As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Astonishing X-Men

• Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    [spoiler:2acf303876]So has Marvel just forgotten about Ernst then?

Isn't she supposed to be Cassandra Nova?[/spoiler:2acf303876]

[spoiler:2acf303876]Well, there are two Emmas, so it's entirely possible that there are two Cassandras...

It's probably going to turn out to be an illusion anyway?[/spoiler:2acf303876]

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    [spoiler:3b2c7cb2ff]So has Marvel just forgotten about Ernst then?

Isn't she supposed to be Cassandra Nova?[/spoiler:3b2c7cb2ff]

[spoiler:3b2c7cb2ff]Well, there are two Emmas, so it's entirely possible that there are two Cassandras...

It's probably going to turn out to be an illusion anyway?[/spoiler:3b2c7cb2ff]
    [spoiler:3b2c7cb2ff]Yeah, it's probably all some big psychic breakdown on Emma's part, although that is so hella lame that I'm hoping it isn't the case.[/spoiler:3b2c7cb2ff]

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    [spoiler:f41740650f]Yeah, it's probably all some big psychic breakdown on Emma's part, although that is so hella lame that I'm hoping it isn't the case.[/spoiler:f41740650f]

[spoiler:f41740650f]You know, this is just about the only case where I'd consider "it was all a dream" to be better than the alternative of Emma being evil again. That is the dumbest thing ever. It's such a waste of a great character.[/spoiler:f41740650f]

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    [spoiler:4bcaf1fa9a]Yeah, it's probably all some big psychic breakdown on Emma's part, although that is so hella lame that I'm hoping it isn't the case.[/spoiler:4bcaf1fa9a]

[spoiler:4bcaf1fa9a]You know, this is just about the only case where I'd consider "it was all a dream" to be better than the alternative of Emma being evil again. That is the dumbest thing ever. It's such a waste of a great character.[/spoiler:4bcaf1fa9a]

[spoiler:4bcaf1fa9a] I doubt EXTREMLEY that Emma is going to remain evil after this. I mean, she was the one who put Scott "out", only for him to not really be out. Hell, I think Cyclops was her sole contengincy plan, knowing that her mind was going batshit crazy.

Oh, and wasn't Cassandra Nova a slight reality warper as well? Since part of her mind was buried in Emma, I can see how she could amplify/manipulate Emma's power's to make solid thought constructs. It would explain Cassandra making a "White Queen" version of her as well, just in case the "real" Emma betray's them, which, she probably will[/spoiler:4bcaf1fa9a]

Transporter on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Finally got around to buying "Gifted" and "Dangerous". Anyone have a vague inkling when the third TPB is due out?

Also, "Yeahbutwhat?" makes me laugh every time I think about that scene.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Forar wrote:
    Finally got around to buying "Gifted" and "Dangerous". Anyone have a vague inkling when the third TPB is due out?

Also, "Yeahbutwhat?" makes me laugh every time I think about that scene.

I really think Joss Whedon is the best dialogue writer ever.

Mai-Kero on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    [spoiler:4cea6d7536]Yeah, it's probably all some big psychic breakdown on Emma's part, although that is so hella lame that I'm hoping it isn't the case.[/spoiler:4cea6d7536]

[spoiler:4cea6d7536]You know, this is just about the only case where I'd consider "it was all a dream" to be better than the alternative of Emma being evil again. That is the dumbest thing ever. It's such a waste of a great character.[/spoiler:4cea6d7536]

[spoiler:4cea6d7536] I doubt EXTREMLEY that Emma is going to remain evil after this. I mean, she was the one who put Scott "out", only for him to not really be out. Hell, I think Cyclops was her sole contengincy plan, knowing that her mind was going batshit crazy.

Oh, and wasn't Cassandra Nova a slight reality warper as well? Since part of her mind was buried in Emma, I can see how she could amplify/manipulate Emma's power's to make solid thought constructs. It would explain Cassandra making a "White Queen" version of her as well, just in case the "real" Emma betray's them, which, she probably will[/spoiler:4cea6d7536]
    Doesn't Civil War take place after the events of Astonishing?

...in which case we already know how Emma turns out.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think the timing is pretty muddy because of miscommunication. It might take place afterwards

Scooter on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    It "walks between the raindrops of regular continuity" meaning that they're probably going to wait untill this arc ends and figure it out from there.

DJ Eebs on
    edited September 2006
    Well, what's the most recent issue number? Gifted and Dangerous are both 6 issues, so I guess I'll have to remain patient until they're up to issue 18 or beyond.

Forar on
  • TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I believe #17 was this week.

Edit: Looking through the Comics shipping Sept 20th thread confirms it. That or I need to work on my reading comprehension.

Tofenheimer on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:deb47f3d0a]Am I the only one who thinks that the real Emma is burried underground, and that now she is free from whatever psychic control she is under, but trapped?[/spoiler:deb47f3d0a]

I really, really don't want her to be dead/evil.

Regina Fong on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    [spoiler:cf85e252a4]Am I the only one who thinks that the real Emma is burried underground, and that now she is free from whatever psychic control she is under, but trapped?[/spoiler:cf85e252a4]

I really, really don't want her to be dead/evil.

[spoiler:cf85e252a4]Guys, she is on the cover for the next arc....[/spoiler:cf85e252a4]

Sars_Boy on
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Agreed.

Kitty: "Why do you insist on saying things I can't un-hear?"

Speaking of Kitty, has she always been this badass? I mean, yes, we all know about Whedon's obsession with young girls kicking ass aside (he even mentioned it in the Serenity commentary), has she ever laid a beating down like she does on [spoiler:3e02202731]Emma[/spoiler:3e02202731]?

I know Logan references her going all ninja on him in one issue, so maybe I just missed, oh, about a decade or more of good stuff, but what few X-Men comics I've read or picked up never really painted her in nearly as cool a light.

Forar on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Forar wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Agreed.

Kitty: "Why do you insist on saying things I can't un-hear?"

Speaking of Kitty, has she always been this badass? I mean, yes, we all know about Whedon's obsession with young girls kicking ass aside (he even mentioned it in the Serenity commentary), has she ever laid a beating down like she does on [spoiler:88480a9ef0]Emma[/spoiler:88480a9ef0]?

I know Logan references her going all ninja on him in one issue, so maybe I just missed, oh, about a decade or more of good stuff, but what few X-Men comics I've read or picked up never really painted her in nearly as cool a light.

She has kicked ass before, but most writers ignore her or treat her like a lost little waif.. until they need someone to disable an electrical something or other. Whedon has something of an obsession with her though, and I think being able to write her as he wanted was one of the things that lured him to X-Men. It might have already been said in this thread, but Whedon has said that Kitty was his inspiration for Buffy,

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    When she was possessed by Ogun, she inherited all of his martial arts abilities. Afterwards, she switched codenames from Sprite to Shadowcat.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited September 2006
    She had a miniseries recently where she went to Japan and played ninja for a while to rescue Lockheed, or something. Still, it is kind of impossible to look at her and see her as an ass kicker.

Scooter on
    edited September 2006
    PS: spoilered who got the beating.

It just occured to me that something in the last issue or two might not be common knowledge.

But I've been quoted. Sentry, if you'd mind editing that, it'd be appreciated. Unless I'm being overly cautious, in which case it's not a big deal.

Forar on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    It kind of sucks that this storyline is being padded out for a trade (more so the beginning of this arc than the most recent issue). It wouldn't be so bad if this were a monthly, but its bimonthly schedule makes everything feel like its moving at a glacial pace for me. Whedon's plotting style is also a bit ... drawn out. You can definitely tell that he's writing this like he would a season of Buffy or Angel ... lots of disparate threads being woven into a big ol' finale. I just want the big reveals to get here already!

:cry:

Terrorbyte on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    It kind of sucks that this storyline is being padded out for a trade (more so the beginning of this arc than the most recent issue). It wouldn't be so bad if this were a monthly, but its bimonthly schedule makes everything feel like its moving at a glacial pace for me. Whedon's plotting style is also a bit ... drawn out. You can definitely tell that he's writing this like he would a season of Buffy or Angel ... lots of disparate threads being woven into a big ol' finale. I just want the big reveals to get here already!

Eventually Astonishing is becoming a monthly, isn't it?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited September 2006
    Who's idea was it to introduce Lockheed?

Because that was probably the best decision ever.

Mai-Kero on
    edited September 2006
    According to Wikipedia, the third TPB is called "Torn", and supposedly was created in August of 2006. I haven't seen it on any store shelves, but www.indigo.ca seems to believe it will exist. However, there aren't any reviews, ratings, or even a physical description. Which tells me it's probably not out, but may be due out soon.

Hooray!

Forar on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Forar wrote:
    According to Wikipedia, the third TPB is called "Torn", and supposedly was created in August of 2006. I haven't seen it on any store shelves, but www.indigo.ca seems to believe it will exist. However, there aren't any reviews, ratings, or even a physical description. Which tells me it's probably not out, but may be due out soon.

Hooray!

The Torn arc isn't complete yet. Still one issue to go.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
    edited September 2006
    Forar wrote:

Hooray!

The Torn arc isn't complete yet. Still one issue to go.
    Wikipedia wrong? What madness this?

:P

It probably WAS scheduled to come out in August, but I think there've been delays.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:

I have no problem with the pacing in this arc. So much shit happened last issue it wasn't even funny.

august on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:6fb72f8108] I'm actually wondering what They're going to do with Beast. Ataacking wolverine and going feral for a few hours is going to mess him with bad. Oh and it's all Mastermind, quote me on that[/spoiler:6fb72f8108]

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
    edited September 2006
    [spoiler:6762d1d92b] I'm actually wondering what They're going to do with Beast. Ataacking wolverine and going feral for a few hours is going to mess him with bad. Oh and it's all Mastermind, quote me on that[/spoiler:6762d1d92b]
    [spoiler:6762d1d92b]If it's Mastermind I'm gonna kill Joss Whedon.[/spoiler:6762d1d92b]

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm not trying to flame or anything so don't take it that way .. but .. every issue I like Wheadon's X-Men less and less. It sometimes feels like Wheadon imagining Buffy charecters in an X-Men comic rather than going anywhere new. Anybody else agree, disagree .. ?

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
    edited September 2006
    I'm not trying to flame or anything so don't take it that way .. but .. every issue I like Wheadon's X-Men less and less. It sometimes feels like Wheadon imagining Buffy charecters in an X-Men comic rather than going anywhere new. Anybody else agree, disagree .. ?

Disagree. It's the best thing marvel has going for it right now. Each issue I like it more and more.

Mai-Kero on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

Disagree. It's the best thing marvel has going for it right now. Each issue I like it more and more.
    I take it you don't read Runaways or Daredevil or X-Factor?

(I think it is the fourth best Marvel book.)

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2006
    I disliked his first few arcs, but as I said earlier, the last issue redeemed everything for me.

Scooter on
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

I take it you don't read Runaways or Daredevil or X-Factor?

(I think it is the fourth best Marvel book.)

I've read all of those.

Astonishing 1
    X-factor 2
    Runaways 3

Mai-Kero on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm with ya on this one. But instead of Buffy, I keep seeing firefly characters stretched into the X-men family.
    I guess its just Wheadon doing his thing, but it irritates me.

muninn on
    edited September 2006
    I have not seen Buffy. I have seen Firefly. I have no idea what the fuck you people are smoking. Please, explain.

august on
    edited September 2006
    The only comparison that I'm seeing is Shadowcat being a complete badass, which is what happens every time Whedon has a young woman to write.

Mai-Kero on
    edited September 2006
    My first impression, which has rather stuck, was that Ord was a Buffy demon reject.

Danger was also way too similar to when Cerebro came to life and tried to kill them. Next is the Blackbird?

Scooter on
    edited September 2006
    Whedon even admitted that Danger was pretty dumb.

I thought Ord was hilarious.

"What are you looking at? Shit, is that dragon behind me again?"

Mai-Kero on
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The only comparison that I'm seeing is Shadowcat being a complete badass, which is what happens every time Whedon has a young woman to write.

Yeah.

But Kitty's been a badass off and on for like years and years and years, you know? In fact, I wouldn't be surpriesd if Wheadon was influnced by that stuff.

august on
    edited September 2006
    There's no A in Joss Whedon.

Kitty is a character that has the capability to be a badass of the highest order, but some writers are just too stupid to use her right.

Mai-Kero on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    There's no A in Joss Whedon.

Kitty is a character that has the capability to be a badass of the highest order, but some writers are just too stupid to use her right.

She is a trained ninja, you know.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031