As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

10000 Years From Now

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Space travel will become technologically simple; space habitation, however, will never grow. Much like Antarctica today, humanity will find vacuum to be perpetually inhospitable, suited only to ventures of scientific inquiry.

this is exactly how i feel

i think space colonization is a bunch of romanticized dickwaving.

space is full of death and nothing and rocks and also death

there is nothing worth going out there physically to do that we can't do with probes and robots and stuff

nothing except egomania and fanciful sci fi notions.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    like seriously

say we discover some radically useful mineral on... oh let's pull a popular one out of my ass... Titan

let's say we find some kind of rad superfuel on Titan that somehow made actually going to Titan not a complete fucking waste of resources just to get it

something that totally made the journey worth it

why in the name of christ can't we just get fucking robots to do it

Pony on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Space is not a place for people

I'm surprised life arose at all, a one in ten bazillion chance

....out of countless of potential chances across the universe

Our own existence is an anomaly, not the frozen space rocks floating in an incomprehensibly big sea of nothing. That space rock in on par for the course.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    it's like all those terraforming mars faggots

i want to shit in their breakfast cereal boxes and leave them on the counter

god stop wasting science you tards

it'll never happen

it'll never be worth doing

if for no other reason than gravity and what it does to human bones.

Pony on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man we gotta leave sooner or later or build a Dyson sphere and work on the sun

your call mister build a fucking Dyson sphere

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why..... would we try and change the environment to suit us?

Much more efficient to change ourselves to suit the environment.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    Man we gotta leave sooner or later or build a Dyson sphere and work on the sun

your call mister build a fucking Dyson sphere

no, we don't

we don't have to leave ever

this isn't like you gotta move out of your dad's house to grow up

this is our planet

the only place in the universe that can sustain us

and don't give me that "run out of resources" or "run out of space" shit

if we got technology to go anywhere valid or get resources from fucking anything off this planet then we got the same technology to bring that shit here and fix what we got

Pony on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    There's like a million different factors that need to be absolutely perfect for human survival. You've got a very narrow band of habitable temperatures we don't freeze or burn up in. You need a very specific atmospheric composition for us to breathe at a limited range of pressure for us to not get crushed in. You need a number of elements and minerals in certain quantities, cycling through the planet at a certain rate, so that we don't overconsume before they replenish.

So I guess theoretically there's another straight-up habitable planet(s) out there, but chances our one has too much Argon and another didn't collect enough iron when it was forming, etc.

So I guess if we can transplant our brains into low-maintenence shells, we'll be aces

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    In ten thousand years.

Anything is possible.

We could be living on an alien planet where all the plants are made of chocolate

or inhabited by blue alien space babes who pleasure humans for sport

but in all these possibilities

of all the things that could potentially happen I know one thing is certain

pony will still type posts

one thought per line

over

and

over

and no matter what

people will bitch about it

in post like this

until the whole is so fucking tired

that nobody cares anymore

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    t4wdqr.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    There's like a million different factors that need to be absolutely perfect for human survival. You've got a very narrow band of habitable temperatures we don't freeze or burn up in. You need a very specific atmospheric composition for us to breathe at a limited range of pressure for us to not get crushed in. You need a number of elements and minerals in certain quantities, cycling through the planet at a certain rate, so that we don't overconsume before they replenish.

So I guess theoretically there's another straight-up habitable planet(s) out there, but chances our one has too much Argon and another didn't collect enough iron when it was forming, etc.

So I guess if we can transplant our brains into low-maintenence shells, we'll be aces

yeah, fuck that

i say, fuck this nihilistic chicken little bullshit that says we'll "use up" our world

or that we've "wrecked it"

have we damaged the world? sure.

but listen, you could nuke every corner of earth

everywhere

just smother the whole fucking thing in fallout and you know what?

it'd still be orders of god damn magnitude more habitable than anywhere else in the universe we know of or could get to.

if we've got magic subspace drives that can break lightspeed, then we've got the same fucking arthur c. clarke bullshit technology to fix the earth, too

and all the god damn sci fi fags rubbing their dicks in between their pages of asimov magazine can shut the hell up, help out, or ship the fuck off

what the fuck kind of world is it where i'm the god damn optimistic one

Pony on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    like seriously

say we discover some radically useful mineral on... oh let's pull a popular one out of my ass... Titan

let's say we find some kind of rad superfuel on Titan that somehow made actually going to Titan not a complete fucking waste of resources just to get it

something that totally made the journey worth it

why in the name of christ can't we just get fucking robots to do it

We should harvest Helium-3 from the moon. I look forward to that day.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That being said, I guarantee we'd adapt to a different environment if we had to. You dump some people on a rock with low levels of oxygen, and they'll do something about it. Evolve naturally, evolve artificially, pump oxygen into the atmosphere. Something. It's what we do.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That being said, I guarantee we'd adapt to a different environment if we had to. You dump some people on a rock with low levels of oxygen, and they'll do something about it. Evolve naturally, evolve artificially, pump oxygen into the atmosphere. Something. It's what we do.

of course, but why do that if we ain't gotta?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I just view it as "Wellp, we all went and screwed it up. I guess that's what happens when something removes itself from the natural ecosystem."

Big interesting experiment in evolutionary paradigms

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    I just view it as "Wellp, we all went and screwed it up. I guess that's what happens when something removes itself from the natural ecosystem."

and i wish people would shut up with that shit

it's defeatist

it's holding out for the Holy Ghost of Carl Sagan to step down from the Palace of Celestial Science with rockin' guitars and show you how to colonize distant worlds and break the speed of light.

Oh wait, that'll never fucking happen.

So why not use science for things that are useful?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    i say, fuck this nihilistic chicken little bullshit that says we'll "use up" our world

I.... wasn't saying that. We're not going to use up this planet. I'm saying there are planets we straight up cannot use up, because they don't have anything we can use.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    I'm also curious as to how all this nanites stuff is going to turn out, and whether it's all a bunch of hopeful crap as well.
    deus-ex.jpg

...right?

My vision is augmented.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I.... wasn't saying that. We're not going to use up this planet. I'm saying there are planets we straight up cannot use up, because they don't have anything we can use.

i wasn't saying that was what you were saying

just because i quoted you doesn't mean i was directly talking to you

i was really just building off what you were saying

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Defeatist? Maybe, sure

But it's damn interesting to chart how human history worked out regarding biological evolution, and where it might end up

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

of course, but why do that if we ain't gotta?

That's the key.

China sent boats to Africa like a gazillion years before the Europeans found the Americas. I saw it on the history channel. The reason you don't see Chinamen in Madagascar, however, is that the purpose of the trip was to fuckin' collect exotic animals and shit for the king of whatever dynasty was dickin' around at the time.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Well now, you can't say that. We don't know that.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    also

before anyone (TFS) even starts

in no way is space exploration or colonization comparable to the travels of mankind across earth.

for one thing, there were actually things of value to find and acquire and places to live when you explored.

the age of true human exploration died. the future will not be on the backs of intrepid gentlemen with distinguished mustaches planting flags on distant stone. it will be on probes, robotic explorers, and eventually, automated collection and refining systems.

there's exactly zero things a human can do in space exploration that we can't build a robot or probe to do, except make us feel like we're conquering something.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    But I can dream, dammit

What was the shit in Spelljammer? Phlogiston?

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Well now, you can't say that. We don't know that.

i don't believe faster than light travel will happen ever.

period.

so yes, i can say that

with some certainty.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    except make us feel like we're conquering something.

Dude, this is exactly why you will see crews of men go with those probes and analyzers to plant flags and drop plaques on the ground. Human beings love doing this stuff.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    But I can dream, dammit

keep your dreams in the funnybooks and the squawkbox, peaches

keep em outta the damn lab

real men are doing science in there, and they are building a robot that's going to look for evidence of extraterrestrial life

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Let's all just go to Sigil and call it a day.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    But I can dream, dammit

keep your dreams in the funnybooks and the squawkbox, peaches

real men are doing science in there, and they are building a robot that's going to look for evidence of extraterrestrial life

Hey, I'm not saying I disagree with you. Just that I like to think of how cool it would be if it were at all possible.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    except make us feel like we're conquering something.

Dude, this is exactly why you will see crews of men go with those probes and analyzers to plant flags and drop plaques on the ground. Human beings love doing this stuff.

and i think it's pathetic and holds us back as a species, is what i think.

i think when they are wasting time and resources on figuring out how to get a guy on mars and back without his bones turning to goo or him going batshit crazy or dying horribly or wasting fuel they could be doing something valid and useful.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    territorial

my patch of fruit trees

my mating partner

my agricultural land

my planet

mine mine mine mine

we evolved to want to plant that flag for a very good reason regarding spreading our genetics

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    in the grim darkness of the future there is only war.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    in the grim darkness of the future there is only war.

Yeah.

Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz...

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Pony, I seriously doubt that there is this huge problem in the scientific community. It's not like Virgin Airlines has stripped those guys over at the cancer research foundation of valuable scientists to go work on the orbital tourism ship.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    territorial

my patch of fruit trees

my mating partner

my agricultural land

my planet

mine mine mine mine

we evolved to want to plant that flag for a very good reason regarding spreading our genetics

spreading our genetics to what?

highly irradiated dead stone that might illicit some handy helium-3 or some shit?

we evolved to conquer our planet.

to think of space as a logical extension of that evolution is ridiculously fucking stupid

might as well go hump the ice of greenland

Pony on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wait, wait. what? eventually there is going to come a point where colonization is necessary.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    and i think it's pathetic and holds us back as a species, is what i think.

Funny, I think that this sort of absolute scientific utilitarianism you're preposing is harmful to the species.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Pony, I seriously doubt that there is this huge problem in the scientific community. It's not like Virgin Airlines has stripped those guys over at the cancer research foundation of valuable scientists to go work on the orbital tourism ship.

right now

right now, as i am typing on these internets

nasa has an entire department of people they are sinking millions of dollars a year into for no other reason than to figure out how to put men on mars.

for no fucking reason!

it's retarded.

i don't generally get incensed about people wasting money

let em waste money however they want

it's their money

i just get annoyed with space colonization because it's so utterly worthless and baseless and damaging to human progress.

Pony on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

My vision is augmented.

I could see some going through the whole process just so they can wear shades at night.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    wait, wait. what? eventually there is going to come a point where colonization is necessary.

no, there isn't.

Pony on