As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Show us your Workstation Thread] Keeping tissue boxes where they are

• AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    azio you have my keyboard and mouse. my favorite ever...
    I liked them so much I bought two.
    how did you change the login background in vista?
    With LogonStudio by Stardock, which amazingly works without sitting in your tray and doesn't cost a cent.

Azio on
  • RhakyrRhakyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My parents took my camera with them on a trip so I had to use my phone.

I'm currently in my younger brothers old room and haven't taken down the wallpaper

I just got the monitor on the right the other day for $40, it has a bit of a scratch on LCD near the bottom right but it doesn't bother me much.

The A+ text book finally found some use and is working quite well as a stand for my older monitor.

DSC00060.jpg

Rhakyr on
    rhakyr.png
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is the workspace:
    DSC09061.JPG

Nothing special. Mac, PC, printer, 360, PS3

Directly above:
    DSC09056_1.JPG

Books, games, etc.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

hey man, be thankful for what you have. I have one of those things (what am I typing on ololol?)

eric. on
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    eric. wrote: »

hey man, be thankful for what you have. I have one of those things (what am I typing on ololol?)

Oh totally, what I meant was that I had to get rid of most my awesome old toys.

:(

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my cellphone doesnt get a connection up here so ill have to try to transfer the picture later. however i will describe my setup.

i have a cheap walmard partical board desk approx 4.5x2.3 ft. i have a razer tarantula keyboard on the sliding keyboard tray. ontop of the desk is my 24 inch benq monitor, my m518 mouse on a blue wavy mousepad. i have a 4.1 altec lansing speaker system which is set up in front of me. my tower is a thermaltake M9 which has a blue LED fan in the front and a side window with a few more blue LED fans, it sits to the left of my monitor. it seems most of my computer glows blue in some way or another. on top of my desk i have an empty napkin holder a bottle of whisky a can of peanuts a cup full of pens an aluminum cannon a can of deoderant and an unplugged lamp. my headphones (turtle beach 5.1s) usually sit ontop of my tower. my chair is an ergonomic mesh chair... most comfortable thing ever made.

Dunadan019 on
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    <waits for pic from Dunadan> I'm starting to get slightly pissed off with the blueness from my stuff too, the new powermate doesn't help too much but at least that just turns off when I close the monitor, but if my mac sleeps (usually when i sleep) it will pulsate, brightly too at night. The soundsticks's subwoofer are a different story but the light was pretty useful when i was living at halls with a room mate who absolutely hated the light (but was my revenge for his noisy comp)

Even though i have some sort of holder, im getting pretty sick of my headphone's cable while im wearing it, i just bought them for quite a bit more then i usually spend on headphones, so getting a wireless pair wont real sit well with my wallet but i was wondering if you guys had some sort of technique or tips to stop it from bugging you/destroying the headphones...

Also, new shiaatee

picture1az7.jpg

I'm loving how so many people have the vx/mx mouse (or at least i think they are)

Mangaroo on
  • Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I suggest taking the headphones and putting them on the other side of your desk, so the wire comes up at the other side. This forces the wire to go under your house-hand and cross your chest as you're wearing them, rather than just "hang" there and annoy/tickle your left arm. Keeps it from getting in your way and is simple.

EDIT: For grammar.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    I suggest taking the headphones and putting them on the other side of your desk, so the wire comes up at the other side. This forces the wire to go under your house-hand and cross your chest as you're wearing them, rather than just "hand" there and annoy/tickle your left arm. Keeps it from getting in your way and is simple.

I was pretty sceptical, but that's actually perfect, thanks a ton!

Mangaroo on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mangaroo wrote: »
    I'm loving how so many people have the vx/mx mouse (or at least i think they are)

I just got myself a new VX Revolution for my laptop as well, and am LOVING it. :D

Edit: Top of page FTL. D:

Kris on
    edited August 2008
    I suggest taking the headphones and putting them on the other side of your desk, so the wire comes up at the other side. This forces the wire to go under your house-hand and cross your chest as you're wearing them, rather than just "hand" there and annoy/tickle your left arm. Keeps it from getting in your way and is simple.

I was pretty sceptical, but that's actually perfect, thanks a ton!

Dude, I'm there with ya. Took me awhile to figure it out. A couple of my friends noticed this and did it too. Its a simple thing that helps tremendously. Life's just full of surprises :-P

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    ok i finally got a picture taken so im resurrecting this thread.

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w353/Dunadan019/0809081836.jpg

odd how that blue comes out

Dunadan019 on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks like that window was Photoshopped on.

Silvoculous on
    edited August 2008

why would i photoshop a window in........

no thats there, the grey on the right side of it is duct tape to seal against mosquitos

Dunadan019 on
  • prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

no thats there, the grey on the right side of it is duct tape to seal against mosquitos

I think they mean the window on your monitor, the white rectangle. At least that's the only thing that looks Photoshopped in the picture.

I know it's probably not, it just stands out.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

No, I'm just saying it's funny how that window is by far the brightest thing in the whole picture.

Silvoculous on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I feel kind of ashamed after looking at some of your guys' desks. But to be honest? I don't care. I don't have time to clean up my workspace between all my technologying and gaming. Plus I know where exactly where everything is, so it's totally organized as-is. :lol:

Edit: My floor isn't stained or anything, just cat hair and popcorn and harmless objects. I haven't vacuumed in a week or so.

mess1gn4.jpg
    mess2pd2.jpg
    mess3uc7.jpg

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited August 2008
    nice triple matching monitors - as im considering getting three, just wondering why the third is off? do you find that most of the time it is not needed and just distracts?

Mangaroo on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Probably also doubles as a primary display (or maybe just is the display) for the other machine ;).

Ego on
    Erik
    edited August 2008
    nice triple matching monitors - as im considering getting three, just wondering why the third is off? do you find that most of the time it is not needed and just distracts?

Third monitor is for my 2nd PC. The third PC (the smaller of the two HPs) doesn't get a monitor, though I have a 4th one in my closet! If I had another PCIe slot in my main PC I'd have 3 monitors up for awesome three-monitor gaming.

Even though all the monitors match, they are all completely different in color and brightness because the quality control sucks ass on those Dells. Luckily I got them for free so I'm not complaining.

Also, what you don't see, is my 4th PC which sits behind my 42" LCD TV. It plays all my movies and tv shows I record. :D

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hooray new monitor :D

Before:
    desk-before.jpg
    After:
    desk-after.jpg

The old CRT was so deep that I couldn't put it directly against the wall in front of me. So nice to be able to look straight ahead when I'm using my computer now.

exis on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The laptop and small desk forces me to keep it pretty clean.
    100_4676.jpg

the old TV stand next to my desk on the other hand...
    100_4677.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    hddesk.jpg

Oh god, my pants

Azio on
    edited August 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    hddesk.jpg

Oh god, my pants

Holy christ, that's an Aquos TV isn't it? I hate you.

Desert_Eagle25 on
    edited August 2008
    My parents shat bricks when they saw it. It really is an epic device. Flawless victory.

If it's any consolation I'm going to have to play shitty video games 12 hours a day for a month to pay for it.

Azio on
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    just felt like adding my living room setup. i've just moved in so the cables are still pretty visible all over the place, but you can see my 360 and wii to the bottom left. My IMac has connect360 so i watch all my movies/listen to my music through this system **quick edit this screen is 1500 lumens, i just had to turn on a handful of lights so you could see components
    img002.jpg

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The corner of my studio (sorry for the couch/AC/curtains in the foreground, I had to back up to get a wide enough shot):

MyDesk.Small.jpg

midgetspy on
    edited August 2008
    hey Azio what's this on the side panel?

5a5885c0da6495b819458cdpg6.th.jpg

Mangaroo on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The PowerBook is running the monitor, but I don't like using both screens at the same time and the (typing) keyboard is hooked up to the out-of-sight PC. The microphone boom makes for easy headphone cord management, though, and I recommend one even if you don't use it for a microphone.
    rdgdesk0808.jpg

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    The corner of my studio (sorry for the couch/AC/curtains in the foreground, I had to back up to get a wide enough shot):

im]

Odd question for the computer thread, but where'd you get the desk? I really want a corner desk like that one.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited August 2008
    hey Azio what's this on the side panel?
    epeenplusplus.jpg

Azio on
  • VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sweet jesus that aquos tv is amazing

Vladimer on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »

im]

Odd question for the computer thread, but where'd you get the desk? I really want a corner desk like that one.

I bought it used so I have no clue where it's from... sorry :-|

midgetspy on
    edited August 2008
    hddesk.jpg

Oh god, my pants

Holy christ, that's an Aquos TV isn't it? I hate you.

Some people say 1080p is useless on a 32" TV because most people won't see the difference across the living room.

You just blew their minds.

valar-moreshellus.png
    edited August 2008
    As much as I dislike to hog this thread further, it's not a 32.
    It's a 42.

Azio on
    edited August 2008
    It's a 42.
    Consider my mind blown too.

valar-moreshellus.png
    edited August 2008
    It's a 42.

I have the same one, but I use it for, you know, a TV.

Though I am definitely considering moving my PC to the living room. :lol:

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics my digital camera is put away and I don't want to dig it out.

IphonePics029.jpg

This is my desk with a bunch of crap on it. 23' samsung monitor w/ a custom built gaming pc.

IphonePics028.jpg

This is just to the left of me. 32' Samsung tv hooked into my tx2500 tablet laptop w/ an external HD for all my media needs.

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Get a bigger TV. Azio has raised the bar. ;-)

Kris on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    100_4675.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png