As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Show us your Workstation Thread] Keeping tissue boxes where they are

• ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just cleaned up my room and decided to take some pictures for proof so I might as well post em here. Featuring the same ugly curtains but a better chair, lighting and organization than the last pic. Also a blue elephant leaning on a rock and some overexposure.
    pacchaacp.jpg
    Mah things:
    aacdaaacp.jpg

And as an added bonus a closeup of the amplifier. Just because it looks cool.
    pacclaacp.jpg

Elos on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That amp does look cool.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    That amp does look cool.

I love vintage stereo stuff.

my old dorm room:
    img0181g.jpg

Amp and turntable (Sony STR-7065A and Pioneer something):
    img0184m.jpg

fshavlak on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's also a nice "vintage monitor" you have there.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have that same hamper. I think everyone has that hamper.

edit: terrible totp, someone post something good quick.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited July 2009
    BOOBIES!

spookymuffin on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BOOBIES!

that post matches the avatar quite well.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pretty sure I have one of the most, umm, unusual desks atm.
    We're in the process of moving, and have been all fucking month now, and this was what was available at the time when I was jonesing for a place for the pc.

desk

The house we're moving into was mostly vacant for about 7 years, and I had this to help with cleaning the 16 ft ceiling.

Roland_tHTG on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure there's a desk in that picture somewhere. I'll just take your word for it.

GPIA7R on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The ghost is sitting there, can't you see it?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited August 2009
    That's also a nice "vintage monitor" you have there.

Well that setup had a 21" crt on the left (not visible) a nice 19" LCD in the middle, and an old old 15 or 17" CRT on the right. Yeah, it was an old screen but it still worked, and with alot of my time being spent in matlab or solid modeling stuff, the real estate was nice to have. The two CRTs are long gone, the LCD will probably be a secondary screen when I start putting my new desk together in a few weeks.

fshavlak on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sharp Aquos 32D64U (Old by a couple months):
    hdtvclear.jpg

Newer pic, darker but Venture brothers makes up for it:
    hdtv.jpg

Comp:
    comp.jpg

You say you want Vintage!?:

Pioneer SX-3900:
    SX3900.jpg

Pioneer SX-3900 Receiver + Technics SB-7070 Linear Phase speaker system:
    SX3900&7070.jpg

Pioneer PL-518:
    turntbl1.jpg

Audio-Technica Precept Cartridge:
    cart.jpg

Model Number shot:
    turntbl2.jpg

I use the ASUS Xonar DX2 for digital source playback with the Vintage gear:
    asus_xonar_beauty.jpg

Just as a note: Yes the grilles on the woofers were not originally installed by Technics. It's just that we have dogs, and yeah. Better safe than sorry. Especially regarding speakers this rare and of this vintage.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited August 2009
    Oo! I think we have the same turntable!

edit: nope, mine's a 540 not a 518.

fshavlak on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man I love this thread.

I wish more people would post.

I love looking at other peoples cool things.

I myself have not posted because I always forget.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited August 2009
    You guys wanna see me station?

and Victor, please explain moar about the awesome old stuff. and that sound card.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just in case anyone missed this the last time I mentioned it...

Deskography

dodos on
    edited August 2009
    You guys wanna see me station?

and Victor, please explain moar about the awesome old stuff. and that sound card.

The Pioneer SX-3900 receiver can output 120 watts per channel. It came out back in 1980, and is actually the exact same model receiver that my dad bought back then. The thing is a beast, and can power truly heavy speaker systems like the HPM-100 and the Technics SB-7070 (Pictured).

Technics SB-7070 (4-way): These came out back in the late 70s, they can handle 120 watts RMS, and 180 peak. They are linearly phased so the full audio spectrum travels to your ear evenly. (High frequencies travel at a higher speed than lower frequencies). The audio produced by these speakers can only be described as extremely accurate. No color or 'flavor' is added to the audio source with these speakers. So basically, what you feed them is what you get. Shitty recordings will sound shitty, but excellently mastered audio is played as accurately as possible with these speakers. If a track doesn't have any bass to it, the massive 14" woofer will be unresponsive, and truly silent. But as soon as some heavy bass is introduced (if intended in the original recording), the 14" beast will come alive. Same with the other drivers in this speaker system.

These truly were a lucky find in the second hand store. Rare, accurate, vintage speakers that can handle a beast of an amp. It's like the planets aligned when I found them.

Pioneer PL-518: Just like the Pioneer SX-3900, this is the exact same model that my dad bought back then. Nothing much to say since it's a turntable. But it handles beautifully, and is pretty much the only turntable that doesn't jump, snap, and spaz out when automatically stopping a record. Very smooth playback.

Audio-Technica Precept Cartridge: This is actually the cartridge that my dad bought back then. It's the top of the line cartridge Audio-Technica released back in the late 70s/early 80s. Same deal as the the SB-7070, this cartridge was designed to accurately map out and playback the grooves of a record, while at the same time minimizing wear and tear due to the thinly cut elliptical stylus. The records I have sing with this cartridge/stylus combo.

Asus Xonar: This is the sound card I was waiting for as I was getting sick of the Creative bullshit that was happening earlier in Vista's life. I needed another sound card [that wasn't Creative], and fast. Luckily, ASUS released the Xonar right when I was starting to browse around. It's pretty much in the same league audio wise as the Auzentech sound cards. In some respects, it even surpasses those. The distortion on the Xonar is almost non-existent, it uses Burr-Brown DACs, can Mimick/Trick games into using EAX, and features DTS Connect and Dolby Live real-time encoding. And that's only three measly features I'm listing.

Drivers are excellent (Which was the main reason I was looking for another card/vendor). But since I was going to spend the money on another sound card, might as well get one that would be usable with the vintage gear I got, no? :) It even has relays for audio equipment protection, so it clicks like audio receivers/amps when you turn on your computer. :)

Needless to say the Xonar and the Vintage gear pair up nicely.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited August 2009
    So each speaker actually has 4 speakers on it? Awesome.

And does the Xonar (hate that name) do anything like Creative's Crystalizer to MP3s? Yeah, I know MP3s, Creative and "Crystalizer" are probably horrible cussing words for you (with all that sweet vintage and accurate stuff), but that feature on X-Fi cards really make stupid MP3s sound better, and I like it a lot.

Anyways, so you plug the turntable on the Xonar and output the Xonar to the Amp + Speakers? How are all that awesome stuff set up?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Only problem I have with Crystalizer is that it makes ride cymbal hits starker than they should be. Too trebley. Otherwise, it does a decent job of making things sound better.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited August 2009
    Yay, I'm not that ignorant then. At least MP3 files sound better.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Personally I'd bet money that the Crystalizer is a fancy term for a harmonic exciter circuit. The effect is popular enough there should be media player plugins to let non-creative owners do the same thing.

Rigor Mortis on
    edited August 2009
    So each speaker actually has 4 speakers on it? Awesome.

And does the Xonar (hate that name) do anything like Creative's Crystalizer to MP3s? Yeah, I know MP3s, Creative and "Crystalizer" are probably horrible cussing words for you (with all that sweet vintage and accurate stuff), but that feature on X-Fi cards really make stupid MP3s sound better, and I like it a lot.

Anyways, so you plug the turntable on the Xonar and output the Xonar to the Amp + Speakers? How are all that awesome stuff set up?

Well, the turntable is directly plugged into the SX-3900 receiver. I use the Xonar for all Digital sources, like FLACs, CDs, MP3s, etc. All analog sources are plugged directly to the receiver.

I'm not sure of any thing in the Xonar that is similar to the Crystalizer feature on the XFI cards though.

victor_c26 on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My new set up:
    NewDesktop.jpg
    My local college was getting rid of some extra stuff and I managed to pick up two monitors for 5 bucks each (one of them is the second monitor on the left side), and the desk ($10). I got rid of my old desk and put together that. I also managed to get a decent projector for $40. 600 some hours on the bulb. Works pretty good.

The left monitor I'm planning on using for music player/ IRC/ Internets while I game on the main monitor. If Winamp wasn't open, you could see a the Heavy Weapons Guy from the wallpaper you can see, but centered perfectly, so the medic doesn't crop in or anything. I went with the sideways set up because it leaves me with a lot more desk space that it would if it was sideways. Plus, the monitor totally could do it, so that was cool. I just need to paint over the Dell logo or something.

