As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Because the last shaman thread was stupid.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zython wrote: »
    khain wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Hold up on the spell haste. Paladins, albeit Retribution Paladins, have a talent that increases ranged, melee, and casting speeds by 1/2/3%. While this is not nearly as wonderful as Grace of Air Totem, it doesn't make Shaman the only class with a spell haste buff.

Imp Moonkin Aura has that same effect.

Wrath of Air stacks with the haste aura.

Imp Moonkin Aura and Swift Retribution are in the Percentage Increase Haste (all) category while Wrath of Air is in the Spell Haste category and I believe is unique.

That is correct.
    Which is why I posted that in the first place. ;)

forty on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Isn't it better to just stack intellect though as a resto shaman, as opposed to worrying about mana regen (I ask embarrassingly)?

I've seen other shaman running around with massive mana pools and they swear by it. True, they're big time 25 man raiders, and I'm just some 10 man schmuck part timer so it's probably not that much of an issue with regards to what stats I concentrate on, but all the fights I've come across, I don't really have mana issues.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Intellect is good for pretty much every healer, but in particular for Shamans and Paladins because you don't have spirit to worry about. The reason for that is that replenishment (and also Mana Tide Totem) scales directly with your maximum mana. So, get as much of it as possible, I guess.

However, if you're running 10mans and you don't have anyone who provides replenishment, all I can say is get recruiting. Replenishment is pretty much the best thing ever for a caster.

reVerse on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So question on healing. I'm leveling a shaman alt with 3 other people so I am the healer of the group (btw shaman healing is waaaay funner than paladin healing). We usually 4 man every instance so I was wondering which water totem should I be using: mana or healing totem?

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So question on healing. I'm leveling a shaman alt with 3 other people so I am the healer of the group (btw shaman healing is waaaay funner than paladin healing). We usually 4 man every instance so I was wondering which water totem should I be using: mana or healing totem?

Probably mana totem. Your guys probably aren't taking enough AE damage in old instances to make group healing really necessary. If you have other mana users, they'll appreciate it as well.

captaink on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Massive totem changes are massive. That's really going to be a huge PvP buff, or at least I expect it to be.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Could somebody post the totem changes for those of us behind work filters?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Makershot wrote: »

This is very welcomed as more than half my key bindings are for totems right now. While I will still probably keep them all key bound, in the event that I need to change one or two on the fly, I am happy I will be able to push one button and drop 4 totems.
    Blizzard wrote:
    There comes a time in all shaman’s lives when they must learn to harness the power of nature and wield powerful totems. As they grow in power, so do the opportunities to use these instruments of healing, protection, and destruction. In the upcoming content patch, Call of the Crusade, the shaman will be able to quickly place totems of each element, aiding them in managing these powerful focuses of nature.

We wanted to provide some insight regarding the upcoming shaman-specific interface addition, the Totem Bar. Shaman will be able to utilize this new bar to manage their fire, earth, water, and air totems in a more accessible and convenient way. This bar will appear on the left-hand side above the standard toolbar, similar to warrior stances or druid forms. The bar contains space for four totems of the player’s choice, one of each element. Clicking the respective button will drop that totem. To the right of the four totems is a button for Totemic Call, which we have renamed Call of Earth. To the left of the four totems is a new ability named Call of Fire which will drop all four totems on the bar at once. The mana cost is the same as if the shaman dropped all four of the totems one at a time. However, it takes but a single global cooldown.

Questing shaman will be able to quickly move their totems of choice forward, while a shaman in an instance, Arena, or Battleground will be able to replace their totems if they have to move or if the totems are destroyed.

Shamans will also be able to customize their bar to set Call of Fire to drop less than four totems if they choose. Access to this functionality is made available at the same level as Call of Earth (currently level 30.) At higher levels, Shaman will gain two additional spells, Call of Air and Call of Water. These function exactly the same as Call of Fire, essentially giving the shaman three different sets of totems that can be placed at once. New key bindings will also be made available for all of these slots.

As with all new content under testing, we want to caution players that, as a new part of the interface, there may be additional changes during the period of the PTR until the release of the Call of the Crusade content patch. We look forward to constructive feedback once it is available for testing.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    edit: cause it doesn't need to be posted twice

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow...

I've played a shaman for a long time, and I think this is the first real buff we've gotten that hasn't seemed like a halfway compromise.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So happy with the changes, I lose so much dps over the course of a raid spending the first 2 or 3 secons of every fight dropping totems.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Neat. I wonder if it will completely replace the need for totem add-ons or if it will be missing some much needed functionality like some of the other add-ons that Blizzard has implemented into the default UI. At least the Call of X abilities will be useful, no matter what.

forty on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    dang

almost makes me want to play again

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    holy god yesssssssssssssssss

Senshi on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, that's pretty sweet!

