As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'08 Console Tournaments: Rules & Info

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    people get so touchy about tournaments
    yeah, especially when you get the biggest music game since dance dance revolution and expect there to be a tournament in it, so you train for 9 MONTHS! :lol:

ok, just one more thing: i wasn't expecting a 3 or 4 person per team tourney, i was thinking a drum tourney and maybe a guitar tourney. as for the drums braking, people usually bring their own gh guitars, and the ones provided are usually reasonably jacked up, so that shouldn't be any kind of new issue. with that being said, i look forward to hearing of some unofficial tourney.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If this is part of the TBA sections of the tournament, I'm sorry.

For Smash Brothers Brawl, what controls will be used? Would it be safe to assume a Wiimote/Nunchuck combination?

-
    Zig21 wrote: »
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Is it possible yet to confirm if we are able to choose our play/control style for Brawl, or will that come with the rules? (i.e. wii-mote, GC controller, classic controller, etc)

At this team, I plan on allowing players to use whichever controller they prefer.

there's your answer, and with a scottish accent!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sadly, it's another weird "transition" year. By now I was hoping we'd have more fun, new tournament games compared to last year, but this console generation has been fairly disappointing in that regard.

Fair enough, but last year was a transitional year as well, yet we still had tournaments from the generation before. I think only having four is a bummer, and the loss of Double Dash a tragedy.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Posted scheduled hours for each tournament. Keep in mind that these are subject to change and usually do, but you still need to show up at the posted time.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Schedule
    Friday, August 29th
    3:30pm~3:00am -- Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)

3:30pm to 3:00am!? Holy fuck! This is gonna be a long ass shift. D:

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    QuickSnap wrote: »

Schedule
    Friday, August 29th
    3:30pm~3:00am -- Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)

3:30pm to 3:00am!? Holy fuck! This is gonna be a long ass shift. D:

o_O

shit PAX doesn't even open on Friday until 2pm right? Guess I know what I'm doing the second I get in the building.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can vouch for Mario Kart Wii being a failure in getting more than 4 people playing. Even if we played WiFi we would be restricted to 2 players per television. When I threw a video game party a month ago and obtained three Wiis I was very disappointed to discover there was no easy way to play 12-player MKW.

So for no MKW, just blame Nintendo on this one.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The end time for Smash is just a placeholder. Since it's the only tournament on Friday, I intend to take my time.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The end time for Smash is just a placeholder. Since it's the only tournament on Friday, I intend to take my time.

that makes me feel a bit better. As much as I want to duke it out with other Brawlers, I don't want to spend the whole day in the tournament room. I was in a really big tournament that Gamespot held like a month or two ago and it was awesome, but I'm sure this will be much better.
    (except the whole 1vs1 part :P)

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    panda-panda- Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    when's the PC tourney info being realeased? CS:Source this year? ;)

panda- on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm not the one to ask.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zig, are you aware if bungie will be doing the griffball tournament? Also, is there any freeplay slots specifically open for their challenge for recon armor?

http://digg.com/xbox/PAX_announced_Grifball_Intergalactic_World_Championships

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have nothing to do with that, sorry.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks anyhow. Sounds like its going to suck if they don't have official tournament support.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    redeyejediredeyejedi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zig, are you aware if bungie will be doing the griffball tournament? Also, is there any freeplay slots specifically open for their challenge for recon armor?

this is all the info you've been given for the recon challenge.

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid14894

redeyejedi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    panda- wrote: »
    when's the PC tourney info being realeased? CS:Source this year? ;)

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=64970

The thread was just posted, PC tourney info to be announced by the end of the week.

BTW a grifball tourney would be epic! Maybe there will be some action in their booths or in the freeplay room.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    dfndfn Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    This is my first PAX...so I apologize if this is common knowledge.

For the SC4 tourney, do you bring own controller/joystick, or just use what is provided?

Is there a place to sit while you play, or is it standing only? Might seem like a silly question, but it is related to the first one, and also the way I will have to hold the controller standing vs. sitting ;-)

dfn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    real at I wanna say great job to the staff at PAX good job getting the wheels really turning in the last 48 hours you have announced the expo hall booths (things) and the tournements! You guys are reminding me that pax is just weeks away and I cannot wait, there seems like this year is about to hella rock (just don't follow e3, yes I am talking to you nintendo!)

As far as people complaining, yeah I understand (kinda) but really look at the pre pax tournments join up there!

As far as freeplay is going do they do tournments as well because last year was the only year I havedobe tournments and I don't go to the big ones (besides gears) I skipped mario kart, gh ii, and smash bros because I didn't want to waste time so does freeplay also do tournements because I remeber being in like 3 last year and still had fun!

