As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I just perused the area showing what Video Cards are supported for the game, and I couldn't help but notice that the GeForce GTS 240 isn't supported, none of the GTS line in fact.

Think I found why I might be crashing... :(

Just because maybe someone can tell me if that isn't the problem or not.
    I use a gts 250 and have never crashed

Somehow this makes me feel worse :(...

What on earth could the problem be? It's not only MMOs I'll admit too, Just Cause 2 did worse than just crash and actually caused me to BSOD. Fallout: New Vegas tends to crash on me as well. On the other hand Metro 2033 never crashed, neither with Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

LOTRO crashed, this game crashed, WoW didn't... Aion didn't when I was in the beta. Champions Online didn't, Dragon Age/ Mass Effect 2 doesn't.

I'm just so confused :(

Not like my RAM/CPU is lacking either, I'm packing a Intel Core2 Quad Processor @ 2.66GHz and have 6 Gigs of memory in this thing.

Okay, if other games are doing it, and seem to be following a pattern of the Most graphic intensive/least optimized are the ones crashing, and the least instensive/most optimized aren't (or are at least having softer, more infrequent crashes) it sounds like an overheating issue. you should probably get the ok from whoever you need to, crack open your tower, and clean out your PC's innards (including your Power Supply, it can get dusty and overheat too,) at least before you start considering the possiblity that there's something wrong with the hardware itself.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How do I go about getting an invite to the group on Darkness Falls? My toon's name is Brainspike, he's a mental handblaster that looks up to Mr. Luthor.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well actually a lot of those I wouldn't call less intensive on the machine. Mass Effct 2/Dragon Age and Metro 2033 are good examples of very good looking games. I played all of those pumped up to max as well.

You do have a point about getting the dust out though.

Edit: I'll invite you, lemme hop on the game.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anybody from the villains league on for an invite? Character name is Magdelene.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have found a forum which is more horrific thatn the Gamefaqs forum, and it's called the DC Universe Online forum. What horrible people post there! :shock:

But among all the whining and horror, I did find a golden tip for the PS3 players (don't know if this has been mentioned on here) : if you press your bottom left and bottom right triggers at the same time (L2 + R2) you absorb all the orbs that are floating around. Really useful for The Vault and collecting those (?) symbols when you're a ranged attacker ;-)

Since the latest patch the game is rather fickly to start on the PS3... just to be sure, I always select "Switch Character", then press the PS-button to select Quit Game and then, when it has safely exited, I turn off the console. (because the last couple of times when I used Turn Of System from within the game it seems to freeze when I want to play it again, even when I did it from the Switch Character screen...

Is there a way that you can say that you only want to target enemies? Because I am pulling my hair out with my ranged attacks that the game considers barrels and crates far more important targets than people doing damage.

And is there also a magic button combination that makes the camera swivel around at what I am currently target locked at? Because most of the time I seem to be shooting to the left or right, but I don't know if it is a barrel or an enemy (and it's not easy to keep pressing L1, the fire button AND manipulate the right thumbstick...)

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I just perused the area showing what Video Cards are supported for the game, and I couldn't help but notice that the GeForce GTS 240 isn't supported, none of the GTS line in fact.

Think I found why I might be crashing... :(

Just because maybe someone can tell me if that isn't the problem or not.
    I use a gts 250 and have never crashed

Somehow this makes me feel worse :(...

What on earth could the problem be? It's not only MMOs I'll admit too, Just Cause 2 did worse than just crash and actually caused me to BSOD. Fallout: New Vegas tends to crash on me as well. On the other hand Metro 2033 never crashed, neither with Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

LOTRO crashed, this game crashed, WoW didn't... Aion didn't when I was in the beta. Champions Online didn't, Dragon Age/ Mass Effect 2 doesn't.

I'm just so confused :(

Not like my RAM/CPU is lacking either, I'm packing a Intel Core2 Quad Processor @ 2.66GHz and have 6 Gigs of memory in this thing.

Okay, if other games are doing it, and seem to be following a pattern of the Most graphic intensive/least optimized are the ones crashing, and the least instensive/most optimized aren't (or are at least having softer, more infrequent crashes) it sounds like an overheating issue. you should probably get the ok from whoever you need to, crack open your tower, and clean out your PC's innards (including your Power Supply, it can get dusty and overheat too,) at least before you start considering the possiblity that there's something wrong with the hardware itself.

Whelp... there wont be any opening up the tower. Apparently the roomie figures it's not been sitting there long enough to worry about it =/.

This is the same roomie who thinks popping a disc into a computer and being able to bypass someones login screen on Windows is 'hacking'.

Arthil on
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil- dumb question, but you have done the basics, like updating video drivers etc?

on an unrelated note, does anyone on the PC using a controller have an issue where the camera gets all out of whack? The past couple times i've been playing my toon gets shifted to the left side of the screen and its a bitch and a half to move since the camera is still centered in the screen, but the toon isn't.

