As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GROAN ON] Team Fortress 2 : We Don't Have Zombies, (but we have each other)

• rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    What happened? Where did my Heavy Fortress 2 and Flippy Fortress 2 go? Now I have to play this boring old game. :(

Also, my main beef with the backburner is that it's boring and inferior. I don't find it to be a more effective weapon, although I do find it easier to use. There have been times when I switched to the backburner, only to ask myself, what do I do against soldiers now? Or, oh, an uber, maybe I can stand in their way? And stuff like that.
    I think the zombie conversation is much more interesting.

and FUCK when is the next achievements/class coming out?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I'm going for a week, and I won't have TF2, I'll miss you guys.

(I'm Wheat on the servers if any of you are wondering.)

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Stupid question:

Are the new achievements/unlockables for Pyro and Medic ever coming to consoles?

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    /wave asiina

And I thought of a better, not-6am-in-the-morning way of putting it.

I totally agree that I shouldn't stand much of a chance against a pyro once they reach me, and that was never my complaint.

But shouldn't I have a good chance, playing well, to kill them at range? This is my point, and what Asiina seems to agree with. I can do my utmost to kill a pyro at considerable range and still stand a decent chance of them getting to me before I can.

At range sure

For arguments sake, I'm thinking dustbowl 3-3, a sniper standing in that area behind the point. If the pyro is coming around the corner, you have plenty of time to kill him and all. If he's on the staircases, outside of a lucky headshot and maybe a crit-chete, the sniper shouldn't stand much chance

That's not a problem inherent with the pyro. Put a heavy/soldier/demo in the same situation and the outcome will be different

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Stupid question:

Are the new achievements/unlockables for Pyro and Medic ever coming to consoles?

Maybe.

From what I've heard about the 360, Valve wants them to be free updates and Microsoft wants to charge, so they're at an impasse. I don't know about the PS3 though.

Asiina on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Stupid question:

Probably once they're all done. Microsoft doesn't like incremental releases.

EDIT: The new maps, however, may not. That's "Free Content" which Microsoft dislikes.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    /wave asiina

And I thought of a better, not-6am-in-the-morning way of putting it.

I totally agree that I shouldn't stand much of a chance against a pyro once they reach me, and that was never my complaint.

But shouldn't I have a good chance, playing well, to kill them at range? This is my point, and what Asiina seems to agree with. I can do my utmost to kill a pyro at considerable range and still stand a decent chance of them getting to me before I can.
    This seems to completely ignore the fact that you have a team who should be defending the rear (i.e: where you should be) with sentries, stickies, spychecks, etc. The pyro shouldn't be able to close in from a considerable range without getting blown to smithereens by your team, never mind possibly getting sniped along the way.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well the Dark Knight was excellent, but enough of that.

I could change random words in the OP to something random to inspire memories of Heavy/Flippy fortress.. but I am unsure on what word/words to choose.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Orky Fortress 2: Killin' 9 diffrent 'umies

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    Stupid question:

Maybe.

From what I've heard about the 360, Valve wants them to be free updates and Microsoft wants to charge, so they're at an impasse. I don't know about the PS3 though.

Do consoles get any sort of patching updates? : /

In regards to Zombies (repost, but it's appropriate):
    Meet The Zombie
    stubbs_the_zombie_in_rebel_.jpg

In life, he was only a lowly salesman peddling shotguns. That all changed after an unfortunate accident during a demonstration.
    At the same time, a few feet away, the budding Medic was horrified to see a man being shot in the face while attempting to twirl a shotgun. Not willing to leave an opportunity to go to waste, the Medic made the Zombie.

Role: Cannon Fodder
    Health: 100
    Speed: As Engineer

Weapons:
    Shotgun (Primary)
    Gravestone (Secondary): A Zombie starts with a single Gravestone upon spawning and cannot be replenished with ammo packs or with a dispenser. A Zombie can place down a Gravestone onto the ground, which occupies as much space as a teleporter. The Gravestone has 100 health and can be destroyed by the enemy. The Zombie is notified if his Gravestone is destroyed. When a Zombie is killed when his Gravestone is active, he can opt to respawn again as zombie beside his Gravestone in 5 seconds after death. Doing so skips the normal team respawn queue and he cannot change classes. Respawning in this way does not award a Gravestone to a Zombie.
    Claws (Melee): Like every other melee attack.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PMAvers

I don't know if this was mentioned but Fastlane on your server will last forever if no one wins. Is there no maptime limit that instantly ends the game. We were playing Fastlane for an hour on a stalemated section. It was no fun. Also Blue Dot

A similar thing happened to some ctf map (rivalry?), the timer counted down to zero but there was no stalemate or sudden death, it just kept going until one team won. And while we're whining about map rules on the HoNC, ctf_turbine lasted like 20 minutes in which we played 5 full rounds of ctf, yet cp_freight lasted only about 5-10 minutes with only 3 rounds played. That's just not right man. Nowadays Turbine and Fastlane don't really belong on HoNC anyway, or at least not in the default rotation.