Soundboard on the side is a Behringer XENYX 802, plugged into (well, normally it is) my M-Audio Audiophile 192. Records pretty decently. Speakers are these. Which sounds surprisingly good for the price. Subwoofer is under the desk on the left there, used as a footrest, because that's how I roll.

Printer is on the table to the left of the desk.

I'll have to take some better pics once it is fully set up.

UEAKCrash on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TF2 junkie.

Impersonator on
    edited August 2009
    No way, man.

Definitely not.

That game sucks.

UEAKCrash on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are you saying that because you don't have a hat? smug.gif

Impersonator on
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I want a flatscreen for 5 dollars.

Joe Chemo on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Check Craigslist. Used 17" LCDs are a dime a dozen these days.

Azio on
    edited August 2009
    Azio wrote: »

I've got a dime.

spookymuffin on
    edited September 2009
    Are you saying that because you don't have a hat? smug.gif

I've got the Sniper's Trophy Belt.

SmugEmote.gif

UEAKCrash on
  • HranjHranj Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Azio wrote: »

I've never seen any even close to that cheap though. $5 is nuts. People want more than that for broken ones around here.

Hranj on
    Zune: Pirate Monkey
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm pretty new around here, but that wont stop me form posting my Workstation/room :P

Overview of my room. Including my workstation, old CRT television and consoles, my rather huge collection of Danish Donald Duck comics and my tarantulas and praying mantises 8-)
    DSC_0018.jpg

Colseup of my old Macbook, iPhone and and some coffee-brewing equipment :D
    I think there is a Leatherman and a pair of RayBans in there somewhere too.
    OHH... and my beloved stuffed Seagull :winky:
    DSC_0021.jpg

Philips TV, consoles and stuff!
    DSC_0020.jpg

Gaming chair and a lot of stupid peripherals. :oops:
    DSC_0017.jpg

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alright, I'll ask. Just how many bugs do you own?

Also, what are you watching on TV?

Also, STALKER!

Corak on
    I live!
    edited September 2009
    Its quite simple. There is a single bug in each terrarium except the one above my computer. That is were I keep my giant millipedes. My signature is actually a picture I took of one of them 8-)

Real names for the Bug-geeks out there :winky:
    I have two Brachypelma boehmei,
    one Grammostola rosea,
    two Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii,
    and a bunch of Archispirostreptus gigas and some Epibolus pulchripes.

And I don't know why the hell I was watching that TV-show. Its the danish version of Dancing With the Stars, and it is absolutely horrible D: They have reached 4th or 5th season, and they ran out of stars after the first one. So now its just semi-stars, soccer-players and people who came 2nd or worse in X-factor :?

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited September 2009
    That Disney DVD collection is awesome. What are they?

spookymuffin on
    edited September 2009
    Sadly they are not DVD's (which would be absolutely insane since there are 170 on that shelf D: ). They are just comic books. Its a special type of Donald Duck comic that is very popular here in Scandinavia and Northern Europe, but I couldn't find an american equivalent. But basically its just comic books with 256 pages each, and they cost $9.5.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited September 2009
    Ah, cool. Those look really nice all lined up like that.

spookymuffin on
  • ManDanceManDance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like going big....

http://my.picresize.com/354DFT07NL

It really is amazing how cheap projectors are getting.

ManDance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Its quite simple. There is a single bug in each terrarium except the one above my computer. That is were I keep my giant millipedes. My signature is actually a picture I took of one of them 8-)

Real names for the Bug-geeks out there :winky:
    I have two Brachypelma boehmei,
    one Grammostola rosea,
    two Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii,
    and a bunch of Archispirostreptus gigas and some Epibolus pulchripes.

And I don't know why the hell I was watching that TV-show. Its the danish version of Dancing With the Stars, and it is absolutely horrible D: They have reached 4th or 5th season, and they ran out of stars after the first one. So now its just semi-stars, soccer-players and people who came 2nd or worse in X-factor :?

I absolutely love the Creature speakers. I'm always tempted to get a set to use with my TV.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited September 2009
    Go ahead and do it! I absolutely love mine. They are surprisingly powerful despite their small size, and with a little tweaking they produce great sound quality. But of course the lack of a dedicated mid-tone speaker is problem, so I have a pair of Grado S60i headphones for more focused listening. :)

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277