As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How Many 360s have YOU gone through?

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While we're here, what causes the white pixel problem on Wii? My Wii got that, but I sent it back, Nintendo got it back fast and haven't had a problem since.

Is that also overheating?

Yeah it is normally due to graphics card overheating.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    stuff

It just dissipates, it's got almost a foot of space or so.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    Reasons a 360 will break

1, its on
    2, its off
    3, its horizontal
    4, its vertical
    5, not enough ventilation
    6, too much ventilation

7, it exists
    8, it doesn't exist

Is this Schroedinger's 360?

I'll get back to you on that as soon as I'm done shoving this cat inside the case...
    No, not really.

subedii on
  • Options
    DysonDyson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1 RROD, which was repaired by MS. And currently a failing disc drive for the last year or so, but it doesn't scratch the discs and works...except for like once every 2 hrs.

Dyson on
    GSP+11.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kaseius wrote: »
    stuff

That should be plenty. The air shooting out at a wall that's about a foot away without walls/ceilings on either side should be plenty of room to dissipate the heat and allow the system to intake room-temp air.

Unfortunately, I just think that you, Kaseius, ended up with an unlucky bad one that is susceptible to failure under its own internal heat under the best conditions.

slash000 on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Four.

1) Launch unit, Core. Disc drive died.
    2) Dead on arrival.
    3) GPU exploded.
    4) Was in a house fire and RRoD'd. Replaced for free at Gamestop through an awesome manager.
    5) Arcade with HDMI, and new chipsets. Working fine, for now. Was made in 02/08, which I think helps it not suck ass.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Kaseius wrote: »
    stuff

That should be plenty. The air shooting out at a wall that's about a foot away without walls/ceilings on either side should be plenty of room to dissipate the heat and allow the system to intake room-temp air.

Unfortunately, I just think that you, Kaseius, ended up with an unlucky bad one that is susceptible to failure under its own internal heat under the best conditions.

Oh yeah, I've had a lot of terrible luck with electronics in general. Failing hard drives, 360s, whatever. No clue why, but it's kind of ironic considering my love for all things electronic.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My first one, which I got at the end of 2006 died in the middle of 2007.

After I sent it in, Microsoft sent me a brand new 360 manufactured about two weeks before it arrived at my house and I haven't had any problems with it since.

It's pretty great.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, my HDD is going strong after all this. So is my launch controller, aside from being worn completely smooth, like a thousand year old stone.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mine just died, I went to check the Marketplace after the Microsoft Press Conference and bam, three red lights.

My box is in the mail, here's hoping I get a new console.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Still on my first, after a year and a half.

Endaro on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh man.

Mine should be two, not one. I nearly forgot.

When I bought it, I got it home and it was dead right out of the box. Problem was with the hard drive though; if I took the hard drive out, it worked perfectly. Brought it back to the place of purchase though, and they traded it out.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm on my third, had it for about a year but I'm hoping it dies soon so I can get sent a newer model (it's still a launch model).

Zenitram on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I'm on my third, had it for about a year but I'm hoping it dies soon so I can get sent a newer model (it's still a launch model).

What happens when you send it in, and the one you get back is either another old model, or the same one but poorly repaired? D:

slash000 on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I'm on my third one and wouldn't believe my story about the second one that was foreign 360 that wouldn't play American DvDs.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    bloodrbloodr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm on my 4th. 1st one drive died. 2nd RRoDed. 3rd video artifacts, excessive read errors

My 4th one is over a year old and the only problem is that it gives read errors unless you let the 360 warm up for about 15 minutes. I'm not going to complain since it's an otherwise good system.

bloodr on
    b1oodrose.png
    b1oodrose.png
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I may have gotten my second RRoD.

So is it unusual for the system to RRoD, then an hour or two later turn on just fine? And am I correct in assuming that despite it seeming fine right now, the fact that I got a RRoD a few hours ago means this will persist until I get it repaired?

Last time I got this, it was buggered for good and I got it replaced right away. At the moment, like I said, it seems fine. Red ringed, but now it boots up okay.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First unit, Euro launch box, worked fine for 21 months until it suddenly red-ringed playing Bioshock one day.

Got a replacement the very next morning, an HDMI-less unit, and I'm still using that one 10 months later.

