As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Funny how things present themselves at the worst times (Girl Thread)

GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM!ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm in a bit of a situation right now, and I'm hoping I can get some advice from people who aren't involved in any of it. Let's start from the beginning.

Last night, I went to a girl's (for the purpose of this thread we will call her Lauren) house with some other friends, two girls and a guy (again, for the purpose of this thread, we'll call them Valerie, Betty, and Jim). Basically we were just gonna drink the night away and have a fun time.

About an hour and a half into our extravaganza, all of us except Jim are rather tipsy, and we realize that WE ARE GONNA RUN OUT OF ALCOHOL. Somebody's gotta go get some! So we send Jim, the sober one, and the only one who can drive, with Lauren and Valerie to the liquor store, about a ten minute drive.

I am left with Betty. Now here's where the backstory comes in. Betty and I are super tight friends, and we've always had a sort of chemistry with each other. Any feelings we may have had for each other stayed pretty well under wraps (I guess neither of us thought it was a possibility). But those feelings have always been there (for me at least, I learned last night it was the same for her), even when we've been with other people. Again, they just stayed buried.

So here we are, drunk, and I'm yelling at her to stop playing with the damn iPod speakers and come sit on the couch with me. Eventually she does, and I begin to be all brave and try and get close for... well I don't really know what I was going for. I think that whole night I knew something might happen, and kind of wanted it to happen. These last few weeks some stuff has gone on with her that has led me to suspect ulterior motives :P

Where was I? Oh right. So anyways, I can't quite remember the details, but after some flirting, we ended up making out. Like... this wasn't nervous first time kissing kind of garbage, it was pretty full-on tongue-down-my-throat making out.

The friends come back, we are apart in an instant, but not fast enough for Valerie to not notice. She fuckin' comes up and high fives both of us (she told me later she totally knew it was gonna happen). Betty and I just play it cool and let the night continue.

Later, after some more fun and adventures with alcohol, Betty and I end up making out again, only in front of everyone. Aaaaaaaaand then everyone kind of made out with everyone on the floor (it was quite the night). This is when Betty and I left for somewhere more private, and we ended up on a couch in the basement where basically I went from a guy who had no experience with women at all to "Holy flying shit, she's not wearing her shirt or her bra". Yeah. Funny how things happen.

After that, we ended up just cuddling on teh couch, and I told her that I hoped what happened meant something. She told me it did. And there was some other romantic blah blah blah. Fell asleep.

Woke up the next morning, and things were fine. She had no qualms with lying there next to me, it was quite wonderful to be perfectly honest.

SO IT LOOKS LIKE THINGS ARE GOING PRETTY GOOD I'D SAY, RIGHT? Here's the problem.

She's leaving to go live in Peru for six months. In less than 4 weeks. Fuck my life and it's shitty timing.

I heard today from Valerie, having talked to Betty at work, that everything that happened last night was the real deal. Betty really really likes me, I really really like her, but there is that little issue of her going away for six months. Here's where I come to you guys.

I really don't know what the best way to do this is. I don't wanna just drop it and say we can't act on this cuz she's leaving, but it'd be so hard to let the relationship escalate and then have to be put on hold while she leaves :( And when she gets back, what then? Do I just wait for her? Shit!

Tl;dr: Ended up hooking up with a girl I've always liked, she likes me back, but she's going away for half a fuckin' year in less then a month.

GreasyKidsStuff on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Spend the time you can while you have it, and see what happens. You two have known each other for a long time, maybe long enough that she'll be happy to wait for you. Are you happy to wait for her? If you are, let her decide what she wants to do. If she feels the same, keep in touch with her as best you can. If not, try to be happy for her, and let her go.

Either way, it's much easier to say than to do.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's just bad timing. Enjoy the time you'll have together, and move on when it's over.

You can try the long distance thing, but that is very hit or miss. You can also try and wait, but she might not, and who's to say you two will feel the same way about each other when she gets back?

Take it as it goes.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    FembotFembot Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Six months is not forever. Whatever you decide, make sure you're both on the same page about it.

Fembot on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I really hope that we can enjoy the rest of the time we have. Valerie told me that trying to maintain any kind of relationship without seeing each other for six months would be difficult.

I'm gonna talk to her tomorrow and we will hopefully sort this out.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Or you could go to Peru with her. :^:

Failing that, I suggest, if you really care for her, you tell her so. Enjoy a great relationship with her for the next few weeks, then tell her to have fun in Peru and that you can't wait to see her again when she gets back. Maybe trade emails and write her often. It's not like she's going to Peru for ever and ever.

She's coming back. Wait for her.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pack your bags, playboy.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was in just about the same situation that you are in a few months ago. There was this girl who was a friend of mine (but we both had feelings for each other) and I had the chance to bring our relationship up a level before she left for the summer. I'm staying at college during the summer, she was going home, and she will be going to Switzerland until March after the summer is over. Citing her trip to Switzerland (and the fact I graduate in December) I decided not to do anything.

And I've regretted it ever since. Seriously, go for it man. The only real chance I'll have to hang out with her will be a week in which I might be able to make, depending if I can get the time off work or if I'll even be able to afford the trip back. Go for it.

Matt_S on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Six months isn't bad. What, you think she's gonna like, hook up with an Inca and never come back?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Six months isn't bad. What, you think she's gonna like, hook up with an Inca and never come back?

That would be hillarious. And possibly make for a poor teen movie.

Anyway, fuck it man, go for it. You said you haven't had much experience with women so nows your chance to increase your ability and confidence which will only serve to help you in later life. Plus it's with a close friend so something even better could come of it.

So yeah man, go for it.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a friend whose girlfriend left for a full year to teach in the north (we're talking inuits, extreme north of Canada, far away), and she did it twice. Two full school years she's been away, only to come back a few days during that period and for 2-3 months between the two years.

Now that she's back, the've been living happily together in their own house with their newborn daughter.

So, really, just wait it out. It's totally doable.

Djiem on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My gf and I have done:

14 months apart (school)
    3 months apart (her doing research)
    3 months apart (me getting visa)

None of it is easy to begin with. But it gets easier as you get into it and realise that like doesn't stop. If you're serious about it, you can probably call her quite regularly on Skype. Skype pretty much saved our relationship.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My personal philosophy is if there are any strong feelings there go for it. If you don't at least try, you'll have to live the rest of your life with that question in the back of your head of whether or not your life would have been better if you had just tried.

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    So, really, just wait it out. It's totally doable.
    It is. I'd say a year would be a real stretch, but six months should be possible. I got together with my girlfriend shortly before she went overseas for four months, and we're still together over 10 years later.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    robotsintheskiesrobotsintheskies Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Make those six months last. That is all.

robotsintheskies on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    My gf and I have done:

14 months apart (school)
    3 months apart (her doing research)
    3 months apart (me getting visa)

None of it is easy to begin with. But it gets easier as you get into it and realise that like doesn't stop. If you're serious about it, you can probably call her quite regularly on Skype. Skype pretty much saved our relationship.

I agree that you should do what you can while she's here, and play it by ear. Make sure you're on the same page as others have said. Also the Skype thing is a good idea. Unlike if she would be going to Europe, Asia, or Australia your time zones will be similar, so it shouldn't be hard to chat every couple of days before bed, or whatever.

Cauld on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alright guys, thanks a ton. This helps, really. It's nice to see that others have been in the same situation, and that it's turned out alright for most of you. :)

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you think there's serious potential here, then six months isn't a terribly long time to wait. Plus you can maintain an adequate level of contact via the internet and phone. If you want to head down that road though, make sure to talk about the sorts of expectations you both have for your time away from each other. I mean that in terms of making commitments to not screw around on each other during the absence, as well as setting down some guidelines about when and how often to get in touch.

Long distances are completely workable, especially if they're of limited duration, but you want those things hammered out in person before she leaves. And if you can't come to an agreement on those sorts of things, then maybe this isn't the right idea for the two of you. The last thing I'd want to see is another thread in this forum three months down the road with you worrying about her fidelity, or the stability of the relationship.

