As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help choosing a laptop

UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm heading off to college next month. My family has promised to purchase me a shiny new laptop computer. However, they're only able to spend $500-600 or so on one. I just want something that will allow me to do my homework and access basic internet shit (forums, email, messangers, etc.) I don't care if it takes it half an hour to load a YouTube video, just that it performs basic functions at a speed that will not drive me to suicide.

Also, I know absolutely nothing of computer brands, costs, etc. but I know I won't be getting anything great. Suggestions?

Dogs.jpg
Umaro on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I personally have an HP, it's been great. I hear alot of good things about Dell lately (used to hear terrible things about them though.) The EEE pc might also be an option for you, as it's in your price range, and capable of doing everything you described, but also highly portable (if the small screen doesn't bother you.)

Another good place to look is Notebook Review.com, their forum has a specific "recommend me a notebook" section, with very specific questions and they make alot of great recommendations.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My acer's been very good to me over the last few years. The only issue I have with it is the crappy (even for a laptop) sound and the obscene amount of heat it generates. But both of those problems are solved fairly easy.

Quid on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If your budget is tight sometimes you can get a good sale and/or factory refurbished computer. I know newegg and tigerdirect have some good prices for parts, not sure what they are like with regard to laptops. I've never had any trouble with factory refurbished desktops but I haven't gotten a factory refurbished laptop.

I've never owned an apple but someone around these forums keeps harping that they some sweet deal for students involving a free printer and isomething when you buy a laptop.

Dman on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For what you need it to do, almost every manufacturer offers baseline models in your price range. Dell may be a good choice for you--their baseline Inspirion model is $499. For $100 more they give you a little more juice--that's the one you'd probably want, as the $499 model is really gimped.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would look into the "netbook" line. For instance, the Asus EEE.
    Cheap, tiny, some have great battery, and all at the cost of some performance.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

For college? Really? When it's four in the morning and you have three more pages to write for your Russian Lit term paper, do you really want to be typing on that little toy computer?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

For college? Really? When it's four in the morning and you have three more pages to write for your Russian Lit term paper, do you really want to be typing on that little toy computer?

For college? Really? When you will probably be able to use a computer the most, do you really want to be able to bring it everywhere?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260032%204021&bop=And&Order=PRICE

OP, the above is a list of all laptops for $500-$700. Take a look at what you can get.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For what you need it to do, almost every manufacturer offers baseline models in your price range. Dell may be a good choice for you--their baseline Inspirion model is $499. For $100 more they give you a little more juice--that's the one you'd probably want, as the $499 model is really gimped.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I'd second this. I got an Inspiron 1501 early last year (before they were phased out) and it's been working well. It was relatively cheap, had good specs and Vista actually works fine on it (probably due to the hardware working well with the OS, quite by accident).

EDIT: I don't know about the new baseline Inspiron, but the 1501 isn't too heavy. You may want to look into getting a 9-cell rather than a 6-cell battery if you'll be using it away from a power socket fairly often, but this would add some weight and cost. The 6-cell generally lasts 3/3.5 hours, the 9-cell about 5 hours.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I won't recommend a particular model for you, but instead give a few pointers:

Don't get anything bigger than a 15in screen if you plan on taking this thing to class. Unless your on a football scholarship carrying a giant notebook isn't fun. (this shouldnt be too big of a deal with your price range)

Make sure you cough up some money for a decent case for your laptop. Portability means this thing is gonna take every pothole, run, and set of stairs you do. Most retail stores can get you a bag that fits snug on your laptop and provides good padding to keep it from being damaged. This way you can also get a backpack that has a slot specificly for your laptop or you can opt for a seperate bag for books.

I cannot in good conscience recommend Acer or Dell laptops as their support is poor for more than 50% of their customers. Long delays, bad repairs, and outsourced tech support.

If you are going off to a university most of them have a purchase plan for Microsoft Office, so if you prefer this to the freeware OpenOffice. You can pick it up on cheap from the university.

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Opps, I meant to say that except for the outsourcing (which means you have some odd e-mails) I've been fairly impressed with Dell's support. There's some very nice touches, like having a diagnostic suite as part of the boot loader that's very full featured. And the engineer they sent out to fix my problem (faulty ram stick) came with everything on the offchance that he'd need to replace the mainboard/HDD etc.

Also, Inspiron's are big and bulky, I wouldn't get one for college, the XPS is nice and sleek, and the new studio's look very cool and fix my couple of minor niggles about the XPS design. As for laptop bag, don't get one of the single shoulder strap ones.

For college? Really? When you will probably be able to use a computer the most, do you really want to be able to bring it everywhere?

Don't forget that it's got a couple of USB slots, so you could easily plug in a keyboard, mouse and even external monitor at home. If gaming is not an issue, then I think it's a pretty sensible suggestion. I'd probably look more to something like the MSI Wind or the HP Mininote. But they're all usable.

Rook on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Eat_Fire wrote: »
    I cannot in good conscience recommend Acer or Dell laptops as their support is poor for more than 50% of their customers. Long delays, bad repairs, and outsourced tech support.

I can't speak for others' experiences, but I've had a good run with Dell support. I've contacted them three times - first two were minor issues within the first year and got resolved within a couple of days, and the third was a screwed-up HDD last month that got replaced within two days.

I suppose it depends on what kind of warranty you're willing to pay for and what problems (if any) you have, but that's just my two cents (the Australian dollar is close to equal with the US, so I can round it to two).

Cyvros on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Before buying a notebook with a 10 inch diagonal screen or smaller, you should really type on one for 10+ minutes. And type like you're taking notes or writing a paper (not like you're surfing the net). Hey if you can type on it then it might be a great fit for you; I get irritated with little shit, like the shift keys being too small.

Personally I need a keyboard deck with a 12"+ diagonal in order to touch type for extended periods of time. Also having a dvd drive or burner is quite handy, like if your friend wants to lend you a CD-ROM or DVD.

The "netbook" style PC is a nice supplement if you already have a full-fledged notebook (or desktop), but if it's your only machine I think it's lacking. You could certainly get a USB keyboard and mouse, but that compromises the portability, footprint and cost savings you might realize from a netbook.

I don't have any particular brand suggestions, but it should be noted that surveyed poor customer service experiences between most major notebook players are within a percentage point or 2 of one another. To get under 6 bills, try to find a notebook with an AMD Turion X2 chip.

Djeet on