I'll take a look to see what's going on.

EDIT: Okay, I increased the win limit on Freight up to 6. Decreased the time limit on Turbine to 15 minutes, and it and Fastlane should only show up if it's voted for.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    whenever flippy does his fo srs argument thing I can't help but picture him as Pat from achewood.

iowa on
  • savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    PMAvers wrote: »
    PMAvers

I don't know if this was mentioned but Fastlane on your server will last forever if no one wins. Is there no maptime limit that instantly ends the game. We were playing Fastlane for an hour on a stalemated section. It was no fun. Also Blue Dot

A similar thing happened to some ctf map (rivalry?), the timer counted down to zero but there was no stalemate or sudden death, it just kept going until one team won. And while we're whining about map rules on the HoNC, ctf_turbine lasted like 20 minutes in which we played 5 full rounds of ctf, yet cp_freight lasted only about 5-10 minutes with only 3 rounds played. That's just not right man. Nowadays Turbine and Fastlane don't really belong on HoNC anyway, or at least not in the default rotation.

I'll take a look to see what's going on.

EDIT: Okay, I increased the win limit on Freight up to 6. Decreased the time limit on Turbine to 15 minutes, and it and Fastlane should only show up if it's voted for.

<3

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The only thing I hate now is that I can't kill pyros with a snap headshot and a bodyshot/machete. I'd run in and give them a whack after a headshot only to find out they still have life and I burn to death.

SuMa.Lustre on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mrfm Mrmfmrmf 2: Fmrmfmmfm fmfmrmfm fmrmm

Asiina on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pyro does need some changes because EZ mode is stupid. Was the extra health really that necessary?
    Maybe give 200 health for both flamethrowers, take away regular crits from Backburner.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The canal zone map on HoNC yesterday was sweet. My only regret was not playing scout so I could actually see more of the map. I just kept getting lost wandering around and dieing.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Pyro does need some changes because EZ mode is stupid. Was the extra health really that necessary?
    Maybe give 200 health for both flamethrowers, take away regular crits from Backburner.

The biggest advantage for the Backburner is the extra health. Since you have to be directly behind someone to get the critical for it, it's too situational unless you have a ambush. If you remove normal crits, the angle in which you can burn someone's back should be increased.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    iowa wrote: »
    whenever flippy does his fo srs argument thing I can't help but picture him as Pat from achewood.

Reminds me more of this Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap

Hypothetical situations to keep our minds alive and all

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I think pyro is fine as is. I can take them down with a medic if I meet them in the front. If they surpise me from behind I lose, but I'd likely lose anyway if the damage on the backburner was toned down or if they didn't have the hitpoints. Once the other classes get updated I bet this problem will disappear.

Fellhand on
  • TheSinisterMinisterTheSinisterMinister Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pyro's my most played class now (clocking in at a whopping eight hours), and I manage to do pretty well. I agree that Pyros should not be the tanks they are now. What I think would fit the class more is to take away the bonus health from the backburner, take 25 more off on top of that, and remove any flame drop off (on second thought, maybe keep the dropoff give 'em the 25 health back, and just make headshots 1 hit them). To me, that really inspires play that coincides with the class. You drop in (hopefully from behind) scream "OH SHIT!" and go up in a firey explosion, causing the coagulated masses that were there to go running and screaming for health packs and medics, pretty much like an overt, visible, spy.

What irks me most playing against Pyros is when you just get licked by the flame, but manage to hold your distance aside from that lucky touch and kill him, only to die inches from a health pack. This happens much more often to me than being backstabbed, and isn't quite as irritating, but can still get me that much closer to a ragequit - but I think it's just right.

A lone spy can destroy an entire push by killing a medic an instant before he pops his uber. That's the kind of shit that causes damage to my room, and it's perfect. I think backstabbing a medic with 100% uber should be worth 10 points. A pyro doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have the option to have that kind of timing. He can wreak havoc if no one sees him until he's close, but he should be blown to smithereens before he has the chance to melt everyone, and, with a good medic, the survives won't burn to death.

If the pyro manages to get behind enemy lines without being seen, without a cloak, or a disguise, his reward is 100% crits. Provided no one turns around. OR he can choose to have an easier time getting TO the front line with the leafblower.

My two cents.

TheSinisterMinister on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    no, flippy is totally cornelius

tofu on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Even if they lowered the hp bonus of the backburner to +25, I would still use it almost exclusively. The ability to control when you crit through superior maneuvering skill just seals the deal. If they enemy can't watch their backs and lets a pyro sneak by, then they deserve to experience a fiery death.

