As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Football 2008: Pick'em info on page 1

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lordswing wrote: »
    Oski wrote: »
    and was it just me or was chris rainey brought down by a horse collar tackle?

Pretty sure he was. I also don't see how on OU's first drive, where the receiver gets KTFO, wasn't an PI.

I'm just glad everyone got to see how terrible ACC refs have been.

*edit*I like this one by an ACC ref

Also, does anyone remember when #75 on the Gators OL gets called for 2 holdings on the same play, how come it wasn't 1st and 20 instead of 1st and 15?

*edit2*I also didn't know you'd get called for unsportsmanlike conduct for doing the 1st down motion, when, you know, you get a 1st down

With Rainey they ruled that the defender didn't reach inside the pads and pull on them to bring Rainey down, but that the defender only had his hands on top of the pads and pushed on them to bring him down.
    9.1.2-p:
    All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the runner down. This does not apply to a runner who is inside the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

I thought it was a horse collar, but they didn't show any replays to show exactly where the defender's hands were. I also saw a blatant hold by a lineman on that play that wasn't called.

As for the LT of Florida getting those 2 consecutive false starts, they ruled that the 2nd one came after the quarter had ended.

Really, it's hard to understate how bad the officiating was all night. As opposed to Pac 10 refs who seem to go out of their way to get calls wrong, the crew in this game seemingly decided to stop calling anything but blatant false starts. If I were a conspiracy buff, I'd wonder if a certain phone call didn't come down after the scoreless 1st quarter telling them to stop calling every holding penalty or no one would ever score.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But you're not a conspiracy buff, so you'll just suggest it? :P

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, there were a lot of calls being reviewed. I guess to the ACC crew's credit, none of them were reversed, but that first quarter seemed like it took a while.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'd say it makes a lot more sense that the officials are simply bad at their jobs than part of some grand conspiracy. There aren't many grand conspiracies in the world. There are a ton of people bad at their job. So the odds are on my side.

I'm more likely to believe in a conspiracy regarding the game's MVP, which I would have given to Harvin. I thought he was the best player on the field last night, and unlike Tebow (2 INT) I don't recall him making a single significant mistake. And he delivered on a bad leg, which Nic Harris may have tried to re-aggravate (no penalty on that either).

But given the hype leading up to the game and the commentary in the game, it looks like it was predetermined that Tebow would get the MVP if Florida won. I mean, Harvin scored on a direct snap with Tebow on the bench and as soon as Harvin scored the announcers started going off about Tebow. He wasn't even on the field for the play!

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm pretty sure Tebow would have been MVP if Florida had lost.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

I'd say it makes a lot more sense that the officials are simply bad at their jobs than part of some grand conspiracy. There aren't many grand conspiracies in the world. There are a ton of people bad at their job. So the odds are on my side.

I'm more likely to believe in a conspiracy regarding the game's MVP, which I would have given to Harvin. I thought he was the best player on the field last night, and unlike Tebow (2 INT) I don't recall him making a single significant mistake. And he delivered on a bad leg, which Nic Harris may have tried to re-aggravate (no penalty on that either).

But given the hype leading up to the game and the commentary in the game, it looks like it was predetermined that Tebow would get the MVP if Florida won. I mean, Harvin scored on a direct snap with Tebow on the bench and as soon as Harvin scored the announcers started going off about Tebow. He wasn't even on the field for the play!

His mere presence totally changed the outcome! His vicinity to the team.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Tebow would have been MVP if Florida had lost to Alabama.

Fixed.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Too funny not to post:

1231485080911.gif

Zenitram on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I had the Sugar Bowl (Utah/Alabama) recorded but it seems my roommate decided to delete it for some strange reason. Is there anywhere online to possibly watch the game?

Crayon on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

His mere presence totally changed sexual undertones of the broadcast of the championship! His vicinity to the team.

fixed.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Crayon wrote: »
    I had the Sugar Bowl (Utah/Alabama) recorded but it seems my roommate decided to delete it for some strange reason. Is there anywhere online to possibly watch the game?
    I could have sworn that FOX has been saying that they'd have each BCS game up in it's entirety on their foxsports.com site the day after the game, but I'll be damned if I can find anything other than the highlights.

