As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Show us your Workstation Thread] Keeping tissue boxes where they are

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do you guys write your own software to leverage all of that power Faceball, or is there enough stuff out there that you can get an existing piece of software to process the data for you?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do you guys write your own software to leverage all of that power Faceball, or is there enough stuff out there that you can get an existing piece of software to process the data for you?

We purchased something, sorry I can't say what... but there are a lot of niche products out there for stuff like this. It's all super expensive of course...

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Yorker wrote: »
    Blurry cell phone image:
    PIC-0025.jpg

We just set this PC up today. Engineering purchased it for uh... calculating stuff.

2x Quad core Xeon x5460 3.16ghz
    64GB ram
    NVidia Quadro FX5800 4GB

Can it run Crysis?

Hilariously, probably not as well as you would think. That video card is not designed for gaming, but some pretty high end computational stuff. I'm sure it'll play, but the video card will be on par with the mid-high end cards now in the gaming department.

...wonder if someone could hack together a software renderer for Crysis and see if it ran better.... on that machine at least :P

Rigor Mortis on
  • BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Casual observations:

I am the only person left on the planet using a CRT.

You all seem to take pictures in the daytime. Daytime is weird.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • SvenSven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Beren, i am also using a CRT monitor, its ok.
    100_0236.jpg

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That keyboard table looks incredibly uncomfortable to sit at.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's a bedside table with a keyboard on it. And it looks like the monitor is on a piece of wood on a filing cabinet? That's awesome!

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    Actually the keyboard is at the perfect high to sit at, even better the most desks iv used.

And you are correct Dissociater, that is my setup.

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is your chair comfy at least? I have an amazing computer, with a sweet desk in a nice roomy part of my house and my chair pinches into my lower back most horribly, so that I don't want to sit there for more than a few hours at a time, if that.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2009
    Chair? I sit on the end of my amazingly comfy bed. Chairs be damned.

Its very nice while waiting for raids iv done a billion times in wow to start. Raidleader will start talking about fight, i lay back and watch the massive TV next to my PC.

Edit: Im currently uploading a pic of it from the side. SO yall can see what i mean.

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Spoilered for huge.
    100_0237.jpg

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Workstation whut

Excuse my gay mug:

Tylerwork.jpg

Not pictured to the right is a 27 inch Sony Broad Cast Safe HD moniter. Though I dont have it anymore. Bought it for a job- sold it once I was done.

SOPH138.jpg

And this is my corner of the loft. The 30 inch display there is also now gone in favour of 2 smaller ones and with out the Broad Cast safe, I check my colours on the HDTV. the 30 was great but I work better one the two smaller ones.

Not pictured is the Mac Pro with 32gb ram or the 4 terrabyte raid. Ill be swapping out the workhorse in a month or so for one of the new 8 Core i7 workstations maxed out with Ram.

This whole set up is soon RIP as I have moved into a different space as Im no longer freelancing but filling out a contract somewhere for a year or two. Probably going to sell off a lot of the gear. keep the raid and the workstation though.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sven wrote: »
    Spoilered for huge.
    100_0237.jpg

Is that an iPod Touch or an iPhone? Looks like a Touch but I can't really tell from that angle.

If it is a Touch, do you use a case at all? If not, do you find that the back scratches easily? Mine's in a case, but I prefer it naked (:winky:). But I don't want it all scratched up, either.

elevature on
    edited April 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    Sven wrote: »
    Spoilered for huge.
    100_0237.jpg

Is that an iPod Touch or an iPhone? Looks like a Touch but I can't really tell from that angle.

If it is a Touch, do you use a case at all? If not, do you find that the back scratches easily? Mine's in a case, but I prefer it naked (:winky:). But I don't want it all scratched up, either.

Man people here are really good about picking up weird details like that. Yes its a touch, and no i dont use a case. Mine does not scratch a lot, but that's cause i take damn good care of it. Aka, its ether where you see it in the picture or in the MP3 player pocket in my jacket.

Yes, my jacket has like 4 pockets just for MP3 players, with holes on the inside to run the headphones and everything <3

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I have a naked touch too, and I never seem to get it scratched. At least not like.. scratched. I do so love it, and use it daily, so it's not from coddling.

Also, Mr. Brick, those are so damn shiny floors. I am in fits of jealousy over your loft.

Beren on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it a new one? Cuz those have the plastic back or whatever that doesn't actually scratch.

Also Mr.Brick, is that the new Toyota Venza? what are you working on :o

variant on
    edited April 2009
    Nah, launch one.

Beren on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    variant wrote: »
    Is it a new one? Cuz those have the plastic back or whatever that doesn't actually scratch.

