As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Show us your Workstation Thread] Keeping tissue boxes where they are

• KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maaaan Storm Shadow. I thought I had finally got my workspace looking pretty sharp. Now all I want to do is cry myself to sleep. :P

In one of the middle pictures though, is your Macbook Pro sitting on your desk with half of it hanging over the edge? That seems like a rather... precarious place to put it. D:

Kris on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, you should see the way the new 17" hangs off now! :P (in the pic was an old-and-busted 15")

I actually just put it there for reference sake when I took the picture. It wouldn't survive 10 minutes with my rambunctious kittens about. :)

Storm Shadow on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    It looks like one.

Aeron_chair_JN.jpg

That chair costs a bit more than the PC I built last year :P

Oooo those are the chairs people at my office get when they've been there for... a long time. Longer than me anyway.

KalTorak on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It looks like one.
    Aeron_chair_JN.jpg

Oooo those are the chairs people at my office get when they've been there for... a long time. Longer than me anyway.

Is there some kind of chair promotion scale? I'm assuming you all start on milk crates, then eventually work up to a human flesh covered throne.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It looks like one.
    Aeron_chair_JN.jpg

Is there some kind of chair promotion scale? I'm assuming you all start on milk crates, then eventually work up to a human flesh covered throne.

You have to work here a month before they let you turn the milk crate upside-down.

The top execs just sit on the most recent hire.

KalTorak on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got one of these yesterday:

http://saitek.com/uk/prod/cykeyv2.htm

Good layout, keypresses feel good, metal plated WASD and spacebar..

I also think the side buttons are better designed than the Logitech G-11... they're big and very easy to feel for without looking.

Jasconius on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dammit, I want one of those. But I have a revision one G15 and can't justify replacing it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

I also think the side buttons are better designed than the Logitech G-11... they're big and very easy to feel for without looking.

Do the metal-plated keys feel much different? Seems... odd.

exis on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm just wondering why some of the features exist on that keyboard.

"WASD, cursor, ‘Cyborg’ and NumPad keys can be lit independently from the rest of keyboard to highlight commonly used gaming keys"

Why? The people that buy keyboards like that are probably know what keys they're hitting, and don't need lights to remind them of where they are.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The reasoning is that looks matter. If you've got a CFFL windowed case, you're likely to want to buy a matching keyboard. Rather than make single-color options like they did with the Eclipse, they went multicolor on the Cyborg.

The metal-coated keys are important because those four take much more punishment than the rest. If you look at a gamer's keyboard, you'll notice that the WASD have usually been rubbed blank.

The other advantage the Cyborg has over the G15 is that it has two USB cables. One for the keyboard, and another USB pass-through. The problem with the G15 is that it shares power with its two USB ports, and you run the risk of powering down the entire keyboard if you suddenly draw too much from either of them.

That said, I still prefer the feel of the G15's keys. The Cyborg's spacebar seems to hitch on me for some reason.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    slacktron wrote: »
    The metal-coated keys are important because those four take much more punishment than the rest. If you look at a gamer's keyboard, you'll notice that the WASD have usually been rubbed blank.

You don't need a metal coating to protect the keys, even on a "gamer's keyboard". The Model M is testament to that. Most keyboard manufacturers cut corners on the keycaps, even on their expensive keyboards like the G15.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You don't need a metal coating to protect the keys, even on a "gamer's keyboard". The Model M is testament to that. Most keyboard manufacturers cut corners on the keycaps, even on their expensive keyboards like the G15.

Well, the Model M is a behemoth of durability, also useful as a bludgeon in case of emergency.

But the point of the Cyborg appears to be flash and style, so if they're going to coat those keys, they may as well make it shiny.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    Sorry in advance for the long post, but I recently completed my new workstation, so it's nice to have a thread to share. This desk was an 80/20 extrusion project -- a material that I've become fond of working with recently -- and finished with furniture grade maple plywood.

Each pedestal of the desk is flanked with "rack rail" for a full 19" rackmount that enables me to mount Middle Atlantic shelves, drawers and accessories, in addition to an AC power Center and rackmount server case. The left pedestal houses an NHT 12" amplified subwoofer behind a perforated shroud, (the controller is in the top right drawer), and there are two home theater amplifiers for the surround system. The rears aren't pictured but are NHT Super Ones.

