As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My fellow Americans, I have conceded

cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
I'll be buying a PS3 next weekend, finally. I've always been late to the Sony party, but ended up loving it and kicking myself for not indulging earlier. This time, I'll be a little more prepared.

My question is, what version/SKU should I get? I want the original 60gb with hardware backwards compatibility for the plethora of PS2/PS1 games I own. However, are these more prone to overheating and breakdown than more recent versions? Or should I just get a 40gb and be done with it?

datnguyensig1.jpg
cctex823 on

Posts

  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cctex823 wrote: »
    I'll be buying a PS3 next weekend, finally. I've always been late to the Sony party, but ended up loving it and kicking myself for not indulging earlier. This time, I'll be a little more prepared.

    My question is, what version/SKU should I get? I want the original 60gb with hardware backwards compatibility for the plethora of PS2/PS1 games I own. However, are these more prone to overheating and breakdown than more recent versions? Or should I just get a 40gb and be done with it?

    what do you figure the extra 20 gigs will get you? you know you could do the research on this one pretty easy with google since i doubt anyone here has both the 60 and the 40 gig versions....

    Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The 40gigs do use less power. While you can't play PS2 games on it all PS3s will play PS1 games. The 40gigs will also be going on sales soon as this model is going to be discontinued in favor of an 80gig that does not support PS2 compatibility. Probably has something to do with Sony's new video store.

    Unless you're in a PAL territory I would recommend the current 80gig bundle that supports PS2 compatibility. It comes with Metal Gear Solid 4. The new 80gigs use the same amount of power as the 40gigs.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    cctex823 wrote: »
    I'll be buying a PS3 next weekend, finally. I've always been late to the Sony party, but ended up loving it and kicking myself for not indulging earlier. This time, I'll be a little more prepared.

    My question is, what version/SKU should I get? I want the original 60gb with hardware backwards compatibility for the plethora of PS2/PS1 games I own. However, are these more prone to overheating and breakdown than more recent versions? Or should I just get a 40gb and be done with it?

    what do you figure the extra 20 gigs will get you? you know you could do the research on this one pretty easy with google since i doubt anyone here has both the 60 and the 40 gig versions....

    It's not the extra 20gb that I'm worried about, that can be easily remedied. I'm more interested in the bc or lack there of with the 40gb.

    Sounds like the 80gb MGS4 bundle is what I'm looking for. Now finding it new @ retail is another thing.

    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cctex823 wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    cctex823 wrote: »
    I'll be buying a PS3 next weekend, finally. I've always been late to the Sony party, but ended up loving it and kicking myself for not indulging earlier. This time, I'll be a little more prepared.

    My question is, what version/SKU should I get? I want the original 60gb with hardware backwards compatibility for the plethora of PS2/PS1 games I own. However, are these more prone to overheating and breakdown than more recent versions? Or should I just get a 40gb and be done with it?

    what do you figure the extra 20 gigs will get you? you know you could do the research on this one pretty easy with google since i doubt anyone here has both the 60 and the 40 gig versions....

    It's not the extra 20gb that I'm worried about, that can be easily remedied. I'm more interested in the bc or lack there of with the 40gb.

    Sounds like the 80gb MGS4 bundle is what I'm looking for. Now finding it new @ retail is another thing.

    I'm kind of sad about the lack of bc on my PS3 but not heart broken. I don't have that many PS2 games anyway, my playstation game collection only goes into decent numbers with my PS1 games.

    How often do you play on the PS2 or have a large collection of PS2 games?

    There are some games I kind of regret not getting like Katamari and MGS 3. And alas I doubt I will be because of the lack of bc. If you expect to be using bc then get an 80GB PS3, otherwise don't bother.

    GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't look back. Once Little Big Planet comes out, you won't need these "other games" anymore, anyway.

    The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    buy used. deny Sony the profits.

    fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    cctex823 wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    cctex823 wrote: »
    I'll be buying a PS3 next weekend, finally. I've always been late to the Sony party, but ended up loving it and kicking myself for not indulging earlier. This time, I'll be a little more prepared.

    My question is, what version/SKU should I get? I want the original 60gb with hardware backwards compatibility for the plethora of PS2/PS1 games I own. However, are these more prone to overheating and breakdown than more recent versions? Or should I just get a 40gb and be done with it?

    what do you figure the extra 20 gigs will get you? you know you could do the research on this one pretty easy with google since i doubt anyone here has both the 60 and the 40 gig versions....