From the other side however, overhealed pyros absoutely wreck any level 2 sentries if they start close enough to them. Something about this seems off...

Also: Blue dot!! ....hudda...hudda....rmbrhnsssssss..

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Avynte wrote: »
    Even if they lowered the hp bonus of the backburner to +25, I would still use it almost exclusively. The ability to control when you crit through superior maneuvering skill just seals the deal. If they enemy can't watch their backs and lets a pyro sneak by, then they deserve to experience a fiery death.

From the other side however, overhealed pyros absoutely wreck any level 2 sentries if they start close enough to them. Something about this seems off...

Also: Blue dot!! ....hudda...hudda....rmbrhnsssssss..

You don't need to be over healed as a pyro to wreck sentries. You just have to circle strafe. Lone pyros with leaf blowers can wreck attended sentries if they approach right.

Fellhand on
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »

I was thinking of this strip specifically

iowa on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    orky fort... just sayin. needs more greenskins.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited July 2008
    tofu wrote: »

I was thinking of this strip specifically
    point

tofu on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    Mrfm Mrmfmrmf 2: Fmrmfmmfm fmfmrmfm fmrmm

SHUT UP

tyrannus on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    God damnit I hate asiina more than most pyros.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think it would be funny if, instead of the +50 health they made ignited players burn longer, and make it possible for fire to spread among enemy players if they bump into eachother.

Dissociater on
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    make it possible for fire to spread among enemy players if they bump into eachother.

This is the best thing.

(So did anyone want to play right now? I have to go in to work at 4. :( )

Skexis on
    edited July 2008
    The Backburner's extra health annoys me because everyone chooses the Backburner for the extra health, which benefits the person playing.

The compression blast is much more useful for the team. I've singlehandedly wrecked two ubers by bouncing back everyone, possibly saving the day.
    I think the most fun I had was standing alone up top of the tower on Gravel pit on defense and shoving no less than five guys, atleast two ubered, off of the tower in the last 30 seconds or so.

I don't know, I just feel that every unlockable should be balanced with the rest of the game, and as it is the Backburner is just a liiiittttle too good. Just a little. Especially compared to what the flamethrower used to be.

I'd be happy If they changed the changed the health to 200.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I thought of a new Spy melee weapon that could be unlocked.
    A pencil.

People who have seen TDK will get it, even those who haven't won't be spoiled.

John Zoidberg on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Have I missed any exciting news regarding the heavy update?

Gumpy on
    edited July 2008
    I was thinking the sniper should get like a 20mm anti-tank rifle and be able to shoot through walls, but have less ammo, movement, and a longer load time. Kind of like what one sniper used at the Battle of Stalingrad.
    Zaytsev fixed a standard Moisin-Nagant rifle scope to a Soviet 20mm anti-tank rifle for use against Germans hiding behind walls under window sills. The 20mm rounds easily penetrated the brick and the soldier behind it.

Fellhand on
    edited July 2008
    They decided to rename the heavy "fatcheeks" but that's it.

tofu on
    edited July 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    I was thinking the sniper should get like a 20mm anti-tank rifle and be able to shoot through walls, but have less ammo, movement, and a longer load time. Kind of like what one sniper used at the Battle of Stalingrad.
    Zaytsev fixed a standard Moisin-Nagant rifle scope to a Soviet 20mm anti-tank rifle for use against Germans hiding behind walls under window sills. The 20mm rounds easily penetrated the brick and the soldier behind it.

That's so badass. Not sure I would want it in my tuftoo, but badass none the less.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What seriously?

I could write an angry Email to valve right about now.

Gumpy on
    edited July 2008
    The Backburner's extra health annoys me because everyone chooses the Backburner for the extra health, which benefits the person playing.

Staying alive longer as a pyro means you can get more kills witch means you are more valuable to the team. When you are dead you are not valuable to the team.

I like the air blast, but don't enjoy it as much as being able to control when I crit. I'm also not as good with as say, Ape of War who juggled an ubered pyro on Dustbowl the other night. That was just awesome to watch. The bonus to hp also helps balance 'the soldier problem'.

Fellhand on
    edited July 2008
    I had the idea of a Tranq gun of some sort for the Sniper.

My thinking was along the lines of no headshot crits but the enemy hit with it is reduced to say 25-50% movement speed. Allowing the Sniper some follow up shots, slowing down enemies with intel or even tagging medics so they cant keep up with whoever they be healing.

Or, to be totally annoying.. blinds the target. I'm talking screen black, only hud left.

Oh, I will be a sad lobster when I can't think of cool ideas anymore.
    Your definition of cool may differ to mine

John Zoidberg on
This discussion has been closed.