Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WAR] Thread: CEs Betaning NOW on the A server! Or some of us are.

2456763

Posts

  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    I know everything. I am the Alpha and the Omega.

    sounds like a pretty lonely relationship

    That's what the internet is for.

    Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Q. WAR, huh? Good God, y'all, what is it good for?

    SammyF on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Lets talk about money again.

    Unknown User on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2008
    What sucks is not having a newsletter yet.

    I want a production podcast!

    Also, I want to know how hard they try to spin the cuts.

    LightRider on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh my, I actually have a real question I am too lazy to look up. Let us consult this council of lunatics for clarity.

    I hope this ain't NDA breaking.

    Anyways, can the opposing factions of this game understand each other? Is there a language barrier like there was in WoW? Even though it wouldn't make much sense (I would assume Chaos humans speak the same language as the Empirites, but maybe have a funny Norwegian accent) I really don't want to hear the pure drivel coming from my opponents mouth as we ravage them.

    tl;dr Do everything orcs say get translated to "WAAAGHH" to the opposing faction?

    MoosehatIV on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SammyF wrote: »
    Q. WAR, huh? Good God, y'all, what is it good for?

    A: Greenskins Stunty Stomping. HOOAH!

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Q. WAR, huh? Good God, y'all, what is it good for?

    A. WAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!



    Ok... so Newsletter this week. Woo. It'd be wonderful of them to drop the NDA with it.

    But, I imagine that'll happen in Liepzig or PAX.

    The new cinematic is supposed to be in Liepzig, so maybe the NDA will fall there too.
    Anyways, can the opposing factions of this game understand each other? Is there a language barrier like there was in WoW?

    No cross-Realm communication.
    Order (Empire, Elves, Dwarfs) can talk to eachother.
    Destruction (Chaos, Dark Elves, Greenskins) can talk to eachother.

    But Order cannot talk to Destruction, and vice-versa. It'll probably be like DAoC, where there will be "Morskittar says something in a language you cannot understand!"

    Cross-faction talking would devolve into useless trash-talking. It would be used for harassement and other bad things.

    Selner on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Honestly I have no idea aside from being asked if I wanted to group, never seen many people talk at all.

    bloodyroarxx on
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Half of the cuts make complete sense, so theres no need to spin them really.

    Unknown User on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh thank god. Not being able to hear the other faction is the best thing since sliced bread.

    Edit: Though I would like to see some fun with this.

    Robothero says something you don't understand. You feel it might have been insulting.

    Morskittar says something in a language you don't understand, but he frantically gestures to his hat. You are still confused.

    Darkwolfe rambles in a language you don't understand. He looks drunk.

    MoosehatIV on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Oh my, I actually have a real question I am too lazy to look up. Let us consult this council of lunatics for clarity.

    I hope this ain't NDA breaking.

    Anyways, can the opposing factions of this game understand each other? Is there a language barrier like there was in WoW? Even though it wouldn't make much sense (I would assume Chaos humans speak the same language as the Empirites, but maybe have a funny Norwegian accent) I really don't want to hear the pure drivel coming from my opponents mouth as we ravage them.

    tl;dr Do everything orcs say get translated to "WAAAGHH" to the opposing faction?

    As per con demos and Mythic's interviews, factions cannot speak to each other. I haven't seen anything that indicates text is translated for the other side, though.

    edit: slooooow

    Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Not being able to hear the other faction is the worst thing since expired milk.

    Unknown User on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I take it you enjoy hearing nothing but "Omg hax" "Wtf?" "uhearttehpenis!" "Chaos? More like GAYOS!!!!"

    MoosehatIV on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    My emotional shell isn't made of brittle plastic, and since I usually play on RP servers so I rarely experience any of that, and if I did it really doesn't bother me.


    No, I enjoy getting to know my enemy, being able to interact with the outside of just randomly seeing them on the battlefield or through forum discussions. Game communities are always stronger when you can actually interact with the people you play with and against.

    Unknown User on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My emotional shell is made out of a sarcasm alloy with reinforced boozonium plating thank you very much.

    Oh, and I agree. I really wish that could be the case. I file this problem under the "This why we can't have nice things" category. If everyone had an ounce of damn sense and wasn't such a huge jackass on the web it would be nice to have a discourse with your enemy. However, since it can... and will... be horribly horribly abused I enjoy that I at least don't have to listen to morons all day. At least the ones that are not on my own side...

    Edit: That wasn't a shot at anyone here. I am a bitter ex-Alliance player. I hated my own faction more than the enemy.

    MoosehatIV on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Which is why I enjoy FFA or a limited-availability to kill morons on my own faction.

    Unknown User on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't mind cross-faction talk. As long as they can't send tells to you, I think it'd work out fine

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Having recently played CoX again, I like how they did cross faction stuff. You can start up chat rooms which people from either side can join and chat in. Makes perfect sense!

    Unknown User on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Which is why I enjoy FFA or a limited-availability to kill morons on my own faction.

    Again, quite sadly under the category of "Why we can't have nice things". This would be great if it wasn't for abuse.

    MoosehatIV on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    no, it's still pretty great

    but everyone wants flowers and candy and rainbows everywhere, at all times

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    no, it's still pretty great

    but everyone wants flowers and candy and rainbows everywhere, at all times

    pretty much this.


    I'm telling you, if Mythic released a server that was Open RvR with the option for in-faction warfare (see: the guild war system from Ultima Online), Age of Conan would have to shut down. WoW's PvP servers would die off as well.

    It would have all of the fun of the Open RvR ruleset, and also give the option for people who want to fight people on their own faction the ability to do so. If you don't want to participate in that aspect of the game, you have the option not to.

    Unknown User on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    no, it's still pretty great

    but everyone wants flowers and candy and rainbows everywhere, at all times

    pretty much this.


    I'm telling you, if Mythic released a server that was Open RvR with the option for in-faction warfare (see: the guild war system from Ultima Online), Age of Conan would have to shut down. WoW's PvP servers would die off as well.

    It would have all of the fun of the Open RvR ruleset, and also give the option for people who want to fight people on their own faction the ability to do so. If you don't want to participate in that aspect of the game, you have the option not to.

    Robot why do you keep fighting this sad, hopeless fight.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I feel like this conversation has been done before. Who wants to talk about hats?

    MoosehatIV on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    Why is it sad and hopeless? I don't remember seeing Mythic say they weren't planning on alternate rulesets, and I never mentioned FFA.

    Unknown User on
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    read the beta forums you scrub

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    My point stands.

    Unknown User on
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    my point stands whenever your mom walks into the room

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    My mom is a fox you better remember that.

    Unknown User on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Why is it sad and hopeless? I don't remember seeing Mythic say they weren't planning on alternate rulesets, and I never mentioned FFA.

    I just realized I've forgotten where precisely my cause for deeming it sad and hopless was said so...yeah.

    Get back to you on that. :V

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah a fox is fine too

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    I feel like this conversation has been done before. Who wants to talk about hats?

    omegahat.jpg

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • HompHomp Registered User
    edited July 2008
    There isn't a single piece of art for WAR that isn't just awesome.

    Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, the Knight hat is good... but I think if they both lowered their heads and charged the dark elf hat would win. Spines are a valuable thing.

    MoosehatIV on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Hmm, the Knight hat is good... but I think if they both lowered their heads and charged the dark elf hat would win. Spines are a valuable thing.

    You underestimate the lethality of superior style.

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    those feathers aren't just for show
    actually yes they are

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Hmm, the Knight hat is good... but I think if they both lowered their heads and charged the dark elf hat would win. Spines are a valuable thing.

    You underestimate the lethality of superior style.

    Are you saying that the Knights of the Burning sun and the Sorceresses would battle in some sort of ... dance fight with the Knight using his booming voice to shout out his moves as he spun and snapped his fingers to an invisible yet powerful beat, while the Sorceress' twirls and movements gathered the dark shadow dance magic which gave her speed and style forbidden to the other races but threatened to consume her at every turn!?!?!

    MoosehatIV on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Hmm, the Knight hat is good... but I think if they both lowered their heads and charged the dark elf hat would win. Spines are a valuable thing.

    You underestimate the lethality of superior style.

    Are you saying that the Knights of the Burning sun and the Sorceresses would battle in some sort of ... dance fight with the Knight using his booming voice to shout out his moves as he spun and snapped his fingers to an invisible yet powerful beat, while the Sorceress' twirls and movements gathered the dark shadow dance magic which gave her speed and style forbidden to the other races but threatened to consume her at every turn!?!?!

    Wha-

    Yes. Yes that is exactly what I am saying.
    wut

    Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought we'd been through this, there is no dancing in WAR. Harrumph.

    Toothy on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh, ok. Glad we are on the same page then.

    MoosehatIV on
This discussion has been closed.