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Maguano wrote: »
    Arthil- dumb question, but you have done the basics, like updating video drivers etc?

on an unrelated note, does anyone on the PC using a controller have an issue where the camera gets all out of whack? The past couple times i've been playing my toon gets shifted to the left side of the screen and its a bitch and a half to move since the camera is still centered in the screen, but the toon isn't.

Yes I've updated both the video and sound drivers. Only thing I've not tried is reformatting, or defragging the machine.

Well actually I've not tried turning off my firewall/anti-virus.

Or turning down the resolution... but fuck I don't want to have to do that, I got a nice 1920x1080 HD monitor here.

Arthil on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil, what exactly happens when it "crashes"?

Many people have a major problem with crashes in games, and can't figure it out because they're looking in the wrong place. Have you tried disabling the sound in those games and seeing if that effects anything?

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well... it just stops. Screen freezes and when I alt-tab I see that the crash report window has popped up.

The sounds usually keeps going as well.

Arthil on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't alt tab.

This game hates it most newer games do acutally.

Or run it in a window

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Run the game windowed. That should fix it.

At the very least, windowed mode stops alt tab crashes.

Edit: Goddamnit.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No no I mean I alt tab AFTER the game has obviously crashed.

Otherwise I just hit F11 whenever I'd normally need to alt tab. The game crashes whether I'm full-screen or windowed.

Arthil on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Running the game windowed and turning of Vsync has fixed the crashes for a friend of mine.

He used to not be able to even finish the tutorial, now he can play hours at a time without a problem.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ah sorry I read that as it crashes when you alt tab!

Vsync could possibly be the problem

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hm... I may have to try that. It wouldn't surprise me if the client is just fucked.

Arthil on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually ran into visual problems when i ran in windowed.

My desktop background would bleed through the game image sometimes. what the hell?

alright, so I had an idea the other night, and wanted to see how many people we could get to do this.

I call it the Multiple Man Project.

We all create new characters, with the EXACT same look, and same name (but with 1,2,3 etc. at the end).

Then we run around as a group doing quests and confusing the HELL out of people (especially fun on a PVP server if you rush into the opposing faction starting areas.)

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    If you do that, have one guy be bait with all the rest stealthed nearby.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    and as soon as he gets hit, everyone breaks stealth. BRILLIANT!

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil, the crashes in other games (especially the BSODs) sound like you might have a bad stick of ram in there screwing it all up. My last build had that problem. It might be worth your time to run memtest or have someone knowledgeable look at it. You'd be surprised how often even RAM from a good brand can have a bad stick or two.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We actually had someone come and look at the machine before, and according to them our problem was with the motherboard, not the RAM itself, which they replaced.

Course they could have been full of shit.

Also I looked up memtest... wha-what the hell kind of interface is that?

BUT also to update, going windowed and turning VSync off helped... but it didn't resolve the crashes. However it took over two and a half hours for one to occur.

Arthil on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So how do attacks work in this game? I watched some videos and I can't really tell if it's auto attack or left/right mouse button clicking for attacks.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's clicking the left and right mouse buttons for combos, y'know. Like Click click, HOLD HOLD HOLD, click. That kind of thing.

Can't just click the shit out of your mouse to get these right with the hold ones either, you'll mess up.

Arthil on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So does the Xbox controller have a good setup in the PC version of this game? It sounds like DCUO really benefits from a controller vs. KBAM.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not really to be honest, on the benefit thing. I thought I would LOVE to play it that way, but considering my own technical problems but also the fact that using a controller makes it fuck-all annoying to communicate with the chat, I decided to just go with KBAM.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Interesting.

So in the video I saw on youtube where the guy is playing as an archery character, he was left clicking to fire the arrows? And you have to aim with the reticle?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well the reticle helps you with targeting. However you can play just fine without it, depends on if you handle WASD mode on or not

Basically, without WASD mode you get the reticule, with it your attacks go wherever you turn via the movement keys.

Archery is really weird, it almost looks like it's mostly melee... which... which is -odd-. Also any set with ranged attacks uses the right button for those. Basically a ranged weapon user is a nightmare for a melee dude, cause all of their attacks are block breakers.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh.

So it's not like a 3rd person shooter then.

EDIT: I did not see body sliders in the videos of the character creator. Did they add those or are all Small, Medium, and Large characters the same proportions as everyone else that took that body type?

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Not really like a TPS. You auto-target onto stuff. It's more like a MMO version of a beat-em-up like Ultimate Alliance or something.

No body sliders, unfortunately.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Everyone who chooses a body type is the same proportions, yes. They actually have a sound reasoning with this, because the various costume styles in the creator, and then those unlocked in the game itself are actually ON your model rather then some kind of fancy texture, it would... well, they'd need to make everything fit on all possible combinations of proportions if they had sliders.

Arthil on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The arenas are such a terrible thing, everyone deciding to be damage and not working together to either be a roaming 4 player bunch or split into a 2 stay and protect while the other 2 go and fight type thing.

sidenote, what does the little skull mean on my bars, and what are the skulls referring to with some of the vendors at the upper level police stations?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well the skull next to your health and power bars means your flagged, which is a constant on a PvP servers.

On items from vendors, that is the PvP currency earned from Legends and Arena PvP.

Arthil on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright guys I'm going to put together a list here with as many people as I can see that I don't know have not been invited to the League of Arcadians. If I miss your name, PLEASE quote this post and add your name with a RED coloring.

ALSO! Everyone who is already in the League I'd appreciate it if you would add your names to a different part of said post, that I will create at the bottom. So that we know who is who, and such.

PAers Currently Not In League as far as I know:

The Cow King - Dr Payback
    TexiKen - USAgent
    Arcath - Hesperos
    MikeMcSomething - Quicks
    JimJimBinks - Observer
    jdarksun - Ballista
    Foefaller - Grey Knight & Ignatia & others yet to be determined
    Bad Karma - Red Rooster (rerolled, thanks)(Rerolled to what?) Still Red Rooster, just deleted the original and made a new one, won't be a habit.
    Hypertime - Hypertime I'm a nooooooooooooooooob
    PikaPuff - Wincest
    Morvidus - Morvidus

I abandoned my 2H Ice Giant, Ymir, in favor of my hand blasting sorcerer, Morvidus.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So did a couple duos tonight Thelon(sp? I suck at names). We did fine doing Grodd which was the daily. I was controller he was in healer. It was basically me tanking and feeding power to him as he kept me up as I chained my combos. The only boss that was close I would say was the first boss since he is cc immune. As are a couple of the normal gorillas. In general not that bad, felt pretty balanced for our damage to skills and healing. So we figure lets do another.

We start the Hive one. About 50% of the mobs are cc immune or cc only works about 10% of the time which basically turns me into a damage/power source and nothing else. We beat the first boss and a few big rooms but it was tough. Get to booster gold, ugh that fight since pretty much all of them are immune to cc but neural neutralizer which is a huge warm up and they stun made those fights a pain. 3 tries we finally get him down. So down to the queen. Once again a major boss with lots of adds. Ugh so not that great. First try at one point I went from half to dead so fast that he couldn't get a heal on me. Second try we got lucky and she only spawned the foragers which don't ground, stun, and spin with a knock down.

Basically want them to make controllers useful, but I got a great helm!

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually ran into visual problems when i ran in windowed.

My desktop background would bleed through the game image sometimes. what the hell?

alright, so I had an idea the other night, and wanted to see how many people we could get to do this.

I call it the Multiple Man Project.

We all create new characters, with the EXACT same look, and same name (but with 1,2,3 etc. at the end).

Then we run around as a group doing quests and confusing the HELL out of people (especially fun on a PVP server if you rush into the opposing faction starting areas.)

They should all wear blue jumpsuits and be named Gary.

ffaristocrat on
  • Options
    battledrillbattledrill Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok guys, I'm sure i want this but money is tight. I've realized people didn't get codes unless you bought the CE. So I have a couple of questions hopefully you guys can help me out with.

1. Is it better on the PS3 or PC? I'm leaning on PC because I can always rely on Ventrilo and maybe just buy a 360 wireless pad for playing it on there, rather than suffer through plugging a keyboard on the PS3.
    2. How close can I get to making a character just like Deathstroke/Deapool? I'm not sure how robust the character creation tool might be.
    3. Does it get repetitive as in boring? Or is it a more WOW like repetitive but always interesting?

Thanks yall!

battledrill on

edited January 2011
    You should be able to remake Deathstroke/Deadpool quite easily. In fact Deathstroke is one of the choices for the 'inspired by' choice in character creation.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You should be able to remake Deathstroke/Deadpool quite easily. In fact Deathstroke is one of the choices for the 'inspired by' choice in character creation.

Ah that sounds good. So would you recommend I buy a gamepad for the pc or should the keyboard and mouse be fine?

battledrill on

edited January 2011
    Keyboard and mouse work just fine for me. Admittedly the gamepad is fun, however... you run into a REALLY annoying problem.

Ya gotta set the thing down somewhere whenever you want to type, plus moving through the interface is quicker with the mouse.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Keyboard and mouse work just fine for me. Admittedly the gamepad is fun, however... you run into a REALLY annoying problem.

Ya gotta set the thing down somewhere whenever you want to type, plus moving through the interface is quicker with the mouse.

Cool. I'll just stick with the mouse and kb till my tax refund if any :) And I get a free month so I should be fine I guess.

battledrill on