Rumor has it that you can buy (haha?) the full games on iTunes if you have a hankering to pay $2.99 to get a copy of any of the BCS bowls.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    TasteicleTasteicle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the bowl games are on hulu

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    OskiOski Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    what a great fucking year

its going to be interesting to see if tebow and bradford elect to go to the draft

honestly i think both could use another year to develop, but i guess we'll see

Oski on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

its going to be interesting to see if tebow and bradford elect to go to the draft

The big question is which QB will make a fuss about not wanting to go to the Detroit Lions (see Eli Manning crying about the possibility of being drafted by the Chargers)

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    honestly, I wouldn't want to go to the lions.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Lions shouldn't pick a QB. Crappy QBs can win Super Bowls as long as they're not stupid QBs. Crappy defenses can't and crappy offensive lines can't.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Woo, I wound up in 3rd in the pickem. Not bad for starting out as lousy as I did. Total rank #156996... :|

Visiblehowl just destroyed everyone, though.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Tebow might as well stay, there's not much in the NFL for him unless he wants to play FB or TE. Bradford should go, just because it's a pretty thin year for QBs - especially if Sanchez stays.

NFL teams are hardly salivating over spread QBs, though. Bad enough that they have no idea how to work play action, but Bradford wasn't even making his own pre-snap reads this year. And that's just against college defenses. No offense to Charlie Strong and Will Muschamp, but they're not exactly mad scientists on the Dick LeBeau/Jim Johnson/Rex Ryan level.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I disagree. I think Tebow's smart enough and strong enough to lead a team that tends to depend on the run and defense- the Ravens would have been great. Maybe the Bears (one can only hope).

Thats what I think Bradford's weakness might be- he has no experience calling plays on the field.

And the Lions absolutely shouldn't take a QB but they will, just cause their the lines. Smith or Oher would be the choice, but you know the GM will take Stafford or Bradford just for shits and giggles.

Oski on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Woo, I wound up in 3rd in the pickem. Not bad for starting out as lousy as I did. Total rank #156996... :|

Visiblehowl just destroyed everyone, though.

Yeah, I ended up 2200th overall or something.

Which apparently is enough to be in the 99% percentile. Go me!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I disagree. I think Tebow's smart enough and strong enough to lead a team that tends to depend on the run and defense- the Ravens would have been great. Maybe the Bears (one can only hope).

Thats what I think Bradford's weakness might be- he has no experience calling plays on the field.

And the Lions absolutely shouldn't take a QB but they will, just cause their the lines. Smith or Oher would be the choice, but you know the GM will take Stafford or Bradford just for shits and giggles.

Tebow has pretty significant mechanical issues. He's got a long windup. I know a half second delay doesn't seem like much, but add a half second to Joe Flacco last Saturday and his TD pass to Derrick Mason is intercepted. He's also too quick to tuck and run in the pocket, rather than going through his progressions. That tends to work better when there's no Ray Lewises in the opposing LB corps - especially considering Tebow doesn't slide. At any rate, he's returning to Florida after his draft evaluations came back "mixed" - most of the talk says projected late 1st to 3rd, but didn't say at what position.

I'm not sold on Bradford at all at the pro level. He benefitted a lot from a very good pass-blocking line and WRs like Iglesias who put up big YAC numbers. He struggled when Florida started blitzing in the 2nd half, and that's with the limited reads the Oklahoma offense demands of the QB. He's supposed to have this great deep arm, but other than on seam routes to Gresham (who has usually smoked the LB by then) it doesn't show up very consistently.

Frankly, I don't see any reason to consider either even close to Stafford on draft day.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah Tebow said he is coming back for another season. I'm interested to know the fates of the 3 Big 12 quarterbacks and if they all leave then what happens to their teams next year.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How did Stafford's grades look? I haven't seen or heard anything since he and Mareno (sp?) both declared themselves as eligible for the draft.

@Khaczor: I think McCoy already said he's coming back for his senior year. Harrell's leaving from my understanding, and I haven't heard if Bradford will be back yet. My guess is that he will be. I think he needs more time before he'll command a decent spot in the draft.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The problem with Stafford is that he is at times inexplicably retarded. All the talent in the world, but sometimes his decision making is troubling, and if you're like that in college, it's not encouraging.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think it's this alone that is going to keep a LOT of these juniors in the fold for another year - nobody wants to go to Detroit.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How did Stafford's grades look? I haven't seen or heard anything since he and Mareno (sp?) both declared themselves as eligible for the draft.

