As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

broken laptop ... saving work!!!!

Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
i havent phisicly had a look at the compy. but im trying to help over the phone. and they guy on a scale of 1 to 10 would be rated about a 1 on knowing about computers.

my mrs old mans lap top. got left on for a very long perod of time and basicly its over heated and gone pop. boots up but then kinda dies gettinginto windows, and then if left a long time trys to slowly draw the screen saver.

he phoned up whoever he got it from, and they basicly said tough luck its dead. i think its probubly a cheep one and if any part goes on it the whole things dead. they also siad that they could try a data recovery for him and quoted about £500

i told him not to bother, and to go get a laptop hard disk caddy/ encloser. pop in the hard disk, tranpher stuff to my mrs pc, burn to disk.

now he dosnt relly know about computers and he says hes found some work form 2002 but everything else is just script

2 posabilatys here.

1 its corrupted data

2 hes not installed what ever program he works with and the file is not recognised untill he installs the program so it open in note pad and looks like jibberish.

so worst case sanario. there corrupted data.... anything i can do?

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
Conroy Bumpas on

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think I almost gouged my eyes out.

Also, if I understand you; you somehow transferred the files from your dad's computer to your own computer then your dad looked at the files and said most of it was gone.

Well opening stuff in notepad that requires a different program to open it usually gives you jibberish. So maybe you should try installing Word or whatever it is that your dad used and see if anything becomes recognisable.

The data isn't necessarily corrupted; it might just be that all of it was not transferred.

Edit: If the data is corrupted then you're fucked.

Daxon on
  • Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah so yeah what im asking is any way of recovering corupted data ?

Conroy Bumpas on
    Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • MooblyMoobly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ow...my brain hurts for reading that.

There's ads and that business claiming to be able to recover corrupted data all over the net. You might try 'em, but in my experience, as was mentioned before, corrupted data=dead data.

Moobly on
    steam_sig.png

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. "
    -Aldous Huxley