Also Mr.Brick, is that the new Toyota Venza? what are you working on :o

Good eyes. I was wondering if anyone would pick out what car it is. That was a job I was working on around Christmas. A few 15 second spots for the Venza. They insisted that I use the CAD for the renderings (which regardless of what you may or may not have heard is NOT common for car commercials) so that would be when I was trying to reduce the 6 million polys down to something... usable.

took forever.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys I'm looking for these black wall shelf type things that were pretty awesome and simple and people liked them but I forgot where the dude said he got them.

Obs on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If I'm remembering what you're talking about correctly, they got them from Ikea.

Kris on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I've looked but Ikea doesn't sell any such thing.

But they looked like they might have been from Ikea.

Obs on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have a best skin ever on my iPod touch, at least, on the back. The chrome back scratches if you look at it wrong. The glass screen doesn't scratch, I'm sure I'd have to take my keys to it to make a noticeable blemish.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    new layout. simple.

i enjoy it anyway
    04-18-09_0028.jpg

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice and clean Seaborn, I like it alot.

Here's mine after some remodeling after a flood.

Workstation.jpg

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just got an actual mousepad! This is my college dorm, so it's a bit gross, but I like the space. The cords are the Logitech 5.1's i've nailed into the walls.

picture001bnt.jpg
    picture002mtenzp.jpg

SniperGuy on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    New Desk sans MacBook Pro:
    DSCN0681.jpg

Guts:
    DSCN0684.jpg

noobert on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sorry in advance for the long post, but I recently completed my new workstation, so it's nice to have a thread to share. This desk was an 80/20 extrusion project -- a material that I've become fond of working with recently -- and finished with furniture grade maple plywood.

Each pedestal of the desk is flanked with "rack rail" for a full 19" rackmount that enables me to mount Middle Atlantic shelves, drawers and accessories, in addition to an AC power Center and rackmount server case. The left pedestal houses an NHT 12" amplified subwoofer behind a perforated shroud, (the controller is in the top right drawer), and there are two home theater amplifiers for the surround system. The rears aren't pictured but are NHT Super Ones.

One of the design constraints of the desk was that it had to accommodate the three 24" Dell monitors and the NHT 1.5's that flanked them. This amount of real estate up top setup tons of room for a very large keyboard tray with ample mouse pad room underneath -- a huge upgrade from my cramped old setup. All in all, I think that it turned out pretty well -- mid-project I thought that it was going to be really heinous looking, especially because I planned to use a very dark grey/black flecked Corian for the desk surfaces (like a kitchen countertop). But since I decided to use the lighter wood, it turned out much better looking than I anticipated.

3452418974_a180ef036c_b.jpg

Finally done! \o/

3451603953_2f09177942_b.jpg

You can see here how much space there is between the desk and the bottom of the monitor setup. Also, you can see in the foreground that I've added aluminum channeled/black laminated slatwall to either side of the desk for future expansion -- I can just add brackets and shelves to the sides if I ever want or need to. For now, they just look really cool.

If you look in the background you can see where the desk is missing interior panels -- I just left them off until I was able to clean up the wiring underneath before reinstalling them.

3452418906_4988544292.jpg

Here's the main equipment stack being mounted -- the bottom amp is an Acurus 200 X 3
    for the front speakers, and the one above it is an Acurus 150 x 2 for the rears. The rackmount
    server case is above that, topped by a Middle Atlantic power distribution center and surge protector.

3451603923_88de087f8a.jpg

This is the NHT subwoofer, a full-on 12" powered beast that dives really deep and is way more than anyone
    would need for a near-field loudspeaker setup -- which is just the way I like things.

3452418880_a04f89a176_o.jpg

The triplehead monitor setup was built first, since it didn't have to be part of the desk itself.
    It just bolts into the wall studs with big lag bolts -- very sturdy!

Here I'm just testing out various inputs. The Dell 2408 has a metric fuckton of them.

BTW, if you are curious: desktop resolution is 5760 X 1200

2623678577_02df476574.jpg

Here is the triple head bracket being fabbed (again with 80/20 aluminum extrusions).

The Dell brackets were simply removed from the stock stands and remounted on the
    80/20 for the monitors. The monitors just sit on the brackets and 'click' on, just like on
    the stock stands, which is very handy.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a new desktop PC rig to run this. I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to squeeze a water cooling kit into the horizontal 4U server rack, or just grab one of the HP Blackbird cases we have lying around at work and have it sit off to the side on a shelf. Neither of those solutions seem perfect, so I may end up doing an air-cooled server mounted PC for the time being.