@Khaczor: I think McCoy already said he's coming back for his senior year. Harrell's leaving from my understanding, and I haven't heard if Bradford will be back yet. My guess is that he will be. I think he needs more time before he'll command a decent spot in the draft.

Do you mean draft grades or school grades?

Moreno isn't projected that high, given the hype he came into the season with. Most have him going behind Ohio St's Beanie Wells, and somewhere in the mid-late 1st. Good combines from Donald Brown (UConn) and CJ Spiller (Clemson) could potentially drop him to 3rd among RBs.

Bradford will probably be a top 10 pick and a top 2 QB in the draft, he really doesn't stand to gain much by returning to school. In addition he'll be losing his entire O-Line.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I meant draft grades; at this point I don't think it does any good to know how he's faring in his declared major. :wink:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The problem with Stafford is that he is at times inexplicably retarded. All the talent in the world, but sometimes his decision making is troubling, and if you're like that in college, it's not encouraging.

Sanchez has this issue too, and it's a double-edged sword. It's a product of their teams asking them to make pro-style reads, and at times they struggle with it. Still, it gives them a head start over spread QBs who, despite huge stats, aren't used to making those types of reads at all.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I meant draft grades; at this point I don't think it does any good to know how he's faring in his declared major. :wink:

Oh, I thought you might be wondering if they had declared because they were failing classes or something.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, I guess that might be kind of interesting to know. But no, that was not where I was going with that line of questioning.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Sanchez has this issue too, and it's a double-edged sword. It's a product of their teams asking them to make pro-style reads, and at times they struggle with it. Still, it gives them a head start over spread QBs who, despite huge stats, aren't used to making those types of reads at all.

Right, which is why the Lions should absolutely not draft a QB. Also because their line blows and rookie QB + 40+ sacks = not happy times. Build on the lines and when you're ready to make a run, sign a decent but more importantly not stupid veteran QB who won't turn the ball over. That's my theory, anyway.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think 'don't draft a QB until you think you have the line you want for 2-3 years at least' is probably a good rule of thumb.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So Austin Collie is going into the draft, which is awesome. Man If The Seahawks pick him up, i can actually have a huge desire to watch them again.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think its good that Tebows coming back for another year. If Harvin goes I think he'll have trouble repeating, put he could also have another sophomore season- except this time take them to that national championship.

I think if he gets better with his reads and throwing mechanics he'll be a great NFL prospect.

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think its good that Tebows coming back for another year. If Harvin goes I think he'll have trouble repeating, put he could also have another sophomore season- except this time take them to that national championship.

I think if he gets better with his reads and throwing mechanics he'll be a great NFL prospect.

They'll be preseason #1 regardless of Harvin.

They return the entire starting defense, with the maybe exception of Spikes, and 7 of 11 immediate backups.

They return 8-9 of 11 offensive starters, depending on Harvin, losing their tackles. They return their top 3 RBs. They return 5 of their top 6 WRs (4 if Harvin leaves), all of whom are Seniors.

Out of the 24 starters (11 Off, 11 Def, 2 kickers), Florida returns 21.

And they have a cake schedule - 8 home games vs only 4 roadies, and they miss Alabama, Mississippi, and Miami. The best team they play all year might end up being Troy.

I'll be fairly shocked if Florida loses a game in 2009.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i'd honestly like to see them go undefeated next year, see tebow win the heisman, see him get drafted first in the nfl, and kick everloving ASS

Oski on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    6MB gifs make baby jesus cry Bubba.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Taylor Mays is returning to USC. Which: dammit. He was mysteriously rated such that the Lions could get him with the Cowboys #1 pick and that would have been awesome.

Also, fuck USC.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Taylor Mays is returning to USC. Which: dammit. He was mysteriously rated such that the Lions could get him with the Cowboys #1 pick and that would have been awesome.

Also, fuck USC.

Isn't that Dallas pick #20? Mays was never going to fall that far. The latest he'd slip to is the #14-15 combo of New Orleans and Houston, who both desperately need help in the secondary.

BubbaT on