One of the design constraints of the desk was that it had to accommodate the three 24" Dell monitors and the NHT 1.5's that flanked them. This amount of real estate up top setup tons of room for a very large keyboard tray with ample mouse pad room underneath -- a huge upgrade from my cramped old setup. All in all, I think that it turned out pretty well -- mid-project I thought that it was going to be really heinous looking, especially because I planned to use a very dark grey/black flecked Corian for the desk surfaces (like a kitchen countertop). But since I decided to use the lighter wood, it turned out much better looking than I anticipated.

3452418974_a180ef036c_b.jpg

Finally done! \o/

3451603953_2f09177942_b.jpg

You can see here how much space there is between the desk and the bottom of the monitor setup. Also, you can see in the foreground that I've added aluminum channeled/black laminated slatwall to either side of the desk for future expansion -- I can just add brackets and shelves to the sides if I ever want or need to. For now, they just look really cool.

If you look in the background you can see where the desk is missing interior panels -- I just left them off until I was able to clean up the wiring underneath before reinstalling them.

3452418906_4988544292.jpg

Here's the main equipment stack being mounted -- the bottom amp is an Acurus 200 X 3
    for the front speakers, and the one above it is an Acurus 150 x 2 for the rears. The rackmount
    server case is above that, topped by a Middle Atlantic power distribution center and surge protector.

3451603923_88de087f8a.jpg

This is the NHT subwoofer, a full-on 12" powered beast that dives really deep and is way more than anyone
    would need for a near-field loudspeaker setup -- which is just the way I like things.

3452418880_a04f89a176_o.jpg

The triplehead monitor setup was built first, since it didn't have to be part of the desk itself.
    It just bolts into the wall studs with big lag bolts -- very sturdy!

Here I'm just testing out various inputs. The Dell 2408 has a metric fuckton of them.

BTW, if you are curious: desktop resolution is 5760 X 1200

2623678577_02df476574.jpg

Here is the triple head bracket being fabbed (again with 80/20 aluminum extrusions).

The Dell brackets were simply removed from the stock stands and remounted on the
    80/20 for the monitors. The monitors just sit on the brackets and 'click' on, just like on
    the stock stands, which is very handy.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a new desktop PC rig to run this. I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to squeeze a water cooling kit into the horizontal 4U server rack, or just grab one of the HP Blackbird cases we have lying around at work and have it sit off to the side on a shelf. Neither of those solutions seem perfect, so I may end up doing an air-cooled server mounted PC for the time being.

JEALOUSY

Also that chair is pretty rad. Is it one of those fancy Aeron chairs people/commercials rave about?

It looks like one.

Aeron_chair_JN.jpg

But not my pc. Thanks for the tips guys. I need a superior chair thats comfy. Now to find a used one for 300$ I see recertified ones for 500-600$

Stormy, You have one hell of a setup there. Very elegant with quite an intricate design.

Viscountalpha on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A small upgrade, and a return to an older case, my Nemesis Elite. Instead of ripping everything out, the older processor and motherboard stayed in the case I'd previously shown here (the Lexa Blackline - you can probably tell that I like NZXT's cases), and went to my flat-mate, while his store-bought Acer went to my brother as a replacement for his ageing Athlon 64 system. Since my old Nemesis Elite case was going unused, it's been brought back from the dead, so to speak. Also, new speakers.

DSCF1129.jpg

I love the Nemesis Elite. Such an awesome case... though a little louder than the Lexa Blackline.

DSCF1133.jpg

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited April 2009
    exis wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

Do the metal-plated keys feel much different? Seems... odd.

They press pretty much the same, but in terms of tactile properties, I find they are somewhat less prone to finger slipping.

I like the section independent lightning, if for no reason other than it looks cool

Jasconius on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    meh desk :winky:

Visible here, old sun server used for stuff, eee PC hooked up to a monitor for normal browsing. macbook (and hell no it's not mine, fixing for a friend), custom built PC (amd 3.0ghz phenomII, will do 4ghz, crosshair II formula, 2x ocz vertex raid0, 3x 500gb seagate raid5, dual 8800 SLI, htomega clairo sound, corsair dominator ram, and various water cooling parts).

I have more stuff involved, but it's not in this picture, namely a NAS and secondary gaming PC.

DSCF9672.jpg
    DSCF9673.jpg

psychotix on
  • SnakeTheFoxSnakeTheFox Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sorry for the quality, my shitty Nikon Coolpix is just half a step above a 1st generation cellphone camera.

DSCN6031.jpg

Main workstation. Can't say much work gets done here, but whatever.

Whole setup here cost me about 800 dollars, which for a Nvidia 9800GT, 4 gigs of DDR2, and a E7200 Dual Core and LCD monitor, is a pretty good steal. Notice the Alienware case. I didn't buy Alienware, but the guy I buy most of my parts from managed to snag it (just the tower), and the neon, during an online clearance sale.

