As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Show us your Workstation Thread] Keeping tissue boxes where they are

• exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hranj wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    hran we have the same tower and speakers.

I must say I love pretty much my whole setup. Only two complaints are the cable management in the case isn't that great and I really wish there was a better way to mount the speakers or place them somewhere else in the room but the sound just doesn't reach me. Much better than my old setup though which consisted of 10+ year old hardware running Ubuntu.

It can be done...
    DSC09938tn.jpg

But personally mines a huge mess. Considering my case sits on the ground anyway, it doesn't really bother me.

exis on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    exis wrote: »
    Hranj wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    hran we have the same tower and speakers.

I must say I love pretty much my whole setup. Only two complaints are the cable management in the case isn't that great and I really wish there was a better way to mount the speakers or place them somewhere else in the room but the sound just doesn't reach me. Much better than my old setup though which consisted of 10+ year old hardware running Ubuntu.

It can be done...
    DSC09938tn.jpg

But personally mines a huge mess. Considering my case sits on the ground anyway, it doesn't really bother me.

My desktop at home has awesome cable routing. It's all pre-sata, too, big old ribbon cables but no mess, and nothing taking up the open spaces.

Of course, it's about time that it gets relegated to media center duties and I get a big screaming i7 system (and a 42" display for it). I guess I'll need to feed it a fancier video card before I do that, so it can handle HD.

Need to find an AGP video card with good linux drivers that can do HDTV (HDMI would be nice).

fshavlak on
  • HranjHranj Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    exis wrote: »
    It can be done...
    DSC09938tn.jpg

Damn that's nice. I wish I could get mine to look like that but the only way I can make mine look any better is to start cutting holes and I'm not ready to do that yet.

Hranj on
    Zune: Pirate Monkey
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have trouble keeping this case neat inside as well, though I didn't try TOO hard. lots of excess wires from my power supply that I'm not sure what to do with honestly.

at least it's miles and miles quieter than my last one.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have that same case and I wish I could do that.

But due to the way I am, I get nervous when bending cables and forcibly hiding them in order to get it like that.

That and I probably need a Power supply with longer cables in order to route them the way they're routed in that photo.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    goddamn what case is that...

I wants it.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2009
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    I have that same case and I wish I could do that.

But due to the way I am, I get nervous when bending cables and forcibly hiding them in order to get it like that.

That and I probably need a Power supply with longer cables in order to route them the way they're routed in that photo.

They have extenders for cables. They hardest part in my opinion is mounting the PSU upside down so the cables are by the wall of the case. Involves drilling out a slot in the bottom for the intake fan. Hence the high feet.
    Jasconius wrote:
    goddamn what case is that...

I wants it.

Its the Antec 900 model 1. It takes a lot of work to get it like that but its a hell of a nice case. Great cooling and lots of room to work with. I'd definitely recommend it. Also I should note that from the factory its not painted black like that on the inside, its silver which is really unfortunate.

Hranj on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd be kind of nervous about the heat from the PSU being below all my expensive bits

TL DR on
  • ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd be kind of nervous about the heat from the PSU being below all my expensive bits

It's better for case stability and the Antec 900 moves so much air that it's not even an issue.

Erchamion on
    edited May 2009
    With the giant blower at the top its not bad at all. All the hot air rises and gets sucked right out the top. My temps are great, never once had a problem.

Hranj on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That case reminds me about the time Homer tried to build a barbecue grill.

"Ah, now that's a good grill..."
    *Lowers the photograph to reveal a mess*
    "WHY DOESN'T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT?!!"

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok so I finally moved into the first piece of real estate I have ever owned today, so here is my new computer layout.

I posted like fifteen pages back when I was still using soup cans as speaker stands... so this is all a big step in the right direction

n637375627_2576416_5952173.jpg

Spoiled for V-Scroll, shows better pictures of my music related crap and the computers.
    n637375627_2576418_3569725.jpg
    n637375627_2576419_7840540.jpg
    n637375627_2576420_4092484.jpg
    n637375627_2576415_6799375.jpg
    n637375627_2576417_5304031.jpg
    n637375627_2576416_5952173.jpg
    n637375627_2576412_1999770.jpg

useless4 on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dayumn nice MacPros.. what kind of speakers are those? And the black TV-set?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited May 2009
    The tv is a vizio bought at target, the speakers are M-Audio BX5As.

useless4 on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    nice place and congrats useless!

