As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The computer, she is dead.

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So two days ago I suddenly got typical overheating symptoms when playing Team Fortress 2 -- horisontal lines, stuff turning strange colors etc. So I shut down and let it cool off, and tried again. That time I got an antfarm of random static and a complete hang.

The next day it was standing idle, with the screen in standby. I poked the mouse to wake it up, and it was completely hung. I punch reset, and now it doesn't boot. I get the normal POST beep, and then nothing happens. No video signal.

At this point I suspected a dead video card, so I slapped in a new one. Still no video signal, and not even a POST beep now. So I guess that means either dead CPU or dead motherboard. Any suggestions about which it is?

(Though I guess I'll upgrade both CPU and motherboard anyway.)

Echo on

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Hmm. Removed the CPU heatsink, and the thermal paste had turned into a cracked cake. Off to buy some new thermal paste, which is pretty much the last hope of fixing this. Otherwise I guess it's time for a forced hardware upgrade.

Echo on
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm. Removed the CPU heatsink, and the thermal paste had turned into a cracked cake. Off to buy some new thermal paste, which is pretty much the last hope of fixing this. Otherwise I guess it's time for a forced hardware upgrade.

I wouldn't get your hopes up - and even if it does miraculously work, treat it like it could fail at any moment. If it won't even POST, and the thermal paste is in that state, something has almost certainly been damaged.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • nuclearalchemistnuclearalchemist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, for future reference, if something isn't POSTing, it doesn't matter what the video card is doing. Technically you can yank a bunch from the computer and it should still POST (like, memory, hard drives, the CPU). You probably either broke the mobo or the CPU is friend (or both).

nuclearalchemist on
    ~Eigen-fleichen
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're not getting to POST anymore, you can try yanking most of the hardware, swap the jumper labeled 1 to the other position, take the battery out of the board for ~ 10 seconds, and then replace the battery and the jumper. That's the most drastic reset to original settings you can make. If you can't get a POST beep after that, you're looking at a serious MB/CPU problem.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Just to get some closure on this: ended up getting a new motherboard. And then a new PSU too, since my last one didn't have the jiggawatts to feed the new monstrosity of a video card.

So now I'm back in business. (once I've gotten the bastard to boot off the right drive.)

Echo on