Excuse the bright red, I don't actually live on Mars. Again, crappy camera.

DSCN6032.jpg

Secondary Workstation. Not seen in the picture: 360. Had it packaged up from when I went to a friends to LAN. Bonus points if you can spot the Slave I that I've not been able to part with since I was a youngin'. Only toy/model you'll find in my house.

SnakeTheFox on
    Give me a week, I'll have something witty and revealing to put here.
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    desktop_current.jpg

yeah... my desktop don't look so clean anymore.

logic7 on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Messy college desk ahoy!

img0118c.jpg
    Shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-05-02

I don't just have one speaker (the other is behind the MacBook--this setup is temporary until I move out Monday).

Also note the orange mug, which is from the best fucking breakfast place ever.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nice desktop background, any chance of a source? :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The "Exterminate" Dalek is here. The vector Cyberman is here.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awesome, thank you :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Messy college desk ahoy!

img0118c.jpg
    Shot with Canon PowerShot A590 IS at 2009-05-02

I don't just have one speaker (the other is behind the MacBook--this setup is temporary until I move out Monday).

Also note the orange mug, which is from the best fucking breakfast place ever.

I see your Plushie Cthulhu, and I raise you a Plushie Cthulhu with a Red Mage figurine, Rogue figurine, and 1-UP Mushroom.

IMG00026-20090503-1246.jpg

GPIA7R on
    edited May 2009
    Well played, sir. Well played.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Where do you get your Cthulhu plushies?

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
    edited May 2009
    I got mine off of Paizo.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did I tell you guys I finally ditched the folding chair and upgraded to an actually swivel desk chair?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One time I brought in lawn chair that folded completely out when my normal chair broke. It was a pleasant substitute.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Using 5 computers at once because I can

laptops.jpg

Azio on
  • LoxleyLoxley Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Still love the color of the walls :^:

Loxley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    I really need to get an antenna for my TV so I can watch hockey in HD. Web stream sucks.

Azio on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    I really need to get an antenna for my TV so I can watch hockey in HD. Web stream sucks.

Go Hawks! ;-)

Kris on
  • HranjHranj Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Finally got around to cleaning and took a couple pictures. What do you think?

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Hranj on
    Zune: Pirate Monkey
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

laptops.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a big (~42") LCD HDTV as a monitor for my next machine.

How is yours for day-day use? Is the input lag too much for gaming?

fshavlak on
  • kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a 46" Westinghouse that I used as a monitor for a while. No noticeable lag. I played CS 1.6 on it and I'm very competitive (cal main/premier) so I'm pretty anal about that. I also have Super Smash Bros nights where all the good players in the state come play... no lag for that either.

Really though, it probably depends on the TV.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kpeezy wrote: »
    I have a 46" Westinghouse that I used as a monitor for a while. No noticeable lag. I played CS 1.6 on it and I'm very competitive (cal main/premier) so I'm pretty anal about that. I also have Super Smash Bros nights where all the good players in the state come play... no lag for that either.

Really though, it probably depends on the TV.

Yeah, that's the advice I got on some other forums too.

I hit avsforum to get a recommendation for which TV to buy. Those guys are pretty anal about this stuff so I'll probably get what I'm looking for.

fshavlak on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hran we have the same tower and speakers.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited May 2009
    aww man... you might have seen my old workstation picture from earlier in this thread... with the 5 or 6 screens / 3 machines on a single desk.

Just switched jobs. Amazing company, great people, shameful hardware.

They've got me on a 13 inch HP laptop with integrated graphics plugged into a 15 inch fullscreen monitor.

I came from a quad core workstation with SLI quadros and 3 Dell Ultrasharps.

There's going to be a rebellion.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2009
    fshavlak wrote: »
    laptops.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a big (~42") LCD HDTV as a monitor for my next machine.

How is yours for day-day use? Is the input lag too much for gaming?
    It's fine for everyday stuff like browsing and photos and chatting. Sometimes when I'm coding I wish I had more lines. There is no lag.

Azio on
  • HranjHranj Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    hran we have the same tower and speakers.

I must say I love pretty much my whole setup. Only two complaints are the cable management in the case isn't that great and I really wish there was a better way to mount the speakers or place them somewhere else in the room but the sound just doesn't reach me. Much better than my old setup though which consisted of 10+ year old hardware running Ubuntu.

Hranj on
    Zune: Pirate Monkey