Really the only downside I see here is that with only a month to move things along (and likely a busy month for her as she's off to another country), you may find it difficult to create a strong enough connection for you and her to feel confident in. If things don't seem shiny, there's no harm in a six month "let's see where we are" break.

Entriech on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going through something similar with my girlfriend. Granted, we had atleast half a year when things started, not less then a month. However, with a deadline on the relationship and the full knowledge that she'll be away for the better part of a year, we both agreed to break it off when she leaves and play the rest by ear. I'd rather keep the friendship then have a strained distance relationship and the baggage it brings, but that's my opinion.

But I digress, OP, appreciate the time you have left with the girl. There's absolutely no need to get too attached right now as six months is a long time (and terribly short, as well). Not to say long distance relationships don't work, but it's absolutely a strain on both the romantic side of things, and the friendship itself. Keep things casual, it's much simpler for everyone involved. I'm sure she'll appreciate not feeling pressured to make something work in such little time.

Others may disagree with me on this, and I will say there is no right party, but I'd suggest not waiting for someone that is going to be gone for half a year. Your friend is going to be in a new country (as far as I know) with new people, no matter how close she may be to you, I doubt that she'll put her life on pause for you - you shouldn't either.

Stay in touch, be friends, appreciate the little time you have now for some casual fun but don't get attached in the moment. When she returns in six months, if you're both single and willing, pick it up then.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wootloops wrote: »
    Others may disagree with me on this, and I will say there is no right party, but I'd suggest not waiting for someone that is going to be gone for half a year.
    Whichever way the OP chooses to go, he should make sure it's been clearly communicated beforehand. That could be as simple as saying "Hey, I really like you and all, but this is a really new thing, why don't we leave it for now and see how things go when you get back", or "Listen, I know six months is a while, but I don't mind waiting for you to get back, unless you think that's too much too soon". Just as long as the two of them are on the same page. I don't want to see a thread from the OP six months from now with "zomg you cheated on me" / "but I thought we were on a break!" type woes.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Haha, man, I've had this precise story happen like 3 times now. I must have a knack for it.
    6 months isn't that bad though, these 3 times I've managed to pull that shit the people in question were gone for closer to a year.
    I wouldn't recommend trying to maintain any sort of long-distance romantic relationship during that time, they don't work at all in my experience.

Keep in touch , but don't let it be(come) a burden for either of you.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If she were going to leave and have no definite plans of coming back, it would be difficult, but she's got plans to come back, so it's in all likelihood going to be a temporary thing. You say you guys have been close friends for a while, so your attraction probably has a fairly solid basis. It sounds like you have a shot at a good relationship, and the only drawback is the 6 months of separation. I say totally go for it. Or you could wait until she comes back and see how you two feel.

My boyfriend and I were two classes apart in college, so he graduated and moved away two years before I could. It was tough, though I don't think I ever had to go 6 months in a row without seeing him, since we visited each other a few times a year. Don't worry about the six months. It will be tough, especially since you say you've had no experience with women, so this is probably your first serious relationship, but it will be over eventually. I don't think something that is, in the grand scheme of things, a minor inconvenience should stop you from entering into a relationship with her.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Write her letters. At least once a week.

This sounds like the beginning of a great story to tell your friends one day.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Six months is short. Very short. Keep in contact with her as best you can, then pick up where you left off when she gets back.

For maximum emotional health, do something for yourself during those six months. Travel. Volunteer. Do something new. You don't want her coming back and telling you about the amazing things she did and all the personal growth she experienced, while you sat at home and kept up with the latest reality shows.

Denada on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bah. Six months ain't that bad. After you've been together long enough, you'll not even remember it.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, again, thanks a whole bunch, all of you. I think I'm seeing her tonight, and I am going to make sure that we come to some sort of decision as to what we are gonna do. And hopefully it'll work out.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My gut feeling tell me : Go for it, man!

You seem to really like each other, so I think it have a good chance of working out for you guys ;)

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg