As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Onboard audio + windows vista + core 2 duo = fail

GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently built a shiny new PC.

It's beautiful. Runs all my games flawlessly. But there's one nagging problem:

Audio.

To save $60 or so I kept the onboard audio on my Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45

No matter what the application, I get little sound stutters. Just little bursts of sound, not unlike what you hear when you plug in powered speakers to a sound card. Not even a second's worth of sound, just little glitches that I can hear and that drive me mad.

For a few apps I can fix this problem. Example: The Sims 2. If I set the Sims 2 process affinity to only one core, the stutter vanishes.

But this same trick won't work for other programs - iTunes, for example.

I've updated all SoundMax and motherboard drivers. My Vista 64 is fully updated.

Questions:

a) Anyone know a fix?
b) I'm not totally adverse to the idea of spending maybe <$100 on a dedicated sound card. BUT! I absolutely do not want to do this unless I'm sure it would fix the issue. Would it? Also, I have no open PCI slots, only PCIe.

GameHat on

• Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Really strange, are you sure the drivers are okay? I have almost the exact same thing, but with a P5Q instead of a P5Q-E. Not a single problem here, it sounds great.

Raere on
    Raere.png