Storm Shadow on
  • SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Christ, that is an amazing setup. Well done, on building it yourself.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice chair.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sorry in advance for the long post, but I recently completed my new workstation, so it's nice to have a thread to share. This desk was an 80/20 extrusion project -- a material that I've become fond of working with recently -- and finished with furniture grade maple plywood.

Each pedestal of the desk is flanked with "rack rail" for a full 19" rackmount that enables me to mount Middle Atlantic shelves, drawers and accessories, in addition to an AC power Center and rackmount server case. The left pedestal houses an NHT 12" amplified subwoofer behind a perforated shroud, (the controller is in the top right drawer), and there are two home theater amplifiers for the surround system. The rears aren't pictured but are NHT Super Ones.

One of the design constraints of the desk was that it had to accommodate the three 24" Dell monitors and the NHT 1.5's that flanked them. This amount of real estate up top setup tons of room for a very large keyboard tray with ample mouse pad room underneath -- a huge upgrade from my cramped old setup. All in all, I think that it turned out pretty well -- mid-project I thought that it was going to be really heinous looking, especially because I planned to use a very dark grey/black flecked Corian for the desk surfaces (like a kitchen countertop). But since I decided to use the lighter wood, it turned out much better looking than I anticipated.

Finally done! \o/

You can see here how much space there is between the desk and the bottom of the monitor setup. Also, you can see in the foreground that I've added aluminum channeled/black laminated slatwall to either side of the desk for future expansion -- I can just add brackets and shelves to the sides if I ever want or need to. For now, they just look really cool.

If you look in the background you can see where the desk is missing interior panels -- I just left them off until I was able to clean up the wiring underneath before reinstalling them.

Here's the main equipment stack being mounted -- the bottom amp is an Acurus 200 X 3
    for the front speakers, and the one above it is an Acurus 150 x 2 for the rears. The rackmount
    server case is above that, topped by a Middle Atlantic power distribution center and surge protector.

This is the NHT subwoofer, a full-on 12" powered beast that dives really deep and is way more than anyone
    would need for a near-field loudspeaker setup -- which is just the way I like things.

The triplehead monitor setup was built first, since it didn't have to be part of the desk itself.

Here I'm just testing out various inputs. The Dell 2408 has a metric fuckton of them.

Here is the triple head bracket being fabbed (again with 80/20 aluminum extrusions).

The Dell brackets were simply removed from the stock stands and remounted on the
    80/20 for the monitors. The monitors just sit on the brackets and 'click' on, just like on

I'm currently in the process of putting together a new desktop PC rig to run this. I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to squeeze a water cooling kit into the horizontal 4U server rack, or just grab one of the HP Blackbird cases we have lying around at work and have it sit off to the side on a shelf. Neither of those solutions seem perfect, so I may end up doing an air-cooled server mounted PC for the time being.

JEALOUSY

Also that chair is pretty rad. Is it one of those fancy Aeron chairs people/commercials rave about?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That kind of looks like one of the chairs from my work, but I don't think it is, seeing as to how ours came from Staples (guess who had to put them all together :()

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

Finally done! \o/

JEALOUSY

Also that chair is pretty rad. Is it one of those fancy Aeron chairs people/commercials rave about?

It looks like one.

Aeron_chair_JN.jpg

That chair costs a bit more than the PC I built last year :P

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck, wrong thread.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    I've looked but Ikea doesn't sell any such thing.

But they looked like they might have been from Ikea.

Is it this guy?

0086571_PE215404_S4.JPG

They also have bigger ones.

KalTorak on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

Finally done! \o/

JEALOUSY

It looks like one.

Aeron_chair_JN.jpg

That chair costs a bit more than the PC I built last year :P[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's an Aeron for sure. I'm a big guy so it's especially nice that they make Small/Medium/Large framed versions of this chair. If you live near the Bay Area, you can always find these cheap ( ~300 bucks used), since all the dot coms buy them and then go under.

ASTRO did some design work for Herman Miller a while ago (the originators of the Aeron chair), so we get a mad discount on them. I actually use four around my dining room table, so I have a total of five of these. I'm thinking about getting a sixth, since they just started making a high/stool version of it, for my workbench.

As Mr. Bueller says, "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Storm Shadow on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Finally done! \o/

applause.gif

Azio on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dang

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Storm Shadow is that guy on the other end of the phone calls in spy movies.

"Get me out of here!"

"I'm triangulating your coordinates and finding you the safest route out of there, I need 53 seconds!"

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Leave it to Storm Shadow to make us feel very insignificant, heh.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited April 2009
    Storm Shadow is that guy on the other end of the phone calls in spy movies.

"Get me out of here!"

"I'm triangulating your coordinates and finding you the safest route out of there, I need 53 seconds!"

Storm Shadow, I need an exit!

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg