As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek Online - Engage!

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When a guild hall has something useful in it people tend to use them.

The problem is many MMOs just give you a stupid empty hall and say have fun.

Accualt on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    When a guild hall has something useful in it people tend to use them.

The problem is many MMOs just give you a stupid empty hall and say have fun.

I'm a big fan of making them attackable and capturable. WAR doesn't even *need* guild halls, it has keeps, but as soon as I get a chance to plant my flag in one I'm probably never going to want to leave.

SammyF on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    in-guild merchants would be very useful.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I preferred the earlier idea of having your ship itself be a guild hall. the flagship of your guild anyways.

a galaxy class ship is pretty friggin' big after all

also the best places in socialize in swg were onboard the luxury liner ships and you'd get the pilot to cruise by cool nebulas and planets and shit as you messed around inside.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, lots of vitriol popped up.
    Why does EvE keep coming up as the end-all, be-all of space MMOs? EvE is hella boring.

Because it's the only successful one? And considering most people seem to hate eve, I'm not sure where you're getting this opinion from.
    Chances are the game is going to be super shallow and a knock off of EvE online though since many MMO's seem to just look at what is popular then just copy it and add in something they say is revolutionary but in all actuality its just some cocked up thing we've already seen just renamed to something else.

Chances are every game is going to be crap, but that's not a useful contribution to anything.
    Hmm. No multiplayer ships. Okay. The away-team section better be pretty goddamned compelling, then, because we already *have* EvE Online.

Do you think that's seriously the only thing they could change from Eve? Did you ever play it?

I mean seriously, come on people. They weren't going to require you to have a full complement of players to man a ship any more than WoW is going to require people to start playing on 40 man raids. It's not viable at all.

There's lots of things they can do to differentiate themselves from Eve as well, even without that. Eve is a game based primarily around pvp and holding territory, whereas Star Trek seems to be based more on exploration and pve.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Earth and Beyond was different than EVE in that it didn't bore and confuse me out of the game in ten minutes.

Scooter on
    edited August 2008
    just because its the most popular mmo in a genre of mmo's that has a lackluster history at best, doesn't mean it isn't possible to do better

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ceno wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a goddamn bloodbath over there.

The basement-dwellers want ships that can ONLY function if crewed entirely by other players. Like, some guy would be captain and he would give orders and then the rest of them would play little Puzzle Pirates-like minigames on their consoles in order to do stuff. Because that sounds fucking thrilling. Oh, you get the steer the ship and fire the phasers while I monitor energy readouts from a nearby nebula? Fuck you. And that's just the beginning of the insanity.

They also think anyone who doesn't know everything there is to know about Star Trek is an incompetent douchebag who should die in a fire.

I'd fuck the Borg chick.

Does that count?

Who wants to be Henry Kim?

WHO WANTS TO BE HENRY FUCKING KIM?!

Cade on
    edited August 2008
    do you mean harry?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2008
    He never amounted to much, he doesn't deserve to be called by his proper name.

Cade on
    edited August 2008
    "sorry harry, can't promote you, no places or something like that"

"but Paris, the ex-con observer just got promoted to lieutenant.."

"do you want to be demoted?"

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Harry got royally shafted.

Glal on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The best thing about Harry was in the Elite Force game.

It was immensely satisfying to shoot up Voyager's crew on-board, then watch them all beam-in and you phaser the shit out of them. When you were eventually killed, you wound up in the brig, and one character (that you didn't kill) would come up and tell you off.

Harry Kim's line?

"I guess this means you won't be playing in woodwind band anymore"

and then your character puts his head in his hands and starts to cry.

Lewisham on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Earth and Beyond was different than EVE in that it didn't bore and confuse me out of the game in ten minutes.

Only take your 5?

Because that game was boring and extremely repetitive. Not to mention broken. Also unsuccessful.

Comahawk on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, Harry got royally shafted.

Harry is almost the only unobjectionable character in that whole series, which incidentally started running on TV last night here in the UK. Oh and thanks to whoever linked that episode capsule - that took up ten minutes of my life and almost made me start hating Star Trek. Pretty funny stuff though I will admit

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited August 2008
    Poor poor Kim, even in the future episode when he is a captain it's of a science ship called the USS Rhode Island.

Cade on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    Poor poor Kim, even in the future episode when he is a captain it's of a science ship called the USS Rhode Island.

Yeah even in the future they pretty much stick him with the equivalent of a cheap Chinese knock off for a space ship. "Here you go Kim, you can captain the USS Cannon Fodder, have at it!"

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited August 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »

Only take your 5?

Because that game was boring and extremely repetitive. Not to mention broken. Also unsuccessful.

Only "unsuccessful" in that it had the misfortune to get acquired by EA, the company responsible for like 2/3rds of all major NA MMO shutdowns.

Scooter on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey guys, guess what announcing the potential closure of your MMO will do to your subscriber numbers. No, they won't go up, believe me.

Cynic Jester on
    edited August 2008
    7 of 9 was still the best because of you know, tits.

still have no idea how they managed to get her to hook up with chakotatee lakota. I was all expecting him to get it on with janeway at the end

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    20080813.jpg

!

DiscoZombie on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Only take your 5?

Only "unsuccessful" in that it had the misfortune to get acquired by EA, the company responsible for like 2/3rds of all major NA MMO shutdowns.

Also because people got bored of playing it, they never fixed the problems with trade and a good chunk of the quests were broken. Also a total lack of pvp (that gather the ball shit was dumb)

Comahawk on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Harry was whiny and boring.