    It's not the extra 20gb that I'm worried about, that can be easily remedied. I'm more interested in the bc or lack there of with the 40gb.

    Sounds like the 80gb MGS4 bundle is what I'm looking for. Now finding it new @ retail is another thing.

    I'm kind of sad about the lack of bc on my PS3 but not heart broken. I don't have that many PS2 games anyway, my playstation game collection only goes into decent numbers with my PS1 games.

    How often do you play on the PS2 or have a large collection of PS2 games?

    There are some games I kind of regret not getting like Katamari and MGS 3. And alas I doubt I will be because of the lack of bc. If you expect to be using bc then get an 80GB PS3, otherwise don't bother.

    I've only got a handful of PS2 games, in which I'll probably sell the system if those games are compatible. And looking them up, it seems that they are.

    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    buy used. deny Sony the profits.

    o_O Where'd that come from?

    Anyway, the MGS4 probably is your best bet, if you can find it. They're moving away from BC altogether, so if it's an important feature to you, you should try to get it sooner rather than later

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Looks like Thursday or Friday I'll take the plunge. Especially now that many launch/early titles are becoming greatest hits ($30)!

    * Assassin's Creed
    * Call of Duty 3
    * The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    * Fight Night Round 3
    * Folklore
    * Motorstorm
    * Need for Speed: Carbon
    * Ninja Gaiden: Sigma
    * Rainbow Six: Vegas
    * Resistance: Fall of Man
    * Ridge Racer 7
    * Warhawk

    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    gamestop has mgs4 bunldes in stock on their website if you can't find one in a local store. I had a 40 gig that I returned in exchange for an MGS bundle. Unless you want BC (I did) and extra USB ports (whoopty doo) I would recommend the 40.

    Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    gamestop has mgs4 bunldes in stock on their website if you can't find one in a local store. I had a 40 gig that I returned in exchange for an MGS bundle. Unless you want BC (I did) and extra USB ports (whoopty doo) I would recommend the 40.

    Best Buy had 3 the other day. I don't think I'm going to have any issues finding one. Knowing my luck though, this will be the week they are going to phase in the "new" 80gb.

    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    buy used. deny Sony the profits.
    You realize Sony has taken huge losses from selling PS3's under cost? I can't tell you with a certainty if that's the case any longer, and I would advocate picking up a 60GB original system for full BC (unless you have the space and will to keep a PS2 around forever) used as well, but this is just foolish.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah, the best thing you could do if you wanted to flip sony the bird is to buy a PS3 then not buy a single game for it.

    both sony's and microsoft's business models depend heavily on high attach rates.

    Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah, the best thing you could do if you wanted to flip sony the bird is to buy a PS3 then not buy a single game for it.

    both sony's and microsoft's business models depend heavily on high attach rates.

    for instance.... buying the PS3 for its relatively cheep blu-ray player.

    Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cctex823 wrote: »
    Looks like Thursday or Friday I'll take the plunge. Especially now that many launch/early titles are becoming greatest hits ($30)!

    * Assassin's Creed
    * Call of Duty 3
    * The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    * Fight Night Round 3
    * Folklore
    * Motorstorm
    * Need for Speed: Carbon
    * Ninja Gaiden: Sigma
    * Rainbow Six: Vegas
    * Resistance: Fall of Man
    * Ridge Racer 7
    * Warhawk

    AC, COD3, and Motorstorm aren't worth it. TES4 should be bought on PC. But the other ones are OK I guess.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can get Assassin's Creed for $22 off Gamefly used. Purchases off gamefly come used with case and manual, are mostly in a great condition, and generally have free shipping.

    linky:
    http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=121435&t=0

    Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can get Assassin's Creed for $22 off Gamefly used. Purchases off gamefly come used with case and manual, are mostly in a great condition, and generally have free shipping.

    linky:
    http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=121435&t=0

    thats a waste of 22 dollars really...

    Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    You can get Assassin's Creed for $22 off Gamefly used. Purchases off gamefly come used with case and manual, are mostly in a great condition, and generally have free shipping.

    linky:
    http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=121435&t=0

    thats a waste of 22 dollars really...

    it's a pretty polarizing game, but i wouldn't call it a waste

    just like, something that you'd want to spend as little money as possible on in case it wasn't your cup of tea

    Dehumanized on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    You can get Assassin's Creed for $22 off Gamefly used. Purchases off gamefly come used with case and manual, are mostly in a great condition, and generally have free shipping.

    linky:
    http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=121435&t=0

    thats a waste of 22 dollars really...

    it's a pretty polarizing game, but i wouldn't call it a waste

    just like, something that you'd want to spend as little money as possible on in case it wasn't your cup of tea

    Pretty much. I bought it figuring I could at least have some So Bad It's Good fun. And it was pretty good for the first little bit, where I was just running around doing the Stab-Rinse-Repeat cycle on random guards.

    Then I tried to advance the storyline. Fuuuuuck that.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    These might be the only greatest hits I may plan on getting. Otherwise, I'll be spending plenty of time with MGS4.

    * Ninja Gaiden: Sigma
    * Resistance: Fall of Man
    * Ridge Racer 7
    * Warhawk

    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My brother and I will be getting a few of the Greatest hits. Assassins Creed was one we were waiting for. We're not really into used games that much, and while we enjoyed renting AC we didn't think it was worth $60.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While we're on the topic of PS3s and the purchasing of new ones...

    I've been considering getting one for about two months now. So that I can play a few of the PS2 games I had missed out on but got tastes of at friends' (like MGS2 and 3), and I really do want to play GTAIV. :( But I don't actually have a TV in my apartment. What I do have is a pretty sweet 22" monitor and a decent sound 2.1 sound system.

    Do I have a lot of options if I want to hook a ps3 up to a VGA and DVI capable monitor along with speakers that use a 3.5 mm headphone jack? (I have googled around for Ps3 to VGA cables, but haven't found a lot of information. Some 3rd party vendors, but I failed to find a solid review of them)

    And on an unrelated note... I did order the vDigi Wii->VGA cable. But it's not here yet. ugh, stupid Hong Kong shipping

    Arminas on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    buy used. deny Sony the profits.

    o_O Where'd that come from?

    Ignorance. He doesn't realize how much money Sony loses each time someone buys a PS3.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    buy used. deny Sony the profits.

    o_O Where'd that come from?

    Ignorance. He doesn't realize how much money Sony loses each time someone buys a PS3.

    Wouldn't Sony lose more money from him choosing to buy a used console ($0 going to Sony) versus having the money from a new console sale offsetting the loss on a new PS3?

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, let's do math.
    Sony makes say -$150 per console sold.
    Person A buys 1 console (Sony loses $150), sells it to Person B.
    Person A buys 1 console (Sony loses $150), Person B buys 1 console (Sony loses $150).

    Count how many times I wrote the words "Sony loses $150" in each sentence. Add them up. Multiply them by $150 to find the amount of money lost by Sony in each sentence. Come back once you've got your final answer and I'll tell you if you've figured it out right.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of PS3s and the purchasing of new ones...

    I've been considering getting one for about two months now. So that I can play a few of the PS2 games I had missed out on but got tastes of at friends' (like MGS2 and 3), and I really do want to play GTAIV. :( But I don't actually have a TV in my apartment. What I do have is a pretty sweet 22" monitor and a decent sound 2.1 sound system.

    Do I have a lot of options if I want to hook a ps3 up to a VGA and DVI capable monitor along with speakers that use a 3.5 mm headphone jack? (I have googled around for Ps3 to VGA cables, but haven't found a lot of information. Some 3rd party vendors, but I failed to find a solid review of them)
    HDMI to DVI cable will solve that problem. Then you can use the default composite cables that come with the system with a 3.5 adapter cable to plug them into speakers.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stay the fuck away from Assassin's Creed and COD3. In fact, if AC was free, it still wouldn't be worth it because it's a colossal waste of time, believe me - I beat the game. I wish I just punched myself in the junk for the length of the game rather than play it, it would have been a more enjoyable experience.

    DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The above is true, however I'm going to quadruple the recommendation to not even pretend to consider Assassin's Creed. It takes colossal effort to make a game about assassinating people the most droll, plodding, lifeless pile of empty to ever squirrel out of Jade Raymond's vagina.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just to be whiny and dickish, I'm going to say that everyone who hated Assassin's Creed has no soul and a tiny penis, and also that they smell bad and their mothers dress them funny.

