I was going to stick this in the help/advice forum but I think this might be more appropriate. I picked up a new sound system last night and I'm having some issues. I'm running a Yamaha HTR 6160 for a receiver and the speakers are Harmon/Kardon HKTS 15.
For the sake of ease I'll tell you how I have everything wired in terms of each component:
1. 42 inch Samsung LCD - HDMI cable from the HDMI OUT on the receiver
2. HD Cable/PVR box - Component (RGB) cables running to the Receiver with Digital Coax cable running to the receiver for sound
3. Xbox 360 - Component (RGB) cables running to the receiver with an optical cable for sound
4. PS3 - HDMI cable to the HDMI IN on the receiver
5. Wii - Component (RBG) cables running to the receiver with just left and right audio for sound (RW)
Now, the problems I'm having are manifold. The PS3 seems to be running just fine. I'm getting picture and audio just fine. The HD Cable/PVR box - I'm getting audio but not on the same channel as the video, obviously this is problematic.
The 360 I'm not seeing at all - nor am I getting any audio. I switched the the input to standard def and I could see picture but there was still no sound - plus I'd obviously want it to run in HD.
Just for shits and giggles I took the optical cable and ran it from the cable box to the receiver and that fixed things in terms of getting audio/visual on the same channel for the TV - however that leaves the 360 with only left and right (RW) audio cords for sound - I'd prefer to use the optical to maintain quality.
If any of you can see that I'm doing something claringly wrong I'd appreciate the insight. Honestly, I imagine this is futile without actually seeing the set up but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Here's a link to the receiver as well: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567572