As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Show us your Workstation Thread] Keeping tissue boxes where they are

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »
    This is my desk at home, same as always.
    desk.jpg

What color is that wall paint? I really like it.

girlfriend wants to know about the thing you have framed above the monitor

I was having second thoughts about painting my bedroom a crazy color. Not as crazy as you, but that looks damn good.

Second thoughts partially dashed.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Seeks wrote: »
    I dunno, maybe moving the toilet paper out of frame would have made that a much less terrifying image.
    I don't want to know what you do in that chair.

Everything

...except right now I just have a cold.

It looks like my room looked like during college. Except I was too cheap to buy that high class dark Captain Mo's and survived on $5.99 bottles of Meier's brand rummy rum.

Malkor on
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alright, it has been about 3 months.

Now:
    1-3.jpg

NB: Cheap print outs for study motivation

3 Months ago:
    4e7db32e.jpg

Mangaroo on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like that plastic duct in the second one. Keep your guerrilla agriculture from being noticed?

TL DR on
  • KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like that plastic duct in the second one. Keep your guerrilla agriculture from being noticed?

I thought it was the tunnel the hamster took to the miniature theme park in the back yard.

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kaimaka wrote: »

I thought it was the tunnel the hamster took to the miniature theme park in the back yard.

I was thinking portable AC unit. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I hate that thing. It's a good thing it's winter. I have to have that tubing go out of the window, which leaves the window open so flies get through at night and so I have to stuff the window with pillows that get all wet and nasty with the rain...it's a good thing it's winter.

Mangaroo on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mangaroo wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate that thing. It's a good thing it's winter. I have to have that tubing go out of the window, which leaves the window open so flies get through at night and so I have to stuff the window with pillows that get all wet and nasty with the rain...it's a good thing it's winter.

Why don't you just cut up some cardboard to the shape of your window? A long rectangular piece with a hole for the vent would be simple.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Why don't you just cut up some cardboard to the shape of your window? A long rectangular piece with a hole for the vent would be simple.

Good idea, but wouldn't plywood be the better option for durability? Hey, if you have the money, Plexiglas or Lexan would be the best option.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Decius wrote: »

Good idea, but wouldn't plywood be the better option for durability? Hey, if you have the money, Plexiglas or Lexan would be the best option.

they sell bug netting you know. in a variety of lengths and sizes. that way you get to keep the advantage of the window being open (drafts) and lose the disadvantages (bugs)

edit: terrible totp

pabh on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    pabh wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »

they sell bug netting you know. in a variety of lengths and sizes. that way you get to keep the advantage of the window being open (drafts) and lose the disadvantages (bugs)

edit: terrible totp

Hardware stores also sell window screen that could be cut to fit the tube fairly easily.

TL DR on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like these threads. They give me a reason to clean up the massive amount of clutter on my desk so I can see the uh, desk. I hate my desk. Cheap 40bux piece of wallmart shit. When I move again I am going to get something that has more space for keyboard/mouse and dual monitors. Or a 42" LCD T.V. I also need to stop drinking and playing Xbox and start learning html/xml/asp etc etc. One of these days.
    DSCN1586.jpg

Oddjob187 on
  • dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That is pretty organized, but I still don't know how you have time for all of those things in the picture...web books, novels, games, and music? Call me crazy or you don't sleep.

dodos on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    dodos wrote: »
    That is pretty organized, but I still don't know how you have time for all of those things in the picture...web books, novels, games, and music? Call me crazy or you don't sleep.

Welp I got laid off on friday so I got plenty of time now instead of working on 5 hours of sleep while fitting all that jazz in.

Oddjob187 on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just moved my consoles into the computer room so I thought I'd contribute to the thread.

Also I know my lady friend is a crazy person, the hello kitty that is present is about half of what she has.

th-2.jpg
    th-him1.jpg
    th-her1.jpg
    th-gameplace.jpg
    th-toybooks.jpg

Aridhol on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Meat.

Also, how does your ladyfriend not knock all this shit off her monitor every time she sits down?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited November 2008
    Some people don't have the kind of grace exhibited by large dinosaurs Seeks.

Malkor on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. Honestly I just try to stay on my side and hold my book O meat to remind myself I'm a man.

Aridhol on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    2vt2j4g.jpg

Got a pair of 15" HP monitors for $69 each. Then, just before I went to check out, a lady came in and bought the old iMac (tray-loader) I was selling through the store. They subtracted that right from my subtotal, putting me at about $50 each for the monitors.

And I found a wallpaper after taking this that actually works across the three of them.

Silvoculous on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    000_0175.jpg

000_0176.jpg

And, no, the chair isn't practical, but I don't have anywhere to store it so thats where it gets to be. Cause no way in hell I'm getting rid of that thing. I love it.