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    img0196f.jpg
    Close-up of desk:
    img0197n.jpg

Some notes (a lot of this stuff is seemingly random/has a lot of history behind it):
    The shuttle mission patch on the wall was given to me by one of the astronauts, who went to the same high school as me.
    The banjo was my grandfather's--I don't actually play it. There's a mandolin hanging on the other side of the window.
    The little creatures dangling on the lower drawer knobs and the window were a gift from my Chinese roommate. They're the Olympic mascots from the past year.
    The TARDIS is a USB hub attached to the desktop.
    The computer case is supposed to have a door over where the drive bays are. It broke off during move-out and I have yet to put it back on.
    The desk itself was built by hand by my father from a tree my grandfather cut down. I inherited it after my grandmother moved out of her house. Similarly, I inherited the recliner after my great-uncle moved out of his house.
    The keyboard is one of Unicomp's buckling spring keyboards. I have a real Model M in storage somewhere that I have yet to try out (it was being thrown out at work).
    The white object on the windowsill is a pillbox paperweight also inherited from my great-uncle (it's from one of those non-profits trying to remove land mines, pillboxes, etc. from the old Communist bloc).
    The long picture frame on the wall is really cool: it holds fake business cards of famous people from history (Bejamin Franklin, Printer; Wright Cycle Company; A. Lincoln, Attorney at Law; Dr. Albert Einstein, Professor of Physics), and the last one is my grandfather's real business card. I found it in my grandmother's attic during that same move-out.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is with everyone precariously placing their laptops half-off their desks in all the workstation shots? You're all crazy! :P

Kris on
  • WangtopiaWangtopia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kris wrote: »
    What is with everyone precariously placing their laptops half-off their desks in all the workstation shots? You're all crazy! :P

And I shall continue the tradition

Spoilered for V-scroll:
    DSCF0349.jpg
    Head on shot of my desk. The laptop is a Dell Mini 9 w/2 gigs of ram. Also, the awful wood paneling, curtains and carpet are because I'm living in a house that hasn't been remodeled since the 70's.

DSCF0350.jpg
    Wider angle. That stack of books is my summer reading stack, mostly books about Scientology. I've been doing a lot of research on the topic. And the PC specs:
    Intel core 2 Quad Q6600
    4 Gigs G.Skill ram
    1 TB hard drive space (2x500 GB)
    Nvidia 9800GT video card w/ 512MB onboard

Wangtopia on
    Gaming related things:
    wangtopia.png
    sig.gif
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mike Danger you have a banjo and you don't play it?

FOR SHAAAAAAAAAAME

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That stack of books is my summer reading stack, mostly books about Scientology. I've been doing a lot of research on the topic.

Damn troublemaker.

anon1.jpg

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • WangtopiaWangtopia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    That stack of books is my summer reading stack, mostly books about Scientology. I've been doing a lot of research on the topic.
    Damn troublemaker.
    anon1.jpg

I never actually went to one of those, but those protests did spark my interest in the subject.

Wangtopia on
    Gaming related things:
    wangtopia.png
    sig.gif
    edited May 2009
    Wangtopia wrote: »
    Seeks wrote: »
    Damn troublemaker.
    anon1.jpg

I never actually went to one of those, but those protests did spark my interest in the subject.

I have a great intro to scientology book... it avoids all the cultish things and focuses on selling you balance and happiness. i am slightly obsessed with studying the practice. they have their own intelligence branch you know, so they are probably tracking both of us right now :)

useless4 on
    edited May 2009
    Kris wrote: »

If you are a child of the 80s you will remember we were lucky if we had a small lab of Apple IIs or old school Macs in elementary or middle school. And they had this huge list of things not to do like taking the floppy out when the light was on or eating or drinking ANYWHERE near the computers.

I remembered this randomly as I moved my brand new macbook pro closer to me so it held the pizza better.

My laptops die because I used to travel Xtreme style if you know what I mean.
    One time I had one loose a hard drive because it didn't go to sleep right and kept running safely tucked in a black brookhaven notebook sleeve surrounded by dirty clothes in a backpack in an African airport that hit 110 degrees while I was there.

