As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Astonishing X-Men

• Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, but [spoiler:a7ed3a8119]how often do mutants have almost the EXACT same mutation as their parents?

I mean look at the Summers brothers. They're SIBLINGS and they don't even have the same powers.[/spoiler:a7ed3a8119]
    [spoiler:a7ed3a8119]they're all energy projectors. magneto's children are all field manipulators. if you look at what they do in broad terms instead of specifics, there's a pattern.

except with the guthries.[/spoiler:a7ed3a8119]

Conditional_Axe on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2006
    Wolverine as a child was fun and all, but Astonishing #16 wasted way too many pages with him prancing around when we have two major plot arcs that are moving slower than a glacier. Especially considering how little time Whedon has left on his run.

Great art, great dialogue, but Whedon's poor plot pacing has been this book's Achilles Heel. Astonishing #15 barely had any plot progression, but at least #16 was a sharp improvement. Hopefully, #17 blows the door wide open.

Terrorbyte on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, but [spoiler:fbcd112ffe]how often do mutants have almost the EXACT same mutation as their parents?

I mean look at the Summers brothers. They're SIBLINGS and they don't even have the same powers.[/spoiler:fbcd112ffe]

Most of the examples are from alternate futures:

Rachel Summers, Nocturne, Nate Grey, Polaris, Spider-Girl and a whole bunch of heroes from MC2, Beak's kids. There are plenty of examples.

Don't forget my favorite, Siryn.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited August 2006
    kdrudy wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, but [spoiler:8c133393e8]how often do mutants have almost the EXACT same mutation as their parents?

I mean look at the Summers brothers. They're SIBLINGS and they don't even have the same powers.[/spoiler:8c133393e8]

Rachel Summers, Nocturne, Nate Grey, Polaris, Spider-Girl and a whole bunch of heroes from MC2, Beak's kids. There are plenty of examples.

Yeah, but there's no hard and fast rule about this. I'm sure Joe Quesada doesn't require his writers to provide him with a full mutant DNA sequence when they introduce mutant siblings and children. It's really up to the writer and, more often than not, they'll build upon parental traits to craft the characters. But, I'm sure there are the mutant equivalents of two blonde parents giving birth to a redhead or something. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch come to mind.

Terrorbyte on
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    kdrudy wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, but [spoiler:872dd26af9]how often do mutants have almost the EXACT same mutation as their parents?

I mean look at the Summers brothers. They're SIBLINGS and they don't even have the same powers.[/spoiler:872dd26af9]

Yeah, but there's no hard and fast rule about this. I'm sure Joe Quesada doesn't require his writers to provide him with a full mutant DNA sequence when they introduce mutant siblings and children. It's really up to the writer and, more often than not, they'll build upon parental traits to craft the characters. But, I'm sure there are the mutant equivalents of two blonde parents giving birth to a redhead or something. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch come to mind.
    as i said in my spoilered comment above, they all manipulate some sort of field or another, be it magnetism, reality, time, etc. just like cyclops, havok, and vulcan all project different types of energy, but still basically have the same powers.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    as i said in my spoilered comment above, they all manipulate some sort of field or another, be it magnetism, reality, time, etc.

Eh, that's kind of a stretch, but whatever. Trying to make sense of mutant genetic traits through hereditary means in a comic book seems like a fruitless enterprise to me. Everything will ultimately come down to conjecture and leaps of logic.

But, in a no-prize sense of things, you make a really strong point.

Terrorbyte on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mutants are really likely to have mutant children...the only human child of mutants I can think of are Mystique and Sabretooth's kid Creed. Beyond that it's all chance. Mystique, Nightcrawler and Nocturne all have a similar look, but their powers are completely different. But then, Nightcrawler supposedly got his teleportation from daddy.

Scooter on
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Nightcrawler supposedly got his teleportation from daddy.

THAT STORY DOES NOT EXIST!

[pushes the emergency Chuck Austen Retcon button]

Terrorbyte on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    According to wikipedia, Mystique was orignally going to be Nightcrawler's father.

Yeah, that's right.

august on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    I assume we'll find out though.

Ya think?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Geebs wrote:
    I assume we'll find out though.

Ya think?

I don't need any lip, son

DJ Eebs on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Man, you left yourself wide open.

On the topic of Wolverine's claws, if the grandfather in question was his mother's father, why couldn't he have inherited the mutation that way? (I haven't read Origin, I've just checked up on the plot through Wikipedia.)

Also, I'm trying to track the X-Books properly. Please tell me if this is correct: the comic that was New X-Men when Grant Morrison started his famous run is now Astonishing X-Men. If not, how do the books track together? Is Astonishing an all-new series or a renamed series?

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2006
    Astonishing is a new series. It follows a lot of the story elements from New X-Men though.

DJ Eebs on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Astonishing is all new.

AND ASTONISHING!!!

I've seen that the fuckers kept the New X-Men name after Morrison's run, but they all look like poop.

august on
    edited August 2006
    august wrote:
    Astonishing is all new.

AND ASTONISHING!!!

I've seen that the fuckers kept the New X-Men name after Morrison's run, but they all look like poop.
    New X-Men is actually pretty good, and has been ever since it became the new New Mutants book. Except for House of M, during which it was terrible.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    They seem to enjoy killing off their characters more than any other Marvel book I've read. Including Exiles. At this rate I don't know how much longer they'll have a book. :P

Scooter on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, I've been picking up New X-Men lately too and aside from the strange decision to transfer the title from one book to another, it's pretty much exactly what you'd want in a book about young mutants at Xavier's.

It seems like it has the kinds of stories I always wanted Generation X to have: good solid stories based around the school instead of changing direction every three months.

DMAC on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    But man did Generation X have a better cast.

Actually, New X-Men used to have a pretty good cast but they're mostly dead now. I mean they killed off or otherwise got rid of most of the people I really liked.

I should really stop complaining about that though.

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2006
    But man did Generation X have a better cast.

Actually, New X-Men used to have a pretty good cast but they're mostly dead now. I mean they killed off or otherwise got rid of most of the people I really liked.

I should really stop complaining about that though.
    Julian and Santo are growing on me. And they should do more with Cessily. She was a terrible fit with the rest of the Hellions, but on this team, she stands in the background and looks hot and shiny.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    I was sad they killed off the Guthrie kid. I was hoping in a few years the rest would have powers and they could have an entire X-Team of Guthries.

Scooter on
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I was sad they killed off the Guthrie kid. I was hoping in a few years the rest would have powers and they could have an entire X-Team of Guthries.
    I thought the youngest Guthrie got sent home? Aero, right? I don't think she died.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I thought the youngest Guthrie got sent home? Aero, right? I don't think she died.

I actually just looked up Husk on Wikipedia cause I was wondering if it was her that was depowered, I totally forgot about Aero.

I was talking about Icarus though.

Scooter on
    edited August 2006
    Wait, did Husk get depowered?

Because that'd be sad.

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2006
    Wait, did Husk get depowered?

Because that'd be sad.
    No, Paige still has her powers, as far as I know. I know I've seen her after HoM: The Day After, where it was pretty unclear.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    No, she's just not on any of the X-Teams right now. Apparently her offical status is still "Archangel's jailbait".

Scooter on
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Apparently her offical status is still "Archangel's jailbait".
    Please don't remind me.

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Apparently her offical status is still "Archangel's jailbait".
    Please don't remind me.
    It's not really that creepy until you compare her boyfriend to her baby brother.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    It's kind of weird how you guys are talking about everything but Astonishing X-Men in this thread. Mutant family trees are interesting and all, but it'd be cool if we could start talking about the book again.

Terrorbyte on
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    It's kind of weird how you guys are talking about everything but Astonishing X-Men in this thread. Mutant family trees are interesting and all, but it'd be cool if we could start talking about the book again.
    Yeahbuhwhat?

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Yeahbuhwhat?

Hahaha. Such a perfect moment, especially with Cassaday's facial expression on her.

Terrorbyte on
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Yeahbuhwhat?

Hahaha. Such a perfect moment, especially with Cassaday's facial expression on her.
    I concur.

I think every few pages, I had a new favorite moment of the book.

"Amateurs."

"The moose ate part of my leg, but it seems to have grown back."

*fist through mirror*

Conditional_Axe on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    No, she's just not on any of the X-Teams right now. Apparently her offical status is still "Archangel's jailbait".
    "Jailbait"?

Okay, I know comic book characters don't age in step with the real world, but she was maybe as young as 16 when Generation X started. That was 11 years ago.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Yeahbuhwhat?

I concur.

I think every few pages, I had a new favorite moment of the book.

"Amateurs."

"The moose ate part of my leg, but it seems to have grown back."

*fist through mirror*
    "I hate you, Lord! I hate you!"

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    "Jailbait"?

Okay, I know comic book characters don't age in step with the real world, but she was maybe as young as 16 when Generation X started. That was 11 years ago.
    she's been dated as 19 somewhere. her and rahne, so they're the demarcation point for figuring out how old everyone is.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    "Jailbait"?

she's been dated as 19 somewhere. her and rahne, so they're the demarcation point for figuring out how old everyone is.
    Fair enough, but maybe someone should tell Scooter that 19 isn't jailbait.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    "Jailbait"?

Yea, 11 years in real world time. X-Men have been around for like 45 years, and they've aged what, maybe 10 years?

From the way things were at the time, Husk still seemed 15-16 at the time, they hooked the two up, then someone realized "oh shit that's not legal" so they aged her 3 years in a month. Yes, she's officially 19 now, but she certainly didn't seem 19 at the time.

Scooter on
  • RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    "Jailbait"?

Yea, 11 years in real world time. X-Men have been around for like 45 years, and they've aged what, maybe 10 years?

From the way things were at the time, Husk still seemed 15-16 at the time, they hooked the two up, then someone realized "oh shit that's not legal" so they aged her 3 years in a month. Yes, she's officially 19 now, but she certainly didn't seem 19 at the time.

Yup, that's exactly what happened. Which is why we just throw that whole thing on the 'did not happen' shelf. It's lodged in between Sins Past and Nightcrawler's family history.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yup, that's exactly what happened. Which is why we just throw that whole thing on the 'did not happen' shelf. It's lodged in between Sins Past and Nightcrawler's family history.

I think MIT proved that Nightcrawlers family history is the reason there is so much evil in the world...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited August 2006
    Sentry wrote:

I think MIT proved that Nightcrawlers family history is the reason there is so much evil in the world...
    What is he again, the son of Destiny fathered by Mystique in a male body?

...you know, I wonder about that. If she can shapeshift on a cellular level, how come she can't copy superhuman abilities?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2006
    Sentry wrote:

What is he again, the son of Destiny fathered by Mystique in a male body?

...you know, I wonder about that. If she can shapeshift on a cellular level, how come she can't copy superhuman abilities?

No. He's the son of the devil. Yes, in Marvel the Devil is actually an ancient mutant. Angels were also ancient mutants.

Scooter on