Dissociater on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Little Jim wrote: »
    dang

Then you should see the preliminary resto changes.
    We have changed Healing Way to work better with HW and we have changed Improved Water Shield to also work with CH. We also dropped the cooldown of NS to 2 min so that you can HW more often. We'll try to make a post of all of the Resto changes soon.

[...] Improved Water Shield procs will not consume Water Shield charges. The tooltip says something like "as if you had consumed an orb.

Nice for mana. Now let's see a little more on the mechanics side.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gork wrote: »
    Little Jim wrote: »
    dang

Then you should see the preliminary resto changes.
    We have changed Healing Way to work better with HW and we have changed Improved Water Shield to also work with CH. We also dropped the cooldown of NS to 2 min so that you can HW more often. We'll try to make a post of all of the Resto changes soon.

[...] Improved Water Shield procs will not consume Water Shield charges. The tooltip says something like "as if you had consumed an orb.

Nice for mana. Now let's see a little more on the mechanics side.

omg

motherfuckers!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wonder what the Healing Way change is going to be. Changing it from a 3 stack to a 1 stack took a lot of the clunkiness out of the design. Maybe they'll change it to some sort of damage shield or HoT effect since one of the biggest problems with Healing Way and HW is overhealing?

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    maybe they'll not put it on useless healing wave

alas, alas

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    # Tidal Waves: No longer reduces the cast time of Lesser Healing Wave by 30%. It instead now provides +25% critical strike chance to Lesser Healing Wave, along with the previous 30% cast time benefit to Healing Wave.

Not sure if I like that...

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Toldo wrote: »
    # Tidal Waves: No longer reduces the cast time of Lesser Healing Wave by 30%. It instead now provides +25% critical strike chance to Lesser Healing Wave, along with the previous 30% cast time benefit to Healing Wave.

You like it because it means that more Lesser Healing Waves are going to critically hit. Which, if you Improved Water Shield Talent, means you are getting 498 ( assuming improved shields otherwise it is about 415 I think ) back on that cast and it acts just like a Paladin's Illumination talent. Stack crit, keep Water Shield up and spam Lesser Healing Wave till you are blue in the face. In fact as a 60% chance, it is better than a Paladins 60%, which will be 30% come patch, chance with Flash of Light. Which is hilarious because it seems the tooltip reads 'as if you had consumed a Water Shield' so you don't even lose charges when it happens to proc and thus we become Paladin healers.

lifeincognito on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toldo wrote: »

You like it because it means that more Lesser Healing Waves are going to critically hit. Which, if you Improved Water Shield Talent, means you are getting 498 ( assuming improved shields otherwise it is about 415 I think ) back on that cast and it acts just like a Paladin's Illumination talent. Stack crit, keep Water Shield up and spam Lesser Healing Wave till you are blue in the face. In fact as a 60% chance, it is better than a Paladins 60%, which will be 30% come patch, chance with Flash of Light. Which is hilarious because it seems the tooltip reads 'as if you had consumed a Water Shield' so you don't even lose charges when it happens to proc and thus we become Paladin healers.

The problem is that HW will only be a few tenths of seconds slower than LHW, and a non-crit HW hits for more than a crit LHW in my experience, and I have the LHW glyph and no Healing Way, so that divide will become even greater.

I DO see it useful for mana intensive fights (Vezax, for example) or fights where all healing is single-target (...Vezax again), but if the shaman is assigned to be a tank healer, then it's HW all the way, which I suppose isn't a bad thing. However, it does smell like a band-aid to the whole Tidal Waves not lowering the GCD thing.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Patch notes on MMO-champion say Healing Way is going to change to a 8/16/25% innate boost to HW. I don't see myself casting LHW very often after that change goes live, especially with all the MP5 I have on my gear that's getting boosted 25%.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So THAT was their big change for Enhancement? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh, and since Rogues use axes now, can we please use swords?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The ghost wolf change seems like the biggest thing for pvp. At least for elemental it seems like a huge boon. Being able to get distance once you land a snare. Especially against DK's. Not sure how big of a change it is for enhancement.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As far as healing efficiency goes, what is the break down?

EarthShield
    Chainheal (if you can get 2-3 people)
    Riptide
    Healing Wave
    Lesser Healing Wave

Does that sound about right?

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Where all the slow weapons at?

Seriously, damn.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    So THAT was their big change for Enhancement? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh, and since Rogues use axes now, can we please use swords?

Shamans having a ready supply of slow off-hand weapons? BLASPHEMY!

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Orc shaman should be happy now too.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    As far as healing efficiency goes, what is the break down?

EarthShield
    Chainheal (if you can get 2-3 people)
    Riptide
    Healing Wave
    Lesser Healing Wave

Does that sound about right?

yes except reverse healing wave and lesser healing wave if you have glyph of LHW (and are casting on the tank)

i think

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The riptide change just seems fairly unimaginative to me (although riptide itself is fairly bland). Increasing the crit on lhw's? The 11 point talent in the resto tree already does something very similar (yes ok, I know there are differences) what with it increasing chances to crit.