RROD has only caused me just 12 hours of 360 down-time in 31 months.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm currently between my second and third console. I've tried to keep it fairly well ventilated, cutting a huge hole in the back of my entertainment center to stick the back end through, but one side has about an inch and a half clearance from the PS3, so I'm not sure if that's enough. I don't really have the space to move it around though, so I'm considering getting an extra fan.

I know obviously one that plugs in via the power socket is right out, but are there any concerns about the ones that use the USB ports?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My brother's has broken twice now, just as Halo 3 and GTA 4 came out. He plays it endlessly, so it's not an extra use thing. It's just got an evil streak.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm on my first 360, but I've been through 3 ps2s. D:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm on my first 360, but I've been through 3 ps2s. D:

C O N S O L E P A R A D O X

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    043 wrote: »
    Also, my HDD is going strong after all this. So is my launch controller, aside from being worn completely smooth, like a thousand year old stone.

In the arcade? How so? I've been thinking about getting one, but am a bit iffy about the no HD thing..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As bad as it is... at least Microsoft repairs them for free... unlike other console manufacturers of the past.

I'm still currently on my first 360, had it for over a year. I get some disc read errors every now and then (which are annoying and have caused me some lost gametime, but I've accepted that disc based consoles have this issue). That's about it.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On my second, and its acting retarded, so I'm expecting it to go any day now. Luckilly my GFs is newer, and would suffice for the time mine would be gone.

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm on my 3rd 360. The first one was a launch 360 I bought used so I wasn't terribly surprised. The second one didn't RROD, it did some terrible thing with the video output. Third one is working fine, Arcada unit with HDMI output.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm on my 3rd. The 2nd is still alive and kicking, I sold it to get an Elite.

1st was a launch console that was like a rock until some dumbass convinced me to use one of those intercoolers. That particular dumbass is on his 4th or 5th.

I'm still fairly convinced that 90% of the issues result from negligence.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PlacerPlacer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On my second, the first one was a euro launch box which was replaced in just under a week , i guess i'll give this one to my brother and get myself a 60Gb HDMI model.

Placer on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got one in November 06. The GPU fried and I did the blanket trick to revive it, but it finally crapped out.

I had a warranty with Toys R Us and got a free new one. This one was hilarious. The AV port wasnt attached inside, so it was just flopping around inside the xbox case.

Returned it, and got another one which has been working fine so far, but tends to sound like it's powered by a Harrier rather than electrical current.

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Huh. I got the RRoD earlier today, just flipped my 360 and played an hour of Civ.

:shrug:

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is my third 360. Had no problems, but my dumb fucking friend got a huge scratch on the side. :x

Gibb on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Huh. I got the RRoD earlier today, just flipped my 360 and played an hour of Civ.

:shrug:

Lots of 360s have long periods of time between the first RRoD and the final one, your console is on its way out.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to be on my third 360 after I send in my currently broken one.

Both times I (luckily?) haven't gotten the RROD but my DVD-Drive has decided to stop spinning.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Still on my first.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My friend has a launch 360, never failed, his house is always hot as hell since there isn't any AC, and it's always filled with smoke, and cat hair floating everywhere.

It's like Super360.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    I'm getting my 360 this week (used) so I'm kind of anxious about this whole RROD deal .. I had one 360 a year ago, played it alot, it didn't stand and I don't think it was too hot either, and I never experienced any technical errors with it.

Just make sure the warranty seal behind the faceplate is intact.

And I don't mean to be a twat, but I think those of you who are "convinced" that the majority of cases are caused be negligence are just.... well... wrong. Something is CLEARLY flawed with the core design of the console.

I just bought my first used on eBay. '06 MFR date and so far so good. Been through nightly, brutal 5ish-hour Dead Rising sessions. I am almost hoping that it does RRoD so I can send it in before the warranty is up in Jan '09 and I get a new year-long warranty.

Tzen on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On my second but as a side note I'm on my 5th PS2 right now

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On my third xbox now. MS replaced all of them quickly and easily. Just don't do it over the phone, do it over the website.
    The customer reps are brain dead.

Smashism on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm on my first Xbox, it's about 6 months old. Non-Falcon elite. It's on a small stand table next to my desk, so it's well ventilated.

My oXbox broke twice, though (yay thompson drives), my launch PS2's disc drive went kaput, yet I was retard careful with both of them. It was really weird, bad luck I guess.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've had an Elite since they were released, and I've yet to have any problems with my 360.

Other than my first Atari 7800 and one or two third-party accessories, I still have all my original hardware.

Avenrosh on