Kind of sad that the best character on that show was a hologram.

CyberJackal on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Only take your 5?

Also because people got bored of playing it, they never fixed the problems with trade and a good chunk of the quests were broken. Also a total lack of pvp (that gather the ball shit was dumb)

I had fun playing it. Fun. Sure, it didn't have PvP. It had cool PvE though. Excellent crafting system. Nice community. Dynamic events. Awesome, evolving storyline. The EnB emu project is one I can't wait to see results from because for all its perceived faults, it was fun to play. That it had the luck of being taken over by EA was what killed it, not issues with the game.

Cynic Jester on
    edited August 2008
    Harry was whiny and boring.

Kind of expected that the best character on that show was Robert Picardo.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited August 2008

Only take your 5?

Which again can be pointed to EA for. Their dev funding was shut to bare maintenance level well before the cancelation announcement.

The only design problem I had with the game was the overlong travel times.

Scooter on
    edited August 2008
    If they could take the fun parts of Eve and make a game out of it, that would be awesome.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All I can say is:

There had fucking better be PvP in this game.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All I can say is:

Will there be PvP?
    Yes. We plan for a faction vs. faction PvP ruleset, but there are also plans for a competitive PvE mechanic.

Will there be PvP, PvE and RP rule set servers?
    There will not be separate servers. Open PvP will be restricted to designated sectors of space (far-off reaches of unclaimed territory). Consensual PvP and competitive PvE will occur between the realm borders (the Neutral Zone), where players will be competing over territory and resources with the option to PvP.

Akinos on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Only take your 5?

Which again can be pointed to EA for. Their dev funding was shut to bare maintenance level well before the cancelation announcement.

The only design problem I had with the game was the overlong travel times.

Earth and Beyond had a solid base level of gameplay to it. I couldn't really have cared less about the lack of pvp, and there's a huge market of players that feel the same way.

It needed more exploration, more story-related quests, and perhaps some instancing for events.

Meanwhile EVE tries its very best to make 95% of the people who try it, quit. And then you do try to get into the good stuff, like mass combat between corps, and then hey, lagbomb city and an exploded ship.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Akinos wrote: »
    All I can say is:

Will there be PvP?
    Yes. We plan for a faction vs. faction PvP ruleset, but there are also plans for a competitive PvE mechanic.

There will not be separate servers. Open PvP will be restricted to designated sectors of space (far-off reaches of unclaimed territory). Consensual PvP and competitive PvE will occur between the realm borders (the Neutral Zone), where players will be competing over territory and resources with the option to PvP.

Fuck that shit, I want to fly a cloaked ship up to the Federation docking bay and gank the shit out of those whiny bastards.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Only take your 5?

I had fun playing it. Fun. Sure, it didn't have PvP. It had cool PvE though. Excellent crafting system. Nice community. Dynamic events. Awesome, evolving storyline. The EnB emu project is one I can't wait to see results from because for all its perceived faults, it was fun to play. That it had the luck of being taken over by EA was what killed it, not issues with the game.

EnBEmu actually has gotten it to a "playable state" now. I was able to run it but it's very buggy and locks up easily.

Anyway, as far as EnB is concerned: the core gameplay was actually really good and many of its systems have been and are begging to be copied by other future endeavors. I do not deny that many aspects of it were broken as it was certainly a small scale project and also, on the scale of things, one of the earlier MMO contenders.

The reasons "it never got fixed" were because that very, very early in its development, before it was scheduled to shut down, EA had already yanked funding considerably at the announcement and increasing hype of SWG, to divert it into The Sims Online.

EnB's dynamic events, ever changing game world, and unique visual style I think are the reasons why I and many others who stuck it out regard it as highly underrated as video games go. It actually did what many MMO's claim to do but really never follow through on, specifically having a cohesive and consequential story arc that affects the game world in a significant fashion. It provides a level of immersion that is rarely rivaled.

Jasconius on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Having played both E&B and EvE, I'd add that it also incorporated many of the basic design functions of the later game and succeeded in doing it first. The major departure of EvE was shying away from the factions in favor of dynamic, player-organized corporations and used this, combined with PvP, to allow for emergent narrative instead of scripted narrative. There are pros and cons to both approaches (but I definitely like both better than the static amusement-park type MMO worlds).

SammyF on
    edited August 2008
    Akinos wrote: »
    All I can say is:

Will there be PvP?

Fuck that shit, I want to fly a cloaked ship up to the Federation docking bay and gank the shit out of those whiny bastards.

:^: Especially with that crowd.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aren't we past ganking?

Akinos on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I see a dire need for a red alert/shields up macro...

Tach on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tach wrote: »

"Target anything that moves and fire! We're getting out of here ali...."

"The transmission ended there sir."

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »

"Target anything that moves and fire! We're getting out of here ali...."

"The transmission ended there sir."

Lt. Leeroy.

"At least I got Gagh"

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I could see the tutorials flowing from the Academy, learning how to move and fly a ship, learning how to order your crew around... the occasional kegger. Then finally graduating and you get your first ship... and promptly go the wrong way and fly into the space station destroying your first ship and everyone else around you.

Then suddenly you respawn with your ship and...

yeah, this is really going to suck.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love how people always lay into Eve about needing to use excel to play it.

Now I've been playing eve for two years and never even used an excel sheet. I don't think you were playing the game right guys.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg