As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Music With a Wild West Feel

TurretTurret Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I need help finding a pretty specific form of music and I don't know where else to turn, as I can't describe it well enough for search engines. Basically I am looking for more songs similar to the two songs I have on a playlist I've been repeating for about 48 hours. These songs are The Bravery's "Bad Sun (Moon Version)" and Muse's "Knights of Cydonia"

I would be extremely grateful if anybody knows even one more song like this.

Why does it have to be so awesome, yet so elusive D:

Turret on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pistolero - Juno Reactor

Ignore the crappy video the guy made and just appreciate the song. I did a quick looksee and you can get the album it's on from Amazon, or get the song by itself from Amazon.mp3.

DarkPrimus on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Murder by Death is exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt2Sf2-o94g

Also, they're a lot more obscure than Murder by Death, but Across Tundras is a good fit as well. I believe they have a myspace page.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arcade Fire's My Body is a Cage

Set to "Once upon a time in the west"

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The extended intro to that muse song with the twangy guitars is stylistically very similar to the surf instrumental music that was produced in the 1960s. I'm thinking like Pipeline by the Ventures or maybe Walk Don't Run Misirlou by Dick Dale Boss by the Rumblers Point Panic by Surfaris that sort of thing.

Of course, nothing at all will ever beat Ennio Morricone's Masterpiece but I heard that if you look you can find A bunch of longhairs from Seattle covering it

DrFrylock on
    edited July 2008
    I just did some googling and there is some kind of cd called "The spaghetti epic"

It was really hard for me to even find any of the songs though.

I found one bands myspace.

Listen to the one called Haikara The West in their sample songs.

Dont know if that is what you are looking for.

JebusUD on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the album "the age of the understatement" by The Last Shadow Puppets?

the title track especially gives off a "western" vibe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGV8xCkpXjE

my mate claims their music feels more james bond, but then again he is a tool and not to be trusted

Fletcher on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A new album by The Panics, called Cruel Guards.

It gets less Western as it goes along but it's still a good listen.

Iriah on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fletcher wrote: »
    the album "the age of the understatement" by The Last Shadow Puppets?

the title track especially gives off a "western" vibe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGV8xCkpXjE

my mate claims their music feels more james bond, but then again he is a tool and not to be trusted
    Uh, Last Shadow Puppets are very Britrock, I didn't catch any spaghetti while listening to it. <_<>_>

there's some Western/country on Cowboy Bebop, but I can't remember any titles. If you're after modern country I can recommend Drive-by Truckers, although they're probably not epic enough for you.

Aldo on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Uh, Last Shadow Puppets are very Britrock, I didn't catch any spaghetti while listening to it. <_<>_>

True, but the dude didn't say he was looking for spaghetti western music, he said he was looking for modern stuff thats, uhh, cowboy-sounding.

Yeah the shadow puppets are definitely very british, but that track sounds like something I could ride a horse into the sunset to.

Fletcher on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fletcher wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

True, but the dude didn't say he was looking for spaghetti western music, he said he was looking for modern stuff thats, uhh, cowboy-sounding.

Yeah the shadow puppets are definitely very british, but that track sounds like something I could ride a horse into the sunset to.

Ah, going by that definition I'm going to recommend Golden Earring.

Aldo on
  • NoffNoff Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Murder by Death is exactly what you're looking for.

This. In Bocca al Lupo is the album that track is from, and it is amazing. Also, has a nice sea shanty as well!

Noff on
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Check out the Raconteur's "Carolina Drama" or "Switch and the Spur" off of Consolers of the Lonely.

Reckless on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think you might like Man or Astroman. It's very similar to the surf rock, a little sci-fi-ish, but definitely has a bit of the western feel.

Also you might like some psychobilly, especially Reverend Horton Heat. Check out their compilation Holy Roller, especially the first two tracks (Big Sky and Baddest of the Bad).

I think you'd also like Devotchka's song The Enemy Guns off their album How It Ends. The song is also featured on the Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack, though on there it's called First Push.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anything Murder By Death. I love their most recent album to death, Spring Break 1899 is one of the best songs I've ever heard, but yeah, everything they do is pretty much golden.

Amphetamine on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know what YOU need? http://www.amazon.com/Few-Guitars-More-Various-Artists/dp/B00008K9Z8

My favorite is The Hellbenders.

Ew. I just read the title of your thread and assumed. After listening to a couple of those tracks on itunes this does not seem similar at all. But still. For A Few Guitars More.

Do it.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TurretTurret Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Holy poop, everyone. Awesome reccomendations :^:

Turret on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Ok, how do we do this, lets see, url goes here and...

Two Gallants - Steady Rollin

I would also post Las Cruces Jail by Two Gallants except I can't find any decent copies of it. I'd also post Summer Day by them but it has the n word in it and also all the recordings on youtube look shit. Just go and buy their album.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited July 2008
    JebusUD on
  • Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try DeVotchKa - 'How It Ends'.

Ebz123 on
  • Myself980Myself980 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gonna have to recommend tracking down some Outlaws, which might be easier now that they've been on Rock Band (or if you have an 8 track player). Just stick to the earlier ones. Their cover of Riders In The Sky is excellent, and Hurry Sundown has a great sound to it.

Myself980 on
    Bad command or cheese. Abort/Retry/French?