As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FioS 20/20 Package today!

13»

• Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can not have this fabled "FIOS", although Verizon advertises it heavily here. It is as though they mock me with their sweet sweet candy.

That said, Comcast speeds at my place of residence are hella quick by my crappy standards. 1.2MB/s down from usenet, 3.0MB/s burst ("superboost" or whatever they call it) for the first 10 seconds or so.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haha, so what's the solution, unplug the modem every 10 seconds for "sustained" 3.0mbps? :P

1ddqd on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know much about this stuff so I'm at a loss as to why you'd need a different router besides what FioS gives you. I'm not denying it at all, I'd be happy to get better performance, but before I can invest money in it I need to understand it all a little better.

can any of you explain it to me like I was a grammar school student? I know very little about all this stuff besides the basic of home networking.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The wireless router Verizon gives you has crappy wireless reception, typically not much more than 25 to 50 ft, if that...

The reason I want to use my router is because my does Wireless N, whie theirs is G, and my as a gigabit switch in it (10/100/1000mbps) while their only does 10/100.... I have a server on my network with 1.64TB and another computer with about 1.24TB, doing this backup over a 100mbps connection can take a couple of days, whiel over a gigabit network takes far less time... This server also hosts webs sites for me (See my sig)...

Not using their router makes my transfer speeds quicker between computers, and bypassing their router allows my server to be seen by the outside world...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thanks a bunch.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The other problem with the Actiontec router is that it is HORRIBLE with QoS (quality of service) when it comes to prioritizing packets (the little "packets" of data that tell your PC wtf it's doing online, whether downloading, uploading, gaming, etc). The DIR-455 that I have uses GameFuel software routing to manage my packets. It basically prioritizes everything for games (and it recognizes a TON of games). What this means is that when I'm gaming, I can also be downloading at well over 2MB/s (not 2 mbps, which is less) and still have a very low in-game ping (20 or less).

1ddqd on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thats increadibly good for that kind of $. Is there anything even comparable to this over here in Canada? The one i used to have in my apartment was a Shaw one that had am average DL speed of 1.5mb/s

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Looks like Bell Canada and CA*Net have some options, from a quick www.google.ca search for "fiber internet canada" ;)

1ddqd on
  • Options
    CambiosCambios Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have heard many good things about Fios. Wish they had it in my area..*shakes fist at comcast*

Same here. A good friend has FIOS and he loves it. I don't understand why the rollout on this is so slow. It is amazing.

Cambios on
    -Cambios
    Blogging about Online Gaming and Virtual Worlds:
    http://www.muckbeast.com
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been playing Tf2 with it, not only are my pings REALLY low, but I'm finding all these awesome servers that would otherwise have really high ping rates... It's awesome...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    20gb/day on my upload (12:00AM-11:59PM) - my ratio is atrocious now!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cambios wrote: »
    I have heard many good things about Fios. Wish they had it in my area..*shakes fist at comcast*

Same here. A good friend has FIOS and he loves it. I don't understand why the rollout on this is so slow. It is amazing.

Its crazy expensive to install it. Verizon is putting up a bunch of $$$ to roll out fiber like this. They have impressed me with how professional they are with their service. I finally got around to calling them about my gift cards. They are looking into it.

They credited me 200$ instead of the giftcards. I'm more then happy with their service.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WOO HOO. I just got off the phone with the FIOS sales rep and we are going to be able to get FIOS October 6th. I set up an appointment for them to call me around that date with all the details. I can't wait. With the money we spend on both cable internet and DSL we will be able to get the 20/5 or the 20/20 and SAVE money every month. I can't wait.

That_Guy on