Edit: OMG there huge! Sorry about that.

Burtletoy on
  • JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    New apartment, new workstation/room.
    100_4807.jpg

Now I just need to find a way to fill those shelves...

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    2vt2j4g.jpg

Got a pair of 15" HP monitors for $69 each. Then, just before I went to check out, a lady came in and bought the old iMac (tray-loader) I was selling through the store. They subtracted that right from my subtotal, putting me at about $50 each for the monitors.

And I found a wallpaper after taking this that actually works across the three of them.
    Please tell me you do triple-monitor gaming.

Rigor Mortis on
    edited November 2008
    Haven't tried it yet. Give me some recommendations.

Silvoculous on
    edited November 2008
    Haven't tried it yet. Give me some recommendations.
    I'm guessing you don't want to spend $350 for a Matrox TripleHead2Go, so I'll point you towards SoftTH, a free software-only hack that will (theoretically) work with most DirectX based games.
    http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/

Rigor Mortis on
    edited November 2008
    Couldn't get it to work. Unreal Tournament 2004 just operated normally and Halo freaked out and wouldn't boot at all.

It complicates things that the middle monitor is 1280x1024 and the two side ones are 1024x768.

Silvoculous on
    edited November 2008
    Couldn't get it to work. Unreal Tournament 2004 just operated normally and Halo freaked out and wouldn't boot at all.

It complicates things that the middle monitor is 1280x1024 and the two side ones are 1024x768.
    It should still work even with different ratios/sizes. Those 2 games might be impossible though.

(There are videos of youtube of people using monitors of different sizes. There's even a video of one guy who has an old 15" CRT turned on its side so the height matches up with his widescreen LCD, and it works properly with SoftTH.)

Rigor Mortis on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, it's a crappy phone picture, but it shall suffice.
    Now, does anyone want free clutter? I have plenty.
    Spoiler for the huge
    2v8j2ix.jpg

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Spoiler for the huge
    2v8j2ix.jpg

That is one very small tv you have.

Burtletoy on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Arg. I so want to post new room pictures but my girlfriend stole my camera for eBay purposes.

And I can't stoop to using my Camcorder's still feature or my Cell Phone because they're so shitty.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited November 2008
    (There are videos of youtube of people using monitors of different sizes. There's even a video of one guy who has an old 15" CRT turned on its side so the height matches up with his widescreen LCD, and it works properly with SoftTH.)

Then maybe I'm just doing it wrong. I'll try Call of Duty 4, maybe. I don't have any of the games that they showcased on the site.

Silvoculous on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Spoiler for the huge

Is that a SyncMaster 2443BW?

Ego on
    Erik
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    hddesk.jpg

Oh god, my pants

What desk is that? Link? :P

variant on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's the IKEA Jerker. They don't make it anymore, but apparently it has a cult following online. If you really want one your best bet is to watch Craigslist.

Azio on
    edited November 2008
    Heh, Jerker.

Man, just when you think people can't nerd out any harder, they come up with that shit.

Malkor on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is a great desk.

Azio on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    That is one very small tv you have.
    Well, that's for the old systems, so it's fine
    Ego wrote: »
    Is that a SyncMaster 2443BW?
    Yes it is, it works pretty well, and I got it for free for being in a CS:S tournament

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is my desk I use at work. Sorry for the poor image quality. All I had around was my cellphone camera, and they keep the lights off here.
    1227047710156kw9.jpg

That_Guy on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apologies for the flash, I prefer very low lighting in my room and it is half four in the morning, so no natural light to let in.

Dscf0510.jpg

Dscf0511.jpg

I love everything about my setup. I bought the desk at a nearby furniture store the day after we moved in... can't remember what it's called, or who designed it, but it's pure awesome.

Edit - resized teh hooge photographs.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited November 2008

Then maybe I'm just doing it wrong. I'll try Call of Duty 4, maybe. I don't have any of the games that they showcased on the site.

It does sometimes take massive tweaking :( And it's not always obvious which tweak you need. Try turning doHooking to 0 - sometimes SoftTH doesn't even load at all if it's set to 1.

Perhaps you could test it with the BMW M3 challenge - it's a free game BMW put out to promote their cars and it's super easy to get working with SoftTH
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/mseries/m3coupe/2007/experience/game/content.html

Rigor Mortis on
    edited November 2008
    I've given up on that endeavor, actually. It wasn't so much the monitors as it was the second video card I had to install in my system - it messed things up for me on various levels. Call of Duty 1 wouldn't even start. Screen recording in Fraps/Camtasia was humiliatingly slow. Driver updates only caused massive artifacts to appear on the second card's screens.

I'm just going to get this instead.

Silvoculous on