    It's a love it or hate it game. Personally, I loved it, but it does demand that you make a lot of your own fun and the story is more Lost-ish than Lost. You should know right there if it's for you.

    Monger on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Monger wrote: »
    Just to be whiny and dickish, I'm going to say that everyone who hated Assassin's Creed has no soul and a tiny penis, and also that they smell bad and their mothers dress them funny.

    It's a love it or hate it game. Personally, I loved it, but it does demand that you make a lot of your own fun and the story is more Lost-ish than Lost. You should know right there if it's for you.

    yeah, how did you like the ending?

    original myst anyone?

    Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Just to be whiny and dickish, I'm going to say that everyone who hated Assassin's Creed has no soul and a tiny penis, and also that they smell bad and their mothers dress them funny.

    It's a love it or hate it game. Personally, I loved it, but it does demand that you make a lot of your own fun and the story is more Lost-ish than Lost. You should know right there if it's for you.

    yeah, how did you like the ending?

    original myst anyone?
    I liked it quite a bit. It had balls, like Half-Life 2's ending. It wasn't conclusive, but it also wasn't meant to be, and it works in context of the atmosphere of the story. Flawed or not, the game was damn narratively cohesive from start to finish.

    Monger on
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, got the 80GB yesterday @ Target. Metal Gear kicks ass. Now i've got a $50 gift card to bestbuy... what to get...

    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just remember Best Buy will price match to Amazon & Deep Discount. Just take a printout of the page in with you.

    Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cctex823 wrote: »
    Well, got the 80GB yesterday @ Target. Metal Gear kicks ass. Now i've got a $50 gift card to bestbuy... what to get...
    A subscription to the monthly rental program at your nearest HollywoodBuster. The first month of gamefly for 12.95 for 2 games at once is also not a bad deal. Rent a truckload of games, find out which you'd play enough to keep, and buy those. If you have a friend that's willing to come over and party spend the $50 on another dualshock 3 and rock out with some Fight Night Round 3/Stardust Co-Op, etc.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you guys know anything about importing?

    Since I'm saving up for a PS3, I'm wondering if i should import or not, seeing that play-asia sells them AUD$200 less than in store. However, will I run into any trouble with a NTSC-J console in a PAL region? Will it be compatible with my parent's HDTV? Will I be able to play online? Will I be able to connect to the PAL playstation store?

    Cheers if you could help.

    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This Assassin's Creed stuff is getting out of hand! I guess I just need to find a demo or something. I downloaded the Resistance demo, and thought it sucked ass. I wasn't impressed with the graphics, everything seemed a little cartoonish. The controls were uncomfortable (maybe because I was strictly 360 before) compared to the likes of TF2/HF2, COD4, Halo. But I'm getting totally immersed into MGS4. Now for some Blu-ray movies.

    cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The first level of Resistance is the worst level in the entire game. Yes the graphics are a bit flat, but the environments get significantly better as soon as you get out of the first handful of areas. I'm not sure if those are what's in the demo. The controls take a little getting used to but honestly the game is a worthy FPS, one that I even bothered to finish. As a multiplayer game it is poor, but the single player experience is worth your time.

    Also, do yourself a favor and pick up PixelJunk Eden. At only $10 it's a wonderful experience and supports local multiplayer as well.

    JAEF on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cctex823 wrote: »
    This Assassin's Creed stuff is getting out of hand! I guess I just need to find a demo or something. I downloaded the Resistance demo, and thought it sucked ass. I wasn't impressed with the graphics, everything seemed a little cartoonish. The controls were uncomfortable (maybe because I was strictly 360 before) compared to the likes of TF2/HF2, COD4, Halo. But I'm getting totally immersed into MGS4. Now for some Blu-ray movies.
    Far as I know, there is not and never will be an Assassin's Creed demo due to it being nonlinear. You're mostly going to have to feel it out based on your own tastes and watching people bitch at each other. I also hear the PS3 version has some minor framerate issues that may or may not bother you.

    Has no one mentioned Everyday Shooter, yet? Because Everyday Shooter is amazing.

    Monger on
Sign In or Register to comment.