As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quell my paranoia on spyware, 'Zuten' detected.

SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
So after logging on recently my spyware protection software decided that it would be a good idea to inform me that a program called 'Zuten' had installed itself on my computer. Normally I would have quarantined the thing and gone on my way but for the first time in my life the little warning level thingy was at max, which of course prompted me to do a google search on it.

Only to find that the thing steals...
CD Keys for various games
credit card details
usernames/passwords

and it can also log keystrokes D:

Some sites even say it patches itself into other programs (wtf?).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I just quarantined the file, however should I take any extra precautions? Uninstall any programs or anything?

Or am I just being paranoid?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sparrow on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ok first things first, uninstall all programs, format your hard drive three times and remove it from your case, then you need to get new ram and a new mother board. if you have an older video card get one of those too. then you need to take the old components and perform a virus lock on them. do this by submerging them in pure dish soap and chanting "iwoansa-yalin" for an hour. then you can burn the old components as long as you can make a fire hotter than 3000 degrees. if not, then you can either bury it as deep as you can where you hope noone will ever find it or find a rocket large enough to hurl the still dangerous components into the sun.

its either that or you could just look up how to remove it with google....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Unnecessary dribble

Useful information

Uhh thanks?

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GooseGoose Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    ok first things first, uninstall all programs, format your hard drive three times and remove it from your case, then you need to get new ram and a new mother board. if you have an older video card get one of those too. then you need to take the old components and perform a virus lock on them. do this by submerging them in pure dish soap and chanting "iwoansa-yalin" for an hour. then you can burn the old components as long as you can make a fire hotter than 3000 degrees. if not, then you can either bury it as deep as you can where you hope noone will ever find it or find a rocket large enough to hurl the still dangerous components into the sun.
    That was glorious.

Goose on
    Give a man a fire, and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    - Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Numero Uno should always be disconnecting the network cable ASAP. Hopefully you are posting from your second computer. Everyone has second computers, right?

zanetheinsane on