This is going to sound cheesy, but I really think the movie Hackers opened up the idea that laptops are just tools and not some sort of "fruit of the ancient" (inside joke to an old computer game, if you know what game you get mad points) to be worshiped. That was the first movie where I saw stickers on them and have them all beat up and crap. When my mom saw it on dvd when it came out she said "wow it looks like your desktop"

I was the first person I know to use duct tape to hold a desktop together.

useless4 on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    People I know take care of their tools.

Just sayin'.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Got a new desk, not as robust as my old one, but it's actualy quite a bit more functional, as I can slide the keyboard over to work with the wacom.

Sorry for the huge blurry picture
    IMG_2173.JPG

kralizecc on
    In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's a shot of my mobile office while I'm here in South Korea:

3517280280_61b787c206_b.jpg

That box of tissues was there when I got here, I swear...

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In Darkness I Toil:
    3552755512_8534f14371_b_d.jpg
    Left to Right:Zune 30; Speaker; Macbook with 2.0 Core 2 Duo, 4g Ram, 500g HDD, RETARDED ASS MIGHTY MOUSE...; Tanqueray; PSP 1001 with CFW 5.00 M33-6 (mmmm homebrew goodness); and DS Light front and center with CycloDS card up and doing it's thing.
    3551947213_d60fb00aa5_b_d.jpg
    LtR: Delicious Tanqueray (With my Firewire Drive sneaking up behind it); PSP 1001; Speaker; 10 Gallon Fish Tank with no residents (or water atm); EEE 701 running Easy Peasy (because some folks shouldn't name operating systems); Bitch Choking Gloves; and Totally not a body... It's just a tarp covering all my camping gear.
    3552756594_06887f9388_b_d.jpg
    My DS Lite stole my Tanqueray Seal...
    3551948361_c0df7abfa4_b_d.jpg

Hoping to restock this fish tank with something bright and not evil like my other fish...

Also apologies for the Cell Picks, but my camera is without power cord...

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's a shot of my mobile office while I'm here in South Korea:

snip

That box of tissues was there when I got here, I swear...

Nice! How did you connect your laptop to the tv?

Impersonator on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    snip

Nice! How did you connect your laptop to the tv?

That's his Zune that is connected to the TV.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sorcery!

Impersonator on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey spooky, you ever get that zombie playground print?

I finally got mine, although all I could afford was the bizarrely-proportioned 13x19.

I've sized all these to 640x480, but spoilered 'em anyhow.
    Here it is (yes, a picture of a picture):
    IMG_0445.jpg

So here it is in the context of my room. Note that my daughter volunteered to play the part of a zombie.
    IMG_0434.jpg

The view from my chair, where I can contemplate the zombie apocalypse at my leisure:
    IMG_0450.jpg

But this is a workstation thread, so here's the "wall half" of it:
    IMG_0446.jpg

The "desk half":
    IMG_0447.jpg

The rest of the desk:
    IMG_0449.jpg

And by the time I was done shooting all this, my zombie daughter had caught up with me:
    BRAAAAINS!
    IMG_0441.jpg

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That is one hell of an awesome desk slacktron.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    0523091728.jpg

In all its glory.

Kamar on
    edited May 2009
    slacktron wrote: »
    Hey spooky, you ever get that zombie playground print?

Hells yeah! I just got back so I snapped a shot of it, with a playing card to demonstrate the HUGE:

3557839139_34f9db9b51.jpg

I love this thing.

spookymuffin on
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, FINALLY!

Mangaroo on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's a real thing?

Where do they sell 'em?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited May 2009
    They sell them at the artist's website:

http://www.jasonchanart.com/

spookymuffin on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love this thing.

That black matting looks terrific.
    That picture is worth every cent to me, too. I love the sense of place.
    No matter what is going on in my life or my environment, I can look at that picture and go to where the skies are blue behind clean white clouds. Where youthful friends can gather at a playground and team up to smite down an undead horde.

Good times, good times.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here is my room after its recent remodel:
    img3058qrl.jpg

img3059x.jpg

img3060a.jpg

img3061.jpg

img3062m.jpg

img3063y.jpg

img3064n.jpg

img3065e.jpg

img3066x.jpg

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    :^: for badass power strip. I came home from college to discover my father has stealth-installed a few huge ones from his place of business around the house, and have been having a good time discovering a surfeit of plugs where once there were few.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg