of Pokemon Battle Tournament.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited July 2008

But.. what is it? Do we even know enough about it yet for it be a Day 1? Did I miss something?

All I know is that you create monsters, or something. I've yet to see what you do with said-created-monsters, which, at least for me, would be a major selling point.

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

But.. what is it? Do we even know enough about it yet for it be a Day 1? Did I miss something?

All I know is that you create monsters, or something. I've yet to see what you do with said-created-monsters, which, at least for me, would be a major selling point.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36577.html
    E3 developer walkthrough.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Goddamnit titmouse, I just watched that on the first page and hurried back to edit my post.

It looks interesting, but I'll be waiting for more detailed impressions/reviews.

Cyrixd on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I see a monster creation, and RPG damage. That's all I need...

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Arde wrote: »

I see Monster Lab as a darker, bleaker, yet still kid-friendly enough alternative to Pokemon battling.

If they can sell Monster Lab as the darker bleaker Pokemon battler, I think they have a win here.

Basically, don't sell it from the RPG or Wii-play perspective, but approach it as a much better version of Pokemon Battle Tournament.

Images of Pokemon trainers drinking on a bar and getting into a fight come to mind. Paint the Line with Pokemon, a little. I don't know if that's what you're thinking about Monster Lab, but I'm suddenly interested on the concept of a scarred Pikacu reuniting with his trainer, who feels guilty for getting him in the last fight he ever had...

Heh.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy shit monster lab looks fantastic. If they market this right they're on a huge winner.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Where The Fuck Is "The Conduit"

The Conduit will save the Wii. The Wii doesn't need saving, but that doesn't matter, The Conduit will still save it.

Edit: nevermind, its in the '09 section. But still, it will save the system, like FFXIII saved the PS3. Wait, no, the opposite of that. Yeah.

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • Options
    ShikaoShikao Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure about "Skate It". I mean, no cars or pedestrians? Skating in the aftermath of a disaster? Seems really unrealistic. I like my sport games realistic. But enough about my opinions.

Shikao on
  • Options
    Paper PlatesPaper Plates Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh man, de Blob. So that's where it ended up. Seen a trailer for that a long time ago, got excited, and then never seen anything about it again.

Paper Plates on
    67o7eh0.jpg
  • Options
    Nicodemus0Nicodemus0 Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    DS cartridges, for reference, go all the way up to 128 megs, which is way above what Nintendo is letting devs put on VC and WiiWare.

The newer cartridges go up to 256 megs now.
    IGN wrote:
    ASH is a technically ambitious title for the DS and was the first to utilize the two gigabit cartridge.

Source

Edit

Nicodemus0 on