And again, great job staff, this pax is about to be ephick!

Huh? Where?

redeyejedi on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    dfn wrote: »
    This is my first PAX...so I apologize if this is common knowledge.

For the SC4 tourney, do you bring own controller/joystick, or just use what is provided?

Is there a place to sit while you play, or is it standing only? Might seem like a silly question, but it is related to the first one, and also the way I will have to hold the controller standing vs. sitting

You have to bring your own first party controller, stand on a foot stool on one foot while playing the piano with the other foot. You also have to continuously recite that alphabet during the entire fight. If you miss a letter you forfeit and your piano foot is cut off.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure controllers are provided, but you can bring your own and that you can sit down. But you'll have to wait for Zig to be 100% on those.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Correct, you can bring your own controller if you want on one condition: it must be wired. No wireless 360 controllers are allowed. If you don't/can't bring your own, we will provide a wired 360 pad. And yes, you get to sit.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You're too nice to these people, Zig. I'd make them stand... above a pool of rabid piranhas.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Yes, piranhas....that bleed acid!

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bleed? But that would require the player to actually cut them. No not bleed. They should spit acid.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Dammit Moe, you're killing my buzz.

OK, back on topic!

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

you can challenge luke and shiska for recon at the bungie booth.

ANd roosterteeth will be hosting the grifball tournament.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I appreciate your guys' enthusiasm, but please limit discussion of the Bungie event to related threads.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mavrick88 wrote: »

you can challenge luke and shiska for recon at the bungie booth.

ANd roosterteeth will be hosting the grifball tournament.

I gotta wonder where your getting your info from. If all you have to do is walk up (and wait in a huge line) to challenge for recon, then , Wont everyone be waiting in line for recon and who will play in any tourneys?

Sorry for the off topic bungie post but I just created a bungie thread.

redeyejedi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Then maybe you should make one.:P

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I appreciate your guys' enthusiasm, but please limit discussion of the Bungie event to related threads.
    are you trying to suggest that people on this forum should, nay can, stay on topic?!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    oh come on it's not like every other thread in this forum hasn't randomly gone off topic at some point already. :P

and to whoever said "in the last 48 hours you have announced the expo hall booths (things)," umm... that was like weeks ago, lol

BTW Moe, I like your ideas. That should totally be the last round of the Omegathon this year!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Zig is really all about serious on-topicness. He really doesn't fit in with the rest of this forum :P

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zig....please...*gasp*...can't breath...need Double Dash tournament...*cough* *wheeze*

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    duderdude2 wrote: »
    zig....please...*gasp*...can't breath...need Double Dash tournament...*cough* *wheeze*

yeah yeah yeah, i suffer from the same affliction, but the only prescription....is rock band drums tourney!!! :winky: atleast staying on topic of whining and hating zig for his choices! wait, what was this thread about, again?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A drums tourney would be hot... literally. You'd have to do it in a very well ventilated room.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Out of curiousity... why no Gears? It supports split screen and network play, and you did it last year. Seems different enough from Halo.

I'm not bitching, I'm just a little dissapointed in only 4 tournaments. The 4 chosen are certainly quality, but I think there couple have been more :(

Edit: Yes I completely understand everything Zig has said so far. It doesn't make it hurt any less.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    jack knifejack knife Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am devastated to hear that there will be no Double Dash tournament. I suspected there would be no Mario Kart Wii tournament due to the various limitations (although there is a way to transfer saves: http://www.wiisave.com/ ), but no Mario Kart at all?

Zig, if there were enough sets of Gamecubes and accessories, could Double Dash return for PAX '08? I live in the Seattle area, and I can already contribute three full sets (Gamecube, 4 controllers, MK-DD, network adapter), and I will look around to find or buy more. I'm sure there are others who would do the same!

All year, I have been looking forward to PAX '08 for the MK-DD tournament. I will not give up on this year so easily!

jack knife on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like how everyone is complaining about there only being 4 tournaments but are ignoring the huge player caps that these have...

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    People apparently don't care about player caps for tournaments they don't want to be in.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People apparently don't care about player caps for tournaments they don't want to be in.

Ding, ding, ding. Look, all 4 games are games I both own and love. But I am so far from a competitive skill level in them it's not even funny. There are plenty of games I don't suck at, but those were already mentioned by other players and shot down. It's cool though, I am hoping PC does not dissapoint!

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Heres an idea.

They dont have to be in them :wink:

For the tournaments I see 4 games that are very popular and will fill up quickly.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
This discussion has been closed.