Didn't they say that shaman caster pvp, is a bit like being a turrent, and they want to move away from that playstyle? Getting rid of the haste effect on lhw seems to be the opposite to what is desired.

The base health increase seems a bit small. I thought our health pool problems, were more due to do with our health, after our gear was put on, but then I suppose it's unrealistic to expect them to go back and put more stamina on our gear.

Nature's guardian change? I don't know if that's any good to be honest, I've not thought about it deeply enough.

With the exception of the GW change, doesn't seem to be alot with regards to pvp.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What gems should I socket for Elemental PvP? Right now I'm thinking either resi/sta, spell/sta or spell/pen.

edit: Also, another question: how good is the "1.5 seconds off Grounding Totem cooldown" set bonus? As in, should I go for it or for two +50 resi bonuses?

edit2: I'm hearing spell pen would be stupid.

edit3: Fuck it, I'm just going resi/sta 'til I got shitloads of resi, then rethink the strategy.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Didn't they say that shaman caster pvp, is a bit like being a turrent, and they want to move away from that playstyle? Getting rid of the haste effect on lhw seems to be the opposite to what is desired.
    Uh, they're talking about elemental shamans. Last I checked, resto shamans aren't nuking people too often in PvP.

Caster = Elemental
    Healer = Resto
    What gems should I socket for Elemental PvP? Right now I'm thinking either resi/sta, spell/sta or spell/pen.

edit: Also, another question: how good is the "1.5 seconds off Grounding Totem cooldown" set bonus? As in, should I go for it or for two +50 resi bonuses?

edit3: Fuck it, I'm just going resi/sta 'til I got shitloads of resi, then rethink the strategy.
    Isn't there a big ass spell penetration enchant (to cloak or something) if you need spell pen?

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In battlegrounds the reduced Grounding Totem is not that useful unless you find yourself trying to 1v1 a caster class often. It is more for arena PvP where you are going to need to use your Earth Shock / Wind Shock to prevent heals and the Grounding Totem to absorb incoming spells. At least in my experience it seems to work this way because with five people wail on me in WSG, I don't generally live long enough for the cool down to reset.

lifeincognito on
  • Options
    RetricRetric Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You really only need 75 spell pen for arenas and suchlike. More than that doesn't do too much. You can easily get that from the 35 cloak enchant and 2 gems. That's if you feel you need it.

Retric on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't look at the new resistance formula right now, but I thought even just 80 resistance gave something like 10 or 15% average spell damage reduction now. Negating that resistance would be a pretty big boost to DPS compared to anything else you could get with that enchant/gems. Of course it's irrelevant whenever your targets don't have resistance, so it's definitely a toss-up deciding how often you feel it's going to benefit you.

forty on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    t9 set bonuses released. http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=67249.0

* Shaman T9 Enhancement 2P Bonus (Lava Lash) (Class: Shaman) -- Decreases the cooldown on your Lava Lash ability by 2 sec.
    * Shaman T9 Enhancment 4P Bonus (Stormstrike) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the critical strike chance of your Stormstrike ability by 5%.
    * Shaman T9 Restoration 2P Bonus (Riptide) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the healing done by your Riptide spell by 20%.
    * Shaman T9 Restoration 4P Bonus (Chain Heal) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the critical strike chance of your Chain Heal spell by 5%.
    * Shaman T9 Elemental 2P Bonus (Flame Shock) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the duration of your Flame Shock spell by 61 sec.
    * Shaman T9 Elemental 4P Bonus (Lava Burst) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the damage done by your Lava Burst spell by 0.021 sec.

Don't know about you resto's and ele's out there, but as an enh shaman I look forward to continuing to wear my t8 set until t10 when maybe we get some decent bonuses.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, those bonuses suuuuuuuuuck

(they aren't that bad alone, but can't compete with the awesome T8 bonuses)

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    t9 set bonuses released. http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=67249.0

* Shaman T9 Enhancement 2P Bonus (Lava Lash) (Class: Shaman) -- Decreases the cooldown on your Lava Lash ability by 2 sec.
    * Shaman T9 Enhancment 4P Bonus (Stormstrike) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the critical strike chance of your Stormstrike ability by 5%.
    * Shaman T9 Restoration 2P Bonus (Riptide) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the healing done by your Riptide spell by 20%.
    * Shaman T9 Restoration 4P Bonus (Chain Heal) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the critical strike chance of your Chain Heal spell by 5%.
    * Shaman T9 Elemental 2P Bonus (Flame Shock) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the duration of your Flame Shock spell by 61 sec.
    * Shaman T9 Elemental 4P Bonus (Lava Burst) (Class: Shaman) -- Increases the damage done by your Lava Burst spell by 0.021 sec.

Don't know about you resto's and ele's out there, but as an enh shaman I look forward to continuing to wear my t8 set until t10 when maybe we get some decent bonuses.

i'm pretty sure these are placeholders / fakes, unless we're entering the dimension where time = damage :)

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
This discussion has been closed.